U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Gold

U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by Barbie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:30 pm

Since Miami is one of the schools that appears to start giving out acceptances pretty early, I thought I would make a thread! I live in Florida and applied in September. Good luck to anyone applying :)

For the curious and confused:
Your status checker IS your CaneID page. It will change to "Congratulations" or something else under the messages part (top left) when some decision has been made or action taken. Applications will probably go under review around early to mid November.

:)
Last edited by Barbie on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawgrl21

Bronze

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by lawgrl21 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:41 pm

Do you know when they will start sending out acceptances? I know you said they are one of the earlier ones, but do you have any idea around when?

dukivich10

Bronze

Post by dukivich10 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:45 pm

Barbie, i think we are in the same boat at quite a few schools...ive been in since 9/2 i believe.

aln14

New

Post by aln14 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:52 pm

I received the e-mail that established my CaneID, but I really don't know what to make of the site. Can I access some sort of status checker with this?

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:58 pm

Went to their open house a couple of weeks ago and loved it! Would definitely consider attending if I could get some scholarship money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dukivich10

Bronze

Post by dukivich10 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:07 pm

I visited this summer and enjoyed the campus and area. I wouldn't mind spending my time in Miami one bit.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Status checker- apparently the page you can sign into with your Cane ID will say "Congratulation!" when and if you are accepted.

Timeline- according to LSN, a few people got acceptances in late October, then in early November the first batch seems to go out.

Never been to Miami personally, but where I live is really, really hot already I can't imagine how hot it is there lol. I hear Coral Gables is very nice, but very $$$.

aln14

New

Post by aln14 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Barbie wrote: Never been to Miami personally, but where I live is really, really hot already I can't imagine how hot it is there lol. I hear Coral Gables is very nice, but very $$$.
You live in Florida, but you've never been to Miami? :o
Even if you don't end up at UM, come down and visit some time. It's such an exciting town.

Thanks for the Status Checker heads up.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:22 pm

aln14 wrote:
Barbie wrote: Never been to Miami personally, but where I live is really, really hot already I can't imagine how hot it is there lol. I hear Coral Gables is very nice, but very $$$.
You live in Florida, but you've never been to Miami? :o
Even if you don't end up at UM, come down and visit some time. It's such an exciting town.

Thanks for the Status Checker heads up.
Well, I haaaave been to Miami. My family used to have a share at a hotel called the Fountain Bleu. I'm not sure if its anywhere near the LS, it is on South Beach I think. But I haven't been since I've been old enough to drink :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Barbie wrote:Status checker- apparently the page you can sign into with your Cane ID will say "Congratulation!" when and if you are accepted.

Timeline- according to LSN, a few people got acceptances in late October, then in early November the first batch seems to go out.

Never been to Miami personally, but where I live is really, really hot already I can't imagine how hot it is there lol. I hear Coral Gables is very nice, but very $$$.
Oh yeah, definitely $$$! They talked about how affordable the housing was, and then I went home and looked up some of the apartments near campus...easily over $1,000 a month (even more if you want to live by yourself). Coming from Gainesville where you can find a nice apartment for $500 a month, that doesn't sound too affordable to me. But I guess that's considered affordable compared to other big cities.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:49 pm

flgator10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:Status checker- apparently the page you can sign into with your Cane ID will say "Congratulation!" when and if you are accepted.

Oh yeah, definitely $$$! They talked about how affordable the housing was, and then I went home and looked up some of the apartments near campus...easily over $1,000 a month (even more if you want to live by yourself). Coming from Gainesville where you can find a nice apartment for $500 a month, that doesn't sound too affordable to me. But I guess that's considered affordable compared to other big cities.
Yea $1000 for an apartment here in DC is a STEAL.

I applied 2 weeks ago, but Im waiting for my LSAT score before they make a move. Hopefully those November acceptances will include me!!

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:12 am

Hi, long time reader of the forums. First time poster. I decided it's finally time to share in the misery of waiting to hear from schools. I'm currently at Miami for undergrad and my application has been in since the first day they were availabe to send (9/1? 9/2?).. I also applied to UF and FSU, and a couple others.
If anyone has questions about the Miami campus, housing (I have an apartment down here), or anything else about the area feel free to let me know. :lol:

EDIT: Just to give some info about what's been asked/said already:

South Beach (and the Fontainebleau) are about a 15-20 minute drive from campus without traffic. Traffic on US-1 (the main road in Coral Gables), however, is usually bad most of the day. If I had one complaint about my undergrad experience, it would be US-1. You get use to it though, and the area is great - a lot of things to do if you can find the time.

