Texas 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
akili

Gold

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Post by akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:46 pm

congrats!

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:47 pm

mfeller2 wrote:In today! Got a call from the 512 just a little bit ago.
awesome congrats! when did you submit/go complete?

mfeller2

Bronze

Post by mfeller2 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 pm

aquyenl wrote:
mfeller2 wrote:In today! Got a call from the 512 just a little bit ago.
awesome congrats! when did you submit/go complete?
Thanks! I applied in early December not sure what day (15th?) and went complete December 21st.

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:58 pm

12thman2011 wrote:1. I'm talking about the current direction of the programs. A&M is coming off a trip to the Cotton Bowl and texas sat on the couch this bowl season. Texas basically has a whole new coaching staff coming in because of the product on the field last year. Mack Brown is a phenomenal recruiter but he's got shit for brains when it comes to X and Os. He surrounds himself with top flight assistance to do the coaching. I give him props for this because he recognizes his weaknesses. However they'll be running a totally new system on both sides of the ball next year and that kind of drastic change always takes time to gel. They want to run a power running game and yet their O-line is totally recruited to run a spread and can't fire off the ball to blow people off the line and open up running lanes. I can go on but nobody probably has a clue about what I'm talking about anyway.

2. A&M was an all male military school up until the mid 60s and Texas had about 3 times the enrollment. Since A&M admitted women and their enrollment grew to numbers comparable to texas the football record is about even. Y'all feel free to count them up if you're that interested.
One good season doesn't mean the program has turned around. If they finish in the Top 15 next year then I'll change my mind but A&M has had no consistency the last 2 decades. They're also coming off a cotton bowl loss in which they got smoked by LSU, in fact they're bowl record from the last couple years is pretty sorry.

They got hot late in the season and went on a run, see if they keep that up next year or if they go back to losing to teams like Arkansas State.

francisConn

Bronze

Post by francisConn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:15 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:1. I'm talking about the current direction of the programs. A&M is coming off a trip to the Cotton Bowl and texas sat on the couch this bowl season. Texas basically has a whole new coaching staff coming in because of the product on the field last year. Mack Brown is a phenomenal recruiter but he's got shit for brains when it comes to X and Os. He surrounds himself with top flight assistance to do the coaching. I give him props for this because he recognizes his weaknesses. However they'll be running a totally new system on both sides of the ball next year and that kind of drastic change always takes time to gel. They want to run a power running game and yet their O-line is totally recruited to run a spread and can't fire off the ball to blow people off the line and open up running lanes. I can go on but nobody probably has a clue about what I'm talking about anyway.

2. A&M was an all male military school up until the mid 60s and Texas had about 3 times the enrollment. Since A&M admitted women and their enrollment grew to numbers comparable to texas the football record is about even. Y'all feel free to count them up if you're that interested.
One good season doesn't mean the program has turned around. If they finish in the Top 15 next year then I'll change my mind but A&M has had no consistency the last 2 decades. They're also coming off a cotton bowl loss in which they got smoked by LSU, in fact they're bowl record from the last couple years is pretty sorry.

They got hot late in the season and went on a run, see if they keep that up next year or if they go back to losing to teams like Arkansas State.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:22 pm

I want to get into UT so bad. It is pretty much all I think about all day long, and my job gives me ALOT of time to think...
Each morning I cross my fingers for a phone call, but I went complete 1/26, so I imagine I have some time to wait...

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:30 pm

AP-375 wrote:I want to get into UT so bad. It is pretty much all I think about all day long, and my job gives me ALOT of time to think...
Each morning I cross my fingers for a phone call, but I went complete 1/26, so I imagine I have some time to wait...
I got 3 calls from 512 numbers today. None from UT Law. :(

12thman2011

New

Post by 12thman2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Longhorn88 wrote: One good season doesn't mean the program has turned around. If they finish in the Top 15 next year then I'll change my mind but A&M has had no consistency the last 2 decades. They're also coming off a cotton bowl loss in which they got smoked by LSU, in fact they're bowl record from the last couple years is pretty sorry.

Texas kind of had some bad losses last year too. Iowa State, Baylor, UCLA ring a bell? Given that's not Arkansas St. but that's not very pretty. Texas also hasn't had an exactly great record record with the top teams from the SEC lately either. A&M has a dismal record in bowl games I know but once again I'm talking about the present direction of the programs. A&M definitely hasn't turned the corner yet but we are moving forward while Texas is regressing.

