U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Neo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:27 pm

overyourhead wrote:For those of you who are in, when did you submit your app??

I'm worried. Numbers-wise I am fine, but I haven't received anything. But I also didn't submit my app until October 29th, and up until Wednesday my app was on hold because they were waiting on my second LOR, which they now have.



If you submitted on October 29th and you were on hold for a rec letter, they didn't review your application yet. It's only the November 5th...I applied very early. They just didn't review your file yet, I am sure you will be notified when the next batch of decisions are made. Best of luck!

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:Got the email this morning and like some others couldn't get back to my letter after reading it! Thank you for posting up the link!


No problem. Although I'm not sure why they don't leave a link to it somewhere on myUM. Oh well. I'd imagine that link will continue to work. Just incase, I took a screen capture of it and saved it as .jpg.

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Neo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:43 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Mpeterson4 wrote:Got the email this morning and like some others couldn't get back to my letter after reading it! Thank you for posting up the link!


No problem. Although I'm not sure why they don't leave a link to it somewhere on myUM. Oh well. I'd imagine that link will continue to work. Just incase, I took a screen capture of it and saved it as .jpg.




How do you do that?????

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Neo wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
Mpeterson4 wrote:Got the email this morning and like some others couldn't get back to my letter after reading it! Thank you for posting up the link!


No problem. Although I'm not sure why they don't leave a link to it somewhere on myUM. Oh well. I'd imagine that link will continue to work. Just incase, I took a screen capture of it and saved it as .jpg.




How do you do that?????


Do you have a Mac or PC? On a Mac, just search for the program "Grab" .. You can use that to take a picture of the entire screen, a specific window, or a specific selection. If you have a PC, I don't remember exactly, but I think you just press the print screen button.. then you should be able to paste it onto Paint or something and save it from there.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby 2011Cycle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:09 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Neo wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
Mpeterson4 wrote:Got the email this morning and like some others couldn't get back to my letter after reading it! Thank you for posting up the link!


No problem. Although I'm not sure why they don't leave a link to it somewhere on myUM. Oh well. I'd imagine that link will continue to work. Just incase, I took a screen capture of it and saved it as .jpg.




How do you do that?????


Do you have a Mac or PC? On a Mac, just search for the program "Grab" .. You can use that to take a picture of the entire screen, a specific window, or a specific selection. If you have a PC, I don't remember exactly, but I think you just press the print screen button.. then you should be able to paste it onto Paint or something and save it from there.


Is the link you posted still working? I've tried it several times, without success.

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:31 pm

2011Cycle wrote:
Is the link you posted still working? I've tried it several times, without success.


Yes, still working for me.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby 2011Cycle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:40 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
Is the link you posted still working? I've tried it several times, without success.


Yes, still working for me.


Thanks. I tried it again. Will check later.

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:42 pm

2011Cycle wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
Is the link you posted still working? I've tried it several times, without success.


Yes, still working for me.


Thanks. I tried it again. Will check later.


Have you already seen the acceptance page or gotten the email saying there's been a update in your status? Otherwise I don't think it'll work.

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Neo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:01 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Neo wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
Mpeterson4 wrote:Got the email this morning and like some others couldn't get back to my letter after reading it! Thank you for posting up the link!


No problem. Although I'm not sure why they don't leave a link to it somewhere on myUM. Oh well. I'd imagine that link will continue to work. Just incase, I took a screen capture of it and saved it as .jpg.




How do you do that?????


Do you have a Mac or PC? On a Mac, just search for the program "Grab" .. You can use that to take a picture of the entire screen, a specific window, or a specific selection. If you have a PC, I don't remember exactly, but I think you just press the print screen button.. then you should be able to paste it onto Paint or something and save it from there.




Thanks! But I have a PC and I have done the print screen thing and pasted it to word. But the other guy said he made it into a JPEG picture which I figured would have better quality...I don't know how to do that. Does anyone else know how to?

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Neo wrote:
Thanks! But I have a PC and I have done the print screen thing and pasted it to word. But the other guy said he made it into a JPEG picture which I figured would have better quality...I don't know how to do that. Does anyone else know how to?


Oh.. I used photoshop to save it as a jpg. I'm sure just about any photo editing program can do that.

EDIT: I assume everyone's letter is the same. If you want me to send you the picture (JPG or PNG) just PM me.

Lexyeva
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:41 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Lexyeva » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:55 pm

I am ready to submit my application to Miami but I want to include an LOR that has not yet been sent to LSAC (so probably another 2 weeks before it is fully processed). I would still be able to submit the app without it because I have another LOR and one Evaluation, however, I think this other LOR would strengthen my app. Does anyone know if I can go ahead and submit and let them know I am expecting another LOR? I want to get my app in early because Miami is a top choice and I see people are already getting acceptances! Does anyone know anything about doing something like this? Thanks!