Housing - My roommate and I split a 2/2 apartment directly off campus (Red Road Commons). We pay under $1800 a month total ($900 each) at the moment. But I feel that price will be going up. So yes, it's a little expensive, but it gets cheaper as you move away from campus.

Weather - Hot or rainy. Mostly hot. Beaches are wonderful though. Key Biscayne is about 10-15 minutes away. South Beach, as I said, is 15-20, or maybe 25. There are other places to go, too.

Also, I think the bar on campus (The Rat, as we call it), does free drinks for law students on Thursdays. Or every other Thursday. Coconut Grove is another place a lot of students go Tuesdays and Thursdays. Not sure if law students do the same. but there are a lot of bars there.

In terms of academics - I know one or two people who attend Miami Law. They seem to like it. I also know a couple of professors and they're great people. I know Miami is known as the third best in the state, but they're really rising in the rankings. Undergrad recently passed UF and became the #1 ranked in Florida

And the Law school has moved up a lot recently. Only thing that might hold me back is price, if I get into Miami and some others.

Anything else, please ask.

overyourhead

New

Post by overyourhead » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Woohoo! I was waiting for someone to start this thread. :mrgreen:

Miami is my top choice, however I still have yet to apply. Waiting on my October LSAT score. Fingers crossed.... but I'm sure I'll be ok.

I live in South FL and Miami is where I want to live and practice.

Where else are you guys applying? I looked at the UF app last night, but it seems like such a hassle for a school I don't even want to attend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:58 pm

overyourhead wrote:Woohoo! I was waiting for someone to start this thread. :mrgreen:

Miami is my top choice, however I still have yet to apply. Waiting on my October LSAT score. Fingers crossed.... but I'm sure I'll be ok.

Where else are you guys applying? I looked at the UF app last night, but it seems like such a hassle for a school I don't even want to attend.
I applied to 34320948902389423 schools haha. UFs app wasn't bad, but the stuff you'll have to do after you submit it is kind of a pain. Miami's app was one of the easiest IMO, which was nice. Not many restrictions on PS, etc.

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Is anyone else applying for the Miami Scholars Program? I wonder how difficult it is to get.

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Barbie wrote:Since Miami is one of the schools that appears to start giving out acceptances pretty early, I thought I would make a thread! I live in Florida and applied in September. Good luck to anyone applying :)

I have a strange feeling we are applying to almost the exact same schools Barbie. Every time I look on TLS for a thread about a school I applied to, you already have one posted! I wish you luck!

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm

So, I am still confused about their status checker. I signed up for the Cane ID thing but it's more like a blackboard account than anything else. Does anyone's account say anything about the status of their application or is it blank like mine?

I called UM about it awhile back and they said that it was suppose to be blank and that it will update when they review applications starting in late October/early November. I just want to be sure that I am looking at the right thing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:43 pm

Neo wrote:So, I am still confused about their status checker. I signed up for the Cane ID thing but it's more like a blackboard account than anything else. Does anyone's account say anything about the status of their application or is it blank like mine?

I called UM about it awhile back and they said that it was suppose to be blank and that it will update when they review applications starting in late October/early November. I just want to be sure that I am looking at the right thing.
you are :) thats what you're supposed to have (from what I've gathered).
and I'm Pming you!

overyourhead

New

Post by overyourhead » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Barbie wrote:
overyourhead wrote:Woohoo! I was waiting for someone to start this thread. :mrgreen:

I applied to 34320948902389423 schools haha. UFs app wasn't bad, but the stuff you'll have to do after you submit it is kind of a pain. Miami's app was one of the easiest IMO, which was nice. Not many restrictions on PS, etc.
What else do you have to do after submitting your app? That is, assuming it's ok to divulge. More stuff that what's beyond what is listed in the checklist?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:37 pm

overyourhead wrote:What else do you have to do after submitting your app? That is, assuming it's ok to divulge. More stuff that what's beyond what is listed in the checklist?
Kind of confused by this question... After you've submitted your app (PS, Addendums, LORs, DS if you write one, driving record if needbe, resume) then all there is to do is check your status 100 times a day like meee :)