If y'all actually had any idea what was going on in either program you'd realize that Texas has some serious problems at key positions namely QB and RB. Garret Gilbert was a high school system quarterback that put up huge numbers but doesn't have the ability to run the prostyle attack Texas wants to run. Every running back on the roster is incapable of running out of the I. You'll be depending on a true freshmen who is a bona fide stud, but there is usually a learning curve to adjust for the play at that level. You also happen to have an undersized D-line. There is a ton of athleticism there, but without the size to plug holes you can't stop the run. Which was evident in every loss last year. The receivers couldn't catch a cold if they tried, and I already elaborated on the O-line.

A&M on the other hand has an experienced QB coming back, the best running back tandem in the Big 12, one of the stronger receiving corps, and an athletic front 5 that played together for a year. On the D we have all our players in the secondary returning, and the D-line will be much better suited to run a 3-4 than they were last year. We are losing two very important linebackers depending on how their replacements play will go a long way in deciding how far we go next year.

Please do a little research if you'd like to talk about the two football teams next year.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:
AP-375 wrote:I want to get into UT so bad. It is pretty much all I think about all day long, and my job gives me ALOT of time to think...
I got 3 calls from 512 numbers today. None from UT Law. :(

I got accepted by email never got a call

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:01 pm

12thman2011 wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote: One good season doesn't mean the program has turned around. If they finish in the Top 15 next year then I'll change my mind but A&M has had no consistency the last 2 decades. They're also coming off a cotton bowl loss in which they got smoked by LSU, in fact they're bowl record from the last couple years is pretty sorry.

Texas kind of had some bad losses last year too. Iowa State, Baylor, UCLA ring a bell? Given that's not Arkansas St. but that's not very pretty. Texas also hasn't had an exactly great record record with the top teams from the SEC lately either. A&M has a dismal record in bowl games I know but once again I'm talking about the present direction of the programs. A&M definitely hasn't turned the corner yet but we are moving forward while Texas is regressing.

If y'all actually had any idea what was going on in either program you'd realize that Texas has some serious problems at key positions namely QB and RB. Garret Gilbert was a high school system quarterback that put up huge numbers but doesn't have the ability to run the prostyle attack Texas wants to run. Every running back on the roster is incapable of running out of the I. You'll be depending on a true freshmen who is a bona fide stud, but there is usually a learning curve to adjust for the play at that level. You also happen to have an undersized D-line. There is a ton of athleticism there, but without the size to plug holes you can't stop the run. Which was evident in every loss last year. The receivers couldn't catch a cold if they tried, and I already elaborated on the O-line.

A&M on the other hand has an experienced QB coming back, the best running back tandem in the Big 12, one of the stronger receiving corps, and an athletic front 5 that played together for a year. On the D we have all our players in the secondary returning, and the D-line will be much better suited to run a 3-4 than they were last year. We are losing two very important linebackers depending on how their replacements play will go a long way in deciding how far we go next year.

Please do a little research if you'd like to talk about the two football teams next year.
Oh wow. I know trying to have an honest and thoughtful debate with an aggie is like trying to chop down a brick wall with a fork, but I think I'll try anyway.

You act as if one season has completely reversed the course of these two programs. Need I remind you that the year before Texas was in the national championship game and almost came back against Alabama with a back-up quarterback. That same back-up QB who you say is garbage. Colt McCoy had a pretty awful sophomore season as well, throwing 18 interceptions. He turned out alright.

As for 'regressing', even while posting a losing record UT has brought in a top5 recruiting class.

Yes, there's a huge learning curve for freshmen RBs. Just ask Marcus Lattimore or Mike Dyer.

Our d-line was mostly freshmen last year. They weren't undersized, just inexperienced.

One bad season on Texas' part doesn't mean the program has fallen apart, especially when you look at the context of the past decade. A&M WISHES they could have had only one losing season in the last 10.

A&M has alot of talent coming back next year. But then again, so does the rest of the Big 12 south. What A&M hasn't shown is that they can run the table and beat Texas, OU and OSU. Maybe next year A&M will finally decide to flip the switch and stop being a second-tier team. Or maybe they'll keep having yell practice the night before, rambling on about "t.u." and worshiping dogs.

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:01 pm

But anyway, let's get back to talking about UT Law.

And how OU still sucks.

12thman2011

New

Post by 12thman2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:37 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:
Oh wow. I know trying to have an honest and thoughtful debate with an aggie is like trying to chop down a brick wall with a fork, but I think I'll try anyway.

You act as if one season has completely reversed the course of these two programs. Need I remind you that the year before Texas was in the national championship game and almost came back against Alabama with a back-up quarterback. That same back-up QB who you say is garbage. Colt McCoy had a pretty awful sophomore season as well, throwing 18 interceptions. He turned out alright.