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Neo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Lexyeva wrote:I am ready to submit my application to Miami but I want to include an LOR that has not yet been sent to LSAC (so probably another 2 weeks before it is fully processed). I would still be able to submit the app without it because I have another LOR and one Evaluation, however, I think this other LOR would strengthen my app. Does anyone know if I can go ahead and submit and let them know I am expecting another LOR? I want to get my app in early because Miami is a top choice and I see people are already getting acceptances! Does anyone know anything about doing something like this? Thanks!



Lexyeva,

You should go ahead and submit your application. Before you push submit on LSAC attach the letter via their recommendation page (like you did with the LOR that has already been submitted and processed). You can attach a letter to your application even if LSAC has not received/processed it as long as you have already printed out the ID sheet for your letter writer. Once you have attached the letter, submit your application. LSAC will forward your letter to the school as soon as it becomes available. I hope this helps and best of luck!

Lexyeva
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:41 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Lexyeva » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Neo wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:I am ready to submit my application to Miami but I want to include an LOR that has not yet been sent to LSAC (so probably another 2 weeks before it is fully processed). I would still be able to submit the app without it because I have another LOR and one Evaluation, however, I think this other LOR would strengthen my app. Does anyone know if I can go ahead and submit and let them know I am expecting another LOR? I want to get my app in early because Miami is a top choice and I see people are already getting acceptances! Does anyone know anything about doing something like this? Thanks!



Lexyeva,

You should go ahead and submit your application. Before you push submit on LSAC attach the letter via their recommendation page (like you did with the LOR that has already been submitted and processed). You can attach a letter to your application even if LSAC has not received/processed it as long as you have already printed out the ID sheet for your letter writer. Once you have attached the letter, submit your application. LSAC will forward your letter to the school as soon as it becomes available. I hope this helps and best of luck!


Thanks! Do you know if the application will be placed on hold or will they go ahead and review it and then look at it again once the letter is received?

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Neo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:23 pm

Lexyeva wrote:
Neo wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:I am ready to submit my application to Miami but I want to include an LOR that has not yet been sent to LSAC (so probably another 2 weeks before it is fully processed). I would still be able to submit the app without it because I have another LOR and one Evaluation, however, I think this other LOR would strengthen my app. Does anyone know if I can go ahead and submit and let them know I am expecting another LOR? I want to get my app in early because Miami is a top choice and I see people are already getting acceptances! Does anyone know anything about doing something like this? Thanks!



Lexyeva,

You should go ahead and submit your application. Before you push submit on LSAC attach the letter via their recommendation page (like you did with the LOR that has already been submitted and processed). You can attach a letter to your application even if LSAC has not received/processed it as long as you have already printed out the ID sheet for your letter writer. Once you have attached the letter, submit your application. LSAC will forward your letter to the school as soon as it becomes available. I hope this helps and best of luck!


Thanks! Do you know if the application will be placed on hold or will they go ahead and review it and then look at it again once the letter is received?




I am not sure as every school is different, it could go either way. I think the best way to find out that information specifically for Miami is to call them and ask. Sorry I can't be more helpful :(

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby alicrimson » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:30 pm

Finally, finally, finally submitted this morning. It was my last app to go in and , surprisingly [though very pleasantly], I had a CRS fee waiver. I don't remember getting anything about this but I'm sure glad I did. Haha. I had already budgeted $72 for the app fee. Guess that money gets to be applied to something important shoes.<3

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby 2011Cycle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:48 am

Latest (2009) University of Miami Placement Statistics

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:51 am

2011Cycle wrote:Latest (2009) University of Miami Placement Statistics

--LinkRemoved--


Dayum. Looks good on paper. I wonder how many are forced to work in something besides law?

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby 2011Cycle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:57 am

Barbie wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:Latest (2009) University of Miami Placement Statistics

--LinkRemoved--


Dayum. Looks good on paper. I wonder how many are forced to work in something besides law?


Looks like 30% in what most would could "market" compensation positions law firm positions-- not bad for University of Miami. With 80% of the students landing initially in the South Atlantic, the 30% number is not that bad.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:59 am

2011Cycle wrote:
Barbie wrote:Dayum. Looks good on paper. I wonder how many are forced to work in something besides law?


Looks like 30% in what most would could "market" compensation positions law firm positions-- not bad for University of Miami. With 80% of the students landing initially in the South Atlantic, the 30% number is not that bad.


