Texas 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
theLSATnemesis

New

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Post by theLSATnemesis » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:37 pm

justadude55 wrote:
theLSATnemesis wrote:I am going to use my GI Bill to pay for law school (it will cover full public tuition), if I get any money, like 7k a year, do I get to keep it? Do they give it to me or just subtract it off of the tuition?

Another thing, I only have about 4 semesters worth of GI Bill left. Will they let me use the money I didn't use in the first two years towards the third year?

--I have not applied to law school yet, this is for future reference. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks.
they don't just give you cash. they throw it off your tuition. that's why they're so lax with giving money out to people they accept.

isn't the GI Bill a specific amount of money? can't you just subtract 7k a yr from what you use, and have 21k extra so you only have to pay for 1 semester of LS?
That is what I assumed they did, I wonder if they would defer the first two years towards the last.

The old GI Bill only paid a certain amount, the new GI Bill (starting august 2001) will pay full tuition to public schools. If it is a private school they will pay up to the highest public tuition in the state, plus up to 17,000 additional.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:39 pm

theLSATnemesis wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
theLSATnemesis wrote:I am going to use my GI Bill to pay for law school (it will cover full public tuition), if I get any money, like 7k a year, do I get to keep it? Do they give it to me or just subtract it off of the tuition?

Another thing, I only have about 4 semesters worth of GI Bill left. Will they let me use the money I didn't use in the first two years towards the third year?

--I have not applied to law school yet, this is for future reference. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks.
they don't just give you cash. they throw it off your tuition. that's why they're so lax with giving money out to people they accept.

isn't the GI Bill a specific amount of money? can't you just subtract 7k a yr from what you use, and have 21k extra so you only have to pay for 1 semester of LS?
That is what I assumed they did, I wonder if they would defer the first two years towards the last.

The old GI Bill only paid a certain amount, the new GI Bill (starting august 2001) will pay full tuition to public schools. If it is a private school they will pay up to the highest public tuition in the state, plus up to 17,000 additional.
i don't think deferment would be a big deal for them. ask them. i'm sure they'll work with u.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:24 pm

theLSATnemesis wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

This is untrue. The news rules for the gi bill go into affect next school year. You will get full tuition and fees at any public school whereas you can only get 17500 at private schools. The rest can be made up with the yellow ribbon but that is only if the schools choose to participate. The thing about the yellow ribbon it is a first come first served so if you want it apply early (for instance I already sent mine to Berkeley for next year, even though I'm not sure I'm going there just to
Be sure I'm in the Que because they only gave out 10 this year. Also the money does go to the school.

theLSATnemesis

New

Post by theLSATnemesis » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:39 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
theLSATnemesis wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

This is untrue. The news rules for the gi bill go into affect next school year. You will get full tuition and fees at any public school whereas you can only get 17500 at private schools. The rest can be made up with the yellow ribbon but that is only if the schools choose to participate. The thing about the yellow ribbon it is a first come first served so if you want it apply early (for instance I already sent mine to Berkeley for next year, even though I'm not sure I'm going there just to
Be sure I'm in the Que because they only gave out 10 this year. Also the money does go to the school.
You're right, I just re-read the e-mail. I thought it paid the difference of the highest public tuition and private tuition, up to $17,500, but it's just up to $17,500 annually. Sorry for spouting off incorrect information.

Also, I meant August 2011, not 2001. I should have done a better job proof-reading this shit.

Thank you for clarifying the information.

planQ

Bronze

Post by planQ » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Dinged Via Status Check Feb 3.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JTMan

Bronze

Post by JTMan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:37 pm

Two questions:

1. For Merit Aid...how many days after you received your acceptance packet was the Merit Scholarship postmarked? Just so I know whether I should keep waiting or not.

2. Negotiating for Merit Aid....on the website it says to go ahead and inform them of alternative offers you received from other schools....has anyone tried this yet/been successful? What schools did you get offers from that were comparable? I have an offer for $105,000 from GW I know its not ranked as high as UT but given the amount I'm hoping it will help me out.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:48 pm

planQ wrote:Dinged Via Status Check Feb 3.
Ditto, just checked my status today. Ah well, not too surprising OOS and crappy GPA. Stats are in profile (on LSN).

