U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jordyb

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby jordyb » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Anyone applying to the James Weldon Johnson Robert H. Waters Summer Institute? Has anyone attended this in the past or know of anyone who has? Was it worth it?

Shawn1724

Postby Shawn1724 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:04 am

Officially withdrawn after FSU acceptance. I hope someone here gets my spot.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:26 am

I don't like the 56.1% employment at graduation. Hmmm

always206

Postby always206 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:30 am

Shawn1724 wrote:Officially withdrawn after FSU acceptance. I hope someone here gets my spot.

Me too! Hopefully they will start to pull applicants off of the wait-list...

nodummy

Postby nodummy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 am

jordyb wrote:Anyone applying to the James Weldon Johnson Robert H. Waters Summer Institute? Has anyone attended this in the past or know of anyone who has? Was it worth it?

Yeah, I'm applying. Really don't feel too inspired by these essay prompts. Are you writing the full 5-page suggestion for each?

jordyb

Postby jordyb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:31 pm

nodummy wrote:
jordyb wrote:Anyone applying to the James Weldon Johnson Robert H. Waters Summer Institute? Has anyone attended this in the past or know of anyone who has? Was it worth it?

Yeah, I'm applying. Really don't feel too inspired by these essay prompts. Are you writing the full 5-page suggestion for each?

About 3 pages...I feel like most of the info is provided in our application, seems a little redundant. I just hope this fellowship is worth my time since I am currently working

nodummy

Postby nodummy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:49 pm

jordyb wrote:
nodummy wrote:

About 3 pages...I feel like most of the info is provided in our application, seems a little redundant. I just hope this fellowship is worth my time since I am currently working

I take it you're committed to UM? Are you receiving any type of scholarship?

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Justathought wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
BSJ921 wrote:Anyone attend? How was ASD/Housing Tour?

I went to the ASD, but not the housing tour. Met a couple other TLSers there. It was a pretty good time overall.
The Dean spoke, and I think she said all the right things. Afterwards there was a mock lecture with two of the professors that was really interested. We were talking about a court case with three guys stranded on a boat, that killed and ate a fourth guy.
After the lecture there was a panel of current students taking questions. I'm sure they get some of their best students to take part, but they all seemed to be doing well and spoke highly of the school.
My favorite part of the Law Day was the lunch.. They had an alumni sitting at each table talking to us. Then they all went up and said when they graduated and what they're doing now. Once again I'm sure they make sure to get some of their best to participate.. but all of them were doing very well for themselves, and most had just graduated a few years ago.

I think the day made me feel a little better about the school. As I said, I know they probably make sure only their better students/alumni participate, but I spoke to a couple of them and made some good connections. If I end up at UM, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world.

Oh, the Dean also addressed a question about the rankings. She pretty much said the same thing she wrote in the letter that was posted earlier... about the LLM and joint-degree students counting as unemployed. But she seemed to understand the concern about it and said she'd work on it to make sure they jump back up next year. She also threw in the top 20 "Super Lawyer" ranking, and said they were ranked highly in the law firms rank schools listing.. don't remember the exact number though.

Yea.. I guess that's it..

Could you go into a little more detail about career prospects? For example, any mention of the state of the Florida legal market? Any talk of recovery and such? Any mention of OCI? Did you hear about networking opportunities?

Edit: I understand much of this may not have been addressed in detail, but if you could provide a little more insight it would be great. Thanks so much.

