U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 pm

the general consensus is no, it is not worth it to attend miami @sticker. especially if you are out of state.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:40 pm

nyk4life wrote:Miami is one of the three schools so far to accept me, but would be the most expensive given they didn't offer, and judging by previous posts are out of money available (I emailed inquiring about schol. money and got the standard "we give them out to deserved applicants and we have already spent 14 million dollars" response). I still haven't ruled out Miami though because I am interested in sports law and they offer a course string in it. Not to mention it has somewhat of a reputation for sports law.

Are many of the people in this thread who are attending paying sticker? I'm stuck in that position where I want to keep potential debt low but also want to follow my gut. If I get into a few more schools I will probably rule them out, but I'd still like to know if anyone else is considering going at full price.


Yeah, I'm considering them at sticker, because I think I would truly be happy practicing in South Florida. Plus, my other options aren't amazing: SMU-PT, American-PT, Kent, St. John's, Seton Hall-PT, Stetson, Rutgers, DePaul, Quinnipiac, Michigan State, Brooklyn, Loyola Chicago, Suffolk, and Hofstra.

Still waiting on a few more schools, but I'm honestly not sure where to go at this point. I shouldn't have applied to the part time programs, I really don't want to attend part time, as I now think working while going to law school is near impossible if you intend on earning top grades. Some people can do it, but I'm not sure I could.

I'm really torn.

One major caveat though - I've in been the workforce for a few years, so I can fund my education without loans. Still not happy about dropping that kind of money.

Edited for some grammar failure.
Last edited by Justathought on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Justathought wrote:
nyk4life wrote:Miami is one of the three schools so far to accept me, but would be the most expensive given they didn't offer, and judging by previous posts are out of money available (I emailed inquiring about schol. money and got the standard "we give them out to deserved applicants and we have already spent 14 million dollars" response). I still haven't ruled out Miami though because I am interested in sports law and they offer a course string in it. Not to mention it has somewhat of a reputation for sports law.

Are many of the people in this thread who are attending paying sticker? I'm stuck in that position where I want to keep potential debt low but also want to follow my gut. If I get into a few more schools I will probably rule them out, but I'd still like to know if anyone else is considering going at full price.


Yeah, I'm considering them at sticker, because I think I would truly be happy practicing in South Florida. Plus, my other options aren't amazing: SMU-PT, American-PT, Kent, St. John's, Seton Hall-PT, Stetson, Rutgers, DePaul, Quinnipiac, Michigan State, Brooklyn, Loyola Chicago, Suffolk, and Hofstra.

Still waiting on a few more schools, but I'm honestly not sure where to go at this point. I shouldn't have applied to the part time programs, I really don't want to attend part time, as I now think working while going to law school is near impossible if you intend on earning top grades. Some people can do it, but I'm sure I could.

I'm really torn.

One major caveat though - I've been the workforce for a few years, so I can fund my education without loans. Still not happy about dropping that kind of money.


That is one huge caveat.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:55 pm

gothamm wrote:
That is one huge caveat.


Image

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 pm

It didn't receive any responses, but I found the read in this link interesting and enlightening. It is the sort of informed, statistical analysis I always search for instead of relying on name factor and prestige. I hope it helps some of you struggling to make a decision.

http://www.discourse.net/2010/12/do_our ... aking.html

Knowledge is power lol

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:57 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:It didn't receive any responses, but I found the read in this link interesting and enlightening.

http://www.discourse.net/2010/12/do_our ... aking.html

Knowledge is power lol


I read it. Interesting; Miami seems to match up well with the rest of my lackluster options.

matchesmalone
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby matchesmalone » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:31 am

Hi everyone, I'm a 1L at UM. This site helped me out a lot last year and I thought I'd give back. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. I'll try to check in every now and then.

legaljargon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby legaljargon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:52 am

flgator10 wrote:
always206 wrote:Dear Miami,

I am willing to pay you; unlike numerous applicants that withdrawal an offer, I will immediately place a seat deposit following admission.

Thank you for your time, please hurry up and pull people off the wait-list.


+1


+1

Although it sucks that scholarships are no longer offered after the first year. We will be paying for 3 years

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby gothamm » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:01 am

matchesmalone wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a 1L at UM. This site helped me out a lot last year and I thought I'd give back. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. I'll try to check in every now and then.


what are your impressions so far? could you tell us some things about the school that only an actual student may know?

legaljargon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby legaljargon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:35 am


User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Bless » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 am

I don't think I'm going to be attending ASD after all. It looks like I'm going to be withdrawing. I hope my spot goes to somebody hoping for Miami!

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 pm

matchesmalone wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a 1L at UM. This site helped me out a lot last year and I thought I'd give back. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. I'll try to check in every now and then.


Hey there, thanks for taking questions. I have a few.

Any noteworthy networking opportunities with Florida law firms so far?
Have you secured some type of work for 1L summer? If not, do you expect to?
Do you know how 2L students have fared in their search for summer associate positions? Have you heard anything about the quality of their OCI?
How's the social atmosphere on campus?
Is the wellness center busy early in the morning? I like to workout around 6am.


That's about it for now; once again, thanks for taking questions! :)

User avatar
Intraining
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Intraining » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Are the 24k scholarships binding? I'm going to be riding a couple of hold's, late deadlines, waitlists...I have no problem dropping coin on a deposit, just want to keep my options open.

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby drummerboy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Just withdrew from Miami today. Good luck to those still waiting.

