U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SixStrings11

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Barbie wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:I know a couple of lawyers that graduated from Miami several years ago.. they're doing pretty ok for themselves. Nice houses, nice cars, wives don't work.. I know these guys only represent a small sample.. but still, I don't think they regret their decision to go to Miami.

EDIT: Just want to add that I'm not saying everyone that goes to UM will be successful.. Just saying I've seen real life examples of it..

Well, I also know someone who graduated from COOLEY doing well, and a ton of people who graduated from Stetson (Tampa private T3 law school) doing very, very well. I worked for a firm with Stetson grads and just interviewed with the biggest firm in Tampa who also has Stetson grads. I still wouldn't specifically recommend someone go there...

Fair enough.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:04 pm

I wonder if we are going to get a package in the mail from Miami....

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Idk they said it would all be paperless because they were trying to do their part to be green in the first email I got.

Also I may just be missing something but does anyone know how the UM status checker works? Like I can login to my UM but don't see any kind of status updates or anything.

Thanks

j88

Postby j88 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Barbie wrote:I wonder if we are going to get a package in the mail from Miami....

Yeah it would be nice to get a little more information than the acceptance screen and what now link since I don't feel like either really said anything.

Neo

Postby Neo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:24 pm

j88 wrote:
Barbie wrote:I wonder if we are going to get a package in the mail from Miami....

Yeah it would be nice to get a little more information than the acceptance screen and what now link since I don't feel like either really said anything.

+1!

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Nope. You get an email/status checker update and thats it. I too was disappointed when I didnt have something tanglible to hug.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:32 pm

gdane5 wrote:

Nope. You get an email/status checker update and thats it. I too was disappointed when I didnt have something tanglible to hug.

Even scholarship info, etc? Its all online? I feel like thats not very trustworthy. I don't even fully trust an acceptance via status checker until its in my hands :(

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Barbie wrote:
gdane5 wrote:

Even scholarship info, etc? Its all online? I feel like thats not very trustworthy. I don't even fully trust an acceptance via status checker until its in my hands :(

That I cant answer because I withdrew well before scholarship information was sent out.

Correction: I just texted my friend and she told me that she got a big white envelope full of scholarship information in late Febrauray. So, keep an eye out for that.

bigred87

Postby bigred87 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:33 pm

2011Cycle wrote:
Barbie wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:Latest (2009) University of Miami Placement Statistics

--LinkRemoved--

Dayum. Looks good on paper. I wonder how many are forced to work in something besides law?

Looks like 30% in what most would could "market" compensation positions law firm positions-- not bad for University of Miami. With 80% of the students landing initially in the South Atlantic, the 30% number is not that bad.

I am a current UM law student, and I do not know where they come up with these statistics. Honestly, from my point of view and all of us here at the school who can't land a summer job with a firm or those who are 3Ls and graduating at the top of their class and struggling to get in with small firms paying $70k, these numbers lie. I'm sorry, but I bought into these stats before I came to UM. Job prospects are not good coming from UM. It is going to be (for you) and has been (for us) really really dim. I'm going to post a response I wrote on another thread about attending Miami or a higher ranked school:

...but as a current Univ of Miami law student, I would warn you as much as I can to stay away. First, Univ. of Miami isn't ranked as well, but don't think it'll be easier to rank in the top of your class--it won't. It's still quite competitive, and it's law school (plus UM has a really really tough curve). I am a 2L at U of Miami in the top 1% of the class, law review, ivy league grad, and had the opportunity to transfer to a top 14 and stayed in Miami for the money--big mistake. None of us have been able to find jobs for the summer, let alone get interviews. And of course, the economy is bad, but if you're looking to stay in South Florida, the job market is already really small, and is as tight as ever---firms down here are taking like 1-2 summers, and often, the small number of firms that there are don't even take students from down here. If you graduate from here, it will be hard to get a job anywhere else (I interviewed at many firms all over the country this year, and employers all but laughed at UM and asked why I didn't transfer--not joking). I lucked out and landed a summer associate position for next summer on teh west coast, by sheer luck and right time/place, but most people I know cannot even find an internship. To make a long story short--if you definitely know you want to stay in florida/miami for a very long time, and don't want to have a good shot at big law firm job, stay away from Miami. They lure people in with propaganda and distortions. Go with the better ranked school that will take your further in the long run. Miami may be good if you want to work in government (in Florida, that is, or public interest).

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:46 pm

bigred87 wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
Barbie wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:Latest (2009) University of Miami Placement Statistics

--LinkRemoved--

Dayum. Looks good on paper. I wonder how many are forced to work in something besides law?

