U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gdane

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby gdane » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:46 am

You answered your own question though. If they're not accepting any more registrations because theyre full, don't just show up. I agree though that you should call the office in charge of this event to see if they can somehow accommodate you.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:40 am

As it stands now, admitted students can still register for Law day but you cant bring along any guests because of space limitations.

always206

Postby always206 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:23 am

When do you think they will give us wait-list applicants another shake?

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:24 am

always206 wrote:When do you think they will give us wait-list applicants another shake?

Hopefully sometime soon after the seat deposit is due on April 15th!

always206

Postby always206 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:43 am

flgator10 wrote:
always206 wrote:When do you think they will give us wait-list applicants another shake?

Hopefully sometime soon after the seat deposit is due on April 15th!

For whatever reason, I suspect an earlier decision. Tons of people withdrawal from Miami. This could potentially help those on the wait-list, at least I hope.

BSJ921

Postby BSJ921 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:20 am

Ha, soooo anyone excited for Friday? Seems like there's been a lot of Debbie Downer going on

Rivers711

Postby Rivers711 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:37 pm

BSJ921 wrote:Ha, soooo anyone excited for Friday? Seems like there's been a lot of Debbie Downer going on

I canceled my registration for law day. I decided instead to attend FSU's ASD which is on the same day. Depending on how that goes, I may very well be withdrawing from UM and opening up a spot for someone else.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:43 pm

BSJ921 wrote:Ha, soooo anyone excited for Friday? Seems like there's been a lot of Debbie Downer going on

The Miami thread is only for discussing future plans to break out of debtor's prison. You should know this! With that said, although I'm not going to law day, I'm still considering the school. I really do like S. Florida, and my other options aren't exactly world beaters. So its still in the mix. I think its a fine school, just expensive.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm curious to know if everyone else received an mail/email with an application for the Summer Fellowship in June.

The wording of the letter makes it seem like I was one of a few special people to be sent the application but somehow I doubt that's the case.

Is anyone else applying?

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:39 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:I'm curious to know if everyone else received an mail/email with an application for the Summer Fellowship in June.

The wording of the letter makes it seem like I was one of a few special people to be sent the application but somehow I doubt that's the case.

Is anyone else applying?

Got it too. Will be withdrawing. Saw the letter and thought I finally got an aid package. Guess not.

G1985J

Postby G1985J » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 am

Franco Columbu wrote:I'm curious to know if everyone else received an mail/email with an application for the Summer Fellowship in June.

Is anyone else applying?

I got this letter as well, must go out to a lot of people because I wouldn't classify myself as a unique candidate with pretty average numbers, white, 25. I'm from New Hampshire, so maybe it went out to people out of state.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:00 am

risktaker wrote:

Is anyone else applying?

Got it too. Will be withdrawing. Saw the letter and thought I finally got an aid package. Guess not.

I thought it might be aid too. I'm going to start some serious scholarship negotiations today. I believe, if I'm annoying enough, they might break. :P

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:37 am

Ive been waiting to hear back from them, i never got an email or anything about my caneID so i kept calling and calling, finally i got this once i got my caneID etc.

You have been selected as an alternate for admission to the University of Miami School of Law. We regret that the keen competition for seats in this fall's entering class makes it impossible for us to grant you admission at this time.

I signed up for the waitlist, but im worried i might have gotten this like 2 weeks ago or something and im only hearing about it now. What are my chances of getting in at this point? the seat deposit is in practically 3 weeks....

ChiCubs14

Postby ChiCubs14 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:43 am

So I know some people on TLS have withdrawn, and given up their money...

Has anyone heard about UM reallocating scholarships?

I just called and asked them about this; the lady pretty much told me that they give the scholarship "to the next qualified applicant."

Has anyone gotten anything?

valentina5

Postby valentina5 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:44 am

ChiCubs14 wrote:So I know some people on TLS have withdrawn, and given up their money...

Has anyone heard about UM reallocating scholarships?

