U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bill Cosby

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:58 pm

canesfan1986 wrote: So here's some S&N stuff for you: Is it necessary to go to top 14 to be successful or work in biglaw? No. Not all (see, more logical-type statements here) lawyers who went to UM and work at GT law have been there since 1967, meaning that there are connections you can get, which I believe you denied when you said UM grads can only get "mid/shitlaw" jobs, unless GT or HK are "mid/shitlaw" jobs to you. Also, there are lawyers who are recent UM grads there.

You're being overly literal. When a handful of people at the top of the class are getting biglaw jobs, while the rest are in mid/shit law, yeah, it's perfectly valid to characterize those (mid/shit) as the jobs available. Also, noting some senior partners there attended UM doesn't mean anything, unless you have a time machine so you can enter the legal profession in the 1960s.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:05 pm

All I said was pretty much this: "I expect to be able to keep a 3.2 GPA." I never understood exactly why I should think otherwise. If you do something and don't even believe you'll succeed, how will you? I'm going to be fine and I'm confident in that. You can say it's naive, but confidence is not innate; rather, it's bred out of stacking successes upon each other. I have done well my whole life in school, so why should I expect that to change? I know it's possible that I could tank it, but I'm not going in there with expectations of doing anything less than the best. It helps keep me focused I think, but everyone is allowed to think what they want to think. It's what I have always done and we are creatures of habit. I'm going into this fearlessly and with nothing to lose. The money isn't an issue, so I'm just going to try to be the best, which is what I expect of myself.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Why is it valid to characterize only the midlaw or smaller jobs as the only ones available? Just because there are only a few at the top doesn't mean that they aren't available. They are absolutely available and while I'm not going to presume I will finish #1 in my class, and the odds are that I don't, just going off of sheer probability, I certainly am not going to concede it either. I just don't understand people going into such a venture without a positive frame of mind. That was my ENTIRE POINT, before Mr. "I'm the LSAT king" started off on his tangent.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Anyway, I'm done with this stupidity, so who else got accepted and who's going?!? Can we start now?? I can't take work anymore lol

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:48 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Why is it valid to characterize only the midlaw or smaller jobs as the only ones available? Just because there are only a few at the top doesn't mean that they aren't available.

I normally stay out of these, but I'm from FL and have some knowledge on this issue. Miami is a highly desirable market for those from T25ish schools with connections to the city. Combine that with SA classes are down. Judging from NALP, there are maybe like 40-50 2L and 1L SA spots in whole city. A few firms still aren't hiring. The ones that do hire tend to be hiring 3, 4, 5 SAs maybe. Small classes, unlike years past when the economy was good. Firms love to have their pick of highly prestigious schools and will take them over UM grads with regularity.

Even assuming that Miami snapped up all the SA's left in the city, that would be only 10%ish of the people getting Biglaw. But judging from Calton Fields's most recent class, nothing even close to this is happening. Not a single UM student hired at the Miami office. Oh and by the way, Carlton Fields in one of the few firms that is actually doing well in the new economy. --LinkRemoved--

Recent hiring statistics confirm this, as UM does not even make the Top 50 for NLJ250 (rough approximation for biglaw) placement). The cutoff for #50 was 13.2%. What specific percentage we don't know, but judging from the state of FL's legal economy, it's horrendous. http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf

UM doesn't even lock down the local market. UF's prestige is equal to or greater than UM's.

Debt should be the #1 issue for prospective UM students, as it will be sheer, dumb luck whether you land a biglaw SA. Anyone without full tuition or close to it needs to do some soul searching, as COL alone will put you close to $60k in the hole for three years.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:26 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:All I said was pretty much this: "I expect to be able to keep a 3.2 GPA." I never understood exactly why I should think otherwise. If you do something and don't even believe you'll succeed, how will you? I'm going to be fine and I'm confident in that. You can say it's naive, but confidence is not innate; rather, it's bred out of stacking successes upon each other. I have done well my whole life in school, so why should I expect that to change? I know it's possible that I could tank it, but I'm not going in there with expectations of doing anything less than the best. It helps keep me focused I think, but everyone is allowed to think what they want to think. It's what I have always done and we are creatures of habit. I'm going into this fearlessly and with nothing to lose. The money isn't an issue, so I'm just going to try to be the best, which is what I expect of myself.

