U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aclockworkapple
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby aclockworkapple » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:25 pm

I just got accepted to Miami and was wondering if the way to check and see if you have scholarship money is by logging in and clicking financial aid and then current awards or does Miami send that info via snail mail. It currently says that I have no current data available. I applied a couple weeks ago so I'm sure I'm SOL for money but just curious.

lretter
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:55 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby lretter » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:43 pm

waitlisted.. :( any suggestions for how to bump up in the list? I'm sending a LOCI and will visit the school next week to see if I can meet with the deans or whoever. Do you guys know if the adcomm does interviews or anything of the sort for those on a waitlist?

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:46 pm

aclockworkapple wrote:I just got accepted to Miami and was wondering if the way to check and see if you have scholarship money is by logging in and clicking financial aid and then current awards or does Miami send that info via snail mail. It currently says that I have no current data available. I applied a couple weeks ago so I'm sure I'm SOL for money but just curious.


I received a letter with an offer a few weeks after acceptance.

beachviolet11
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby beachviolet11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:56 pm

valentina5 wrote:
RaspberryBeret wrote:Withdrew today. I had a scholarship offer for 24k per year, so don't let them tell you they're out of money!


yea but financial aid said during one of their chat sessions w/admitted students that they award more money than they actually have cause they know not everyone awarded will attend...so they don't anticipate awarding those that haven't gotten money...i mean this could change depending on several factors...but just putting it out there what financial aid said...


With the drop in rankings they are going to get a larger number of withdraws than they expected...as much as it sucks rankings matter, esp when you are talking about such a huge drop and such low employment rates...but good news for those still in it is this will probably free up money they werent expecting. a lot of the scholarship people now have offers from much! higher ranked schools so its more likely they will withdraw. 10 rank spot difference is much easier to take with money than 30.

G1985J
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby G1985J » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm still on the fence about whether to attend or not, is anybody accepted planing on going to the law day thing next Friday?

User avatar
Franco Columbu
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Franco Columbu » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:36 pm

G1985J wrote:I'm still on the fence about whether to attend or not, is anybody accepted planing on going to the law day thing next Friday?


Same here, I'm on the fence also. I was hoping that if I attend Law Day it will motivate me and maybe help me forget how much debt I'm signing up for.

I got the email for law day, but the agenda for the days events is nowhere online. Anyone know where to find it?

snakebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby snakebones » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:
G1985J wrote:I'm still on the fence about whether to attend or not, is anybody accepted planing on going to the law day thing next Friday?


Same here, I'm on the fence also. I was hoping that if I attend Law Day it will motivate me and maybe help me forget how much debt I'm signing up for.

I got the email for law day, but the agenda for the days events is nowhere online. Anyone know where to find it?



--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby gothamm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Can anyone give me a reason as to why paying sticker at Miami is worth it?

I don't want to sound like the typical TLS doomsday "if not t14 then you are SOL" guy, but FL is not a large legal market coupled with the fact that miami only has a regional reach.

I am sure many of you are going to be paying sticker. Can someone provide me with a scenario where paying sticker would be worth it?

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:42 pm

gothamm wrote:Can anyone give me a reason as to why paying sticker at Miami is worth it?

I don't want to sound like the typical TLS doomsday "if not t14 then you are SOL" guy, but FL is not a large legal market coupled with the fact that miami only has a regional reach.

I am sure many of you are going to be paying sticker. Can someone provide me with a scenario where paying sticker would be worth it?


If you want to practice in Miami and can afford it. For example, I was accepted without a scholarship and can front the bill myself. However, the reason why I am against it, is because I don't want to be relegated to personal injury law and DUIs on south beach. Sure some people will do well out of Miami, but the odds for success aren't very appealing to me. So that's why I likely won't be going.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12387
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby gdane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:46 pm

It is NOT worth it. I live in Miami and the legal market down here is terrible. Biglaw is non existent, government jobs will be very difficult to come by (if there will even be any new hiring) because the governor is going to slash the state budget, unemployment is still high here, etc etc. There is a glut of lawyers down here as it is (many doing personal injury/shitlaw) and it just isnt wise to go to UMiami expecting to come away with a great job. If you can get a significant scholarship, go for it, otherwise stay away from Miami. Go to UF and youll be in a better position.

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Since I'm on campus anyway, and don't have Friday classes I suppose I'll attend the Law Day. I didn't get the email for it though. Does it say anything about dress code? And do we have to register beforehand?

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby gothamm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Justathought wrote:
gothamm wrote:Can anyone give me a reason as to why paying sticker at Miami is worth it?

I don't want to sound like the typical TLS doomsday "if not t14 then you are SOL" guy, but FL is not a large legal market coupled with the fact that miami only has a regional reach.

I am sure many of you are going to be paying sticker. Can someone provide me with a scenario where paying sticker would be worth it?


If you want to practice in Miami and can afford it. For example, I was accepted without a scholarship and can front the bill myself. However, the reason why I am against it, is because I don't want to be relegated to personal injury law and DUIs on south beach. Sure some people will do well out of Miami, but the odds for success aren't very appealing to me. So that's why I likely won't be going.


This is what I am thinking exactly. I am from California and loved the thought of spending 3+ years in miami. I am sure I would adapt quickly. but alas..

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby gothamm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm

gdane wrote:It is NOT worth it. I live in Miami and the legal market down here is terrible. Biglaw is non existent, government jobs will be very difficult to come by (if there will even be any new hiring) because the governor is going to slash the state budget, unemployment is still high here, etc etc. There is a glut of lawyers down here as it is (many doing personal injury/shitlaw) and it just isnt wise to go to UMiami expecting to come away with a great job. If you can get a significant scholarship, go for it, otherwise stay away from Miami. Go to UF and youll be in a better position.


thanks for this. Should have really applied to UF.

