U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Cmart050

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Cmart050 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:20 am

SixStrings11 wrote:
Cmart050 wrote:Waitlisted.

2.95/166.

Already into FSU, 15 spots better and $24,000/year cheaper.

I feel a rant coming on, call McNulty and Bunk because it is about to get ugly.

15 spots? Recheck your math.. FSU: 54; Miami: 60... That's only 6 spots

Good point, its a good thing that was only the second most important math I had to do in that post :lol:

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:22 am

Cmart050 wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
Cmart050 wrote:Waitlisted.

2.95/166.

Already into FSU, 15 spots better and $24,000/year cheaper.

I feel a rant coming on, call McNulty and Bunk because it is about to get ugly.

15 spots? Recheck your math.. FSU: 54; Miami: 60... That's only 6 spots

Good point, its a good thing that was only the second most important math I had to do in that post :lol:

Well sure. Money is a big issue. Unfortunately I don't see myself getting accepted to UF or FSU (applied three months ago to both, haven't heard yet..).. so I have to do whatever I can to justify going to Miami at sticker price, if that's what it comes down to... :|

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:36 am

Don't go to law school!!! It's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggeeeeeee giiiiiiinoooooooormous gamble!!! Don't ever go unless it's free!!! Lol dude if you are going to law school, you're still in a small percentage of the population and good for you for going through with 3 more years of school.

I'll probably go to Miami, too. I got the 24k scholarship and I love it down here so it seems like a good fit for me. Maybe I'll see you around the U. go canes!

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:55 am

canesfan1986 wrote:Don't go to law school!!! It's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggeeeeeee giiiiiiinoooooooormous gamble!!! Don't ever go unless it's free!!! Lol dude if you are going to law school, you're still in a small percentage of the population and good for you for going through with 3 more years of school.

I'll probably go to Miami, too. I got the 24k scholarship and I love it down here so it seems like a good fit for me. Maybe I'll see you around the U. go canes!

At this point, it seems very likely. Hell, I'm in undergrad there now and I'm already in the law school area on a daily basis. But still, even a small scholarship would be nice.. I'm talking $5-7,000 a year... :x But yes, the area is awesome. I have no regrets spending the last four years of my life there.. and I'm sure I'd have no regrets spending the next three or so.. What's another $100,000 or so of debt, right?

I'll probably be seeing you at the Rat for free drinks on Law Student thursdays

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:57 am

Sorry I took a while to reply, been very busy.

Mostly because 24k @ Miami makes it the same as FSU and UF at sticker (and FSU is giving me 20k anyways). As of now Illinois is my top choice, even though I would be paying 25k a year after my scholarship there.

Another reason is that my boyfriend (who is going to LS with me) goes on and on about how gross UM is. I've never been myself (ironic, since I also live near s. florida). But he plays rugby and goes there a few times a year for matches, and says of all the schools they have to visit (UCF, UF, FSU, UNF, Embry Riddle, etc etc etc) Miami is the nastiest. I know one should never pick a law school because of this, but it actually plays a decent role in where I go (I srsly do much better when I enjoy my surroundings).

I have a few friends at Miami Law who like it though. However, none of them got into FSU or UF. But they feel as if they are getting a solid education, and are getting decent summer employment, etc etc.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:59 am

Barbie wrote:Another reason is that my boyfriend (who is going to LS with me) goes on and on about how gross UM is. I've never been myself (ironic, since I also live near s. florida).

Some of the buildings are a little dated, I'll admit. But I'm not sure if "nasty" is the right word to describe the campus. Sunshine and palm trees seem nice to me. :wink:

Last edited by SixStrings11 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:00 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Barbie wrote:Another reason is that my boyfriend (who is going to LS with me) goes on and on about how gross UM is. I've never been myself (ironic, since I also live near s. florida).

Some of the buildings are a little dated, I'll admit. But I'm not sure if "nasty" is the right word to describe the campus. Sunshine and palm trees seem nice to me. :wink:

We've both lived in sunshine with palm trees our whole life, so thats the standard. Buildings, roads, and people move the meter up and down haha.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Barbie wrote:We've both lived in sunshine with palm trees our whole life, so thats the standard. Buildings, roads, and people move the meter up and down haha.

That's true. They're doing some renovations right now around campus. Putting another road in, and adding some buildings. But it does bother me that some of the classrooms are clearly on the old side. Hasn't affected my education at all.. but I can see why some people who are just visiting can be turned off by it.

Cmart050

Postby Cmart050 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Barbie wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:

We've both lived in sunshine with palm trees our whole life, so thats the standard. Buildings, roads, and people move the meter up and down haha.

