U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TT09

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby TT09 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:02 pm

RAB wrote:Has anyone that was placed on hold send in an additional lor? When I try to on lsac it says that the school will only accept one if there is a new score or update in your file.

No, but I did send in an LOCI. Also, checked my UM status checker this morning randomly, as I've been on hold since around mid-December, and my decision letter is gone. Wonder if that means they are starting to re-review people who were held...

Kyllo

Postby Kyllo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:07 pm

TT09 wrote:
RAB wrote:Has anyone that was placed on hold send in an additional lor? When I try to on lsac it says that the school will only accept one if there is a new score or update in your file.

No, but I did send in an LOCI. Also, checked my UM status checker this morning randomly, as I've been on hold since around mid-December, and my decision letter is gone. Wonder if that means they are starting to re-review people who were held...

Checked around 2p and the on-hold letter was gone on this end too. In its place was a link that said "View Admissions Documents Needed." Then when I clicked on that, it says track documents received at the LSAC website. Went there and don't see any movement on the report status since 1/10/2011!

So confused. :?

TT09

Postby TT09 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:08 pm

Kyllo wrote:
TT09 wrote:

Checked around 2p and the on-hold letter was gone on this end too. In its place was a link that said "View Admissions Documents Needed." Then when I clicked on that, it says track documents received at the LSAC website. Went there and don't see any movement on the report status since 1/10/2011!

I believe that was there b/f I got placed on hold. So, I wouldn't look too much into that; I don't think it means anything.

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:12 pm

My hold decision letter is gone as well. Not sure how much to look into it

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Looks like Miami is up to their old tricks.

The disappearing status happened last year to many of us. There were a few who made it in from the "on-hold" category. Most of us got waitlisted after being "on hold" for 5 months. Good luck!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm

actorlaw wrote:Looks like Miami is up to their old tricks.

The disappearing status happened last year to many of us. There were a few who made it in from the "on-hold" category. Most of us got waitlisted after being "on hold" for 5 months. Good luck!

Thanks. Apparently I'm worthy of UF and $$ from FSU but will have to pay sticker should I even be accepted to UM. Really starting to think I put the wrong school name on my application or something.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:30 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
actorlaw wrote:Looks like Miami is up to their old tricks.

Thanks. Apparently I'm worthy of UF and $$ from FSU but will have to pay sticker should I even be accepted to UM. Really starting to think I put the wrong school name on my application or something.

I didn't get a scholly either but was worthy of UF as well. Sorry UM, I love your tax program but seriously...

beachviolet11

Postby beachviolet11 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm sure they will start giving out more money in march...they have already had a bunch of people withdraw with big scholarships. They probably have a date they wait for then they reassess how much they have. Its not like they won't give out money they've got....next week is march so I'm hopeful we see some $ movement soon.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Has anyone been offered anything below a 20-24K a year scholarship? From what I've been able to put together from posts in this thread, people with a 160+ LSAT were offered something in the 20Ks. Logic tells me that if a person turns down a 20K scholarship, that should open up two 10K scholarships,or something of the sort, to offer to people with slightly lower scores... right? Then again, my logic apparently isn't all that great since I didn't break 160 :(

Regardless, still praying for some sort of scholarship offer. Really want to stay in Miami, but I really can't break the bank any more than I already have.

I got an invite to chat live with the Financial Aid office tomorrow.. so I'll try to ask them some questions about all of this.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:Has anyone been offered anything below a 20-24K a year scholarship? From what I've been able to put together from posts in this thread, people with a 160+ LSAT were offered something in the 20Ks. Logic tells me that if a person turns down a 20K scholarship, that should open up two 10K scholarships,or something of the sort, to offer to people with slightly lower scores... right? Then again, my logic apparently isn't all that great since I didn't break 160 :(

Regardless, still praying for some sort of scholarship offer. Really want to stay in Miami, but I really can't break the bank any more than I already have.

I got an invite to chat live with the Financial Aid office tomorrow.. so I'll try to ask them some questions about all of this.

please, please do and report back. In specific, could you ask them about the scholarship situation? they will probably give the default "we are out of scholarship money right now". Ask them if they give out more money as it frees up from people withdrawing.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:55 pm

gothamm wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:Has anyone been offered anything below a 20-24K a year scholarship? From what I've been able to put together from posts in this thread, people with a 160+ LSAT were offered something in the 20Ks. Logic tells me that if a person turns down a 20K scholarship, that should open up two 10K scholarships,or something of the sort, to offer to people with slightly lower scores... right? Then again, my logic apparently isn't all that great since I didn't break 160 :(

please, please do and report back. In specific, could you ask them about the scholarship situation? they will probably give the default "we are out of scholarship money right now". Ask them if they give out more money as it frees up from people withdrawing.