G1985J
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby G1985J » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:30 pm

I don't think that the law school is providing housing for the law day, so if anybody wants to split a hotel room PM me, I'm coming in from Boston and will be there late Thursday.

User avatar
Franco Columbu
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Franco Columbu » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:31 pm

The conclusion I reached was that the only good reason to go to Miami is if someone else is covering your education costs and you really want to live in Miami regardless of the fact that you can have a better job elsewhere.

I also think that the one variable which could change everthing is the legal market in 2014 when we graduate. I'm no economist so maybe someone can help me with this, what are the chances of the market improving over the next 3 years? And I'm talking about significant improvement, to the extent that the majority of Miami grads are assured jobs that can repay our debt.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12387
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby gdane » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:38 am

Very little chance. Florida is in dire straits and will probably be one of the last states to fully emerge from the recession. The current governor also isnt exactly helping matters.

Just drive around Miami for a few minutes and you'll see all the billboards advertising "Car Accident? Call us?", "Bankruptcy only $699", "DUI? Speeding? Dont pay that ticket!", etc etc. You get the point. Dont bank of Biglaw because biglaw really doesnt exist in Miami. Big firms like Greenberg Traurig and Akerman Senterfitt arent exactly hiring in droves and if they do hire, they mainly hire out of the top 14. Go through their newly hired attorney's page, you wont see too many UMiami grads.

Go to UMiami at your own risk.

SixStrings11
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:25 am

Haha... Every time I come into this thread I get depressed.. maybe I should stop

always206
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby always206 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 am

Image

User avatar
Franco Columbu
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Franco Columbu » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:04 am

I think most people who are going to Miami have come to terms with the fact that the chances of working in Biglaw are very slim.

The issue for most of us potential Miami grads is whether we will be able to land decent jobs in mid size firms. True we wont be making 160k per year, but at least we will be working as lawyers with decent salaries.

My big fear is that Miami grads wont even be able to land those jobs when graduation comes around in 2014. Any thoughts?

User avatar
Franco Columbu
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Franco Columbu » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:13 am

SixStrings11 wrote:Haha... Every time I come into this thread I get depressed.. maybe I should stop


I used to avoid reading this thread also for the same reason, but then i realized that being in denial about my future is dangerous.

I've come to terms with reality and I'm now I'm trying to understand exactly what I'm getting myself into.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:20 am

Franco Columbu wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:Haha... Every time I come into this thread I get depressed.. maybe I should stop


I used to avoid reading this thread also for the same reason, but then i realized that being in denial about my future is dangerous.

I've come to terms with reality and I'm now I'm trying to understand exactly what I'm getting myself into.


TLS sheds a tear over the beauty of that statement.

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Bless » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 am

I think people are severely underestimating Miami. They have a strong name and alumni base.




...But they are pricks about money.

ChiCubs14
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby ChiCubs14 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:31 am

I might be going to Miami so it'd be nice if people weren't so negative...

Especially those who have never been through law school and have never searched for a law-related position in the Miami area...

I feel like some people are just bashing Miami for the sake of feeling good about themselves going to UF or some other school....

Ya Miami dropped in the "rankings" but the difference between position 80 and 60 really isn't very great...so everyone please step away from the ledge and just get over it

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby Bless » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:35 am

ChiCubs14 wrote:I might be going to Miami so it'd be nice if people weren't so negative...

Especially those who have never been through law school and have never searched for a law-related position in the Miami area...

I feel like some people are just bashing Miami for the sake of feeling good about themselves going to UF or some other school....

Ya Miami dropped in the "rankings" but the difference between position 80 and 60 really isn't very great...so everyone please step away from the ledge and just get over it

USN Rankings mean nothing.


I'm from South Florida, and although I am REALLY pissed at UM for not offering me any sort of scholarship and likely will not be attending because of that, I will say that it is a solid school. People on TLS get all hyperactive over rankings, which is both illogical and irrational (and these people want to be lawyers, lmao).

If you do well at UM, you will find a good job. I know people personally who are doing very well as UM Law grads, and one particular girl who landed a nice gig in NYC. I personally feel that Miami has an advantage over FSU as far as reaching into other markets. You are NOT limited to Miami if you graduate from UM... the Miami name carries a long way.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:49 am

Bless wrote:
ChiCubs14 wrote:I might be going to Miami so it'd be nice if people weren't so negative...

Especially those who have never been through law school and have never searched for a law-related position in the Miami area...

I feel like some people are just bashing Miami for the sake of feeling good about themselves going to UF or some other school....

Ya Miami dropped in the "rankings" but the difference between position 80 and 60 really isn't very great...so everyone please step away from the ledge and just get over it

USN Rankings mean nothing.


I'm from South Florida, and although I am REALLY pissed at UM for not offering me any sort of scholarship and likely will not be attending because of that, I will say that it is a solid school. People on TLS get all hyperactive over rankings, which is both illogical and irrational (and these people want to be lawyers, lmao).

If you do well at UM, you will find a good job. I know people personally who are doing very well as UM Law grads, and one particular girl who landed a nice gig in NYC. I personally feel that Miami has an advantage over FSU as far as reaching into other markets. You are NOT limited to Miami if you graduate from UM... the Miami name carries a long way.


Anecdotal evidence isn't sufficient for that statement. Just as you say that, I can say that my best friend's mother does hiring for Sterns Weaver Miller and she says UF and FSU are seen as far superior schools. FSU places better everywhere in Florida with the exception of Miami, and there it is about the same.

Also, I disagree with your statement about finding a good job if you do well at Miami. What is your definition of finding a good job? Mine is being able to pay back over 200k in sticker debt, which Miami does not give the opportunity for.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eageragnostic, Google Adsense [Bot], Zoe107 and 2 guests