U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ClutchCity24

New

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by ClutchCity24 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:41 pm

it takes a couple of weeks but you will get money

nelaw2010

Bronze

Post by nelaw2010 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:42 pm

ClutchCity24 wrote:it takes a couple of weeks but you will get money
Thanks ClutchCity24!

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:43 pm

beachviolet11 wrote:So does $ information come in the initial mailing folder thing or later?
I think money comes later. I haven't gotten anything either.

140orBust

New

Post by 140orBust » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:04 am

Is there a Miami law class of 2014 Facebook group yet?

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:06 am

I will be withdrawing next week and freeing up $72k...hopefully it goes to someone who really wants it...good luck to everyone

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:02 pm

3.3/167
Applied 1/19/11 accepted 2/07/11

Got my big envelope this morning, though it was odd, they didn't lick or close the seal, as in when I got it- it was already opened and there wasn't any evidence of tearing or tampering. Though I wonder how applying so late effects my chances for scholarship money. Anyone know?

Mpeterson4

New

Post by Mpeterson4 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:10 pm

DubPoker wrote:3.3/167

Got my big envelope this morning, though it was odd, they didn't lick or close the seal, as in when I got it- it was already opened and there wasn't any evidence of tearing or tampering. Though I wonder how applying so late effects my chances for scholarship money. Anyone know?
According to a response on the admitted student website:

"At this time, all merit based scholarships have been awarded and our funds are depleted at this point for incoming first year students. Please keep in mind that you may apply for a merit-based or need-based scholarship upon completion of your first and second year."

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:

"At this time, all merit based scholarships have been awarded and our funds are depleted at this point for incoming first year students. Please keep in mind that you may apply for a merit-based or need-based scholarship upon completion of your first and second year."
Guess that's my cue to withdraw.

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:32 pm

In today via status checker thing. If the above posts are true and there is no more money available it will be very hard to choose UM over a higher ranked state school (i.e. UF or FSU)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:According to a response on the admitted student website:

Was that a message you asked them? I checked the UM website and don't see anything like that anywhere. Its sort of a weird thing to write though because of people Withdrawing and not accepting scholarships.

ClutchCity24

New

Post by ClutchCity24 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:57 pm

I would imagine that a fair amount of money will free up. I am still weighing some of my options but other schools have made more attractive offers so my 24k a yr will probably be available soon. I am sure there are a fair number of people in a similar situation as myself.

nelaw2010

Bronze

Post by nelaw2010 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:

WTF??? So no more money?

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:38 am

I got my acceptance package in a similar manner. As if the adhesive wasnt strong enough to keep it shut

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mpeterson4

New

Post by Mpeterson4 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:26 am

DubPoker wrote:
Mpeterson4 wrote:According to a response on the admitted student website:

Was that a message you asked them? I checked the UM website and don't see anything like that anywhere. Its sort of a weird thing to write though because of people Withdrawing and not accepting scholarships.

It was a response to a question someone asked on the admitted students website. http://www.law.miami.edu/admitted/ and then log in.

I agree it sounds like a very strange thing to say considering money should free up from people withdrawing, I was just forwarding along an answer to someone's question.

TreeHugger20

New

Post by TreeHugger20 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:33 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:

I emailed the financial aid office about this and never received any response. I sent it on Thursday. :roll:

There's no way I can justify spending sticker at Miami when I can get in-state tuition at Tennessee.

FrOhara1213

New

Post by FrOhara1213 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:49 pm

So my application was placed on hold about a month ago. Is it reasonable to to abandon all hope at this point? I immediately sent a brief essay defending my shiteous LSAT score, but other than that not much else about my application is really going to change. The only reason I ask now is that my partner and I will be in Fort Lauderdale next month and I'm trying to see if it's even worth it to plan an on campus visit. Thoughts?

