U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flgator10

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby flgator10 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Iceman389 wrote:I would keep checking MyUM and using the link that was provided a couple pages ago. I never got an e-mail to check my status again from Miami. As soon as i realized that my hold letter was gone, I used the link and an acceptance letter appeared but nothing changed when I only logged into my MyUM, just the link to view admission documents needed. About a week after the first group of hold letters disappeared, people started either getting waitlists or acceptances. HTH

Thank you for the helpful information. If not for this thread, I would have had no idea what was going on. I really hope I get a decision soon. This waiting is killing me.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:47 pm

southernsnapp wrote:Ummm, doesn't everybody applying to law school know about rolling admissions? If you want the money, then you should try to earlier. I don't see what the hostility is about, we know the deal from the start.

I agree, but applied Dec 1 and thought I would get some money for my LSAT.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:16 pm

In after being held. Sent a LOCI and Diversity Statement. I would advise people still considering this school to do the same if they are either in "held" or "waitlist" group. I wonder if schools get the Feb LSAT score before we do because I took the Feb LSAT and I am a bit suspicious that I got in because of a better score.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:51 pm

risktaker wrote:In after being held. Sent a LOCI and Diversity Statement. I would advise people still considering this school to do the same if they are either in "held" or "waitlist" group. I wonder if schools get the Feb LSAT score before we do because I took the Feb LSAT and I am a bit suspicious that I got in because of a better score.

I'm a cynic these days. I didn't send a thing and got in off the held list. For me, it has strictly been a numbers game thus far this cycle. I got in places where I was at or above medians, and rejected/waitlisted/yet to hear back from schools where I was borderline. URM status seems to have helped a little here and there, since my GPA has been overlooked a few times (its really bad), but overall no amount of interest shown has saved me from rejection at some schools.

Now, with that being said, I agree with Ristaker's decision to send in supplemental stuff. It can only help.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Just got an e-mail that my status was updated. Accepted!!!!!! :) It's so nice to have a legitimate option in Florida. UF and FSU are uncertainties for me.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:21 pm

congrats i too have been accepted but followup package in mail has no scholly info. rather doubt its coming. big problem since too much $$$ not worth the ticket price!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:23 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Just got an e-mail that my status was updated. Accepted!!!!!! :) It's so nice to have a legitimate option in Florida. UF and FSU are uncertainties for me.

Congrats!

Also, would anyone be willing to speak about opportunities coming out of Miami? I'm from NY, and currently leaning toward Rutgers as its an affordable option with a solid reputation here. Since I likely won't be able to visit Miami before the deposit deadline approaches, I would love to hear some thoughts on the school.

I am not opposed to practicing in S. Florida.

JcM_LAW

Postby JcM_LAW » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:25 pm

withdrew my acceptance today... good luck all

bookofcarpetsamples

Postby bookofcarpetsamples » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Justathought wrote:Congrats!

Also, would anyone be willing to speak about opportunities coming out of Miami? I'm from NY, and currently leaning toward Rutgers as its an affordable option with a solid reputation here. Since I likely won't be able to visit Miami before the deposit deadline approaches, I would love to hear some thoughts on the school.

i work as a paralegal in south florida and this is what the lone miami grad in our office told me when she heard i was accepted: "don't get me wrong, miami is a fine school, but absolutely do not attend if you're paying full price." and she's making big law salary, too.

now this is just one example, but a relevant one, i think. otherwise, miami does very well in the south florida market, but you could get all the same jobs with a degree from uf and spend way less than half in tuition (plus col is higher in miami). i'm really having a hard time with the debt issue with miami. sure it's a great school, especially if you want to practice in sofla, but still...i can't imagine having a normal paying job that i love and trying to manage $1,500+ loan payments every month. it's basically big law or bust...but what if i don't want big law?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:41 pm

bookofcarpetsamples wrote:
Justathought wrote:Congrats!

i work as a paralegal in south florida and this is what the lone miami grad in our office told me when she heard i was accepted: "don't get me wrong, miami is a fine school, but absolutely do not attend if you're paying full price." and she's making big law salary, too.

now this is just one example, but a relevant one, i think. otherwise, miami does very well in the south florida market, but you could get all the same jobs with a degree from uf and spend way less than half in tuition (plus col is higher in miami). i'm really having a hard time with the debt issue with miami. sure it's a great school, especially if you want to practice in sofla, but still...i can't imagine having a normal paying job that i love and trying to manage $1,500+ loan payments every month. it's basically big law or bust...but what if i don't want big law?

