U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Iceman389

Bronze

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by Iceman389 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Does Miami let you know when your application file goes complete? Or are you pretty much in the dark after you get your Cane ID?

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Iceman389 wrote:Does Miami let you know when your application file goes complete? Or are you pretty much in the dark after you get your Cane ID?
I'm wondering the same thing. Got my Cane ID a few days ago...how long does it usually take to go complete?

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:05 pm

You don't really go complete.. you just wait.. and then if you get accepted eventually you will get an e-mail telling you to check your cane site and then it will say congratulations! as soon as you sign in.. otherwise while you are waiting it will just continually say "view a list of lsac documents" or something like that.

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:06 pm

deliriousxix wrote:You don't really go complete.. you just wait.. and then if you get accepted eventually you will get an e-mail telling you to check your cane site and then it will say congratulations! as soon as you sign in.. otherwise while you are waiting it will just continually say "view a list of lsac documents" or something like that.
Thanks! I've been waiting for something to change. Guess I'll just wait for the email.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:09 pm

They need to hurry on up. Im tired of waiting! I need to know!! LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gb87

New

Post by gb87 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:04 pm

You will get an email when your status changes. I got mine this morning, so I think within the next few days more people will know.

runningtimes

New

Post by runningtimes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:30 pm

What was the interview like for the Miami Scholars? Did they accept you after the interview was complete or by email at a later time?

gb87

New

Post by gb87 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:48 pm

runningtimes wrote:What was the interview like for the Miami Scholars? Did they accept you after the interview was complete or by email at a later time?
I didn't have an interview, and I was surprised I received an email so early in January.

FMaze

New

Post by FMaze » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:33 pm

I just received my very colorful and impressive U Miami acceptance package today―lots of pictures of palm trees and an emphasis of Miami’s #20 ranking in Super Lawyers, along with information touting the upside of the U Miami law school.

There was no mention of scholarship money. I read several other posts where $24K was a common amount. What is the timetable (or process) of receiving that information? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:37 pm

FMaze wrote:I just received my very colorful and impressive U Miami acceptance package today―lots of pictures of palm trees and an emphasis of Miami’s #20 ranking in Super Lawyers, along with information touting the upside of the U Miami law school.

There was no mention of scholarship money. I read several other posts where $24K was a common amount. What is the timetable (or process) of receiving that information? Thanks.
It was about a month in my case.

boilerup89

Bronze

Post by boilerup89 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:58 pm

FMaze wrote:I just received my very colorful and impressive U Miami acceptance package today―lots of pictures of palm trees and an emphasis of Miami’s #20 ranking in Super Lawyers, along with information touting the upside of the U Miami law school.

+1

I was hopping for scholly info too. Back to waiting I guess.

DamnLSAT

Bronze

Post by DamnLSAT » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:48 am

IN at Miami via 5am email directing me to log into my CaneID.

I too had wondered what the point of the CaneID was since you log in and can really do nothing with it. This time, a congrats page opens up when I logged in. No mention of scholly - didn't know if that was typical or just indicative of me not getting any.

I figure it will be in the snail mail package but I see someone else said theirs said nothing so I don't know anything except I'm in.

TreeHugger20

New

Post by TreeHugger20 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:43 am

In via email today. :D 159/3.79. I've been complete for about three weeks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Swanky

New

Post by Swanky » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:09 am

runningtimes wrote:What was the interview like for the Miami Scholars? Did they accept you after the interview was complete or by email at a later time?
I interviewed over the phone. It was a nice conversation. They asked me about my interests and why I wanted to go into public interest law, as well as about any of the problems at UMiami that specifically interested me. I was accepted over the phone.

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:39 am

For what it's worth to anyone awaiting scholarship info. I got an email this morning saying they sent me a scholarship package, but it didn't include any info on what the scholarship might be. I was accepted 12/30.

boilerup89

Bronze

Post by boilerup89 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:18 am

clintone88 wrote:For what it's worth to anyone awaiting scholarship info. I got an email this morning saying they sent me a scholarship package, but it didn't include any info on what the scholarship might be. I was accepted 12/30.
+1...ahhh hellz yeah super excited hoping for big $$$ 8)

This has made my day

LegallyBrunette3

New

Post by LegallyBrunette3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:36 am

The letter with scholarship information comes in a separate letter from your acceptance package. I think mine came three weeks after my acceptance package. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shmegory

New

Post by shmegory » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Hello - I hope everyone had a great holiday season, and staying warm wherever you are. I was accepted to UM Law late December with a 157/3.63 (not a URM). Does anyone know if I could or should expect to recieve scholarship money? Thank you in advance!

energizer

New

Post by energizer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 pm

I dont know. I have similar scores LSAT 156 GPA 3.8 and Im still waiting for the ultimate decision. Hypothetically speaking, suppose you got into FIU for less money and a scholarship versus ticket price at miami, where would you go?