Looks like 30% in what most would could "market" compensation positions law firm positions-- not bad for University of Miami. With 80% of the students landing initially in the South Atlantic, the 30% number is not that bad.

I am a current UM law student, and I do not know where they come up with these statistics. Honestly, from my point of view and all of us here at the school who can't land a summer job with a firm or those who are 3Ls and graduating at the top of their class and struggling to get in with small firms paying $70k, these numbers lie. I'm sorry, but I bought into these stats before I came to UM. Job prospects are not good coming from UM. It is going to be (for you) and has been (for us) really really dim. I'm going to post a response I wrote on another thread about attending Miami or a higher ranked school:

...but as a current Univ of Miami law student, I would warn you as much as I can to stay away. First, Univ. of Miami isn't ranked as well, but don't think it'll be easier to rank in the top of your class--it won't. It's still quite competitive, and it's law school (plus UM has a really really tough curve). I am a 2L at U of Miami in the top 1% of the class, law review, ivy league grad, and had the opportunity to transfer to a top 14 and stayed in Miami for the money--big mistake. None of us have been able to find jobs for the summer, let alone get interviews. And of course, the economy is bad, but if you're looking to stay in South Florida, the job market is already really small, and is as tight as ever---firms down here are taking like 1-2 summers, and often, the small number of firms that there are don't even take students from down here. If you graduate from here, it will be hard to get a job anywhere else (I interviewed at many firms all over the country this year, and employers all but laughed at UM and asked why I didn't transfer--not joking). I lucked out and landed a summer associate position for next summer on teh west coast, by sheer luck and right time/place, but most people I know cannot even find an internship. To make a long story short--if you definitely know you want to stay in florida/miami for a very long time, and don't want to have a good shot at big law firm job, stay away from Miami. They lure people in with propaganda and distortions. Go with the better ranked school that will take your further in the long run. Miami may be good if you want to work in government (in Florida, that is, or public interest).

I won't repeat my comment to this post in the other thread.. but I know a few Miami 3Ls... and one recent grad. All of them are doing GREAT. The recent grad has an amazing job he loves (not in Miami). The sob stories surely seem to outshine the success stories, but everyone I know IRL is well off. But I agree, there is no amount of scholarship money that would EVER keep me at Miami over a t14. lol.

bigred87

Postby bigred87 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:54 pm

I also happent to be doing great--despite U of M's lack of any meaningful assistance and the fact that going here has actually hurt my prospects, in my opinion. I finally landed a good job through a hookup/connection that I was able to establish. Sheer luck in my opinion...problem is that for everyone one person that lands a job, 40 people on law review don't have one. Again, it's just what KIND of job you're looking for. Public interest, government stuff is fine. Small firms too. UM has some good programs here for that kind of stuff. But big firms that pay the big bucks, definitely not. Where was your comment to this post on the other thread?

If you guys don;'t appreciate hearing this, I'm sorry---it's jsut I had people telling me wonderful things as well, and when you finally get here, you wonder where those stories came from? I wish I had someone giving it to me straight up before coming to Miami.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:09 pm

To you current UM Law students:

There's a good chance I'll be at Miami for law school (pending generosity at UF and FSU). Do you feel so strongly against the school that you recommend something out of state instead? I fully intend on practicing in south Florida. :?:

S.flalaw

Postby S.flalaw » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:50 pm

I am 1981 graduate of Columbia Law School. I have worked in Miami since 1984. U. Miami is the dominant feeder school for almost all law firms in Miami. This is very easy to check. Just go on the website of any major Miami law firm and count the number of associates and partners who are UM graduates.

My son is in the process of applying to law school and asked me to read some of the posted comments. Yes I know that I am an old guy and know nothing about the current practice of law in Miami or anywhere else. But for what it is worth let me give you a little advice. No one ever asks me where I went to law school. The reason is simple - it doesn't matter. Perhaps going to Columbia will help you get a better paying job at first but after a few years almost all of you will not be at that firm anyway. What will matter then is how good a lawyer you are, not how good your law school was.

Relax, the t14 schools can not possibly provide enough lawyers for all the interesting and worthwhile legal work out there. It is not how you start out that matters, but the quality of practice you will enjoy 10, 20, and 30 years from now. Good luck and do not listen to the negative individuals that unfortunately troll this website. One thing I can tell you for sure, it is lawyers like me that make hiring decisions on recent and future graduates like you and I would not hire any of them.