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:32 am

SixStrings11 wrote:Hi, long time reader of the forums. First time poster. I decided it's finally time to share in the misery of waiting to hear from schools. I'm currently at Miami for undergrad and my application has been in since the first day they were availabe to send (9/1? 9/2?).. I also applied to UF and FSU, and a couple others.
If anyone has questions about the Miami campus, housing (I have an apartment down here), or anything else about the area feel free to let me know. :lol:

EDIT: Just to give some info about what's been asked/said already:

South Beach (and the Fontainebleau) are about a 15-20 minute drive from campus without traffic. Traffic on US-1 (the main road in Coral Gables), however, is usually bad most of the day. If I had one complaint about my undergrad experience, it would be US-1. You get use to it though, and the area is great - a lot of things to do if you can find the time.

Housing - My roommate and I split a 2/2 apartment directly off campus (Red Road Commons). We pay under $1800 a month total ($900 each) at the moment. But I feel that price will be going up. So yes, it's a little expensive, but it gets cheaper as you move away from campus.

Weather - Hot or rainy. Mostly hot. Beaches are wonderful though. Key Biscayne is about 10-15 minutes away. South Beach, as I said, is 15-20, or maybe 25. There are other places to go, too.

Also, I think the bar on campus (The Rat, as we call it), does free drinks for law students on Thursdays. Or every other Thursday. Coconut Grove is another place a lot of students go Tuesdays and Thursdays. Not sure if law students do the same. but there are a lot of bars there.

In terms of academics - I know one or two people who attend Miami Law. They seem to like it. I also know a couple of professors and they're great people. I know Miami is known as the third best in the state, but they're really rising in the rankings. Undergrad recently passed UF and became the #1 ranked in Florida

And the Law school has moved up a lot recently. Only thing that might hold me back is price, if I get into Miami and some others.

Anything else, please ask.
The other day I was checking if UF was still the top dog for undergrad in Florida and saw Miami has passed them :-(. Miami football still sucks although UF seems to be following in their foot steps.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:54 am

jr1886 wrote: The other day I was checking if UF was still the top dog for undergrad in Florida and saw Miami has passed them :-(. Miami football still sucks although UF seems to be following in their foot steps.
Unfortunately I can't argue that. And I'm afraid that as long as Randy Shannon is leading the program Miami will never get back to being a great football program. I'm just praying for an ACC championship. :cry: And yes, UF took a few leaps back without Tebow

streetlight

New

Post by streetlight » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:27 am

Sent my application in on 10/10. Miami is one of my top choices.

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:26 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
jr1886 wrote: The other day I was checking if UF was still the top dog for undergrad in Florida and saw Miami has passed them :-(. Miami football still sucks although UF seems to be following in their foot steps.
Unfortunately I can't argue that. And I'm afraid that as long as Randy Shannon is leading the program Miami will never get back to being a great football program. I'm just praying for an ACC championship. :cry: And yes, UF took a few leaps back without Tebow
Definitely not our year. I personally am hoping they will get rid of Addazio and get someone who actually knows how to call plays. But as far as the education goes, I think UF is only ranked like 3 spots below Miami...I'd take the UF degree any day rather than having to pay $36,000 a year...for undergrad!

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:46 pm

flgator10 wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
Definitely not our year. I personally am hoping they will get rid of Addazio and get someone who actually knows how to call plays. But as far as the education goes, I think UF is only ranked like 3 spots below Miami...I'd take the UF degree any day rather than having to pay $36,000 a year...for undergrad!
Sure thing. UF is a great school, regardless of the rankings. And I agree on the price. Lucky for me I'm at UM on academic scholarship - definitely helpful. Both schools have good programs. I wasn't trying to start a "my school is better than yours" war.. I was just citing some evidence that even though Miami's Law School ranking isn't as high as the other Florida schools at the moment, there's a good shot that it can catch up in the next few years given their undergrad trends, and the law school trends (moved up a lot in the past few years).

For the price, certainly UF wins. But I wouldn't count Miami out as a great school to attend if your numbers are a little lower or if you just prefer the south Florida area (and don't mind paying or get a nice scholarship).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”