As for as what my take was on career prospects, networking opportunities and the such is this. The Dean started off her speech to the students with the state of the legal market and how ITE legal jobs are much harder to come by then they were 5-10 years ago and that the school had this relization in the forefront of their minds as they try to bring the school forward in the future. The administration and students touted the career development office for its ability to help students make themselves as presentable and desirable as possible for employers but there was definitely an underlying aspect to it that pretty much said to me that in order to get a job that students were expected to reach out on their own and getting networking themselves as soon as possible. As for the networking opportunities, the large alumni base and how spread out that base is around the country was mentioned a multitude of times from the people I talked to. From one of the alumni that I talked to that has friends in either public defenders offices or state attorney offices, there are a lot of Miami alums in these places and that they are quite loyal to UM students. The only mention of OCI that I picked up on was that 100+ employers came last year, no other details other than that. From what I gathered, the underlying message was that if students work hard in school, establish a solid network and don't just rely solely on the Career development office (I heard great things about it, but not to except it to get you a job if you don't put any serious effort or work into the search yourself) and are committed to S. Florida for at least 2-3 years after graduation if not more, then getting a job should not be a problem. Miami recognizes that its students can't rely on the degree name to get a job alone, but they believe that due to its strong and loyal alumni base and its relative hold on the S. Florida market, that students have ample opportunity to network and use the connections they gain to procure employment (or at least that was what their selling point was).

jordyb

Postby jordyb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:23 pm

jordyb wrote:
nodummy wrote:

I got 15K a year....I am still not decided on the fellowship since making extra money those few months might work out better

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:44 pm

I spoke with Stotzky today. The entire program seems like a complete waste of time honestly, and the admission criteria is incredibly vague.

It seems to me like it's just one of the many ways that UMiami is trying to attract the applicants with higher numbers that were accepted to higher ranked schools. They basically bring you to Miami for an all inclusive stay at the school so they can get their hooks on you. That's why the application asks specifically to which other schools you have been accepted.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Iceman389 wrote:
Justathought wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
BSJ921 wrote:Anyone attend? How was ASD/Housing Tour?

I went to the ASD, but not the housing tour. Met a couple other TLSers there. It was a pretty good time overall.
The Dean spoke, and I think she said all the right things. Afterwards there was a mock lecture with two of the professors that was really interested. We were talking about a court case with three guys stranded on a boat, that killed and ate a fourth guy.
After the lecture there was a panel of current students taking questions. I'm sure they get some of their best students to take part, but they all seemed to be doing well and spoke highly of the school.
My favorite part of the Law Day was the lunch.. They had an alumni sitting at each table talking to us. Then they all went up and said when they graduated and what they're doing now. Once again I'm sure they make sure to get some of their best to participate.. but all of them were doing very well for themselves, and most had just graduated a few years ago.

I think the day made me feel a little better about the school. As I said, I know they probably make sure only their better students/alumni participate, but I spoke to a couple of them and made some good connections. If I end up at UM, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world.

Oh, the Dean also addressed a question about the rankings. She pretty much said the same thing she wrote in the letter that was posted earlier... about the LLM and joint-degree students counting as unemployed. But she seemed to understand the concern about it and said she'd work on it to make sure they jump back up next year. She also threw in the top 20 "Super Lawyer" ranking, and said they were ranked highly in the law firms rank schools listing.. don't remember the exact number though.

Yea.. I guess that's it..

Could you go into a little more detail about career prospects? For example, any mention of the state of the Florida legal market? Any talk of recovery and such? Any mention of OCI? Did you hear about networking opportunities?

Edit: I understand much of this may not have been addressed in detail, but if you could provide a little more insight it would be great. Thanks so much.

As for as what my take was on career prospects, networking opportunities and the such is this. The Dean started off her speech to the students with the state of the legal market and how ITE legal jobs are much harder to come by then they were 5-10 years ago and that the school had this relization in the forefront of their minds as they try to bring the school forward in the future. The administration and students touted the career development office for its ability to help students make themselves as presentable and desirable as possible for employers but there was definitely an underlying aspect to it that pretty much said to me that in order to get a job that students were expected to reach out on their own and getting networking themselves as soon as possible. As for the networking opportunities, the large alumni base and how spread out that base is around the country was mentioned a multitude of times from the people I talked to. From one of the alumni that I talked to that has friends in either public defenders offices or state attorney offices, there are a lot of Miami alums in these places and that they are quite loyal to UM students. The only mention of OCI that I picked up on was that 100+ employers came last year, no other details other than that. From what I gathered, the underlying message was that if students work hard in school, establish a solid network and don't just rely solely on the Career development office (I heard great things about it, but not to except it to get you a job if you don't put any serious effort or work into the search yourself) and are committed to S. Florida for at least 2-3 years after graduation if not more, then getting a job should not be a problem. Miami recognizes that its students can't rely on the degree name to get a job alone, but they believe that due to its strong and loyal alumni base and its relative hold on the S. Florida market, that students have ample opportunity to network and use the connections they gain to procure employment (or at least that was what their selling point was).