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:48 pm

energizer wrote:I dont know. I have similar scores LSAT 156 GPA 3.8 and Im still waiting for the ultimate decision. Hypothetically speaking, suppose you got into FIU for less money and a scholarship versus ticket price at miami, where would you go?
I'd go with FIU. Assuming there isn't much help from parents, chalking up what, $160,00 in debt at an average-to-decent law school, is nuts. There are two schools in schools in FL ranked higher, cheaper, and from research both on these boards and via my internship place just as well (government positions, at least). FIU should be 3rd tier within 5 years given their increasing admissions standards, and while you certainly won't be getting big law, is a 0% chance compared to a 10% chance that much different for a $100,000 difference?

Now, a scholarship evening the field with UF/FSU that has a reasonable chance at retention at UM, now we're cooking.

energizer

New

Post by energizer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks for your insightful response. No I dont have the financial support of my parents. FIU is so new that Im concerned about its reputation compared to UM. But youre saying that the difference is not great enough to warrant the debt. Is that correct?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:30 am

energizer wrote:Thanks for your insightful response. No I dont have the financial support of my parents. FIU is so new that Im concerned about its reputation compared to UM. But youre saying that the difference is not great enough to warrant the debt. Is that correct?
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, and if you go back a few pages you will see this debate I had with someone who failed to grasp what I was trying to say.

In this interest of full disclosure, I was waitlisted at UM and accepted at FSU and believe I have an excellent shot at UF and Emory. I am an outlier with UM on LSN, if you look it will be pretty clear.

Regardless, I stand by what I say. Enough attorneys and judges that I have encountered have said FIU is rapidly improving enough to warrant major consideration for someone wishing to work in south Florida.

FMaze

New

Post by FMaze » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:40 am

I'd go with FIU. Assuming there isn't much help from parents, chalking up what, $160,00 in debt at an average-to-decent law school, is nuts. There are two schools in schools in FL ranked higher, cheaper, and from research both on these boards and via my internship place just as well (government positions, at least). FIU should be 3rd tier within 5 years given their increasing admissions standards, and while you certainly won't be getting big law, is a 0% chance compared to a 10% chance that much different for a $100,000 difference?

Now, a scholarship evening the field with UF/FSU that has a reasonable chance at retention at UM, now we're cooking.
I know a lot of unknown factors exist. . . .i.e., grades, the economic conditions in 2014, etc.

Nevertheless, if you were looking at a $200K debt for a top 10 law school, factored in with a likelihood of a $160K BigLaw income―what amount on scholly money would you need from U Miami to even the debt playing field‒ estimating Mid-Law might pay $90K?

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:55 am

FMaze wrote: I know a lot of unknown factors exist. . . .i.e., grades, the economic conditions in 2014, etc.

Nevertheless, if you were looking at a $200K debt for a top 10 law school, factored in with a likelihood of a $160K BigLaw income―what amount on scholly money would you need from U Miami to even the debt playing field‒ estimating Mid-Law might pay $90K?
Despite the general perceptions of lawyers, I will never make a career choice based on money. I say this because my priorities are skewed differently than many. Where I practice and my work:life ratio is more important to me than the difference between $160,000 and $90,000.

Anyways, if I am interpreting the question correctly, I first and foremost look at the area I want to practice. I will operate under the assumption that it is south Florida. If you are accepted into a top 10 school, I feel confident saying you are looking at a substantial scholarship. Hypothetically, we will say $24,000/year, no stipulations, as that number seems to be the going rate. That leaves us looking at about $65,000-$75,000 in debt. The pros in UM's favor is certainly the cost and location. Given that one wants to practice in south Florida, they can begin making connections at the onslaught of their schooling. This can go a long way in securing a job. Also, it is fair to assume that this person is rather intelligent and driven, seeing as they were accepted to a top 10 school. Should this person have what seems like a good chance at finishing at the top of the class, I believe there is reasoning behind a strong consideration for Miami. If I know for certain I only want to practice in Miami for the rest of my career, I would probably take Miami. If I am interested in being able to pursue other opportunities outside of south Florida, a top 10 school would serve you well.

Edit: I disregarded the part about a strong shot at making $160,000. Way too big a gamble for my tastes, although I am certainly risk-averse.

energizer

New

Post by energizer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks again for your insightful response. Im confused, however, about 2 points that you made actually three. First and foremost, you mentioned the top 10 ranking. What school were you referring to? Not UM. Second, you stated that one of the pros of UM was their tuition. I think that its a bit high. Thirdly, how did you get waitlisted at UM but admitted to FSU and expect to get into UF. LSN for UM are much less stringent for UM. Indeed, I dont even have a chance at UF but have a strong consider for UM. Thanks again for your time spent on this crucial matter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”