U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
skirschner1
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby skirschner1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:16 am

ads222 wrote:Skirschner, if you dont mind sharing, how did miami contact you about the scholorship and when did you hear?
Email or snail mail?

Thanks and congrats!

I got an email last week (Wednesday I think) letting me know I got a scholarship but they didnt tell me how much. They just said a letter was in the mail and I finally received it today.

User avatar
rockyIV
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:12 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby rockyIV » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:20 am

Mine came in the mail today too, I am assuming everyone got the 24k offer. Wasn't there a diversity scholarship or something with the application we could apply for? My mind is mixing up all the applications and different requirements, but I am pretty sure there was a scholarship application with the regular jd application, is this the same scholarship?

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:41 am

Got the 24k offer as well.

User avatar
plt06
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby plt06 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:34 am

Ya, the email is usually followed by the letter a week later. That's how it worked last year, and it looks like that's how it'll work this year. Last year I got a 26k offer, don't know if they're cutting back across the board this year. We'll see.

cmk
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby cmk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:10 pm

I got the same offer today via postal letter. I also applied for Miami Scholars, but that's a separate scholarship, correct?

User avatar
jazz17
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby jazz17 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi All,

I've noticed that all of you applied pretty early. I'm submitting my app by the end of this week....am I too late?

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby 2011Cycle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:22 pm

jazz17 wrote:Hi All,

I've noticed that all of you applied pretty early. I'm submitting my app by the end of this week....am I too late?


Unless Miami changes it pattern of admitting 50% of its applicants and accepting application through the summer prior to the fall start date, you are not late.

User avatar
Swanky
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Swanky » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:10 pm

cmk wrote:I got the same offer today via postal letter. I also applied for Miami Scholars, but that's a separate scholarship, correct?


Yeah, that's a separate process handled by a different dean.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:40 pm

24k/year. will likely withdraw my application soon :(

User avatar
Swanky
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Swanky » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Barbie wrote:24k/year. will likely withdraw my application soon :(


How come?

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:35 pm

Barbie wrote:24k/year. will likely withdraw my application soon :(


Isn't Illinois your number 1 anyway?

User avatar
2Serious4Numbers
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:35 pm

Swanky wrote:
Barbie wrote:24k/year. will likely withdraw my application soon :(


How come?


high COL...
high tuition...
prob also got the 3.2 requirement...
already into a vastly better school w/ $$$ (i think)...

pay attention.

User avatar
Swanky
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Swanky » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:50 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:
Swanky wrote:
Barbie wrote:24k/year. will likely withdraw my application soon :(


How come?


high COL...
high tuition...
prob also got the 3.2 requirement...
already into a vastly better school w/ $$$ (i think)...

pay attention.


Sorry, dude. Kindly lower your guns and I'll make sure I don't ask any excessive questions.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:30 am

Why does everyone make such a big deal about having a GPA requirement? It's a 3.2; that's a B. I don't know if it's just me, but seriously, if you're not confident that you're going to get even a 3.2 then what's the point of going to law school? You're going to graduate with less than that? Obviously if they're giving you money, they expect you to do well. I don't think it's ridiculous for them to request that you get a solid B or higher, considering they probably feel that merit scholarship recipients should graduate highly in their class anyway. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any sort of GPA stipulation as a deterrent because I feel strongly that I will do better than the 3.2 they require. It's possible that I don't, obviously, but there's no way I'm going into law school with such a mentality.

Rgaliana
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Rgaliana » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:45 am

canesfan1986 wrote:Why does everyone make such a big deal about having a GPA requirement? It's a 3.2; that's a B. I don't know if it's just me, but seriously, if you're not confident that you're going to get even a 3.2 then what's the point of going to law school? You're going to graduate with less than that? Obviously if they're giving you money, they expect you to do well. I don't think it's ridiculous for them to request that you get a solid B or higher, considering they probably feel that merit scholarship recipients should graduate highly in their class anyway. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any sort of GPA stipulation as a deterrent because I feel strongly that I will do better than the 3.2 they require. It's possible that I don't, obviously, but there's no way I'm going into law school with such a mentality.


There's a forced curve.

Cum Laudes in some law school graduate with 3.2's. It's not like everyone is allowed to have B's.
Last edited by Rgaliana on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:58 am

Rgaliana wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Why does everyone make such a big deal about having a GPA requirement? It's a 3.2; that's a B. I don't know if it's just me, but seriously, if you're not confident that you're going to get even a 3.2 then what's the point of going to law school? You're going to graduate with less than that? Obviously if they're giving you money, they expect you to do well. I don't think it's ridiculous for them to request that you get a solid B or higher, considering they probably feel that merit scholarship recipients should graduate highly in their class anyway. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any sort of GPA stipulation as a deterrent because I feel strongly that I will do better than the 3.2 they require. It's possible that I don't, obviously, but there's no way I'm going into law school with such a mentality.