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:21 am

FrOhara1213 wrote:So my application was placed on hold about a month ago. Is it reasonable to to abandon all hope at this point? I immediately sent a brief essay defending my shiteous LSAT score, but other than that not much else about my application is really going to change. The only reason I ask now is that my partner and I will be in Fort Lauderdale next month and I'm trying to see if it's even worth it to plan an on campus visit. Thoughts?
Retake the LSAT; otherwise, you are wasting a strong GPA. Then again, I'm unsure how favorably law schools treat the GLBT applicants as far as admissions is concerned. If it's not particularly lenient, I don't see you being accepted to the schools that you applied to. Good luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:18 am

Bless wrote:
FrOhara1213 wrote:So my application was placed on hold about a month ago. Is it reasonable to to abandon all hope at this point? I immediately sent a brief essay defending my shiteous LSAT score, but other than that not much else about my application is really going to change. The only reason I ask now is that my partner and I will be in Fort Lauderdale next month and I'm trying to see if it's even worth it to plan an on campus visit. Thoughts?
Retake the LSAT; otherwise, you are wasting a strong GPA. Then again, I'm unsure how favorably law schools treat the GLBT applicants as far as admissions is concerned. If it's not particularly lenient, I don't see you being accepted to the schools that you applied to. Good luck.
totally agreed. you can def bring up that 148

FlashinLeather

New

Post by FlashinLeather » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm

160/3.3

Applied 1/19 in 2/5, but didn't check till today because of how it was sent to my email. I guess i'm like everyone else here wondering about money, I know my GPA and LSAT aren't anything special but does anyone have any idea if I will be offered any money or not, and is it about 2-3 weeks before the offer it?

Thanks

FrOhara1213

New

Post by FrOhara1213 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:12 pm

gothamm wrote:
Bless wrote:
totally agreed. you can def bring up that 148
At this point I've already resigned myself to the reality that law school this fall is an impossibility. I'll be giving the LSAT a 3rd attempt this October. Given that I've already applied to 14 schools this admissions cycle and that I have yet to be officially rejected at University of Miami, I'm wondering if it's even worth it to pay them a visit next month while I'm down there. Is there anyone else in this thread who has specific knowledge or experience with having one's application placed on hold?

Ohiowick

New

Post by Ohiowick » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:33 pm

I'm currently on hold as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

streetlight

New

Post by streetlight » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:23 pm

FlashinLeather wrote:160/3.3

Applied 1/19 in 2/5, but didn't check till today because of how it was sent to my email. I guess i'm like everyone else here wondering about money, I know my GPA and LSAT aren't anything special but does anyone have any idea if I will be offered any money or not, and is it about 2-3 weeks before the offer it?

Thanks
Word up Numbers-Twin. I applied 10/10 and got in mid-November, but I also have heard nothing about schollys. I think the day after seat deposits are due will be a big day, since it stands to reason that some money will be freed up.

By the looks of this forum, most of the people with substantial scholarships have the numbers and aspirations for higher ranked schools, so let's keep our fingers crossed for some trickle-down effect.

nelaw2010

Bronze

Post by nelaw2010 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:

I too saw this message on the admitted student website in the Financial Aid forum. It was posted by an associate director/dean of the admissions office. A student asked if there would be more schollys once money frees up, but there was no response.

I'm surprised about the money being used up, but I have to believe that it will become available once people with higher numbers withdraw. This is the first time I have come across something like this, so I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 am

Waitlisted this morning. I'm going to send in a LOCI with an attached supplemental essay. I like Miami quite a bit; anyone think a visit would help the outcome? I'm from NY, so I would want to ensure I met with an adcom of significant importance. Spending $400-500 for a tour led by a 3L would seem to be of questionable value at best.

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 am

Justathought wrote:Waitlisted this morning. I'm going to send in a LOCI with an attached supplemental essay. I like Miami quite a bit; anyone think a visit would help the outcome? I'm from NY, so I would want to ensure I met with an adcom of significant importance. Spending $400-500 for a tour led by a 3L would seem to be of questionable value at best.
Were you waitlisted or put on hold? I haven't heard of anyone being waitlisted yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”