U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fdr123

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby fdr123 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 pm

im n waitlist already and now the wailtlist form is gne and it says
View Admissions Documents Needed

You can track your documents received at the LSAC website. The LSAC website is http://www.LSAC.org

i dont know what this means. does yours say the same when you click?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:20 am

LOL, I got rejected after being on hold in November then waitlisted ? Wow, ok. I thought I would be in at Miami. All I have to say is fuck you Miami. I don't even care. Check your retarded system and email applicants a decision or send it by mail instead of telling them to check their cane ID.

RAB

Postby RAB » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:32 am

Same for me...I had a feeling that was coming.

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:21 am

RAB and Jay - Do either of you mind sharing numbers?

I'm curious what's going on with the WL; to those that had their MyUM change yesterday, did anyone else see any changes?

Mine didn't change yesterday, and still lists me as an alternate today.

always206

Postby always206 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:13 pm

REJECTED

starlaw89

Postby starlaw89 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:34 am

I am a current wait list candidate as well.

What link were you all referring to that would be able to help me predict my outcome of being accepted?

Any other wait-lists get accepted in the last few days? What did your MyUM look like?

Intraining

Postby Intraining » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Does anyone know how strong miami's connections are to the NYC market? I've heard that they aren't too shabby, or maybe that was because tons of students matriculated to south Florida from NY...

morganrmco14

Postby morganrmco14 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:22 pm

So people who were waitlisted got rejected after being waitlisted?

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:42 pm

morganrmco14 wrote:So people who were waitlisted got rejected after being waitlisted?

I was put on hold, then waitlisted, then rejected.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Mine was even stranger. I went to a law school thing in houston and the miami desk told me I was an auto admit because of my LSAT. They then convinced me to apply for a scholarship which was time consuming. I sent a couple emails to them that were never returned in early Dec. I was complete in Dec, Held in January, then I got an email today saying to check my Cane ID. The message there was "you application has been withdrawn per your request." Hahah I was like really??? I called them and they didn't seem to be able to string together a coherent sentence at first, then said I was withdrawn from the waitlist. I was never even notified I was on a waitlist, plus the message said that I withdrew myself.

They started transferring me around to different people so I just hung up.

Go canes.

morganrmco14

Postby morganrmco14 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:39 pm

are there other people who were waitlisted and haven't seen any activity on their cane id since?

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:05 am

I can't believe they are already kicking people off the waitlist before the second depoist deadline. A lot of people must have put down a depoist april 15th that's crazy.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 am

Ive been on waitlist since march 25, no word yet. still stuck

nyk4life

Postby nyk4life » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Withdrawing today. Hope one of you gets my spot!

nathan.

Postby nathan. » Tue May 03, 2011 11:58 am

does anyone know the prospects for 1L summer at Miami?

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Still WL with no movement.

I've deposited at my top choice though; UM would have to do some crazy $ offer to even make me consider changing my mind now. (Which, I know is highly unlikely considering I'm WL, but I'm just curious now to see what happens.)

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 pm

Iceman389 wrote:I can't believe they are already kicking people off the waitlist before the second depoist deadline. A lot of people must have put down a depoist april 15th that's crazy.

yeah, and falsely accusing them of withdrawing themselves. oh, and like, never telling them they were on a waitlist in the firstplace...

yeah sorry, still shocked at UM

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:25 pm

LawBound11 wrote:Still WL with no movement.

I've deposited at my top choice though; UM would have to do some crazy $ offer to even make me consider changing my mind now. (Which, I know is highly unlikely considering I'm WL, but I'm just curious now to see what happens.)

Stetson = UM for 90% of applicants. You said before you fit in better at Stetson, so you should be done with your cycle.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu May 05, 2011 4:47 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Iceman389 wrote:I can't believe they are already kicking people off the waitlist before the second depoist deadline. A lot of people must have put down a depoist april 15th that's crazy.

yeah, and falsely accusing them of withdrawing themselves. oh, and like, never telling them they were on a waitlist in the firstplace...