I just called and asked them about this; the lady pretty much told me that they give the scholarship "to the next qualified applicant."

Has anyone gotten anything?

It's interesting that she said they give the scholarship to the next qualified applicant...during the admitted students chat a few weeks ago, financial aid said they always give out more money than they really have...so maybe she's misinformed...or maybe more ppl dropped than expected...

always206

Postby always206 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 am

Dear Miami,

I am willing to pay you; unlike numerous applicants that withdrawal an offer, I will immediately place a seat deposit following admission.

Thank you for your time, please hurry up and pull people off the wait-list.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:57 am

always206 wrote:Dear Miami,

I am willing to pay you; unlike numerous applicants that withdrawal an offer, I will immediately place a seat deposit following admission.

Thank you for your time, please hurry up and pull people off the wait-list.

+1

ericas386

Postby ericas386 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:38 pm

http://www.discourse.net/2010/12/do_our ... aking.html

interesting read I came across for people still considering Miami...

J21

Postby J21 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Does anyone know of any statistics that deal with how many people were admitted off of the waitlist last year at Miami? Thanks!

always206

Postby always206 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:23 pm

J21 wrote:Does anyone know of any statistics that deal with how many people were admitted off of the waitlist last year at Miami? Thanks!

I have no idea; however, I would love to know.

jdncu

Postby jdncu » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:48 pm

always206 wrote:
J21 wrote:Does anyone know of any statistics that deal with how many people were admitted off of the waitlist last year at Miami? Thanks!

I will likely be withdrawing next week, so that should open a spot up.

With that said, when I visited the school they told me that they admitted too many students in 2 out of the last 3/4 years and had to give people $5k public interest work stipends to defer for a year. So unless they were more careful with admissions this year, I suspect that they might not take anyone off the wait list. Not to discourage you, but I wanted to make you aware of this issue they have had in the recent past.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:52 pm

jdncu wrote:
always206 wrote:

With that said, when I visited the school they told me that they admitted too many students in 2 out of the last 3/4 years and had to give people $5k public interest work stipends to defer for a year. So unless they were more careful with admissions this year, I suspect that they might not take anyone off the wait list. Not to discourage you, but I wanted to make you aware of this issue they have had in the recent past.

Just curious, what did you think of the facilities and administration when you visited? I'm in NYC, and can't get down there for at least a few weeks.

This is an open question, if anyone else is interested in responding.

burnerclassic

Postby burnerclassic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Justathought wrote:
jdncu wrote:
always206 wrote:

Just curious, what did you think of the facilities and administration when you visited? I'm in NYC, and can't get down there for at least a few weeks.

This is an open question, if anyone else is interested in responding.

Simply put, the school is nice. I toured it at prospective students day, and while the law school structure looks a tad bit dated, the facilities are all great. That goes for just about all of UM's campus.

For the record, I did my undergrad at UM, just put my deposit down at UM law, and can attest to the absolute beauty of the campus all around. It's a really great environment. If you've never visited UM, I found this video on youtube which has some pretty good shots of the entire campus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE10IJ5M_64

The law school can be seen (briefly) at 2 minutes and 7 seconds into that video.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:20 pm

I got waitlisted today. applied late around feb 28, 2.95gpa 159 lsat....

chance me on getting off waitlist and in at UM? Its my top pick :(

nyk4life

Postby nyk4life » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Miami is one of the three schools so far to accept me, but would be the most expensive given they didn't offer, and judging by previous posts are out of money available (I emailed inquiring about schol. money and got the standard "we give them out to deserved applicants and we have already spent 14 million dollars" response). I still haven't ruled out Miami though because I am interested in sports law and they offer a course string in it. Not to mention it has somewhat of a reputation for sports law.

Are many of the people in this thread who are attending paying sticker? I'm stuck in that position where I want to keep potential debt low but also want to follow my gut. If I get into a few more schools I will probably rule them out, but I'd still like to know if anyone else is considering going at full price.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”