It is naive. You've done well in school? So has everyone else who will be 1Ls at Miami next year. It's easy to forget that while Miami is worlds behind the T14, the people who did get in are still people will decent GPAs and are in the top 30% of scorers on the LSAT. It's a much more competitive environment. The shortstop for the Royals isn't the best shortstop in the majors, but he's much better than a minor league shortstop or some kid playing ball in high school. That's the way you have to think about it. Just because you're good in absolute terms doesn't mean you're good in comparison.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:39 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Anyway, I'm done with this stupidity, so who else got accepted and who's going?!? Can we start now?? I can't take work anymore lol

Unless UF gets back to me with an acceptance, it's looking like Miami is my best bet.. Full price or not. At least I already have an apartment. Might be looking for a roommate :)

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Look, it comes down to this, if you want to go into school thinking you're gonna get killed in grades by everyone else, be my guest. Basically, it's a loser mentality that I'm not going to embrace. Even if somehow I were to fail, I'm not going into this with that mentality. Sorry, just not the way I work. You have fun with your way of looking at things and I'll go with mine. Expect to fail and you will fail. Period.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:51 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Look, it comes down to this, if you want to go into school thinking you're gonna get killed in grades by everyone else, be my guest. Basically, it's a loser mentality that I'm not going to embrace. Even if somehow I were to fail, I'm not going into this with that mentality. Sorry, just not the way I work. You have fun with your way of looking at things and I'll go with mine. Expect to fail and you will fail. Period.

Expect median, because statistically, that's where you will end up. Don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating at median from.

Good luck bro.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Statistically, I should've expected a 150, because it's the median, but I did much better than that. Either way, thanks and good luck to you too.

Rgaliana

Postby Rgaliana » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:01 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Statistically, I should've expected a 150, because it's the median, but I did much better than that. Either way, thanks and good luck to you too.

I agree with you- you have the right mentality. Go to law school, work your ass off, try your best to be at the top of your class. The difference, however, is that you have the power to succeed in the LSAT by your own merit. Law school grading is relative merit. It's a lot more out of your control.

But hell yes, go in there with a confident mindset.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:09 pm

That's exactly what I plan on doing. Working harder than I ever have and busting my ass, expecting nothing less than the best. If I fail, I fail. But I'm not turning down a scholarship to go to a school I really like because they expect me to do well. I expect much better than what they're expecting anyway. I'm glad somebody gets it though, finally!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:45 pm

What you are failing to grasp is that yes, they expect you to do well based on your LSAT, which is the reason why the LSAT is required in the first place. It is (supposedly) a good indicator of how well someone will perform in law school. That being said, just because you work your ass off to do the best YOU can do, doesn't mean that there will be MANY more students in the class that are simply better than your best. The forced curve means that even though you did your personal best, someone else may be slightly better than you are and take that last A or even B that they allow due to the curve and your 3.2 required for scholarship renewal is shot. Everyone else is just saying that there are better schools out there (heck, better schools in FLORIDA) that cost much less than UM even WITH the scholarship they are so *generously* offering. It isn't worth the risk of paying sticker price due to circumstances that are out of your control.

Swanky

Postby Swanky » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:24 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Barbie wrote:Another reason is that my boyfriend (who is going to LS with me) goes on and on about how gross UM is. I've never been myself (ironic, since I also live near s. florida).

Some of the buildings are a little dated, I'll admit. But I'm not sure if "nasty" is the right word to describe the campus. Sunshine and palm trees seem nice to me. :wink:

@Barbie: I went to UM and have lived in Miami most of my life. On price, I can't argue with you, UM is expensive. But I'll dispute the "nasty" school thing. Some of the buildings are pretty dated, definitely. But on the whole, the students on campus are happy, there are tons of trees and green spaces, and I found it to be a very nice place to go to school.

Parking sucks, but find a place close enough to campus (South Miami or Coral Gables) and you can bike to school. If you live downtown, you can take the Metrorail and get off at the University stop.

Of course, you'll need to do what's best for your circumstances and your career ambitions, but I found UM to be a pretty nice place.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:23 pm

As of now, for me it is between Kent and Miami. I'm from the Chicago area and have lived around there my whole life. Ending up in Chicago would be nice ... but nuthin wrong with Miami! I have traveled there and love it. Miami is amazing. Any preference or considerations to think about? Unless there is a humongous, humongous disparity, I don't think scholarship offers are going to sway me. And of course .. there are some reaches I'm waiting on, but those seem to be less likely than more likely -- though, you never know.

