U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Philosopher1

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Philosopher1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:07 am

maizerage20 wrote:I can't stand to sit here and read this anymore. There are all such massive misconceptions. I am currently a 1L at Miami and for those who need to know I'm not just some disgruntled student, I am in the top 30% of the class.

First off, whoever is writing about how great Miami is and how cool South Beach is and all that jazz, let me remind you you're not going to have time to just go and hang out at the beach. This is not a vacation.

Second, yes, Miami is a nice place to visit when you're here for a week, but when you live here, you better be ready for something you've never before experienced. MOST of Miami isn't some fun resort city, it's more like a third world country. I believe the latest census data was 97% Latin population for the county. Yes, 97%. Your cab drivers will rarely speak English, your grocer won't have a word what you're saying, and god forbid you need directions. Unless you are Latin, you are the minority and English is most definitely not the 1st language.

Third, all this talk about Sobe is good and great, but unless you're ready to drop about $200-$300 a night, you're not going there too often!

Finally, Miami is the most artificial place I've ever been. Everyone here would rather drive a BMW and live in a shithole then live in a decent house and not be living paycheck to paycheck. And they are the WORST drivers in the world. I'm serious. And more than half of them don't even have insurance (probably because more than half of them aren't legally here!).

The school itself is pretty nice, but really? 56% employment prospects? And about half of the class is from Miami so unless you are too, you're going to have a semi-difficult time making good friends because they already have all their own. Dean White seems like a good lady, but there is something to be said about dropping 17 spots in the rankings...SEVENTEEN SPOTS. Classes are huge 90+ and a vast majority of your internship options are externships where you're not only not getting paid but spending a couple thousand instead. Throw extreme caution to the wind before coming here and make sure you do your research...for the price, I would have to think many of you could find much better alternatives.

I'd like to have your opinion, maizer, and this would purely be what you feel is best for a career. You wrote that "I would have to think many of you could find much better alternatives." My alternative is Loyola University Chicago School of Law for 12k a yr. Miami is a possibility, at sticker, though with a chance to earn a scholarship for the next 2 yrs on merit. But that is my "alternative," as of now, pending schools I am waiting to hear back from. Where do you think it's wisest to choose and why?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:10 am

What are the conditions of the merit scholarships for 2L and 3L that you speak of?

ChiCubs14

Postby ChiCubs14 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:09 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:What are the conditions of the merit scholarships for 2L and 3L that you speak of?

When I spoke to a financial aid person during Law Day she told me that there are scholarships offered to 2L and 3L students based upon; need, and merit....

As far as the conditions for obtaining/maintaining the scholarships she didn't go into much detail...

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 am

ChiCubs14 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:What are the conditions of the merit scholarships for 2L and 3L that you speak of?

When I spoke to a financial aid person during Law Day she told me that there are scholarships offered to 2L and 3L students based upon; need, and merit....

As far as the conditions for obtaining/maintaining the scholarships she didn't go into much detail...

Correct. It leaves me concerned that you can do well to no financial avail. Updatee Now I'm back to leaning toward Loyola and hometown chicago. 29.8% acceptance rate I feel special. . .

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:51 am

Screw it, I'm in. Someone has to go to Miami, right? I can afford the cost, so at least I'm saving someone else from the burden of taking out loans. At the end of the day its better than being in Newark on a daily basis and trying to crack NYC, and despite how much I love SMU, their part-time program is unbelievably restrictive.

On a positive note, I genuinely have always wanted to live in Florida. Hopefully the market picks up a bit for 2L. In any case, I'll be giving it my absolute all, because median is a game I don't want to play.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 am

Justathought wrote:Screw it, I'm in. Someone has to go to Miami, right? I can afford the cost, so at least I'm saving someone else from the burden of taking out loans. At the end of the day its better than being in Newark on a daily basis and trying to crack NYC, and despite how much I love SMU, their part-time program is unbelievably restrictive.

On a positive note, I genuinely have always wanted to live in Florida. Hopefully the market picks up a bit for 2L. In any case, I'll be giving it my absolute all, because median is a game I don't want to play.

Congrats on your decision. I'm trying to figure out if I should leave chicago for miami.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 am

Philosopher1 wrote:
Justathought wrote:Screw it, I'm in. Someone has to go to Miami, right? I can afford the cost, so at least I'm saving someone else from the burden of taking out loans. At the end of the day its better than being in Newark on a daily basis and trying to crack NYC, and despite how much I love SMU, their part-time program is unbelievably restrictive.

Congrats on your decision. I'm trying to figure out if I should leave chicago for miami.