As for 'regressing', even while posting a losing record UT has brought in a top5 recruiting class.

Yes, there's a huge learning curve for freshmen RBs. Just ask Marcus Lattimore or Mike Dyer.

Our d-line was mostly freshmen last year. They weren't undersized, just inexperienced.

One bad season on Texas' part doesn't mean the program has fallen apart, especially when you look at the context of the past decade. A&M WISHES they could have had only one losing season in the last 10.

A&M has alot of talent coming back next year. But then again, so does the rest of the Big 12 south. What A&M hasn't shown is that they can run the table and beat Texas, OU and OSU.
Last one and I'm done. Lattimore and Dyer are outliers and far from the norm. Can Malcolm Brown do that remains to be seen. The difference is Texas has 8 scholarship O-linemen on campus for next season. That's a problem and there's no arguing with it. The second problem is that the o-line was recruited to pass block in a spread offense and Malcolm Brown was recruited to run out of a pro style I formation. I don't care how good the running back is if there aren't holes to run through it doesn't matter.

Texas out recruits almost everybody year in and year out. Mack could sell shoes to a guy without any legs. There is no doubt that Texas has amazing athletes, the problem has been in years past players weren't developed from the time they came on campus. Maybe the new staff will fix that problem. Speaking of Colt he played great but he played in a system that was tailored to his talents. Texas has been unwilling to make that change with Gilbert yet. McCoy also threw a ton of touchdowns to go with those ints where Gilbert really struggled to throw TDs. Gilbert is trash look at his numbers and I'd be willing to bet he's riding the bench by then end of the year unless Connor Wood and little McCoy are absolutely abysmal.

As far as your D-line:
Jackson Jeffcoat: certifiable BA as an outside linebacker but at a 234 DE not so much.
Acho: 6-3, 260 little but the leader of the D and gone next year.
Okafor:6-4 258
Randall: who has anchored your line is pushing 300, and has prototypical size.
Jones: 6-3, 260 graduating though
Y'all have some big fish that were highly recruited coming out of high school that have the size. Their development will be the key to y'alls defense next year IMO.

I agree with you that over the past decade Texas has been the posterchild of stability, and A&M and almost every other team in the NCAA would love to be in their place. You act like there are no problems there though. You have almost an entirely new coaching staff coming in. That's a big deal and a sign that things are not alright. Next season is a huge question mark for Texas and the outcome will either buy Mack a few more years or end his time there.

I'm done now. I've presented facts to you and they seem to be going over your head. Meanwhile you have brought emotion driven arguments that there really is no way to rebut. PM if you'd like a lesson on some of the finer points of the game of football but I'm done derailing the thread.

Sorry about that folks.

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Jamal Charles tore it up in 07 running the same style of spread w/ an option. If anything adding Brown will help Gilbert's passing by keeping defense honest. If they blitz as frequently as they did this past year then Applewhite can kill them with draw plays.

I can't stress enough how much having a new staff will help the team. Losing Muschamp will hurt but Diaz runs alot of the same packages. Getting rid of Greg Davis is like getting rid of a tumor, Applewhite and Harsin will structure the O around our best players.

I'll agree the Oline is fully of questions but, as someone who's been following UT football passionately for 10 years, pretty much every year that we go into the season with a shakey oline they end up fine. This past year the O-line was supposed to be one of the strongest areas of the team. That worked out well.

The DT's I was referring to are Howell and Dorsey. Dorsey is 295, Howell is 290. Also don't forget that Orakpo was about 230lbs when he got to UT. Boys get bigger.

I'm looking forward to the A&M game next year and would love for both teams to be ranked. Hopefully we both get into UT Law and get tickets next year, then I can lecture you at Kyle Field on how Texas' spread is dicing up the A&M secondary.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:Jamal Charles tore it up in 07 running the same style of spread w/ an option. If anything adding Brown will help Gilbert's passing by keeping defense honest. If they blitz as frequently as they did this past year then Applewhite can kill them with draw plays.

I can't stress enough how much having a new staff will help the team. Losing Muschamp will hurt but Diaz runs alot of the same packages. Getting rid of Greg Davis is like getting rid of a tumor, Applewhite and Harsin will structure the O around our best players.

I'll agree the Oline is fully of questions but, as someone who's been following UT football passionately for 10 years, pretty much every year that we go into the season with a shakey oline they end up fine. This past year the O-line was supposed to be one of the strongest areas of the team. That worked out well.