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:57 pm

S.flalaw wrote:I am 1981 graduate of Columbia Law School. I have worked in Miami since 1984. U. Miami is the dominant feeder school for almost all law firms in Miami. This is very easy to check. Just go on the website of any major Miami law firm and count the number of associates and partners who are UM graduates.

My son is in the process of applying to law school and asked me to read some of the posted comments. Yes I know that I am an old guy and know nothing about the current practice of law in Miami or anywhere else. But for what it is worth let me give you a little advice. No one ever asks me where I went to law school. The reason is simple - it doesn't matter. Perhaps going to Columbia will help you get a better paying job at first but after a few years almost all of you will not be at that firm anyway. What will matter then is how good a lawyer you are, not how good your law school was.

Relax, the t14 schools can not possibly provide enough lawyers for all the interesting and worthwhile legal work out there. It is not how you start out that matters, but the quality of practice you will enjoy 10, 20, and 30 years from now. Good luck and do not listen to the negative individuals that unfortunately troll this website. One thing I can tell you for sure, it is lawyers like me that make hiring decisions on recent and future graduates like you and I would not hire any of them.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write a bit! It's not often we get contributions from lawyers who have been practicing for a long time. If you don't mind taking questions, I'm wondering what the hiring practices have been like at your firm, or if you know about south FL or even FL in general, these last couple of years?

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:00 pm

S.flalaw wrote:I am 1981 graduate of Columbia Law School. I have worked in Miami since 1984. U. Miami is the dominant feeder school for almost all law firms in Miami. This is very easy to check. Just go on the website of any major Miami law firm and count the number of associates and partners who are UM graduates.

Thank you for this. It's definitely nice to read something positive about Miami. I love the city, and I loved going here for undergrad. I'd love to find some reasons to go here for Law school, too. And this helps. Scholarship would help a lot also!

tas817

Postby tas817 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:21 pm

bigred87

Postby bigred87 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:39 pm

tas817 wrote:From Miami and looked what s.flalaw said about firms. These are just first firms that came up.

http://www.gtlaw.com/People/SearchResul ... fice=@5215

http://www.bergersingerman.com/attorney ... &x=15&y=11

http://www.whitecase.com/Attorneys/List ... 20of%20law

Yes, this is true. Add to that Weil Gotshal, Bilzin Sumberg, McDermott Will and Emery and Shook Hardy and Bacon. We interviewed with most if not all of them this year. Problem is they take summer classes of 1 (yes some literally take one) and the biggest one, GT, takes three...this year, 2 are non UM students. In total, maybe 3-4 people (including myself) get these jobs, out of a 1L class of 4-500.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:02 am

I like how Miami sends out all emails around 2:16 A.M. haha. Anyone else notice this?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:11 am

alicrimson wrote:I like how Miami sends out all emails around 2:16 A.M. haha. Anyone else notice this?

I didn't get one :(

gov

Postby gov » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:21 am

Barbie wrote:
alicrimson wrote:I like how Miami sends out all emails around 2:16 A.M. haha. Anyone else notice this?

She had said that she just submitted, so I assume it was her CaneID email. Any idea when they might send out the next batch of acceptances? I am getting antsy...

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:58 am

govorett wrote:
Barbie wrote:

She had said that she just submitted, so I assume it was her CaneID email. Any idea when they might send out the next batch of acceptances? I am getting antsy...

That is correct, gavorett. Tulane, Miami, William and Mary, and UNC were the last law schools on the alicrimson application list. Haha. Not because I would not love acceptance to these schools, but rather because I did not have to pay the application fee and, for a few, would not have applied if I had to. Or because they required personalized school specific essays. :D

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:06 pm

I just logged back onto myUM to register for my last semester of undergrad classes. While doing so I noticed they added a spot at the top with the following:

* What's Next For Law School Admissions
* Pay First Law School Seat Deposit
* Pay Entire School Seat Deposit
* View Admissions Decision Letter

So at least they added the important stuff so we can get back to it.

brupe

Postby brupe » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Just submitted my app. :? Applied last year, was denied with a 3.7 and 146. Now I have 3.7 and 151, still :? Hoping for a very gracious admissions committee. I applied to 5 other places, so I'm living on a prayer hardcore.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:53 pm

brupe wrote:Just submitted my app. :? Applied last year, was denied with a 3.7 and 146. Now I have 3.7 and 151, still :? Hoping for a very gracious admissions committee. I applied to 5 other places, so I'm living on a prayer hardcore.

Best of luck to you!

brupe

Postby brupe » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks, I really really it. :cry:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”