U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drummerboy

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Postby drummerboy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:20 pm

was on hold for several months then got in. no scholly in the horizon. will have to make decision based on this. do you think its reasonable to be in 114k in debt? I believe I may be able to get my books, room and board paid for by parental help. what would you do? and i agree, lets not trash this school. it is a viable option . indeed, despite what ive said in previous threads, fluctuating between paying or not paying, the truth is that ive lived in s fl all my life and still love it. so fsu/uf or not, is irrelevant since the only solid school in s fl is miami. so it has to be a viable option for anyone wishing to live here.

Intraining

Postby Intraining » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:59 pm

So is anyone planning on accepting their scholarship package?

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:29 pm

I have a connection higher up in the administration at the university that has ties to the law school, and I've been trying to get more money than the $24k/year they already gave me. My connection was told that they have used all their funds, and as people withdraw those with the best credentials will be considered for those awards.

Also, after the first year you can apply for a merit-based increase. Rising students can also apply for need and public interest based awards for the 2L year. So there is always potential for some/more money later on. I hope this info is helpful. :D

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:19 pm

Yea I'm accepting the scholarship offer. 24k, hoping maybe I'll get luckier and get some more, but I can't complain, especially living at home. If not, I'm hopeful for a merit-based increase later on in school. It's all about the U!

maggiesimonson

Postby maggiesimonson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:56 pm

I just logged into MyUM and instead of my hold letter I previously had, I get a link to see documents needed, which directs me to LSAC. I tried to use the link from a few pages ago and instead of seeing an acceptance letter, it says your admissions information is not available, please contact the office of admissions. Has anyone else gotten this pattern of messages!?

J21

Postby J21 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 pm

maggiesimonson wrote:I just logged into MyUM and instead of my hold letter I previously had, I get a link to see documents needed, which directs me to LSAC. I tried to use the link from a few pages ago and instead of seeing an acceptance letter, it says your admissions information is not available, please contact the office of admissions. Has anyone else gotten this pattern of messages!?

+1

Ohiowick

Postby Ohiowick » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:38 pm

maggiesimonson wrote:I just logged into MyUM and instead of my hold letter I previously had, I get a link to see documents needed, which directs me to LSAC. I tried to use the link from a few pages ago and instead of seeing an acceptance letter, it says your admissions information is not available, please contact the office of admissions. Has anyone else gotten this pattern of messages!?

+1

snakebones

Postby snakebones » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 pm

I got that a few weeks ago when they took me off hold. They're probably reviewing/re-reviewed your app and haven't posted the decision yet......keep checking next week though, that link from the other page usually lets you know before they actually tell you. Good Luck!

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:54 pm

drummerboy wrote:was on hold for several months then got in. no scholly in the horizon. will have to make decision based on this. do you think its reasonable to be in 114k in debt? I believe I may be able to get my books, room and board paid for by parental help. what would you do? and i agree, lets not trash this school. it is a viable option . indeed, despite what ive said in previous threads, fluctuating between paying or not paying, the truth is that ive lived in s fl all my life and still love it. so fsu/uf or not, is irrelevant since the only solid school in s fl is miami. so it has to be a viable option for anyone wishing to live here.

For what it's worth, IF I go to Miami, due to the debt I've accumulated during undergrad, I'd end up at a little over $200,000 in debt after law school. I'm praying I get in somewhere cheaper, but if worst comes worst, I'm not looking at a good situation.
That being said, I will bite the bullet and pay if I have to.. I know in the long run I should have some help to eventually pay it all off.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:00 pm

I got it too.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:04 pm

flgator10 wrote:

I got it too.

Same. Does it even matter now though? We will get no money at all if we get in.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:13 pm

I know last time before everyone on hold got admitted they were able to see the acceptance page. Does anyone have any idea what it means if we can't see it? Waitlist?

Ohiowick

Postby Ohiowick » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Hopefully accepted?

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Ohiowick wrote:Hopefully accepted?

fingers crossed! I know some other people were waitlisted last time but I never heard of anyone seeing the same message as us when clicking on that link.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 pm

Hello lovely TLSers,

Got some news from another school and am mailing my withdrawal first thing when I get back home Monday. Hopefully one of you lovely on hold or wailtist people get my spot. :D

RAB

Postby RAB » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Wait can anyone see the letter congratulating them when hitting that link? I got a message saying my admission documents can't be viewed right now or a message to that effect.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:34 pm

RAB wrote:Wait can anyone see the letter congratulating them when hitting that link? I got a message saying my admission documents can't be viewed right now or a message to that effect.

That is what we have too. But a few weeks ago, right before a bunch of people were admitted off the hold list and also had their hold letters replaced by view admissions documents needed, they were able to see their acceptance letter online by clicking on this link --LinkRemoved-- ... Letter.asp

However, when I click on this link it brings me to a page that says "Your admissions information is not available at this time. Please contact the Office of Admissions at 305-284-2527 for additional information. Thank you." I'm not sure what this means.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:35 pm

Sorry I'm not sure why the link doesn't work when I copy and paste it, but it was back on page 36 or 37 I believe

Kyllo

Postby Kyllo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:17 am

My husband has been accepted to Miami. We will be picking up everything and moving there sometime in the next four months (whenever I can secure employment or school starts, whichever happens sooner). Anyone able to offer any information about Broward County? We have a "pit bull" so living in Miami-Dade is out. How far away is it from campus? Any neighborhoods to avoid? Is the metrorail pretty reliable and easy to use? Any other advice on the Miami area (beyond living arrangements)? We are from Texas so we don't even know where to begin!

Unfortunately, like so many others on this thread, no scholarship money so we will be paying sticker. At least the first year, then we can try again for further assistance. I ask that those who feel paying sticker for Miami is "stupid" to please refrain from responding to my inquiry. Yes, we know that we will acquire a large amount of debt, but we have made our decision based off what is best for us. Anyone who has any helpful information, your input is greatly appreciated!

SunDevil07

Postby SunDevil07 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:30 am

flgator10 wrote:Sorry I'm not sure why the link doesn't work when I copy and paste it, but it was back on page 36 or 37 I believe

Link: https://myum.miami.edu/Admissions/Accep ... Letter.asp

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:32 am

SunDevil07 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:Sorry I'm not sure why the link doesn't work when I copy and paste it, but it was back on page 36 or 37 I believe

Link: https://myum.miami.edu/Admissions/Accep ... Letter.asp

Thank you!

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:34 am

Add me to that new status list, too. Here's to hoping we don't have to wait too terribly long to find out what it means.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:37 am

LawBound11 wrote:Add me to that new status list, too. Here's to hoping we don't have to wait too terribly long to find out what it means.

I really hope we hear something soon. It's still early, so I'm hoping for some good news. Why would they reject us before the first seat deposit is even due?

always206

Postby always206 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Same status:

"View Admissions Documents Needed You can track your documents received at the LSAC website. The LSAC website is http://www.LSAC.org"

I hope this is a positive sign.

ericas386

Postby ericas386 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Intraining wrote:So is anyone planning on accepting their scholarship package?

I'm accepting mine. 24k a year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”