Texas 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mr_toad

Silver

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Post by mr_toad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Don't let pride f*** with you. You're likely going to get into some better schools than UGA, but there are worse things than having Atlanta connections, going to UGA (probably with a great scholly), and working there.

The notion that Michigan is extremely unlikely is ludicrous, at least based on numbers. They do apparently try to comb out the douches (which apparently explains my outright rejection), but they have admitted many, many people with lower numbers than yours. Still, an absolute lack of softs could hurt you at some of the better schools. Chin up, if UGA with lots of money is your worst case, you'll likely be doing better five years out than many who go sticker to a T-14/20 whatevs.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:19 pm

mr_toad wrote:Don't let pride f*** with you. You're likely going to get into some better schools than UGA, but there are worse things than having Atlanta connections, going to UGA (probably with a great scholly), and working there.

The notion that Michigan is extremely unlikely is ludicrous, at least based on numbers. They do apparently try to comb out the douches (which apparently explains my outright rejection), but they have admitted many, many people with lower numbers than yours. Still, an absolute lack of softs could hurt you at some of the better schools. Chin up, if UGA with lots of money is your worst case, you'll likely be doing better five years out than many who go sticker to a T-14/20 whatevs.
I don't have a problem with UGA or Atlanta. I was just hoping for a chance to get out of Georgia for a while. I've been here 23 years. I am definitely not meaning to complain about my situation, because although it is not the best, it is much better than the position that many are in right now. I appreciate the good words and encouragement that you all are offering.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:35 pm

mr_toad wrote:Don't let pride f*** with you. You're likely going to get into some better schools than UGA, but there are worse things than having Atlanta connections, going to UGA (probably with a great scholly), and working there.

I was wondering what you meant by that? Sorry if I'm inquiring about a sensitive issue.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Pricer wrote:

I don't have a problem with UGA or Atlanta. I was just hoping for a chance to get out of Georgia for a while. I've been here 23 years. I am definitely not meaning to complain about my situation, because although it is not the best, it is much better than the position that many are in right now. I appreciate the good words and encouragement that you all are offering.
I guess one other thing you might need to consider, if you're eager to leave Atlanta, is whether the idea of practicing in Atlanta appeals to you. I think a lot of Emory Law grads stay in the region, if not the Southeast in general, and I would imagine that it is similar for UGa Law grads.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:53 pm

jrose5 wrote:

I was wondering what you meant by that? Sorry if I'm inquiring about a sensitive issue.
In the Michigan thread, a current 1L said that the great thing about their admissions system is that Dean Z is really good at making sure not to admit douches. Since I have perfect numbers for UM and was outright rejected, not even waitlisted, I take that as them REALLY not liking me for some reason. And since Duke admitted me and is known thanks to Abovethelaw as the douchiest law school, well, double-wham for me :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:25 pm

mr_toad wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

In the Michigan thread, a current 1L said that the great thing about their admissions system is that Dean Z is really good at making sure not to admit douches. Since I have perfect numbers for UM and was outright rejected, not even waitlisted, I take that as them REALLY not liking me for some reason. And since Duke admitted me and is known thanks to Abovethelaw as the douchiest law school, well, double-wham for me :)
Alrighty. Thanks!
Whoa, just realized we are pretty much #s twin.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:52 pm

jrose5 wrote:
Pricer wrote:

I guess one other thing you might need to consider, if you're eager to leave Atlanta, is whether the idea of practicing in Atlanta appeals to you. I think a lot of Emory Law grads stay in the region, if not the Southeast in general, and I would imagine that it is similar for UGa Law grads.
I did not bother to apply to Emory. The cost difference between that and UGA is too great for the difference in value to be basically nonexistent. Emory may be a better option for out of staters, but for an in state guy like me, I could see no valid reason to go there.