I was there, and I like the way Iceman389 put this. Law school is risky. Miami gives you a fine shot in South FL, though there is definitely a chance that it doesn't workout. I'm trying to decide if I should turn down Loyola-Chicago's offer and just enjoy life in Miami while doing well in school and doing the best I can. U Miami Law and Miami in general are sooooo tempting. Good-bye Chicago? Thoughts?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 pm

The weather is great.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:01 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:The weather is great.

That new avatar has done wonders for your Miami pessimism. I know Miami is expensive and meh with job prospects, but I've always wanted to live in South Florida; I'm about 80% on going there. I just don't think my other options provide such a significant advantage, and I prefer the quality of life down there.

Except of course for SMU, but its part time, and that's a major pain in the neck for me.
Last edited by Justathought on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Quality of life is great and there is no other area I'd rather live. There are far worse places to have a regional degree. If you are set on south Florida (and I totally am down with that) and can go to UM for under ~90k, it's a lot more appealing than many other options, especially within the T2.

See? I can be fair!

maizerage20

Postby maizerage20 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:14 pm

I can't stand to sit here and read this anymore. There are all such massive misconceptions. I am currently a 1L at Miami and for those who need to know I'm not just some disgruntled student, I am in the top 30% of the class.

First off, whoever is writing about how great Miami is and how cool South Beach is and all that jazz, let me remind you you're not going to have time to just go and hang out at the beach. This is not a vacation.

Second, yes, Miami is a nice place to visit when you're here for a week, but when you live here, you better be ready for something you've never before experienced. MOST of Miami isn't some fun resort city, it's more like a third world country. I believe the latest census data was 97% Latin population for the county. Yes, 97%. Your cab drivers will rarely speak English, your grocer won't have a word what you're saying, and god forbid you need directions. Unless you are Latin, you are the minority and English is most definitely not the 1st language.

Third, all this talk about Sobe is good and great, but unless you're ready to drop about $200-$300 a night, you're not going there too often!

Finally, Miami is the most artificial place I've ever been. Everyone here would rather drive a BMW and live in a shithole then live in a decent house and not be living paycheck to paycheck. And they are the WORST drivers in the world. I'm serious. And more than half of them don't even have insurance (probably because more than half of them aren't legally here!).

The school itself is pretty nice, but really? 56% employment prospects? And about half of the class is from Miami so unless you are too, you're going to have a semi-difficult time making good friends because they already have all their own. Dean White seems like a good lady, but there is something to be said about dropping 17 spots in the rankings...SEVENTEEN SPOTS. Classes are huge 90+ and a vast majority of your internship options are externships where you're not only not getting paid but spending a couple thousand instead. Throw extreme caution to the wind before coming here and make sure you do your research...for the price, I would have to think many of you could find much better alternatives.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:24 pm

I thought they didn't rank the students until second year. How do you know you are in the top 30 if you are only a 1L?

I may be mistaken so correct me if I'm wrong...

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:27 pm

maizerage20 wrote:I can't stand to sit here and read this anymore. There are all such massive misconceptions. I am currently a 1L at Miami and for those who need to know I'm not just some disgruntled student, I am in the top 30% of the class.

First off, whoever is writing about how great Miami is and how cool South Beach is and all that jazz, let me remind you you're not going to have time to just go and hang out at the beach. This is not a vacation.