But Kent v. Miami. What are the pros and cons of both, and which school would YOU ultimately choose and why? Thanks.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Philosopher1 wrote:As of now, for me it is between Kent and Miami. I'm from the Chicago area and have lived around there my whole life. Ending up in Chicago would be nice ... but nuthin wrong with Miami! I have traveled there and love it. Miami is amazing. Any preference or considerations to think about? Unless there is a humongous, humongous disparity, I don't think scholarship offers are going to sway me. And of course .. there are some reaches I'm waiting on, but those seem to be less likely than more likely -- though, you never know.

But Kent v. Miami. What are the pros and cons of both, and which school would YOU ultimately choose and why? Thanks.

I would choose Miami based on the weather because that is a factor that is very important to me. I want to work to live, not live to work, and things that effect quality of life are always high on my fiancee's and I's importance list.

There are people that are driven and have a track record of success, and people that are naturally gifted or very wealthy and always think they will succeed next time. Unless you are the former, going to either of these two schools is a gamble. I wouldn't mind using my law degree to earn 50k a year, but earning that salary and trying to pay down 200k in debt is impossible. Good luck on whatever you choose!

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Been meaning to join for awhile, but figure new year, let me do it now...anyways, brief timeline sent application 10/12...accepted 11/8....but now i checked my mail today and got a scholarship offer.... 60k, (20k each yr)....157 LSAT, and 3.45gpa...the scholarship letter was dated 12/22

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:09 pm

That's good news. Congrats on the scholarship. I'm considering Miami. I'm from the Chicagoland area. My numbers were 3.63 GPA at a solid school and a (edit) LSAT. No idea what the scholarship offer is. Hopefully there will be one! I got accepted 12/22. Miami seems nice right about now with this weather over here :) We'll see what decisions I'm faced with when all the schools decide whether to accept me.

Any other opinions regarding Miami? If one does pretty solid there -- good job prospects? Hope everyone has a great 2011, and best of luck in getting into the school you want, too.
Last edited by Philosopher1 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjs20

Postby cjs20 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:40 pm

how does Miami notify you of the receipt of your application? I applied 12/8 and haven't gotten an email or anything. I realize that they are probably on vacation at the moment, but it is still disconcerting.

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:43 pm

cjs20 wrote:how does Miami notify you of the receipt of your application? I applied 12/8 and haven't gotten an email or anything. I realize that they are probably on vacation at the moment, but it is still disconcerting.

Via email

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:35 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:Been meaning to join for awhile, but figure new year, let me do it now...anyways, brief timeline sent application 10/12...accepted 11/8....but now i checked my mail today and got a scholarship offer.... 60k, (20k each yr)....157 LSAT, and 3.45gpa...the scholarship letter was dated 12/22

FortuneFavors are you URM by any chance? I was just curious because I have numbers just slightly better and am waiting to see if there is any chance I get any amt. of scholly because I haven't heard anything yet from them concerning one

unreality

Postby unreality » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:14 am

So what numbers does it take to get a full ride at UMiami? Have read a lot of 24K's but nothing higher than that. Are they still waiting to unleash the big guns?

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:42 am

Samples on LSN which look like full scholarships if the second profile is estimated.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bunbno
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/goheels22

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:23 am

ballboy899 wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:Been meaning to join for awhile, but figure new year, let me do it now...anyways, brief timeline sent application 10/12...accepted 11/8....but now i checked my mail today and got a scholarship offer.... 60k, (20k each yr)....157 LSAT, and 3.45gpa...the scholarship letter was dated 12/22

FortuneFavors are you URM by any chance? I was just curious because I have numbers just slightly better and am waiting to see if there is any chance I get any amt. of scholly because I haven't heard anything yet from them concerning one

No offense to you FortuneFavors, but I was going to ask the same thing since I'm in a similar position as ballboy

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:25 pm

none taken, but yea URM. PM'd ballboy earlier, but unless tons of other people also received letters dated around 12/22, maybe UM just sends out offers based on acceptance dates. So if you were accepted before me (11/8) and still havent received nothing, then yea that might be a problem. In case anyone was interested the exact title of the scholarship is "Dean's Honor Scholarship"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”