U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
legaljargon

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby legaljargon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:48 am

fiupike24 wrote:Understood. However, does the school give ADDITIONAL need-base aid, aside from the FEDERAL Government (FAFSA),

OR

is that the need-base aid the school is refering to (fafsa)

As per second paragraph in the link:

"Students who have financial need (as determined by the FAFSA), dedication to Public Interest, high academic accomplishments, and demonstrated leadership in law school will be considered for a new or additional scholarship by completing a single Scholarship Application."

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Just emailed admissions about not attending ASD. Anyone still waiting to RSVP should contact them. It seems like they should have some spaces opening up.

Also, is anyone else surprised by the overall lameness/lack of communication with admissions? I'm referring to typos in mass emails, little communication after acceptance, etc. Is it just me? I went to the U for undergrad, so I'm not hating. But I feel like the quality of the communication is lower than at other schools I've been dealing with. Am I being overly critical?

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:44 pm

Lili305 wrote:Just emailed admissions about not attending ASD. Anyone still waiting to RSVP should contact them. It seems like they should have some spaces opening up.

Also, is anyone else surprised by the overall lameness/lack of communication with admissions? I'm referring to typos in mass emails, little communication after acceptance, etc. Is it just me? I went to the U for undergrad, so I'm not hating. But I feel like the quality of the communication is lower than at other schools I've been dealing with. Am I being overly critical?

Headed east toward the ocean on hallandale blvd. (My dad's driving.) This is a change from chicago. By the way, regarding communication. . . I 100% agree. It's surprising. Ok hollywood beach time and admitted student day tomorrow!

nathan.

Postby nathan. » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:49 pm

anyone else's flight to miami get canceled? this sucks.

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Philosopher1 wrote:
Lili305 wrote:Just emailed admissions about not attending ASD. Anyone still waiting to RSVP should contact them. It seems like they should have some spaces opening up.

Headed east toward the ocean on hallandale blvd. (My dad's driving.) This is a change from chicago. By the way, regarding communication. . . I 100% agree. It's surprising. Ok hollywood beach time and admitted student day tomorrow!

If you get the chance drive into Miami Beach on either 195 or 395. You don't even have to go anywhere. Just drive in and turn around. I live off of 395. Stunning. That's what makes it so hard to leave. :cry:

Mpeterson4

Postby Mpeterson4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:14 pm

I agree, adding to it that I have emailed people in the admissions office with questions and not received answers, where as some other schools immediately respond with email or phone call

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:34 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:

I agree, adding to it that I have emailed people in the admissions office with questions and not received answers, where as some other schools immediately respond with email or phone call

Yes! That's exactly what I mean. Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. It's a shame. They're so good for undergrad, but this has me thinking twice about attending for law school.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Lilo, I saw you got into UF, congrats! Which school are you leaning towards?

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Intraining wrote:Are the 24k scholarships binding? I'm going to be riding a couple of hold's, late deadlines, waitlists...I have no problem dropping coin on a deposit, just want to keep my options open.

I'm wondering the same thing. Did you happen to find the answer?

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:49 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Lilo, I saw you got into UF, congrats! Which school are you leaning towards?

Thanks! I'm really not sure. The scholly at FSU makes the decision really hard. I'm probably withdrawing from UM soon. I'm just really turned off lately. :cry:

But I really have no clue. I'm waiting for UF's ASD to make a decision. Worst care scenario I'll just have to lose the FSU seat deposit, I guess.

You?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:52 pm

FSU's scholarship is probably too good to turn down, along with it being basically the same thing as UF and a nice campus. Undergrad prestige is the only thing drawing me to UF; it's a terribly shallow and stupid reason, but one I can't seem to escape. Employment stats are relatively the same, and that's what matters, right?

BSJ921

Postby BSJ921 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:14 pm

My flight was cancelled. I'll be visiting next Friday.

trayball23

Postby trayball23 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:05 pm

anyone hear anything back on non merit aid from Miami?

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:30 pm

trayball23 wrote:anyone hear anything back on non merit aid from Miami?

I got my need-based info already. Go your MyUM and then student section then there should be a link for financial aid. You can also see what documents they have or haven't received. I'll be the asd tomorrow. Looking forward to the program and seeing the facilities.

always206

Postby always206 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:07 pm

If you get bored, then you can watch live webcams via your status checker! Haha!

http://www6.miami.edu/communications/ne ... embed.html

http://www.med.miami.edu/campus/webcams ... p?camnum=1

BSJ921

Postby BSJ921 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:03 am

If anyone else can't go tomorrow because of the MIA fire, and wants to maybe do a group tour or something next Friday so they can see campus before deposit deadline day, let me know

always206

Postby always206 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:33 pm

For all of those on the WL, do you think the fire, which subsequently will prevent fewer from attending the forum, will cause some who would have submitted a deposit from not doing so now? If so, let the fires keep coming!

I wonder when they will start to pull people off the WL. Do you think we will have to endure the whole "documents in review" thing again, or do you think it will just switch to accepted?

BSJ921

Postby BSJ921 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Anyone attend? How was ASD/Housing Tour?

Intraining

Postby Intraining » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Feeltheheat I wish i could trade my 24k at UM for your FSU cash

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:10 pm

BSJ921 wrote:Anyone attend? How was ASD/Housing Tour?

