U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Cmart050

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Cmart050 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 pm

energizer wrote:Thanks again for your insightful response. Im confused, however, about 2 points that you made actually three. First and foremost, you mentioned the top 10 ranking. What school were you referring to? Not UM. Second, you stated that one of the pros of UM was their tuition. I think that its a bit high. Thirdly, how did you get waitlisted at UM but admitted to FSU and expect to get into UF. LSN for UM are much less stringent for UM. Indeed, I dont even have a chance at UF but have a strong consider for UM. Thanks again for your time spent on this crucial matter.

I was replying to the poster above me, who posed a hypothetical with the top 10 school. Did I say a pro of UM was their tuition? I was drinking last night, but I'm not sure where you are getting that from. If it is $24,000/year with no stipulations, like I gave in my example, then yes, UM would be a decent financial option. As to your last point, I don't see what you are trying to say. I was accepted to a higher ranked school and WL at the lower one. How would that keep me from hoping to get into UF? I fail to see the point you are making. I'm going to assume on your last sentence you are referencing LSP. Well, the one school from 30-80 that was a definite admit for me was MIAMI, and everywhere else was consider. How did that work out?

energizer

Postby energizer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:23 pm

I guess I didnt understand why UM waitlisted you . It appears you should have been accepted.

Cmart050

Postby Cmart050 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Its no big deal, even if I was accepted I wouldn't have gone without the aforementioned scholarship, which was a longshot at best. My views are that if you can get the seemingly common $24,000/year and definitely want to practice in south Florida because of family/weather/whatever, then UM is an excellent choice and one I would have strongly considered.

energizer

Postby energizer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:30 pm

excellent. Moreover, with all the URM "stuff" thats being circulated, is there any truth, that can reasonably be substantiated, that Hispanics of all kinds get a 3 point lsat boost and that AA get 10?

FMaze

Postby FMaze » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:33 pm

I disregarded the part about a strong shot at making $160,000. Way too big a gamble for my tastes, although I am certainly risk-averse.

Thank you for your thoughts. At this point I need to wait and see what U Miami offers in terms of $$.

As far as the $160K salary. Understanding there are certain factors in play, such as economy and grades, from everything I had read, $160K was a fair ballpark figure. However, this morning I researched a little more, what I read is noted below. . . scary.

The timing is worse for the class of 2011, the second-years now looking to get into firms, because of a unique logjam created last year. After the September financial crisis, firms chose to defer their new hires at the price of steeply cutting recruiting this year.

But students who miss the brief window of opportunity to land an offer this fall may struggle to break into firms once next year’s class rises. When Julia Figurelli, a second-year student at the University of Pennsylvania, decided to enter law school a year ago, she expected to find a lucrative law firm job in three years — if not collecting the $160,000-a-year associate salaries at one of the uppermost partnerships. By the time she obtains her J.D., she says, she will have around $200,000 in debt.

“Had I seen where the market was going, I would’ve gone to a lower-ranked but less expensive school,” she said. Ms. Figurelli is now hunting for jobs in lower-paying markets, like Pittsburgh and Fort Lauderdale, Fla. “I’m looking anywhere my competition isn’t looking,” she added.

The Social Security Administration, for example, said applications for lawyer positions and clerkships had more than doubled this year, to 2,000, from 800.

Of course, in 2014, it could rebound and be wonderful, right??

RAB

Postby RAB » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:52 pm

How long after you submitted your app did you receive your cane id info? I sent in my app two weeks ago and have not received anything yet.

applicant135

Postby applicant135 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Does anyone know if Miami works their way down with scholarships? For example will they give out all of the 24 k a year followed by 15, 10 ect?

berkeleyman

Postby berkeleyman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:13 pm

Hey is anyone else planning on attending the ASW in March? And does Miami help with travel expenses?

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Anyone have an idea when the next wave of decisions will be released?

yepyep

Postby yepyep » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 pm

LegallyBrunette3 wrote:The letter with scholarship information comes in a separate letter from your acceptance package. I think mine came three weeks after my acceptance package. Good luck!

FUUUUUUCK... guess I'm not getting anything.

FMaze

Postby FMaze » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 pm

I just received my U Miami scholly letter. $24K. How does one go about asking for additional scholly money from U Miami? Asked another way, has anyone here asked for and received additional $$ from Miami?

I have an ED acceptance from a top ten school―since this was a reach I doubt if I will be offered much (if anything). Before I received the ED acceptance I received an acceptance from Indiana that came with a near a full ride ($6K a year short of full tuition)―Indiana’s tuition is highly skewed, $24K for in-state and $39.8K for out-of-state (but after the first year they consider you in-state).

I have read the boards where the advice [for schools in general] is to say I have a 3.9–165 and another school has offered me X. Asking if anyone here has gone that route with U Miami, and how did it turn out? Or, as a best guess, what do you think their reaction would be, in terms of added dollars? Thanks.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:13 pm

FMaze wrote:I just received my U Miami scholly letter. $24K. How does one go about asking for additional scholly money from U Miami? Asked another way, has anyone here asked for and received additional $$ from Miami?

I have an ED acceptance from a top ten school―since this was a reach I doubt if I will be offered much (if anything). Before I received the ED acceptance I received an acceptance from Indiana that came with a near a full ride ($6K a year short of full tuition)―Indiana’s tuition is highly skewed, $24K for in-state and $39.8K for out-of-state (but after the first year they consider you in-state).