I've been to the campus a number of times for different reasons (work, girlfriend's graduation, football clinics in HS, etc.) and can say that while it is a nice campus, the buildings are getting pretty old and the PARKING OH DEAR LORD THE PARKING. Law students aren't allowed to live on campus so I believe that parking is a necessary evil though, and after attending their open house (fee waiver!) I distinctly remember many of the students I talked to having major gripes with the parking, saying the situation is horrific.

That being said, the Grove is nearby and that place is a blast.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:48 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Lol! Some people get so angry over nothing. You sound like you're yelling! I'm sorry, but who said anything about Miami at sticker price? I missed that part of the conversation and also the "fact" that you provided that you only get "mid/shitlaw" jobs in Miami when you go to UM. I mean, I see plenty of UM grads at places like GT, Holland & Knight, etc. so I must've missed the part on the application page where it says "You can only get a 'mid/shitlaw' job when you come to UM. Come and enjoy the shit!" lol I mean, really, get a life. If we all listened to posters on this board, we shouldn't go to law school unless it's HYS because after that you have no future in law and should just kill yourself. Ridiculous.

apparently you find it difficult to follow a simple stream of logic, no wonder, you only did so well on the lsat that you are seriously looking at UM so I guess I can't be expecting very much. If one was to lose their scholly due to the 3.2 req, then they would be paying sticker.. ok now try to follow that simple IF X -> Y. ok good. Now, as far as placement. Please quantify "plenty", and yes you will see ppl at GT (they were founded there in 1967, so they should have connections) and HK started in Tampa, same effect. Your regional reach is not far and you should accept this, apart from being at the tip of a peninsula. Also, if you are unwilling to admit UM is highly overpriced, in a high COL area, and a second rate school then you are either simply in denial or just batshit crazy. My apologies if this information offends you, but this is the reality of UM, few with reach the top and many will fall by the wayside. Only so many can be in the top 10%.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:58 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Lol! Some people get so angry over nothing. You sound like you're yelling! I'm sorry, but who said anything about Miami at sticker price? I missed that part of the conversation and also the "fact" that you provided that you only get "mid/shitlaw" jobs in Miami when you go to UM. I mean, I see plenty of UM grads at places like GT, Holland & Knight, etc. so I must've missed the part on the application page where it says "You can only get a 'mid/shitlaw' job when you come to UM. Come and enjoy the shit!" lol I mean, really, get a life. If we all listened to posters on this board, we shouldn't go to law school unless it's HYS because after that you have no future in law and should just kill yourself. Ridiculous.

apparently you find it difficult to follow a simple stream of logic, no wonder, you only did so well on the lsat that you are seriously looking at UM so I guess I can't be expecting very much. If one was to lose their scholly due to the 3.2 req, then they would be paying sticker.. ok now try to follow that simple IF X -> Y. ok good. Now, as far as placement. Please quantify "plenty", and yes you will see ppl at GT (they were founded there in 1967, so they should have connections) and HK started in Tampa, same effect. Your regional reach is not far and you should accept this, apart from being at the tip of a peninsula. Also, if you are unwilling to admit UM is highly overpriced, in a high COL area, and a second rate school then you are either simply in denial or just batshit crazy. My apologies if this information offends you, but this is the reality of UM, few with reach the top and many will fall by the wayside. Only so many can be in the top 10%.

I don't understand why some people constantly go out of there way to try to make other people feel like crap on this site. An LSAT score is a number. Just because you scored better on a test than somebody else doesn't make you smarter or better than them. This guy is probably an anti-social weirdo who probably has nothing else to his name besides the ability to score well on tests. Somebody considering Miami doesn't necessarily imply that they can't get in anywhere else. Maybe his family went there? Maybe he likes Miami? Maybe Miami is a good school? Somebody needs to stick a pin in this guys head and pop his overly inflated ego.

Rgaliana

Postby Rgaliana » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:00 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:

If one was to lose their scholly due to the 3.2 req, then they would be paying sticker..