Second, yes, Miami is a nice place to visit when you're here for a week, but when you live here, you better be ready for something you've never before experienced. MOST of Miami isn't some fun resort city, it's more like a third world country. I believe the latest census data was 97% Latin population for the county. Yes, 97%. Your cab drivers will rarely speak English, your grocer won't have a word what you're saying, and god forbid you need directions. Unless you are Latin, you are the minority and English is most definitely not the 1st language.

Third, all this talk about Sobe is good and great, but unless you're ready to drop about $200-$300 a night, you're not going there too often!

Finally, Miami is the most artificial place I've ever been. Everyone here would rather drive a BMW and live in a shithole then live in a decent house and not be living paycheck to paycheck. And they are the WORST drivers in the world. I'm serious. And more than half of them don't even have insurance (probably because more than half of them aren't legally here!).

The school itself is pretty nice, but really? 56% employment prospects? And about half of the class is from Miami so unless you are too, you're going to have a semi-difficult time making good friends because they already have all their own. Dean White seems like a good lady, but there is something to be said about dropping 17 spots in the rankings...SEVENTEEN SPOTS. Classes are huge 90+ and a vast majority of your internship options are externships where you're not only not getting paid but spending a couple thousand instead. Throw extreme caution to the wind before coming here and make sure you do your research...for the price, I would have to think many of you could find much better alternatives.

I'm quite happy to have a current UM student here. You should monitor this thread, a lot of us do have frequent questions. I mean for me, it comes down to Rutgers, Brooklyn, Miami, Kent or SMU-PT. I don't envision too much time relaxing on the beach, but I love warm weather and would prefer to build a career in Miami. I've heard Miami does well in South Florida, given a normal economy - which I understand is not the case these days. In fact, let me ask you a question right now - How's the market down there? Any sign of recovery? I read a NY times article talking about investors betting on Miami real estate this week. Took it as a positive sign.

P.S. I'm Hispanic and drive a BMW. Two strikes against me in your book? :P Kidding.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 pm

maizerage20, thanks for your contribution. But could you talk specifically about your experience at miami law? Maybe some anecdotes you can share in your experience as a 1L @Miami?

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Justathought wrote: I don't envision too much time relaxing on the beach, but I love warm weather and would prefer to build a career in Miami.

It was 87 and humid today. Like, really humid. It was like walking around in a sauna.

Miami isnt "warm", its hot. Blazing hot. Uncomfortably hot. For like 8 months out of the year. Think about that.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:32 pm

gdane wrote:
Justathought wrote: I don't envision too much time relaxing on the beach, but I love warm weather and would prefer to build a career in Miami.

It was 87 and humid today. Like, really humid. It was like walking around in a sauna.

Miami isnt "warm", its hot. Blazing hot. Uncomfortably hot. For like 8 months out of the year. Think about that.

Seriously, I love hot and humid. Love it. I am cold at 70 degrees. I live in NY, this means I'm cold 9 months out of the year.

This is not the way to get me turned off of Miami. Talk to me about terrible career prospects.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Justathought wrote:This is not the way to get me turned off of Miami. Talk to me about terrible career prospects.

Go to Miami and youll end up like these guys:

--ImageRemoved--

Doing PI/DUI work and advertising on bus benches in Hialeah.

maizerage20

Postby maizerage20 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Justathought wrote:
maizerage20 wrote:I can't stand to sit here and read this anymore. There are all such massive misconceptions. I am currently a 1L at Miami and for those who need to know I'm not just some disgruntled student, I am in the top 30% of the class.

I'm quite happy to have a current UM student here. You should monitor this thread, a lot of us do have frequent questions. I mean for me, it comes down to Rutgers, Brooklyn, Miami, Kent or SMU-PT. I don't envision too much time relaxing on the beach, but I love warm weather and would prefer to build a career in Miami. I've heard Miami does well in South Florida, given a normal economy - which I understand is not the case these days. In fact, let me ask you a question right now - How's the market down there? Any sign of recovery? I read a NY times article talking about investors betting on Miami real estate this week. Took it as a positive sign.