That's pretty awful. I honestly did not like the people working in the admissions office. Rude as can be.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:50 pm

risktaker wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

That's pretty awful. I honestly did not like the people working in the admissions office. Rude as can be.

It is too bad, because UM may have great professors and good programs. They really need to clean house on their admissions staff though. That is the tip of the spear and its all bent and rusty ATM

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:18 pm

1L here, fresh off of exams. I suppose that makes me a 2L now? :) Now that I have my life back, I instantly could remember the frustration of this time of year, so I thought I'd stop by the boards and offer to answer any questions people might have about Miami. Feel free to shoot me a message and I'd be happy to answer anything I can!

Good luck!

Also, to answer the job prospects question: I have a judicial internship this summer, my 1L summer. All of my friends have jobs.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:49 pm

hatteras1 wrote:1L here, fresh off of exams. I suppose that makes me a 2L now? :) Now that I have my life back, I instantly could remember the frustration of this time of year, so I thought I'd stop by the boards and offer to answer any questions people might have about Miami. Feel free to shoot me a message and I'd be happy to answer anything I can!

Good luck!

Also, to answer the job prospects question: I have a judicial internship this summer, my 1L summer. All of my friends have jobs.

First things first - 1) Thank you for your time, 2) Congrats on completing 1L, and 3) Congrats on your internship

Now that that's out of the way...

I'm an undergrad at Miami currently and accepted at Miami Law. I'm waitlisted at FSU and UF (I'm a Florida resident), but will likely be removing myself from those waitlists if I don't hear anything by June 1 (second seat deposit due for Miami). If you don't mind me asking, are you, or are any of your friends, attending at sticker price? Is that financial suicide if I'm already in debt from UM undergrad?
I also want to mention that I'm strongly considering a government job after law school.. not sure how much that helps with loan forbearance..

Thanks again for your time.

nathan.

Postby nathan. » Tue May 10, 2011 4:27 pm

how big was your section size/was it harder with such a large class? also is it true they don't let you use electronic databases for the first couple months?

FromDaU

Postby FromDaU » Wed May 11, 2011 8:30 am

Thank you for your time. On the subject of Textbooks and course materials....how expensive was your first year? Where is the best/cheapest place to purchase them? Thank you.

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Hello! I'll answer all the questions in one post. I answered the financial question via PM, so if you have a similar question, feel free to PM me.

My section was about 100 students, I believe. It seemed large at first, but honestly, after the first few weeks, it seems tiny. You get to know each other so well, you're with each other so much. I felt as though I was still getting just as much personal attention as I would in a class with a smaller section size. You definitely don't get lost in the numbers, you still have a very good chance of being cold-called each class. :)

It's true, no Westlaw or Lexis for the first few months. That's pretty common at most schools-- at least that's what I've heard. It isn't that horrible, by the time you write your final major memorandum for LComm you'll have access. You just have some assignments at the beginning that require some good old-fashioned book research, but it's graded pass/fail through the library for your LComm class. It's not so bad. Other than that, you won't find yourself needing Westlaw or Lexis for those first few months.

As for textbooks, I didn't go over $500 my first semester, and I believe upwards of $600, maybe $700 this past semester. But don't quote me on that. For some reason I can't remember this past semester's exact figures, pretty sad, eh? Then you factor in any supplements you might want to buy, which are usually about $40 a piece if you're going for E&E, or any of the Emmanuel's. There is a book store across from the UM campus on Route 1, it's called Book Horizons, most people buy books there or online. Book Horizons is really easy-- you go there, tell them your section, and they have the books ready for you in less than a minute. They also have cheaper used books for sale, which I purchased a few times to save some money. I'd suggest Book Horizons for the first semester, mainly because they don't tell you what books you need until about two days before classes start. But, from my experience, it doesn't set you back too badly. But online is an option for second semester, as well as Book Horizons. (You can find your necessary books well in advance of semester #2).

Hope those are helpful! Let me know if you have any more! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”