I don't think that's true. Wouldn't you be bumped down to the next tier of scholarship? (i.e., $16,000, etc..) ?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:00 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:

Srsly uncalled for. :|

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:10 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:

You are a jackass... Get the hell out of this thread if you hate Miami so much. I didn't do well on the LSAT either. It so happens that I am #1 in my major and top 2% of a class of over 1700 people at a very good university. Why didn't I do well on the LSAT? English was my second language, and I have several other reasons as well. Just because someone didn't do well on the LSAT does not give you the right to comment on their intellectual abilities. In fact, people with the highest IQ level tend not to do better than their counterparts with a high EQ level.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Or it could be that I live here, love living here, and dont want to leave. I think ANY is school that charges $40k a year is overpriced, because in no way are you GUARANTEED a great job that pays enough to merit that kind of debt. Is it more likely that you get a higher paying job and have more reach going to a T14 school? Yes, it's more likely. You should understand sufficient and necessary, since you're the LSAT god around here and apparently did better than me without even being certain of my score or motivations for choosing the school I do. So here's some S&N stuff for you: Is it necessary to go to top 14 to be successful or work in biglaw? No. Not all (see, more logical-type statements here) lawyers who went to UM and work at GT law have been there since 1967, meaning that there are connections you can get, which I believe you denied when you said UM grads can only get "mid/shitlaw" jobs, unless GT or HK are "mid/shitlaw" jobs to you. Also, there are lawyers who are recent UM grads there. I hope you're following these statements, mighty LSAT conquerer. So, since it is not necessary to attend a top 14 to get the job I want, I choose to stay home and study. You choose to go around message boards parading your intellectual "superiority," which is only superior to yourself, while under the assumption that all people who go to law school want to go to top 14 (or whatever your criteria is) without acknowledging the possibility that people CAN have alterior motives for making their institutional selection. Thus, proving that not everyone who does well on the LSAT is as intelligent as they claim to be. People could, technically, guess the entire thing correctly. No matter how improbable that is, it can happen.

Thank you and have a great day!

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:50 pm

2Serious4Numbers = tool

emilyvvv

Postby emilyvvv » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:51 pm

In as of this morning! My first acceptance out of the cycle. WOO!

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:56 pm

2Serious4Numbers should be 2Stupid4Law

Congrats on your acceptance, btw. (Not 2Stupid4Law, we don't want that idiot here lol)

Cmart050

Postby Cmart050 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Or it could be that I live here, love living here, and dont want to leave. I think ANY is school that charges $40k a year is overpriced, because in no way are you GUARANTEED a great job that pays enough to merit that kind of debt. Is it more likely that you get a higher paying job and have more reach going to a T14 school? Yes, it's more likely. You should understand sufficient and necessary, since you're the LSAT god around here and apparently did better than me without even being certain of my score or motivations for choosing the school I do. So here's some S&N stuff for you: Is it necessary to go to top 14 to be successful or work in biglaw? No. Not all (see, more logical-type statements here) lawyers who went to UM and work at GT law have been there since 1967, meaning that there are connections you can get, which I believe you denied when you said UM grads can only get "mid/shitlaw" jobs, unless GT or HK are "mid/shitlaw" jobs to you. Also, there are lawyers who are recent UM grads there. I hope you're following these statements, mighty LSAT conquerer. So, since it is not necessary to attend a top 14 to get the job I want, I choose to stay home and study. You choose to go around message boards parading your intellectual "superiority," which is only superior to yourself, while under the assumption that all people who go to law school want to go to top 14 (or whatever your criteria is) without acknowledging the possibility that people CAN have alterior motives for making their institutional selection. Thus, proving that not everyone who does well on the LSAT is as intelligent as they claim to be. People could, technically, guess the entire thing correctly. No matter how improbable that is, it can happen.

2Serious4Numbers is quite the douche, but no reason for you to get that worked up. If you've got strength in your convictions about UM you wouldn't be hassled to write up that entire post defending it.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Yeah, you're right, but seriously why should I feel bad for attending the school that I WANT to attend. It's funny, but I feel like the entire point of this board is to have people going to HYS tell you that you can't make it if you go somewhere else and to boast about their accomplishments, which as of now only involve being accepted. Success at those schools, as well as any other, is not a guarantee. What if they fail and don't graduate? Then all the talk is for nothing because nothing will have been accomplished. This reminds me of playing basketball at the gym. There's always people who are better than you and like to act all cocky, when at the end of the day, they suck too because none of us are in the NBA! None of us have even begun law school, so how can anyone come on here and assume more success before it has come even remotely close to fruition? I know I'm going on and on here, but I can't stand people like that. Go get a life, a girlfriend, a boyfriend, whatever keeps you from being a dick for no reason.

Cmart050

Postby Cmart050 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:20 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Yeah, you're right, but seriously why should I feel bad for attending the school that I WANT to attend. It's funny, but I feel like the entire point of this board is to have people going to HYS tell you that you can't make it if you go somewhere else and to boast about their accomplishments, which as of now only involve being accepted. Success at those schools, as well as any other, is not a guarantee. What if they fail and don't graduate? Then all the talk is for nothing because nothing will have been accomplished. This reminds me of playing basketball at the gym. There's always people who are better than you and like to act all cocky, when at the end of the day, they suck too because none of us are in the NBA! None of us have even begun law school, so how can anyone come on here and assume more success before it has come even remotely close to fruition? I know I'm going on and on here, but I can't stand people like that. Go get a life, a girlfriend, a boyfriend, whatever keeps you from being a dick for no reason.

