U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flgator10

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby flgator10 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:06 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
jr1886 wrote:The other day I was checking if UF was still the top dog for undergrad in Florida and saw Miami has passed them :-(. Miami football still sucks although UF seems to be following in their foot steps.

Unfortunately I can't argue that. And I'm afraid that as long as Randy Shannon is leading the program Miami will never get back to being a great football program. I'm just praying for an ACC championship. :cry: And yes, UF took a few leaps back without Tebow

Definitely not our year. I personally am hoping they will get rid of Addazio and get someone who actually knows how to call plays. But as far as the education goes, I think UF is only ranked like 3 spots below Miami...I'd take the UF degree any day rather than having to pay $36,000 a year...for undergrad!

Sure thing. UF is a great school, regardless of the rankings. And I agree on the price. Lucky for me I'm at UM on academic scholarship - definitely helpful. Both schools have good programs. I wasn't trying to start a "my school is better than yours" war.. I was just citing some evidence that even though Miami's Law School ranking isn't as high as the other Florida schools at the moment, there's a good shot that it can catch up in the next few years given their undergrad trends, and the law school trends (moved up a lot in the past few years).

For the price, certainly UF wins. But I wouldn't count Miami out as a great school to attend if your numbers are a little lower or if you just prefer the south Florida area (and don't mind paying or get a nice scholarship).

Oh, I certainly wasn't trying to put Miami down in any way. I think it's a great school, both for undergrad and law school. Congratulations on your academic scholarship. If it had not been for the pricey tuition I may have even attended for undergrad too. And although I would love to attend UF or FSU for law school because of the in state tuition, I have a much better shot of getting into Miami (haven't gotten my October LSAT score back yet, but I am pretty certain I will be in the bottom range for both UF and FSU). I am pretty certain that Miami will continue to rise in the law school rankings as well.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 pm

flgator10 wrote:Oh, I certainly wasn't trying to put Miami down in any way. I think it's a great school, both for undergrad and law school. Congratulations on your academic scholarship. If it had not been for the pricey tuition I may have even attended for undergrad too. And although I would love to attend UF or FSU for law school because of the in state tuition, I have a much better shot of getting into Miami (haven't gotten my October LSAT score back yet, but I am pretty certain I will be in the bottom range for both UF and FSU). I am pretty certain that Miami will continue to rise in the law school rankings as well.

That's where I stand also. My scores are Miami's upper end, but UF and FSU's lower. It would be great to have some options as to where I go, but Miami is looking like my best bet. But it could definitely be worse :mrgreen: Anyway, good luck to you, and to everyone else, with all applications.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:19 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:Oh, I certainly wasn't trying to put Miami down in any way. I think it's a great school, both for undergrad and law school. Congratulations on your academic scholarship. If it had not been for the pricey tuition I may have even attended for undergrad too. And although I would love to attend UF or FSU for law school because of the in state tuition, I have a much better shot of getting into Miami (haven't gotten my October LSAT score back yet, but I am pretty certain I will be in the bottom range for both UF and FSU). I am pretty certain that Miami will continue to rise in the law school rankings as well.

That's where I stand also. My scores are Miami's upper end, but UF and FSU's lower. It would be great to have some options as to where I go, but Miami is looking like my best bet. But it could definitely be worse :mrgreen: Anyway, good luck to you, and to everyone else, with all applications.

Nice to know I am not alone! I definitely wouldn't mind ending up at Miami. And free beer every Thursday doesn't sound so bad either. Good luck to you too with all of your applications!

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:21 pm

flgator10 wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:

Nice to know I am not alone! I definitely wouldn't mind ending up at Miami. And free beer every Thursday doesn't sound so bad either. Good luck to you too with all of your applications!

Haha thanks a lot. And it might be every other thursday. I'll have to look into that

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:

Haha thanks a lot. And it might be every other thursday. I'll have to look into that

I think on the tour I took a couple weeks ago at the open house they said every Thursday, but I could be wrong. Either way, I will definitely be taking advantage of that!

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:32 pm

flgator10 wrote:I think on the tour I took a couple weeks ago at the open house they said every Thursday, but I could be wrong. Either way, I will definitely be taking advantage of that!

I'm right there with ya

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:53 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
jr1886 wrote:The other day I was checking if UF was still the top dog for undergrad in Florida and saw Miami has passed them :-(. Miami football still sucks although UF seems to be following in their foot steps.