The DT's I was referring to are Howell and Dorsey. Dorsey is 295, Howell is 290. Also don't forget that Orakpo was about 230lbs when he got to UT. Boys get bigger.

I'm looking forward to the A&M game next year and would love for both teams to be ranked. Hopefully we both get into UT Law and get tickets next year, then I can lecture you at Kyle Field on how Texas' spread is dicing up the A&M secondary.
If I end up attending, I'm pretty sure you and I are going to be good friends haha. I can't wait to see Harsin in action. In his presser, they mentioned that he used 20+ formations against some team that Greg Davis only used like 4 formations against. It is going to be a fun offense to watch.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:But anyway, let's get back to talking about UT Law.

And how OU still sucks.

Hey hey.... OU grad here. Let's focus on the aggies.

12thman2011

New

Post by 12thman2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:Jamal Charles tore it up in 07 running the same style of spread w/ an option. If anything adding Brown will help Gilbert's passing by keeping defense honest. If they blitz as frequently as they did this past year then Applewhite can kill them with draw plays.

If we both end up at Texas I'll be sure to get you a ticket for the game at Kyle and I'll show you how a real game day atmosphere is supposed to be. haha If Harsin moves to a spread y'all will have a much improved season (you'll have a better one next year anyway. there's just to much talent to be that bad again). We'll just have to wait until next season to see how many of the questions get answered. Personally I hope none of them do and y'all implode and get hit with some NCAA violations to boot. Wishing anything else would make me a bad Aggie and that I am not. haha

I have a serious question for you about Greg Davis. Why did texas fans hate him so much? He was the architect behind Vince's and Colt's success but then one bad year and y'all run him off on a rail.

Good luck on getting admitted!

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:16 pm

12thman2011 wrote:
I have a serious question for you about Greg Davis. Why did texas fans hate him so much? He was the architect behind Vince's and Colt's success but then one bad year and y'all run him off on a rail.

There's always been alot of grumbling about his play-calling. Most Horns fans see the '05 NC as Vince being Vince. We won the game on a broken play after all.

Greg Davis in one jpeg:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

12thman2011

New

Post by 12thman2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 pm

Hahaha that's what I feel like with A&M about 95% of the time. I don't think Greg was that bad but I'm sure if he was at A&M I'd be complaining too.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:

There's always been alot of grumbling about his play-calling. Most Horns fans see the '05 NC as Vince being Vince. We won the game on a broken play after all.

Greg Davis in one jpeg:

HAHA The best part of that is Monroe on the Sideline. Major totally called out Davis about monroe in his press conference.

emhellmer

Bronze

Post by emhellmer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:48 pm

OMG, look at all the action on the UT thread! Wow, maybe some reachers like myself are getting in...better check quick! Oh no, just pages and pages of posts about football. Better check the status checker, just in case. Still "Complete." Sigh. Oh hey, more action on the UT thread...better check quick! Oh no, more talk about football. What the...isn't this thread supposed to be about law scho...oh yeah. UT.

Never mind. Carry on. Hook 'em!

:lol:

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:08 am

emhellmer wrote:OMG, look at all the action on the UT thread! Wow, maybe some reachers like myself are getting in...better check quick! Oh no, just pages and pages of posts about football. Better check the status checker, just in case. Still "Complete." Sigh. Oh hey, more action on the UT thread...better check quick! Oh no, more talk about football. What the...isn't this thread supposed to be about law scho...oh yeah. UT.

+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:25 am

My favorite part about the new DC Manny Diaz was this quote from his first presser
We're going to attack out of a multiple array of fronts. If I had my druthers, I'd like to play a 5-4-5, which you're not allowed to do, but I want the offense to feel that way. That's all I want. I want them to look at us and feel like we got about 13-14 guys running around.

giddybiscuit

New

Post by giddybiscuit » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:42 am

leidice wrote:
emhellmer wrote:OMG, look at all the action on the UT thread! Wow, maybe some reachers like myself are getting in...better check quick! Oh no, just pages and pages of posts about football. Better check the status checker, just in case. Still "Complete." Sigh. Oh hey, more action on the UT thread...better check quick! Oh no, more talk about football. What the...isn't this thread supposed to be about law scho...oh yeah. UT.

+1
+1

and your avatar is making me crave some Sour Patch Kids like hell here at work. (nibbles granola bar)

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:32 am

Amen to the sour patch kids! They're the only thing I eat at movie theaters--no other candy will do!

JTMan

Bronze

Post by JTMan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:33 am

In at Texas via phonecall yesterday. Complete date = 12/07 167/3.88/OOS

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”