U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gov

Bronze

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by gov » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:17 pm

I went complete 10/28. Now I see a sections that says "Law Admissions" in order to see if any documents are missing. I would assume this means under review as I called on Friday and she said I should be hearing back shortly...who knows.

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:54 am

Accepted today via status checker - no e-mail. Excited for the first acceptance!

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:05 am

I got in this am by status checker 158, 3.6 second one in also in st thomas for a full ride as back up! yay!!!! congrats guys!

overyourhead

New

Post by overyourhead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:46 am

I just checked the Miami website to find a big congratulations. :D

I'm afraid to close the browser because I don't want it to go away.

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:58 am

overyourhead wrote:I just checked the Miami website to find a big congratulations. :D

I'm afraid to close the browser because I don't want it to go away.
That was an issue at first, but it seems Miami added a section to myUM to view it again after you exit out. If it doesn't show up at first, it should after a few days. I have a .jpg and .png saved of the screen capture just in case though :mrgreen:
You'll also get a copy in the mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

musicalmissionary

New

Post by musicalmissionary » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:09 am

Anyone else in here planning on the JD/MM in Music Business?

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:09 am

musicalmissionary wrote:Anyone else in here planning on the JD/MM in Music Business?
+1

brupe

Bronze

Post by brupe » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:23 am

I'm submitting my application today, I got denied last year. When do you guys think I'll hear back?

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:32 am

just got in....I was getting worried :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brokenwindows

New

Post by brokenwindows » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am

W
Last edited by brokenwindows on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 am

brokenwindows wrote:Where is the status checker?? I am trying to check for my husband right now and i can't find the page. Thanks! BTW, Congratulations getting in you guys!!!
I'm not sure if there is a "status checker" in the literal sense.. unless they started one up now that they're in the reviewing process. But http://www.miami.edu/myum should change to "Congratulations" or something of the sort once a decision is made.

And congrats to those of you that just heard!

overyourhead

New

Post by overyourhead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:52 am

^^ Yup, I've been checking through Miami's site. On the LSAC site, nothing has changed so there is no indication I was accepted or even ever in review.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:14 pm

I applied about a little over a week ago. I hope to hear soon too. lol. I mean, my numbers are above the 75's for each category; however, everyone getting in and not hearing anything/even being able to see any indication of a law school app on my site is never the best feeling. hahaha. I want to join the party too, damn it!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:56 pm

I just read this article about Miami paying others to hire their Law school grads..? Basically setting up a "Legal Corps" for those that can't find jobs.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/ ... dges_t.php

EDIT: For those that don't feel like clicking the link:
Pity the Lawyers: UM Will Pay Others To Hire Law School Grads
By Tim Elfrink

​A righteous anger has lately been seething from the most unlikely and urbane of American institutions. Inside ivy-shaded law schools from Columbia to Berkeley, students facing six-figure debts and zero job prospects are howling that JDs aren't much more than university approved shams. Blogs like Shilling Me Softly have stirred the anger, and last month a Boston College student earned headlines by begging his chancellor to give him back his tuition. "It's really just a Ponzi scheme," a Seton Hall law student and blogger named Scott Bullock told the New Jersey Star-Ledger this summer.

The latest sign of law grads' dire straits comes from Coral Gables, where the University of Miami is trying to bolster the grim market for the 350 or so new lawyers set to graduate next spring by offering their up services -- for free.

The new program, called the Legal Corps, will place graduating students without job offers at public agencies, public interest organizations and judicial chambers for six months. The firms and courts will pay nada, while UM will pick up a $2,500 monthly stipend.

"It's great to know that we've got this as a fallback option," says Irma Khoja, a 26-year-old South Florida native who will graduate next spring.

UM's program has earned accolades for its realistic approach. In 2009, the school asked incoming students to consider deferring enrollment for a year. In a letter, Dean Patricia White asked would-be lawyers to check their motivations before committing, saying that anyone who viewed law school "as a safe harbor... [to] wait out the current economic storm" should "think hard about your plans."

Now, UM is one of the first schools in the nation to offer its new grads' talents for free to cash-strapped public service-minded firms and judges.

"We believe that Legal Corps is the first serious attempt by a law school to contribute in a significant way to both the enormous unmet need for legal services and the harsh economic realities faced by recent law school graduates," White says in a release.

The pragmatic message might be tough to stomach, but most law students appreciate it, Khoja says.

"What's great about UM is they're very practical and realistic compared to other schools who see this as just an opportunity to get more applications and more revenue," she says.