Unfortunately I can't argue that. And I'm afraid that as long as Randy Shannon is leading the program Miami will never get back to being a great football program. I'm just praying for an ACC championship. :cry: And yes, UF took a few leaps back without Tebow

Definitely not our year. I personally am hoping they will get rid of Addazio and get someone who actually knows how to call plays. But as far as the education goes, I think UF is only ranked like 3 spots below Miami...I'd take the UF degree any day rather than having to pay $36,000 a year...for undergrad!

Sure thing. UF is a great school, regardless of the rankings. And I agree on the price. Lucky for me I'm at UM on academic scholarship - definitely helpful. Both schools have good programs. I wasn't trying to start a "my school is better than yours" war.. I was just citing some evidence that even though Miami's Law School ranking isn't as high as the other Florida schools at the moment, there's a good shot that it can catch up in the next few years given their undergrad trends, and the law school trends (moved up a lot in the past few years).

For the price, certainly UF wins. But I wouldn't count Miami out as a great school to attend if your numbers are a little lower or if you just prefer the south Florida area (and don't mind paying or get a nice scholarship).

The UF offense sucks. Why hasn't Steve Adozio been fired yet? I think we only score 13 pts in the last two games something that never happened during my years at Undergrad 2006-10.

I will be applying to all the schools you guys are applying but I am not sure which one is my favorite yet.

And good job guys for keeping it civil here. As a UF alum, as much as it pains me to say, Our football team sucks this year.

streetlight

Postby streetlight » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm personally pleased with the fact that this thread has turned into a football discussion.

As an undergrad at Indiana, I'd trade my left arm for either of your programs.

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey guys, just out of curiosity, did any of you fill out that optional "Miami Scholars" scholarship form, even if you didn't have much of a community service background?

My GPA and LSAT are very high (>75%) for The U, but I'm applying with the chance that I'll get a substantial scholarship package. However, I don't want to fill out this information and basically magnify the fact that I don't have much community service in my background.

Any advice?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:20 pm

jamiLAW wrote:Hey guys, just out of curiosity, did any of you fill out that optional "Miami Scholars" scholarship form, even if you didn't have much of a community service background?

My GPA and LSAT are very high (>75%) for The U, but I'm applying with the chance that I'll get a substantial scholarship package. However, I don't want to fill out this information and basically magnify the fact that I don't have much community service in my background.

Any advice?

Its for those looking to do pro bono work after graduation. If that's you, do it! I personally am looking for $$$ after I graduate... so I didn't fill it out (they emailed me about it after I applied, though, which I thought was interesting)

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Barbie wrote:
jamiLAW wrote:Hey guys, just out of curiosity, did any of you fill out that optional "Miami Scholars" scholarship form, even if you didn't have much of a community service background?

Any advice?

Its for those looking to do pro bono work after graduation. If that's you, do it! I personally am looking for $$$ after I graduate... so I didn't fill it out (they emailed me about it after I applied, though, which I thought was interesting)

Thanks for responding! Lol yeah, I'm with you on that; pro bono work would be nice if I wasn't in huge debt after three years of law school!

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:22 pm

jamiLAW wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Any advice?

Thanks for responding! Lol yeah, I'm with you on that; pro bono work would be nice if I wasn't in huge debt after three years of law school!

I'm in the process of filling out the Miami Scholars form right now. Not liking this 1,000 word essay though.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:31 pm

flgator10 wrote:I'm in the process of filling out the Miami Scholars form right now. Not liking this 1,000 word essay though.

That's cool you're interested in probono.

Jamilaw- i would consider probono if I was debt FREE, but the Miami scholars scholarship isn't full tuition. It's a little over half. Couple that with the really high cost of living and you're still going to have debt needed to be paid off. I'm hoping for some $ from Miami without that scholarship, but I have NO idea what type of numbers get $ so I'm not holding my breath hah.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:I'm in the process of filling out the Miami Scholars form right now. Not liking this 1,000 word essay though.

Jamilaw- i would consider probono if I was debt FREE, but the Miami scholars scholarship isn't full tuition. It's a little over half. Couple that with the really high cost of living and you're still going to have debt needed to be paid off. I'm hoping for some $ from Miami without that scholarship, but I have NO idea what type of numbers get $ so I'm not holding my breath hah.

