Texas 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Perch

Silver

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Post by Perch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:52 am

Any idea when Texas starts going to the WL (for OOS if there is a difference)?

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Just saw my first out of town hipster. I need to get out of this city ASAP.

SXSW may be great for tourists, but its one of the worst weeks of the year for locals.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:Just saw my first out of town hipster. I need to get out of this city ASAP.

SXSW may be great for tourists, but its one of the worst weeks of the year for locals.

Are the out of town hipsters any worse than the droves of local hipsters? Unlikely.

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:54 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote:Just saw my first out of town hipster. I need to get out of this city ASAP.

Are the out of town hipsters any worse than the droves of local hipsters? Unlikely.
Not really, but the sheer quantity is overwhelming.

Toss that in with all the douchebag techies/bloggers who think they're a mini-Steve Jobs and you're set. My favorite picture from last year, was outside of a bar I go to once in awhile:

SRQmarie

New

Post by SRQmarie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:15 am

Received waitlist email at 5:15 am this morning. 163, 3.92, OOS. Was expecting a rejection, so a WL wasn't too surprising.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Perch wrote:Any idea when Texas starts going to the WL (for OOS if there is a difference)?
I spoke to the office today. April 15th.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Pricer wrote:
Perch wrote:Any idea when Texas starts going to the WL (for OOS if there is a difference)?
have yall submitted an LOCI to UT yet? Im working on mine. Snail mail or e-mail? Any suggestions?

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:50 pm

crit_racer wrote:
Pricer wrote:
have yall submitted an LOCI to UT yet? Im working on mine. Snail mail or e-mail? Any suggestions?
I wrote a Why UT and emailed it. I was going to wait a couple of weeks before sending an LOCI in the mail.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Pricer wrote:
crit_racer wrote:
Pricer wrote:
I wrote a Why UT and emailed it. I was going to wait a couple of weeks before sending an LOCI in the mail.
okay, I'll probably go ahead and email something too. Then maybe ill send another formal letter once April 15 rolls around.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:01 pm

wait, do i see on LSN that you just got accepted off the WL??

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Good on ya, Pricer, I know you were bummed about Texas. Well done.

giddybiscuit

New

Post by giddybiscuit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:21 pm

In via phone call just now!!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:48 pm

giddybiscuit wrote:In via phone call just now!!
woohoo!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:54 pm

In today..they left a message on my voice mail. Is that how they accept people?
Do they send scholly information along with acceptance in the mail?
I have not been paying attention to this thread

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 pm

mr_toad wrote:Good on ya, Pricer, I know you were bummed about Texas. Well done.
Yes, thank you! I am very excited about this, and I am about 90% set on Texas. I am waiting to see what merit aid I receive and to visit the school before I commit. I have basically narrowed it down to UT and UGA. Normally this would be an easy decision, but I have some (not many) connections in Atlanta. Also, UGA's in state tuition is $16k a year, and they offered me $10k a year in merit aid.

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:58 pm

masterthearts wrote:In today..they left a message on my voice mail. Is that how they accept people?
Acceptance via phone is the norm. Scholarship comes in a different packet, a week or two after the admit packet. FWIW, though, scholarship floor is at 168 for non-URMs and you indicate a lower LSAT in your profile.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:10 am

japes wrote:
masterthearts wrote:In today..they left a message on my voice mail. Is that how they accept people?
Acceptance via phone is the norm. Scholarship comes in a different packet, a week or two after the admit packet. FWIW, though, scholarship floor is at 168 for non-URMs and you indicate a lower LSAT in your profile.
I am white, hispanic. I think some schools gave me a boost..hard to say since I think my PS and extracurrics highlight the diversity I would bring.
We'll see what happens with scholarship. But, I don't think I want to remain in the southwest, since I'm from the northeast. Scholly would need to be big.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:37 am

Pricer wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Good on ya, Pricer, I know you were bummed about Texas. Well done.
Yes, thank you! I am very excited about this, and I am about 90% set on Texas. I am waiting to see what merit aid I receive and to visit the school before I commit. I have basically narrowed it down to UT and UGA. Normally this would be an easy decision, but I have some (not many) connections in Atlanta. Also, UGA's in state tuition is $16k a year, and they offered me $10k a year in merit aid.
Frick yeah Pricer! I was so rooting for you!!

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:08 pm

So, I have a two part question. First, would UT consider increasing a scholarship due to a much larger scholarship at WUSTL, or are they not considered a peer school? Second, if I am reading the website correctly it would indicate that they can rescind an offer if you ask them to re-evaluate it, seriously?

"The committee will consider the out-of-pocket tuition and fees expense a student will incur after taking the respective scholarship offer(s) into consideration, and the overall competitiveness of the admitted student. The scholarship committee reserves the right to decline to offer or increase a previous scholarship offered by the Law School."

quoted from: http://www.utexas.edu/law/finaid/schola ... match.html

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:18 pm

clearfire wrote:So, I have a two part question. First, would UT consider increasing a scholarship due to a much larger scholarship at WUSTL, or are they not considered a peer school? Second, if I am reading the website correctly it would indicate that they can rescind an offer if you ask them to re-evaluate it, seriously?

"The committee will consider the out-of-pocket tuition and fees expense a student will incur after taking the respective scholarship offer(s) into consideration, and the overall competitiveness of the admitted student. The scholarship committee reserves the right to decline to offer or increase a previous scholarship offered by the Law School."

quoted from: http://www.utexas.edu/law/finaid/schola ... match.html
I can't see why they'd take away a scholarship offer, but I guess it looks like it could happen?

I don't think UT regards WUSTL as a peer school, but it couldn't hurt to submit the offer - and any other offers you may get.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:22 pm

I read it different: decline to offer (a scholarship, supposing none had been originally offered)...but I suppose anything is possible

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:34 pm

You guys are probably right, I think it matters where you pause when reading the sentence. I'll email them anyways. Thanks.

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:57 pm

It's sort of a bilateral contract right? Which you have accepted or paid any consideration.

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:36 pm

Just got in via phone call. I was in class but read the google voice transcript. I'm sure I would see it if I read past pages but he said they're sending scholarship info in 1-2 weeks, does that mean I got a scholarship?
Also, I'm 170/3.6 OOS for those interested. My status never updated after it went complete in December.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:53 pm

We all just got into a T14! Yay stupid rankings!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”