I have read the boards where the advice [for schools in general] is to say I have a 3.9–165 and another school has offered me X. Asking if anyone here has gone that route with U Miami, and how did it turn out? Or, as a best guess, what do you think their reaction would be, in terms of added dollars? Thanks.

If you have EDed somewhere, from what I understand, you are bound to attend upon acceptance. (Congrats on going T14!) So you don't need to ask for any additional money from Miami. In fact, you should withdraw your other apps. There are additional threads with info about leveraging scholarship $.

FMaze

Postby FMaze » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
FMaze wrote:I just received my U Miami scholly letter. $24K. How does one go about asking for additional scholly money from U Miami? Asked another way, has anyone here asked for and received additional $$ from Miami?

If you have EDed somewhere, from what I understand, you are bound to attend upon acceptance. (Congrats on going T14!) So you don't need to ask for any additional money from Miami. In fact, you should withdraw your other apps. There are additional threads with info about leveraging scholarship $.

True, when I received my ED I was instructed to withdraw all my applications, which I did (including the one at U Miami). A couple weeks later I was surprised to receive a U Miami acceptance.

The ED is [potentially] a dilemma. Some say you have to wait a year (for me, not an option), others say it is doable, citing that schools are not going to force you to attend (that is yet to be determined).

I have read about leveraging scholarship money. I am anxious to hear if anyone here has tried to leverage $$ from U Miami. Or, perhaps someone has a good feel on how much additional scholly might be available. Thanks.

yepyep

Postby yepyep » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Just called admissions (accepted Dec. 1) to see about scholarships and they said they are backed up with stuff from the holidays... just because I haven't received scholarship info doesn't mean I'm not getting anything, more money will be dispersed starting in February. Not sure the person I spoke with knew what she was talking about, but I'll take it in good faith. There is hope for some cash. 165/2.7, hope my GPA doesn't shut me out.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:12 pm

yepyep wrote:Just called admissions (accepted Dec. 1) to see about scholarships and they said they are backed up with stuff from the holidays... just because I haven't received scholarship info doesn't mean I'm not getting anything, more money will be dispersed starting in February. Not sure the person I spoke with knew what she was talking about, but I'll take it in good faith. There is hope for some cash. 165/2.7, hope my GPA doesn't shut me out.

I got in a couple of days ago but I'm withdrawing soon. I wish more people would do this so that scholarship money and slots can be opened up esp. if you know you're not going to the school. Hope you get that scholly, if you can stand the humidity Miami is a great place to study at.

yepyep

Postby yepyep » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:22 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
yepyep wrote:Just called admissions (accepted Dec. 1) to see about scholarships and they said they are backed up with stuff from the holidays... just because I haven't received scholarship info doesn't mean I'm not getting anything, more money will be dispersed starting in February. Not sure the person I spoke with knew what she was talking about, but I'll take it in good faith. There is hope for some cash. 165/2.7, hope my GPA doesn't shut me out.

I got in a couple of days ago but I'm withdrawing soon. I wish more people would do this so that scholarship money and slots can be opened up esp. if you know you're not going to the school. Hope you get that scholly, if you can stand the humidity Miami is a great place to study at.

Thanks. Awesome avatar, top 5 hip hop album of all time, IMO. Mos and Talib need to get back together and make another true hip hop album.

boilerup89

Postby boilerup89 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:33 pm

Got the 24k/year scholarship in the mail yesterday

160, 3.78

From Florida originally and wouldn't mind going back so this is def a little enticing. Will have to visit and wait for other things to pan out.

yepyep

Postby yepyep » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:36 pm

boilerup89 wrote:Got the 24k/year scholarship in the mail yesterday

160, 3.78

From Florida originally and wouldn't mind going back so this is def a little enticing. Will have to visit and wait for other things to pan out.

Congrats, I NEED MONEY (Just got some dirty looks at Starbucks, I may have said that out loud, and loud.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:39 pm

boilerup89 wrote:Got the 24k/year scholarship in the mail yesterday

+1

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:19 pm

yepyep wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Thanks. Awesome avatar, top 5 hip hop album of all time, IMO. Mos and Talib need to get back together and make another true hip hop album.

Wow another hip hop head. I'm so surprised at the number of people who know the album and have commented on it. I didn't think the TLS crowd would have been into 12yr old classic hip-hop CD's

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Got my scholarship offer today, 24k/yr. 165, 3.29

uwgbluedevil

Postby uwgbluedevil » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:05 pm

clintone88 wrote:Got my scholarship offer today, 24k/yr. 165, 3.29

When did you get your acceptance?

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:54 am

Got the e-mail to check my status. Told that my application is being held. I'm assuming this is the same as a waitlist?

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:00 am

honest opinion from all....just got the call from FSU...they offering 17k/year (their tuitionis about 15).....UM offered me 20k/yr (which still isnt enough)....what whould you guys do, and why specifically

gov

Postby gov » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:03 am

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:honest opinion from all....just got the call from FSU...they offering 17k/year (their tuitionis about 15).....UM offered me 20k/yr (which still isnt enough)....what whould you guys do, and why specifically

Where do you want to work and what do you want to do?

fwiw, here are FSU's placement stats : --LinkRemoved--

So, if you are debt-averse, it looks like FSU may be your best bet. Now, whether or not you want the Miami experience or not is up to you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”