Is it only for pro bono? I was under the impression that it was just for anybody interested in public service. I'm planning on going into child advocacy, so that is why I'm applying. I know I won't be getting paid very well but I at least hope to be making something when I graduate. The guy I talked to at UF's law school fair thing told me I should apply for it. No idea how any of this works though.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:42 pm

flgator10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Is it only for pro bono? I was under the impression that it was just for anybody interested in public service. I'm planning on going into child advocacy, so that is why I'm applying. I know I won't be getting paid very well but I at least hope to be making something when I graduate. The guy I talked to at UF's law school fair thing told me I should apply for it. No idea how any of this works though.

haha I was like UF adcomms told you to apply to Miami? Then I read it the right way. Yeah when the lady emailed me about it (probably because my PS I suppose) I looked into it a little. It's pretty much for those willing to sacrifice a high paycheck to help those in need yadda yadda yadda. I have a lot of respect for such people but I need to support my family first :( Or try to hah.

Strictly Bum

Postby Strictly Bum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Hey Guys I am an undergrad here at Miami and could answer questions about the people, the campus, Coral Gables anything ask away. Hopefully I could make it to Law here

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:Hey Guys I am an undergrad here at Miami and could answer questions about the people, the campus, Coral Gables anything ask away. Hopefully I could make it to Law here

Some Canes backup. Maybe we know each other..haha. Good luck with your applications

Strictly Bum

Postby Strictly Bum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:12 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:Hey Guys I am an undergrad here at Miami and could answer questions about the people, the campus, Coral Gables anything ask away. Hopefully I could make it to Law here

Some Canes backup. Maybe we know each other..haha. Good luck with your applications

haha maybe what major are u in? are u from Flo-rida

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:48 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:

haha maybe what major are u in? are u from Flo-rida

I'll go ahead and send you a PM

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:46 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/fredmcgriff

Applied to U Miami on 10/11. It's the only FL school I'm interested in. I toured UF and FSU and didn't like either, I've got a lot of good connections in South FL and have no interest in ever living in the state more than an hour north of Miami. I liked it a lot when I toured, hope I get in. Good luck everybody!

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 pm

8)
Last edited by gdane on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:07 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/fredmcgriff

Applied to U Miami on 10/11. It's the only FL school I'm interested in. I toured UF and FSU and didn't like either, I've got a lot of good connections in South FL and have no interest in ever living in the state more than an hour north of Miami. I liked it a lot when I toured, hope I get in. Good luck everybody!

I totally feel you, but UF and FSU, mainly UF, would be much better than UM in every aspect. Cost especially.

I got in with a 154, 3.3 last year. If youre anywhere above those numbers you should be ok.

Good luck!

gdane. You are an URM. Fred McGriff is not. Without that boost, getting in with a GPA just above the 25th percentile and an LSAT score below it is VERY slim. According to LSN, you need at least a 155 to have a shot (but still, most of them were URMs). 157 is the most competitive #.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Barbie wrote:
gdane5 wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/fredmcgriff

I totally feel you, but UF and FSU, mainly UF, would be much better than UM in every aspect. Cost especially.

I got in with a 154, 3.3 last year. If youre anywhere above those numbers you should be ok.

Good luck!

gdane. You are an URM. Fred McGriff is not. Without that boost, getting in with a GPA just above the 25th percentile and an LSAT score below it is VERY slim. According to LSN, you need at least a 155 to have a shot (but still, most of them were URMs). 157 is the most competitive #.

Does anybody know what kind of numbers you need to be offered scholarship money? Also, is Miami splitter friendly? Still waiting on my LSAT but let's just say I somehow completely bombed it and got under a 155 but I have a 3.8 gpa.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:13 pm

flgator10 wrote:Does anybody know what kind of numbers you need to be offered scholarship money? Also, is Miami splitter friendly? Still waiting on my LSAT but let's just say I somehow completely bombed it and got under a 155 but I have a 3.8 gpa.

It happens. Here is a non-URM profile with @ 3.8 and 155 who was accepted
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sbtb123/jd

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:15 pm

Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:Does anybody know what kind of numbers you need to be offered scholarship money? Also, is Miami splitter friendly? Still waiting on my LSAT but let's just say I somehow completely bombed it and got under a 155 but I have a 3.8 gpa.

It happens. Here is a non-URM profile with @ 3.8 and 155 who was accepted
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sbtb123/jd

Thanks! Although if my score really is that bad I will probably retake in December...but nice to know there is still hope!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”