I went to the ASD, but not the housing tour. Met a couple other TLSers there. It was a pretty good time overall.
The Dean spoke, and I think she said all the right things. Afterwards there was a mock lecture with two of the professors that was really interested. We were talking about a court case with three guys stranded on a boat, that killed and ate a fourth guy.
After the lecture there was a panel of current students taking questions. I'm sure they get some of their best students to take part, but they all seemed to be doing well and spoke highly of the school.
My favorite part of the Law Day was the lunch.. They had an alumni sitting at each table talking to us. Then they all went up and said when they graduated and what they're doing now. Once again I'm sure they make sure to get some of their best to participate.. but all of them were doing very well for themselves, and most had just graduated a few years ago.

I think the day made me feel a little better about the school. As I said, I know they probably make sure only their better students/alumni participate, but I spoke to a couple of them and made some good connections. If I end up at UM, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world.

Oh, the Dean also addressed a question about the rankings. She pretty much said the same thing she wrote in the letter that was posted earlier... about the LLM and joint-degree students counting as unemployed. But she seemed to understand the concern about it and said she'd work on it to make sure they jump back up next year. She also threw in the top 20 "Super Lawyer" ranking, and said they were ranked highly in the law firms rank schools listing.. don't remember the exact number though.

Yea.. I guess that's it..

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:16 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:

I went to the ASD, but not the housing tour. Met a couple other TLSers there. It was a pretty good time overall.
The Dean spoke, and I think she said all the right things. Afterwards there was a mock lecture with two of the professors that was really interested. We were talking about a court case with three guys stranded on a boat, that killed and ate a fourth guy.
After the lecture there was a panel of current students taking questions. I'm sure they get some of their best students to take part, but they all seemed to be doing well and spoke highly of the school.
My favorite part of the Law Day was the lunch.. They had an alumni sitting at each table talking to us. Then they all went up and said when they graduated and what they're doing now. Once again I'm sure they make sure to get some of their best to participate.. but all of them were doing very well for themselves, and most had just graduated a few years ago.

I think the day made me feel a little better about the school. As I said, I know they probably make sure only their better students/alumni participate, but I spoke to a couple of them and made some good connections. If I end up at UM, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world.

Oh, the Dean also addressed a question about the rankings. She pretty much said the same thing she wrote in the letter that was posted earlier... about the LLM and joint-degree students counting as unemployed. But she seemed to understand the concern about it and said she'd work on it to make sure they jump back up next year. She also threw in the top 20 "Super Lawyer" ranking, and said they were ranked highly in the law firms rank schools listing.. don't remember the exact number though.

Could you go into a little more detail about career prospects? For example, any mention of the state of the Florida legal market? Any talk of recovery and such? Any mention of OCI? Did you hear about networking opportunities?

Edit: I understand much of this may not have been addressed in detail, but if you could provide a little more insight it would be great. Thanks so much.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Justathought wrote:
Could you go into a little more detail about career prospects? For example, any mention of the state of the Florida legal market? Any talk of recovery and such? Any mention of OCI? Did you hear about networking opportunities?

Edit: I understand much of this may not have been addressed in detail, but if you could provide a little more insight it would be great. Thanks so much.

All of the alumni were hyping the school's Career Development office. They said after your first year someone will work with you to start getting resumes and cover letters out there.
But more specifically, I don't remember too much because all of them just gave one liners about where they went to undergrad, when they graduated, and where they're working now (there were a lot of them, so anything more than that would have taken forever..). A couple said they started out at big law, then went down to mid size firms after a few years. One guy said he's working in the White House under one of the environmental departments... No real mention of the market, but they definitely made it seem like jobs were out there for the people that put in the effort to find them.
Maybe some of the other guys that went can tell you what they remember though.. Most of my concerns were about Financial Aid, so that's mostly what I paid attention to..
What's OCI? I feel like I should know this, but it's not coming to me at the moment

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:54 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

All of the alumni were hyping the school's Career Development office. They said after your first year someone will work with you to start getting resumes and cover letters out there.
But more specifically, I don't remember too much because all of them just gave one liners about where they went to undergrad, when they graduated, and where they're working now (there were a lot of them, so anything more than that would have taken forever..). A couple said they started out at big law, then went down to mid size firms after a few years. One guy said he's working in the White House under one of the environmental departments... No real mention of the market, but they definitely made it seem like jobs were out there for the people that put in the effort to find them.
Maybe some of the other guys that went can tell you what they remember though.. Most of my concerns were about Financial Aid, so that's mostly what I paid attention to..
What's OCI? I feel like I should know this, but it's not coming to me at the moment

Thanks for the response. OCI is on campus interview. The big one takes place at the start of your 2L year, and its the way we all hope to secure employment. Sadly, even if you go to a top school, its far from a sure thing these days.

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:59 pm

Justathought wrote:Thanks for the response. OCI is on campus interview. The big one takes place at the start of your 2L year, and its the way we all hope to secure employment. Sadly, even if you go to a top school, its far from a sure thing these days.

Oh. No, no mention of that.

I'd also like to point out that Reince Priebus, head of the Republican National Committee and possible future Presidential candidate, is a UM Law alum. He was not at the Law Day, nor was he mentioned though.. lol

I only know this because I follow UM on twitter and they mentioned him

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:58 am

SixStrings11 wrote:

I was thoroughly impressed with The U's law school. I might just attend.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”