I get what you are saying, but if you hate people like that you may be getting into the wrong field lol

To get this back on topic, I do not believe UM to be a bad school by any means, and its connections to the south Florida market go a long way. That being said, while FIU is a relatively new school, I do not believe the discrepancy in rankings validates the difference in tuition between the two. While many on this board will dismiss it if they are not from the 305/954 due to its fourth tier placement, I believe that the more than $25,000/year difference, not including housing which is FARRRRRR cheaper by FIU, gives the opportunity to escape school without the weight of $150,000 in debt and come from a school that is on its way up and will be relevant in coming decades. Furthermore, if you are at auto-admit level at UM and wish to stay in south Florida, you may very well get a scholarship to FIU, greatening the cost discrepancy between the two schools.

It sounds like heresy, but the basis of my conclusions is that the boost given from UM's ranking isn't substantial enough to justify the probability of sever debt without means to satisfying it when there are other viable options available. Also, this obviously goes for those who must weigh the risk/reward aspect of law school and do not come from a wealthy family, have a guaranteed job no matter what, etc.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Yeah, I hear you. I guess I'll just learn to deal with it lol but yea man I went to FIU for UG and it's a nice school thats growing really quickly. That being said, I've always wanted to go to UM but couldn't stomach the tuition the first time for a Bachelor's. Now that I have a nice scholarship, I think I'm headed to the U.

Cmart050

Postby Cmart050 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:30 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Yeah, I hear you. I guess I'll just learn to deal with it lol but yea man I went to FIU for UG and it's a nice school thats growing really quickly. That being said, I've always wanted to go to UM but couldn't stomach the tuition the first time for a Bachelor's. Now that I have a nice scholarship, I think I'm headed to the U.

Ahh, didn't know about the scholarship. Congratulations on that, certainly makes the decision much easier. While I am certainly confident in myself to find work after law school, the probabilities of success leave too much sheer randomness which is where my risk-aversion towards law school stems from.

Still surprised about being wait-listed after being accepted so quickly to Tally. Oh well, makes my decision about where to go that much easier.

http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/appli ... ,8&type=jd

Edit: Didn't even look at 09-10 application stats. I wonder if I accidentally referred to them as UF or something lol

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Yea thank you. I hate the Noles as much as anyone, but if I got $24k to go there, I might. I didn't apply though because I was pretty much set on the U and I have no living expenses here, along with my gf and Heat tickets. Pretty much a done deal with the last one there lol jk

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Cmart050 wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Or it could be that I live here, love living here, and dont want to leave. I think ANY is school that charges $40k a year is overpriced, because in no way are you GUARANTEED a great job that pays enough to merit that kind of debt. Is it more likely that you get a higher paying job and have more reach going to a T14 school? Yes, it's more likely. You should understand sufficient and necessary, since you're the LSAT god around here and apparently did better than me without even being certain of my score or motivations for choosing the school I do. So here's some S&N stuff for you: Is it necessary to go to top 14 to be successful or work in biglaw? No. Not all (see, more logical-type statements here) lawyers who went to UM and work at GT law have been there since 1967, meaning that there are connections you can get, which I believe you denied when you said UM grads can only get "mid/shitlaw" jobs, unless GT or HK are "mid/shitlaw" jobs to you. Also, there are lawyers who are recent UM grads there. I hope you're following these statements, mighty LSAT conquerer. So, since it is not necessary to attend a top 14 to get the job I want, I choose to stay home and study. You choose to go around message boards parading your intellectual "superiority," which is only superior to yourself, while under the assumption that all people who go to law school want to go to top 14 (or whatever your criteria is) without acknowledging the possibility that people CAN have alterior motives for making their institutional selection. Thus, proving that not everyone who does well on the LSAT is as intelligent as they claim to be. People could, technically, guess the entire thing correctly. No matter how improbable that is, it can happen.

2Serious4Numbers is quite the douche, but no reason for you to get that worked up. If you've got strength in your convictions about UM you wouldn't be hassled to write up that entire post defending it.

Oh please. 2S4N took it over the line, but his general thesis was correct. It's massively naive to pretend it's likely scholarship recipients will retain them.
Last edited by Bill Cosby on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”