You know Philosopher, I commented a long time ago in your Chicago schools thread. I actually got into all 3 of the Chicago tier 2 schools too. I was thinking of Kent, because they offered decent money, but since Chicago is ultimately more saturated than NYC, I decided Rutgers would probably be a better fit. Especially since I'm not from the area, like you. Still, Rutgers was just not for me. The school seems very public interest oriented, and despite a reasonable cost, if I couldn't get a job in NYC I don't think I would be happy practicing in NJ.

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:29 am

Screw it, I'm in too. :)

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:37 am

i<3ny wrote:

Nice, I have a classmate now!

Edit: Oh and you're from NY too. Very cool. I imagine there will be a ton more NYers down there, its like a second home to many in our region.

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Justathought wrote:
i<3ny wrote:

Edit: Oh and you're from NY too. Very cool. I imagine there will be a ton more NYers down there, its like a second home to many in our region.

I think so too.

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:54 pm

Justathought wrote:
i<3ny wrote:

Barring something crazy happening this weekend as I do my last round of tours of schools, I should be joining you guys as well. New Jersey here.

nodummy

Postby nodummy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Iceman389 wrote:
Justathought wrote:
i<3ny wrote:

Barring something crazy happening this weekend as I do my last round of tours of schools, I should be joining you guys as well. New Jersey here.

You guys paying sticker? I'm on the verge but the price is pretty scary.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm close to saying screw it I'M IN. I'm visiting Loyola chi april 9 and we'll see how I feel. Heart of chicago might be a better idea dk still

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:29 pm

They kindly rejected my request for scholarship money. Withdrawing today -- hopefully one of you waiting gets my spot!

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:31 pm

I withdrew today as well. Hope one of you well deserving TLS'ers get the spot.

snakebones

Postby snakebones » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Justathought wrote:
i<3ny wrote:

count me as another New Yorker that's in

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm loving all the New Yorker that will in MIA!

PeterD2189

Postby PeterD2189 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:28 pm

i plan on applying to Miami Law for the Fall. i am taking the LSAT(first time test taker) in June, what are my chances on getting accepted taking the LSAT in June, or do you think im going to have to wait till next fall to get admission?

PeterD2189

Postby PeterD2189 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:29 pm

i am also a new yorker trying to go to the University of Miami lol :D

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:30 pm

PeterD2189 wrote:i plan on applying to Miami Law for the Fall. i am taking the LSAT(first time test taker) in June, what are my chances on getting accepted taking the LSAT in June, or do you think im going to have to wait till next fall to get admission?

Hey Peter,

I'm almost 100% sure you would have to wait till Fall of 2012 for entry. I assume they have an admissions deadline, which very likely already passed, but I don't think you would get your score back in time anyway.

However, applying early with a June LSAT will help your chances for Miami, and almost all other schools too. Good Luck.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:32 pm

nodummy wrote:You guys paying sticker? I'm on the verge but the price is pretty scary.

Looks like sticker for me, but I'm a 30 year old student. I've been pretty successful in my previous career, and can front the whole...ungodly...awful...bill.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:54 pm

Justathought wrote:
nodummy wrote:You guys paying sticker? I'm on the verge but the price is pretty scary.

Looks like sticker for me, but I'm a 30 year old student. I've been pretty successful in my previous career, and can front the whole...ungodly...awful...bill.

Can you cover me too? :)

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:09 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Can you cover me too? :)

lol I wish, In fact, I'm actually thinking of selling my car. My brother wants to buy it from me, and I could use the extra cash. I was thinking I would just take his civic as part of the deal and roll with that in South Beach. 8)

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:12 pm

Justathought, what is your stance on retaking? Have you taken a prep class? The little bit of money spent on that could pay HUGE dividends in the form of a scholarship.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:18 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Justathought, what is your stance on retaking? Have you taken a prep class? The little bit of money spent on that could pay HUGE dividends in the form of a scholarship.

I've considered it. However, I'm older as you know, and I gave up my business. I was president of a mid sized construction company in NY which my grandparents started a long time ago. I hated the work, so my brother is now in charge of the show. I have literally nothing to do these days. Plus, a 164 should have gotten me some cash. Sure, I could retake and pray for a 170+, ED to NW and hope they overlook the horrid 2.4 GPA, but its a big gamble with my time, and statistics do not favor me on that front. I get the feeling with my GPA, its basically NW or bust. Maybe WUSTL or IUB, but I'm not enthralled with either of those options. The rest of the T30 is basically out of the equation, my GPA is a killer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”