Good luck to those waiting!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:21 pm

JTMan wrote:Two questions:

1. For Merit Aid...how many days after you received your acceptance packet was the Merit Scholarship postmarked? Just so I know whether I should keep waiting or not.

2. Negotiating for Merit Aid....on the website it says to go ahead and inform them of alternative offers you received from other schools....has anyone tried this yet/been successful? What schools did you get offers from that were comparable? I have an offer for $105,000 from GW I know its not ranked as high as UT but given the amount I'm hoping it will help me out.

hmm maybe I'm different than most or something but I never received a separate mailing about merit aid. I have received one package from UT. It says welcome on the front of it inside it's the standard welcome stuff a and after the letter from dean Ingram I had another letter telling me I got $84,000 in financial aid. I hope this helps.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:24 pm

JTMan wrote:Two questions:

I received my merit aid envelope about 8 days after my acceptance packet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SRQmarie

New

Post by SRQmarie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:29 pm

krad wrote:
Ditto, just checked my status today. Ah well, not too surprising OOS and crappy GPA. Stats are in profile (on LSN).

Sorry about that for both of you - pretty lousy way to find out, but at this point, I'd just like some sort of a decision. Any decision, so I can get on with my life...

abb586

New

Post by abb586 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:20 pm

krad wrote:

When did y'all go complete? I've been in review since November and have heard nothing :(

cngreen

New

Post by cngreen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Maybe I'm reaaaaally out of it but . . . UT-Austin has an online status check? Why have I not found this yet?

francisConn

Bronze

Post by francisConn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:01 pm

cngreen wrote:Maybe I'm reaaaaally out of it but . . . UT-Austin has an online status check? Why have I not found this yet?
Search your email for an email with a subject of "UT LAW-UT EID." That one should have the status check info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cngreen

New

Post by cngreen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:02 pm

How long after you applied did you get that email? [I got an application received email, but nothing else]

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:04 pm

took me like 2 weeks to get status checker e-mail

trutherd

New

Post by trutherd » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm

JTMan wrote:1. For Merit Aid...how many days after you received your acceptance packet was the Merit Scholarship postmarked? Just so I know whether I should keep waiting or not.
Mine was almost 60 days... Keep waiting

trutherd

New

Post by trutherd » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:14 pm

cngreen wrote:How long after you applied did you get that email? [I got an application received email, but nothing else]
15 days (11/1 --> 11/16). Subject line of status check email is "UT LAW-UT EID"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:21 pm

trutherd wrote:
cngreen wrote:How long after you applied did you get that email? [I got an application received email, but nothing else]
Mine just says application complete. (Since 11/22...) I didn't even realize that it would update me beyond that point. Sweet I guess though... I kinda wonder what has taken them so long to ding me.

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:37 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:
trutherd wrote:
Mine just says application complete. (Since 11/22...) I didn't even realize that it would update me beyond that point. Sweet I guess though... I kinda wonder what has taken them so long to ding me.
Annnnnnd rejected by snail mail today. There you go. Good luck to those still waiting!

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Anyone going to the April 1st Visit Texas day?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:51 pm

pereira6 wrote:Anyone going to the April 1st Visit Texas day?
Thinking about it. I want to ask for more scholarship then decide.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:56 pm

r6_philly wrote: Thinking about it. I want to ask for more scholarship then decide.
Haha philly I knew that one already! Be sure to get at me when you decide something :)

Anybody else looking to go then?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm going to the March 24-25 one, I think.

I didn't know there were others. Are they more brief or something?

JTMan

Bronze

Post by JTMan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:15 pm

akili wrote:I'm going to the March 24-25 one, I think.

I'm also probably going to attend the March 24 - 25 one

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:23 pm

akili wrote:I'm going to the March 24-25 one, I think.

Yeah they call them "organized mini visits"...I plan on visiting UPenn the 25th-26th so I can't make UTs full day (although I'd like to!). I figure a full day's worth of events is enough to learn about the place :)

They have "mini-visits" on the 1st and 8th of April.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”