Thanks very much. The advice you received seems to be echoed by many here.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:17 pm

yes be careful with the debt in a glutted market. i want to stay in florida but will pass on um and all other fl schools with full rides ill probably attend stetson with scholly in an effort to tap into the central fl market especially st pete and tampa, im on hold at uf and fsu, but waiting it out. if not fsu/ uf ill be at stetson in the fall. note if not interested in big law etc, try finding a niche regional market at the best school in that area and the the most cost effective one as well. ps a local miami recruiter at a big firm told me that stetson on scholly is way better than miami at ticket. although miami is higher ranked, the difference is not significant enough to go out on a limb by paying ticket at miami. hope this helps.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 pm

drummerboy wrote:yes be careful with the debt in a glutted market. i want to stay in florida but will pass on um and all other fl schools with full rides ill probably attend stetson with scholly in an effort to tap into the central fl market especially st pete and tampa, im on hold at uf and fsu, but waiting it out. if not fsu/ uf ill be at stetson in the fall. note if not interested in big law etc, try finding a niche regional market at the best school in that area and the the most cost effective one as well. ps a local miami recruiter at a big firm told me that stetson on scholly is way better than miami at ticket. although miami is higher ranked, the difference is not significant enough to go out on a limb by paying ticket at miami. hope this helps.

Good thoughts, especially the last point. Been saying that a lot.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:29 pm

thanks. my thoughts have improved significantly over the past months. initially i was a bucking bronco without direction and any meaningful advice to offer anyone let alone myself. one thing that is critical, as my cycle comes to a close, it is essential to never forget your objectives throughout this process. if youre not interested in biglaw or any semblance thereof, focus on schools, regions, and monetary issues that are consistent with your goals. most of all, be honest with yourself about where you would like to potentially spend the rest of your life. applying to random schools in different regions is good only if you would honestly live there. i made the mistake of doing just that. now im out about 1000 dollars.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 pm

One more question: Is it really official that all scholarship money has been exhausted? My stats are 2.4/164/URM. Now, so far scholarship offers from my acceptances have been random, but I've gotten something from everyone but Brooklyn. Given my GPA, I don't expect anything, but the 164/URM combo has resulted in a few good offers. If the COA was a little more reasonable I would be intrigued. I actually won't be taking out loans for law school (I'm a 30 year old guy who has some savings), but I'm not in the habit of throwing money away.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Got my packet in the mail, no scholly info. If they are indeed out of money, I will be withdrawing shortly.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:59 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Got my packet in the mail, no scholly info. If they are indeed out of money, I will be withdrawing shortly.

Ouch, that's brutal considering your numbers. Oh well, not holding my breath.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:02 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Got my packet in the mail, no scholly info. If they are indeed out of money, I will be withdrawing shortly.

I got my scholly separate from the packet in the mail.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:05 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

I'll hold out hope for a while. Gonna take a TON of $$$ to sway me from UF/FSU though. My lady living down here is the best thing they got going for them lol

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:17 pm

ill be waiting a little longer but not indefinitely . i would love to move on already

swflgirl

Postby swflgirl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:48 pm

In the financial aid chat the advisors did state emphatically and repeatedly that there was no more scholarship money. they only offer merit based scholarships to 1L's, there are no need based scholarships available until 2L. this information was also told to me over the phone by Wendi in the financial aid office. Unless you applied for the Miami Scholars money which you would have had to do separately and the deadline was today, then you will not get a scholarship. they repeatedly stated that they offered more money than was available so even with people withdrawing this does not free up more money. Anyone who does their research on applying to law school should understand the process of rolling admissions.

leidice

Postby leidice » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:03 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

I'll hold out hope for a while. Gonna take a TON of $$$ to sway me from UF/FSU though. My lady living down here is the best thing they got going for them lol

Aww! Still having trouble deciding what to do about that situation? I know it's gonna be tough.. but hey, I'm most likely moving away from my bf too!

And I am probably withdrawing shortly as well. I've been accepted for a few weeks, and I haven't received any word of scholarship money. It would definitely take at least a full ride to get me to consider UM over FSU with $36k haha.

beachviolet11

Postby beachviolet11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 pm

anyone able to access their merit award online yet? they said march

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:41 am

This acceptance has ruined me. Ruined me! Now I can't stop thinking about the warm South Florida weather. It's so cold in NY, so very, very cold...

:cry:

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:48 am

Justathought wrote:This acceptance has ruined me. Ruined me! Now I can't stop thinking about the warm South Florida weather. It's so cold in NY, so very, very cold...

I'm having a hard time too... Mainly because I've always wanted to say "I'm taking my talents to South Beach".

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:50 am

rman1201 wrote:
Justathought wrote:This acceptance has ruined me. Ruined me! Now I can't stop thinking about the warm South Florida weather. It's so cold in NY, so very, very cold...

I'm having a hard time too... Mainly because I've always wanted to say "I'm taking my talents to South Beach".

Me too! I literally want to say it until one of my friends punches me in the face.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”