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Justathought wrote:
matchesmalone wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a 1L at UM. This site helped me out a lot last year and I thought I'd give back. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. I'll try to check in every now and then.


Hey there, thanks for taking questions. I have a few.

Any noteworthy networking opportunities with Florida law firms so far?
Have you secured some type of work for 1L summer? If not, do you expect to?
Do you know how 2L students have fared in their search for summer associate positions? Have you heard anything about the quality of their OCI?
How's the social atmosphere on campus?
Is the wellness center busy early in the morning? I like to workout around 6am.


That's about it for now; once again, thanks for taking questions! :)


I'm an undergrad at UM, so I can answer some of those questions.

Social atmosphere on campus -
Depending on the time of day and where you go, the atmosphere on campus is great. Thursday nights at the Rat (sports bar located right by the law school) are usually really good. I'm pretty sure they even offer free drinks to the law students on certain days.. making it even better.
During the day you'll find a lot of people on the green (grassy area outside of the library). People will either just be lying in the grass tanning, sitting and studying, or throwing a frisbee around or something.
Overall everyone tends to be pretty friendly.

Wellness center in the morning -
I haven't been there early since they completely renovated the wellness center. But when I use to go at that time it wasn't all that packed. Definitely WAY less crowded than mid-day and nights.

I guess that's about all I can answer.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:17 pm

withdrawing today. Hope they redistribute my 30k scholly.

fiupike24
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby fiupike24 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Does anyone know if you dont get offered a scholarship your 1rst year and if after the first year you are at the top of the class do you qualify for any scholarships or do they only offer it to the law students coming in as a way to get you in, once your in your F*%KED

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 pm

fiupike24 wrote:Does anyone know if you dont get offered a scholarship your 1rst year and if after the first year you are at the top of the class do you qualify for any scholarships or do they only offer it to the law students coming in as a way to get you in, once your in your F*%KED


You can apply for scholarship as a continuing student. I asked that exact question to the Financial Aid office.

legaljargon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby legaljargon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:01 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
fiupike24 wrote:Does anyone know if you dont get offered a scholarship your 1rst year and if after the first year you are at the top of the class do you qualify for any scholarships or do they only offer it to the law students coming in as a way to get you in, once your in your F*%KED


You can apply for scholarship as a continuing student. I asked that exact question to the Financial Aid office.



I asked also. I was told scholarships are not awarded after the first year except in very outrageous cases.

streetlight
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby streetlight » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:10 pm

legaljargon wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
fiupike24 wrote:Does anyone know if you dont get offered a scholarship your 1rst year and if after the first year you are at the top of the class do you qualify for any scholarships or do they only offer it to the law students coming in as a way to get you in, once your in your F*%KED


You can apply for scholarship as a continuing student. I asked that exact question to the Financial Aid office.



I asked also. I was told scholarships are not awarded after the first year except in very outrageous cases.


That doesn't make sense. I was told on three separate occasions that scholarships are awarded after the first year.

fiupike24
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby fiupike24 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:20 pm

I seriously think they offer lots of scholarship money to the entering class (ENTERING CLASS=500+student) then when theres a shift in class rank many students lose their scholarship and that money gets awarded to the new entering class. I HATE private schools! It's seriously a business. IF you have a CHOICE do not go to UM! LMAO I am a bottom feeder so I will go to the best school that accepts me which right now I do not have many choices, but if you do I strongly recommend that you consider the finances. I am going next week for an on campus tour and to speak to an admissions officer, I will ask as many questions about scholarships and financial aid. and report my findings.

In addition, my parents are low-income, I recieve the maximum financial aid awarded by the state, I filled my FAFSA and it said the most I will recieve for grad school is 20,500 in loans that obviously does not cover the tuition for UM so I am going to inquire about what additional "need base" money do THEY give out, IF ANY.

$$$

legaljargon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby legaljargon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 pm

streetlight wrote:
legaljargon wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
fiupike24 wrote:Does anyone know if you dont get offered a scholarship your 1rst year and if after the first year you are at the top of the class do you qualify for any scholarships or do they only offer it to the law students coming in as a way to get you in, once your in your F*%KED


You can apply for scholarship as a continuing student. I asked that exact question to the Financial Aid office.



I asked also. I was told scholarships are not awarded after the first year except in very outrageous cases.


That doesn't make sense. I was told on three separate occasions that scholarships are awarded after the first year.


Correction: "new scholarships for 2L and 3L students who now, regardless of receiving a scholarship in their first year, can be considered for awards based on financial need (as determined by the FAFSA), dedication to Public Interest, high academic accomplishments, and demonstrated leadership in law school."

--LinkRemoved--

fiupike24
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby fiupike24 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 am

"Need Based - All applicants for Need Based Grants must complete the 2011 – 12 FAFSA."

that was from the link you posted, is this in addition to what fafsa offered me?

legaljargon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby legaljargon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:27 am

fiupike24 wrote:"Need Based - All applicants for Need Based Grants must complete the 2011 – 12 FAFSA."

that was from the link you posted, is this in addition to what fafsa offered me?


The link above is referring to 2L & 3L Scholarships & Grants

fiupike24
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby fiupike24 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:32 am

Understood. However, does the school give ADDITIONAL need-base aid, aside from the FEDERAL Government (FAFSA),

OR

is that the need-base aid the school is refering to (fafsa)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, AustinLu, bobomac2, BruiseWillis, dreamer_13, Google Adsense [Bot], jstans, jurisdoctor2020, monotonemr and 30 guests