P.S. I'm Hispanic and drive a BMW. Two strikes against me in your book? :P Kidding.

Haha no no. Don't get that misconstrued. It's just a big culture shock. Look, the biggest thing everyone here needs to understand (and something I probly didn't take into consideration as much as I should have) is you need to go to school where you want to work. That is such a huge issue that needs to be considered, especially given the market. If you really think you want to live in Miami and start your career here, then this may be the place for you. However, if you're making the decision based on weather, south beach, the ridiculous promises the recruitment office trys to make about you being able to move with your degree, then to put it bluntly you're an idiot.

Remember, for everyone who went to ASD, they're not going to always tell you what you NEED to hear, they'll tell you what you WANT. This is a private school, hence, no state funding. They NEED your money. I'm skeptical to say that the market is picking up. As you can see on the new stats 56% unemployment = not good. MOST students (meaning probably anyone not in the top 20-30%) is going to have to wait a long time to find the job they want. While Ms. White was correct in saying that those unemployment stats include people continuing their education with an LLM...don't you suppose there is a reason they're pursuing their LLM and not a job? Like maybe the fact they couldn't get one!? :wink:

maizerage20

Postby maizerage20 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:43 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:I thought they didn't rank the students until second year. How do you know you are in the top 30 if you are only a 1L?

I may be mistaken so correct me if I'm wrong...

You are correct. I am ball parking based on last year's statistics (which have held true to form for the past few years!) And they rank you after you get your Spring semester grades at end of 1L.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Hmm.. My four years at Miami undergrad have been great. Obviously all of Miami isn't South Beach. In fact, I've only been to South Beach a handful of times.. And most of the time it was just Lincoln Road, which isn't really South Beach at all.

There are some places you can go where it's not going to be all that nice. But you'll find areas like that all around the country. If you drive through the backstreets of Coral Gables.. specifically those right around the University of Miami, you'll find amazing houses that you just stare at and think to yourself, "One day I'll own one or two of those..." ... jokingly, of course, because if you're like me you'll actually be thinking about the massive amount of loans you need to pay off.

I agree with the point about the cars. BMWs, Ferraris, Audis, etc.. they're everywhere. I feel destitute driving around in my Toyota. But I just see that as motivation for my higher education.

I'm not making these points to argue that Miami is the ideal place to live.. nor am I arguing that Miami is the ideal law school to attend. I'm just arguing that there are different perspectives to what you'll be seeing if you decide to spend three years here for law school. Miami has two worlds. There's the rich and famous world that you hear about on TV, and there's the large spanish-only population that makes you feel like you've left the United States temporarily. Personally, I love the diversity and everything around here. If it wasn't so damn expensive my mind would have been made up long ago.. Unfortunately I have to sit and here and wait for cheaper in-state possibilities to hopefully land in my lap.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:54 pm

At the end of the day its a tough choice for me. I could go to SMU, but part time, which means I'd likely be forced to work in an effort to make my resume stand out, which means my grades would stink and/or I would have zero time to myself. I could go to Rutgers, and be close to family and friends, but be forced into the hellhole which is Newark everyday and likely end up with a career in public interest. I could go to Brooklyn at sticker, but why not just go to Newark for half the price? I could go to Kent, but its far from friends and family, and also colder than NY. Oh yeah, it has worse prospects than Rutgers and Brooklyn too. I'm at a loss...

I also have some other similarly crappy options. Seton Hall, St. John's, DePaul, Loyola, American -PT, Quinnipiac, Michigan State, and perhaps more. I've honestly forgotten at this point. Name a crappy option, I probably have it.

Also some wait lists: Cardozo, Loyola-LA, Iowa, W&M, and Richmond. Not too hopeful I'll get in to any of them, though Richmond all but promised I would in their letter today. :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”