I would be happy in Atlanta, and it has been my goal since high school to attend UGA Law and practice in Atlanta. As the economy fell apart, I began telling myself that I needed to get away, and UT, with its Texas legal market, seemed like a great way to do that. I can't say that I will be unhappy getting a JD from UGA with around $60-70k debt and working in Atlanta, I just dislike the fact that my other options are disappearing, leaving just one.

Regardless, congratulations to all who have been accepted and will be accepted. I hope you have a wonderful time in Austin. I am going to submit a letter of continued interest this weekend, ride the waitlist until the end of March, then withdraw if I have not heard anything by then.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Pretty ecstatic! Got the scholly letter in the mail today (got the acceptance package Monday). Jan 10th app submission. Funny, a week ago, I was worried about not having heard from Texas...

JKill01

New

Post by JKill01 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Denied via status checker. Good luck everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 pm

168/3.8 7k/year OOS. I'm kind of sad...I saw people around my numbers getting 7k/year and in state tuition...oh well...I guess no texas for me.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:06 pm

FiveSermon wrote:168/3.8 7k/year OOS. I'm kind of sad...I saw people around my numbers getting 7k/year and in state tuition...oh well...I guess no texas for me.
This is genuinely a surprise to me... some kind of mistake?? Sorry, FiveSermon... I think you will get some other nice acceptances, though.

longhornlaw

Bronze

Post by longhornlaw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:08 pm

WL'd today. Went complete 11/12. Quite frankly, this is a shock. 159/3.84. Went to UT for undergrad. We'll see what happens.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 pm

BTW, will someone explain to me what OOS stands for? I can't find it in the TLS abbreviations/jargon post... thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 pm

jrose5 wrote:BTW, will someone explain to me what OOS stands for? I can't find it in the TLS abbreviations/jargon post... thanks!
Out of state

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:10 pm

only 9.5k/year?!

In state, 3.9X, 170, accepted to Michigan and Penn. Guess no Texas for me. :o

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:12 pm

jrose5 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:168/3.8 7k/year OOS. I'm kind of sad...I saw people around my numbers getting 7k/year and in state tuition...oh well...I guess no texas for me.
This is genuinely a surprise to me... some kind of mistake?? Sorry, FiveSermon... I think you will get some other nice acceptances, though.
Thanks. I do have a 105k offer to GW and a 75k offer to Fordham but I would have rather gone to Texas if they had given the in state tuition+7k/year.

The only school that I'm not waiting to hear back from is Cornell...even if I get in it's sticker so not sure what I would do...::sigh::

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:13 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
jrose5 wrote:
Thanks. I do have a 105k offer to GW and a 75k offer to Fordham but I would have rather gone to Texas if they had given the in state tuition+7k/year.

The only school that I'm not waiting to hear back from is Cornell...even if I get in it's sticker so not sure what I would do...::sigh::
I haven't done any research on this, but I've heard of people negotiating scholarships. They tend to do this by bringing up other merit money they received elsewhere. Maybe look into that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:14 pm

jrose5 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

I haven't done any research on this, but I've heard of people negotiating scholarships. They tend to do this by bringing up other merit money they received elsewhere. Maybe look into that?
I believe they only do that for peer schools. I don't think Texas considers GW/Fordham peer. I bet they won't go lower than t17 for negotiating scholarships.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:18 pm

Pricer wrote:I just got a 5:00 AM email offering me a spot on the waitlist. I'm in shock. All I want to do is respond to the email saying "Fuck you, Texas."

I'm 169, 3.69 LSDAS GPA, 3.7 UGPA, OOS. Check out LSN. The only higher WL than me is a 173, 3.6. I don't know what I could have done wrong. If there had been a major error on my application, I would have gotten straight rejected, right? I just don't understand. I have the median GPA and 75% LSAT. People with my numbers from OOS are getting IS tuition, some more money on top of that. I have three instances of prolonged work experience in law offices dating back to my senior year in high school. Why has my number one choice forsaken me? Why didn't I write a Why Texas essay? Oh, yeah, because I was median GPA and 75th LSAT, I didn't deem it necessary. I guess they didn't deem it necessary to admit me without one, either. Would it had even helped?

http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats ... Cycle=1011

At least one thing is for sure: Texas is not just about the numbers. I learned that the hard way.