Sure thing. And if they don't give me a clear answer, I might just walk over to the Law School and talk to someone in person.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:31 am

I hope you get it.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 am

sabenser wrote:

I hope you get it.

snakebones

Postby snakebones » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 pm

Kyllo wrote:
TT09 wrote:

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I was on hold but then my letter disappeared and I got in. I think it will be official on friday but if you sign into myum and then click the link below, you might see your decision early. Hope that helps!

https://myum.miami.edu/Admissions/Accep ... Letter.asp

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:34 pm

snakebones wrote:
Kyllo wrote:
TT09 wrote:

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I was on hold but then my letter disappeared and I got in. I think it will be official on friday but if you sign into myum and then click the link below, you might see your decision early. Hope that helps!

https://myum.miami.edu/Admissions/Accep ... Letter.asp

Doing this brings me to the online acceptance letter. I'm obviously a tad skeptical however. Has anyone been able to verify this or anyone who is signed into myUM and click the link not able to see the acceptance letter?

bookofcarpetsamples

Postby bookofcarpetsamples » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:42 pm

i have the acceptance letter too...although i remember when people did this back in late november/early december, i did get the hold letter when i clicked on it while other people were seeing the acceptance letter. who knows if it will hold true this time, but it was accurate in the past. just wait for your 3:00 a.m. email...since that's the only time they seem to send them out.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 pm

I can't see it. Still have the same letter as before. :(

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:33 pm

I just called their admissions office to see if they would match scholarships from higher-ranked schools...they said $24,000/yr is the maximum amount they can offer.

Miami, you're fuckin' out!

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:40 pm

So I'm in the chat at the moment. They've reiterated a couple of times that no more scholarship money is available.

Someone specifically asked about scholarships being "re-awarded" after others withdraw. They seem to be tiptoeing around answering it.. They just keep repeating that all scholarships have been awarded.

EDIT: Here are a few somewhat helpful answers:

"As a continuing student you are eligible to apply for the continuing student scholarship process. Under this process youa re eligible to apply for Merit, Need based and Public Interest. We will emailing you all in the next month advising you to apply for schoalrships."

"The scholarship funds are awarded beyond what is available to account for those students that choose not to come. They are usually no funds to re-allocate." (finally answered the question)

"Students are automatically awarded any scholarships through the Admissions' process. Students who are interested in financial aid oa federal assistance need to complete a FAFSA. The FAFSA will dertermine the type of aid in federal assistance that may be available to you. Once the FAFSA has been processed and the school has received the FAFSA information we will then in turn, review your information and then send you an award notification via email. This notification will inform you if we need to request any further processing from you in review of your FAFSA. We will then send your award notification for you to either accept or decline the award that is offered to you. "

Leaving the chat now because I have to get to class.

southernsnapp

Postby southernsnapp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:07 pm

I received 20K/year w/ a 157, so all hope isn't lost. But I will be withdrawing when I figure out how, so hopefully one of ya'll will get the money I was offered! But I would think they offer more, because they know everyone won't accept. But good luck!

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:15 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:So I'm in the chat at the moment. They've reiterated a couple of times that no more scholarship money is available.

Someone specifically asked about scholarships being "re-awarded" after others withdraw. They seem to be tiptoeing around answering it.. They just keep repeating that all scholarships have been awarded.

EDIT: Here are a few somewhat helpful answers:

"As a continuing student you are eligible to apply for the continuing student scholarship process. Under this process youa re eligible to apply for Merit, Need based and Public Interest. We will emailing you all in the next month advising you to apply for schoalrships."

"The scholarship funds are awarded beyond what is available to account for those students that choose not to come. They are usually no funds to re-allocate." (finally answered the question)

"Students are automatically awarded any scholarships through the Admissions' process. Students who are interested in financial aid oa federal assistance need to complete a FAFSA. The FAFSA will dertermine the type of aid in federal assistance that may be available to you. Once the FAFSA has been processed and the school has received the FAFSA information we will then in turn, review your information and then send you an award notification via email. This notification will inform you if we need to request any further processing from you in review of your FAFSA. We will then send your award notification for you to either accept or decline the award that is offered to you. "

Leaving the chat now because I have to get to class.

Thanks for posting this. This is pretty ridiculous tbh.

RAB

Postby RAB » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:18 pm

Who got invited to this chat?

beachviolet11

Postby beachviolet11 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

RAB wrote:Who got invited to this chat?

admitted students i think

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:38 pm

RAB wrote:Who got invited to this chat?

admitted students. Need a caneID to log in

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:51 pm

"All recipients have already been notified of any merit aid at this time" :roll:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”