There's a forced curve.

Cum Laudes in law school graduate with 3.2's. It's not like everyone is allowed to have B's.


This. As someone else noted earlier in the thread, 3.2 seems to roughly be top third. When you think about it like that, it's clear why the condition is looking upon negatively.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:05 am

Ok, I understand, but I don't know why people wouldn't embrace that challenge instead of running away from it. Maybe a GPA stipulation will push people to study harder and better, who knows? I just won't turn down money because someone requires that I perform well. It's like if you get a high-paying job, they naturally expect you to do well. If you don't, you'll get fired, but why would anyone assume they'll fail and run away from that? I just don't get it.

User avatar
2Serious4Numbers
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:27 am

canesfan1986 wrote:Ok, I understand, but I don't know why people wouldn't embrace that challenge instead of running away from it. Maybe a GPA stipulation will push people to study harder and better, who knows? I just won't turn down money because someone requires that I perform well. It's like if you get a high-paying job, they naturally expect you to do well. If you don't, you'll get fired, but why would anyone assume they'll fail and run away from that? I just don't get it.


embrace that challenge? How about embracing a sizable amount of debt on top of their high costs already (in comparison to other schools). It's all about security and the fact that going to Miami is already a HUGE risk because, well, they suck unless you wanna 100% do mid/shitlaw in Florida. Let's not forget they are still a tier two and with that kinda stipulation the force of that kinda money loses it's appeal real fast. Call me a downer or whatever but ITE Miami is a gamble not worth taking at sticker

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:40 am

Lol! Some people get so angry over nothing. You sound like you're yelling! I'm sorry, but who said anything about Miami at sticker price? I missed that part of the conversation and also the "fact" that you provided that you only get "mid/shitlaw" jobs in Miami when you go to UM. I mean, I see plenty of UM grads at places like GT, Holland & Knight, etc. so I must've missed the part on the application page where it says "You can only get a 'mid/shitlaw' job when you come to UM. Come and enjoy the shit!" lol I mean, really, get a life. If we all listened to posters on this board, we shouldn't go to law school unless it's HYS because after that you have no future in law and should just kill yourself. Ridiculous.

Cmart050
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Cmart050 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:50 am

Waitlisted.

2.95/166.

Already into FSU, 15 spots better and $24,000/year cheaper.

I feel a rant coming on, call McNulty and Bunk because it is about to get ugly.

Rgaliana
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Rgaliana » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:01 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Ok, I understand, but I don't know why people wouldn't embrace that challenge instead of running away from it. Maybe a GPA stipulation will push people to study harder and better, who knows? I just won't turn down money because someone requires that I perform well. It's like if you get a high-paying job, they naturally expect you to do well. If you don't, you'll get fired, but why would anyone assume they'll fail and run away from that? I just don't get it.


Miami is already a HUGE risk because, well, they suck unless you wanna 100% do mid/shitlaw in Florida.


That's not true. UMiami has notably good regional pull in the South Florida area. Tons of UMiami grads are placed in top law firms down here. North of Orlando, however, is a different story.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:02 am

Congrats on FSU. Are you going to be attending?

deliriousxix
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby deliriousxix » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:06 am

I turned in my app in mid-November and then mailed the certificate in late November. The admissions lady e-mailed me telling me a couple days after I sent it that they had not received my cert. letter yet, so I just decided to fax it to her on 12/3. I feel like I should have gotten a decision by now because decisions for everybody else with my numbers came back relatively quick. I have a 161/3.32. Has anybody else near these numbers who submitted around the same time still not received a decision?? Trying to figure out whether I should start panicking haha :wink:

Cmart050
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Cmart050 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:12 am

canesfan1986 wrote:Congrats on FSU. Are you going to be attending?


Certainly seems that way now. Been a Canes fan my whole life but the only way I was attending was if I got a scholarship to put the price in the neighborhood of FSU. Still waiting to hear back from Emory and UF, the only two schools that would constitute a decision for me.

Don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but as a future 'Nole or Gator, we must forevermore be enemies!

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:18 am

Cmart050 wrote:Waitlisted.

2.95/166.

Already into FSU, 15 spots better and $24,000/year cheaper.

I feel a rant coming on, call McNulty and Bunk because it is about to get ugly.


15 spots? Recheck your math.. FSU: 54; Miami: 60... That's only 6 spots. Unless you weren't referring to TLS rankings?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], NorCalOldGuy, raidr and 18 guests