I am so confused b ythe bolded sentence hah

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby 2011Cycle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:02 am

Barbie wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
Barbie wrote:Dayum. Looks good on paper. I wonder how many are forced to work in something besides law?


Looks like 30% in what most would could "market" compensation positions law firm positions-- not bad for University of Miami. With 80% of the students landing initially in the South Atlantic, the 30% number is not that bad.


I am so confused b ythe bolded sentence hah

42% of the private practice jobs were in firms with 101 or more attorneys. 42% of the 69.5% in private practice equates to approximately 30% of the graduating class. Many view the 101+ attorney shops as those who pay 'big-law' compensation.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:19 am

2011Cycle wrote:
Barbie wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
Barbie wrote:Dayum. Looks good on paper. I wonder how many are forced to work in something besides law?


Looks like 30% in what most would could "market" compensation positions law firm positions-- not bad for University of Miami. With 80% of the students landing initially in the South Atlantic, the 30% number is not that bad.


I am so confused b ythe bolded sentence hah

42% of the private practice jobs were in firms with 101 or more attorneys. 42% of the 69.5% in private practice equates to approximately 30% of the graduating class. Many view the 101+ attorney shops as those who pay 'big-law' compensation.


Ah gotcha. Didn't get the wording of the first time. Thats pretty good. I wonder how that compares to UF and FSU... hmmm!!!

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:28 am

Barbie wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:42% of the private practice jobs were in firms with 101 or more attorneys. 42% of the 69.5% in private practice equates to approximately 30% of the graduating class. Many view the 101+ attorney shops as those who pay 'big-law' compensation.


Ah gotcha. Didn't get the wording of the first time. Thats pretty good. I wonder how that compares to UF and FSU... hmmm!!!


Just a heads up.. you guys are severely misinterpreting those stats. Those stats mean 30% of survey respondents are in those jobs, not 30% of the graduating class. No school has a 100% response rate and schools in UMiami range dont even get close. In addition, at the bottom it states only 35% of the graduating class(not sure if this is 35% of respondents or actual graduates) reported salaries with median salary reported being 90k. Even if we assume that is 35% of class then the median only represents ~17.5% of graduates. Its hard to make direct comparisons between schools without survey response rates. Use this site for better comparisons: --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby 2011Cycle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:09 am

tkgrrett wrote:
Barbie wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:42% of the private practice jobs were in firms with 101 or more attorneys. 42% of the 69.5% in private practice equates to approximately 30% of the graduating class. Many view the 101+ attorney shops as those who pay 'big-law' compensation.


Ah gotcha. Didn't get the wording of the first time. Thats pretty good. I wonder how that compares to UF and FSU... hmmm!!!


Just a heads up.. you guys are severely misinterpreting those stats. Those stats mean 30% of survey respondents are in those jobs, not 30% of the graduating class. No school has a 100% response rate and schools in UMiami range dont even get close. In addition, at the bottom it states only 35% of the graduating class(not sure if this is 35% of respondents or actual graduates) reported salaries with median salary reported being 90k. Even if we assume that is 35% of class then the median only represents ~17.5% of graduates. Its hard to make direct comparisons between schools without survey response rates. Use this site for better comparisons: --LinkRemoved--


In response to your observation, I put a call into Miami to confirm the overall response rate. The initial individual I spoke with was unable to answer the question. Once I receive a final answer, I will post their response.

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:21 am

I know a couple of lawyers that graduated from Miami several years ago.. they're doing pretty ok for themselves. Nice houses, nice cars, wives don't work.. I know these guys only represent a small sample.. but still, I don't think they regret their decision to go to Miami.

EDIT: Just want to add that I'm not saying everyone that goes to UM will be successful.. Just saying I've seen real life examples of it..

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:44 am

SixStrings11 wrote:I know a couple of lawyers that graduated from Miami several years ago.. they're doing pretty ok for themselves. Nice houses, nice cars, wives don't work.. I know these guys only represent a small sample.. but still, I don't think they regret their decision to go to Miami.

EDIT: Just want to add that I'm not saying everyone that goes to UM will be successful.. Just saying I've seen real life examples of it..


Well, I also know someone who graduated from COOLEY doing well, and a ton of people who graduated from Stetson (Tampa private T3 law school) doing very, very well. I worked for a firm with Stetson grads and just interviewed with the biggest firm in Tampa who also has Stetson grads. I still wouldn't specifically recommend someone go there...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Aquinas, ashrice13, Baby Gaga, carasrook, chili_davis, ChodeAnalBead, masterz, Nickel94, okf731, spookyg_g_ghost, swoonster and 41 guests