Like the vast majority of her classmates, Khoja doesn't have any offers lined up yet. She won't apply to the Legal Corps unless nothing else materializes -- but at least it's there, forestalling any urge to join the ranks of enraged law school bloggers.

"I'm just trying to stay as positive as I can," she says, "because it's the only way to get through the semester.
"

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Barbie wrote:Status checker- apparently the page you can sign into with your Cane ID will say "Congratulation!" when and if you are accepted.

Timeline- according to LSN, a few people got acceptances in late October, then in early November the first batch seems to go out.

Never been to Miami personally, but where I live is really, really hot already I can't imagine how hot it is there lol. I hear Coral Gables is very nice, but very $$$.
Born and raised in the Gables, can definitely attest to it's cost/niceness (there's a law against parking pick-ups on lawns). If you are trying to live on a budget (but not wanting to live in the ghetto), I'd try doral or maybe some parts of kendall are on the cheaper side. You definitely want a car in Miami, so if you don't have one I'd try to budget for a cheap thing to last you three years or so (luckily you can get cars for pretty cheap these days). Also find it hard to believe that you've never been to miami and you're from Florida, the only major city I've not visited for at least a day is Jacksonville, but I'll get there before I leave the gunshine state for law school 8) . Will definitely miss the beaches.

G'luck.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:37 pm

2011Law wrote:
Barbie wrote:Status checker- apparently the page you can sign into with your Cane ID will say "Congratulation!" when and if you are accepted.

Timeline- according to LSN, a few people got acceptances in late October, then in early November the first batch seems to go out.

Never been to Miami personally, but where I live is really, really hot already I can't imagine how hot it is there lol. I hear Coral Gables is very nice, but very $$$.
Born and raised in the Gables, can definitely attest to it's cost/niceness (there's a law against parking pick-ups on lawns). If you are trying to live on a budget (but not wanting to live in the ghetto), I'd try doral or maybe some parts of kendall are on the cheaper side. You definitely want a car in Miami, so if you don't have one I'd try to budget for a cheap thing to last you three years or so (luckily you can get cars for pretty cheap these days). Also find it hard to believe that you've never been to miami and you're from Florida, the only major city I've not visited for at least a day is Jacksonville, but I'll get there before I leave the gunshine state for law school 8) . Will definitely miss the beaches.

G'luck.

Well... I kind of have been to Miami. We used to have a time share at a place called the Fountain Bleu on South Beach... but I couldn't drive then and never ventured away from the little strip. (Also, obv, it was a while back). I love north Jacksonville and always spend the holidays there with my boyfriends family. It's a nice mix between GA and Fla.

amasingama

New

Post by amasingama » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Just found out today that I was accepted!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 pm

amasingama wrote:Just found out today that I was accepted!
Congrats :)

Classygal87

New

Post by Classygal87 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:55 pm

amasingama wrote:Just found out today that I was accepted!
When did you apply?

burnerclassic

New

Post by burnerclassic » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 am

-
Last edited by burnerclassic on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:00 am

burnerclassic wrote:just wanted to let you guys know my current situation in case anyone else is experiencing anything similar...

the short story is, i applied to UM on Nov 1st and my application is still listed as incomplete on LSAC, saying that my Law School Report has not been sent because UM has not requested it.

the longer story is, LSAC told me they sent the Law School Report to UM on Nov 11 last week, yet my LSAC account still showed UM as incomplete. called LSAC again and they said, actually, that was a mistake - they never sent it because UM never requested it (i didn't realize schools had to manually request Law School Reports?).

i've been in contact with UM, but this is certainly not the kind of attention i wanted to draw to myself. i'm a bit concerned here, as UM is my first choice. i'm less concerned with not having received an admissions decision than with my application status being incomplete for two weeks now.

anybody else experience anything similar?
Same thing happened to me too. When I called UM, the rep says it comes automatically the school doesn't need to request it. I feel like arguing but hold my tongue; two days later I went complete. But I'm still waiting on a decision. You should be ok too

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

golfer89

New

Post by golfer89 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:47 pm

I just got accepted today as well! Does anyone know when we could potentially hear about merit $?

Classygal87

New

Post by Classygal87 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:47 pm

golfer89 wrote:I just got accepted today as well! Does anyone know when we could potentially hear about merit $?
Congrats! When did you apply?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:48 pm

golfer89 wrote:I just got accepted today as well! Does anyone know when we could potentially hear about merit $?
NEVAAAAARRRRR!!!

actually, for the 9384923890 time ITT, prob mid-spring..

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:54 pm

I have gotten mixed responses. I have heard 3-4 weeks after admissions as well as late December/Early January.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”