Should I even bother staying on the WL? I don't want to wait until July to find out if I'm in or not. I also cannot attend without the scholarship I fully expected to receive, and I know no money will come if they happen to admit me later. This has completely ruined my cycle and drained any motivation I had about going to law school.
Don't under-estimate the in-state advantage. My numbers were not that much better than yours, I submitted a sloppy January application w/ no "Why UT" just to make my parents happy, and I got accepted 6 days later. But I'm a resident, and they punished me with a miserly scholarship. I'm withdrawing now that I got into Gtown, Michigan, Vandy, and Penn. Should free up one spot.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:21 pm

niederbomb wrote:
Pricer wrote:I just got a 5:00 AM email offering me a spot on the waitlist. I'm in shock. All I want to do is respond to the email saying "Fuck you, Texas."

I'm 169, 3.69 LSDAS GPA, 3.7 UGPA, OOS. Check out LSN. The only higher WL than me is a 173, 3.6. I don't know what I could have done wrong. If there had been a major error on my application, I would have gotten straight rejected, right? I just don't understand. I have the median GPA and 75% LSAT. People with my numbers from OOS are getting IS tuition, some more money on top of that. I have three instances of prolonged work experience in law offices dating back to my senior year in high school. Why has my number one choice forsaken me? Why didn't I write a Why Texas essay? Oh, yeah, because I was median GPA and 75th LSAT, I didn't deem it necessary. I guess they didn't deem it necessary to admit me without one, either. Would it had even helped?

At least one thing is for sure: Texas is not just about the numbers. I learned that the hard way.

Should I even bother staying on the WL? I don't want to wait until July to find out if I'm in or not. I also cannot attend without the scholarship I fully expected to receive, and I know no money will come if they happen to admit me later. This has completely ruined my cycle and drained any motivation I had about going to law school.
Don't under-estimate the in-state advantage. My numbers were not that much better than yours, I submitted a sloppy January application w/ no "Why UT" just to make my parents happy, and I got accepted 6 days later. But I'm a resident, and they punished me with a miserly scholarship. I'm withdrawing now that I got into Gtown, Michigan, Vandy, and Penn. Should free up one spot.
I think the student body was something like 65% in state. A little daunting for me, as I'm OOS.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:26 pm

jrose5 wrote:
niederbomb wrote:

I think the student body was something like 65% in state. A little daunting for me, as I'm OOS.
You figure is accurate, but you should not let that discourage you from attending UT (if that's where you want to go, of course). Austin is a very diverse city, and a majority of my friends a the LS went to college OOS. Most of us are Texas "residents," but very few of us are home-state homers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TortoiseshellCat

New

Post by TortoiseshellCat » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:32 pm

What do you guys mean by "douches" and "softs"?

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:01 pm

Received a travel scholarship to visit UT for ASD! Really excited about this... I kind of needed it.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:34 pm

TortoiseshellCat wrote:

What do you guys mean by "douches" and "softs"?
I'll let you figure it out in context: http://abovethelaw.com/2009/08/the-douc ... aw-school/

Softs = intangible, non-GPA/LSAT factors that may help you stand out in comparison to similar candidates. There are dozens if not hundreds of threads dedicated to people mocking other people's softs. Do a search and find them. Example softs (not in order of importance): leadership in a club, fluency in another language, Rhode's Scholarship, published author, etc.

TortoiseshellCat

New

Post by TortoiseshellCat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 am

I finally got a status checker this morning.

"Your JD application was processed on February 21, 2011
and is currently being considered for Regular Decision"

I wonder how long until they make the decision...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”