U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by uwgbluedevil » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:08 am

In as of Dec. 28th. Does anyone know if they send scholarship info afterwards?

skirschner1

New

Post by skirschner1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:17 am

uwgbluedevil wrote:In as of Dec. 28th. Does anyone know if they send scholarship info afterwards?
Indeed they do. Dont feel like looking up my dates but I was admitted around the beginning of December. I got an email a few weeks after letting me I got a scholarship (but not telling me how much) and then the letter a week after of the exact amount. 160/3.5x - 24,000/year.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Placed on hold will review again prior to April 30th. 164/2.9. Surprised.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:36 pm

In today via email then status checker!

RooksWS6

New

Post by RooksWS6 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi all! I applied earlier this week and haven't heard anything yet of course. Miami is my first choice so I'm checking my email hourly! :) I was wondering how UM is with splitters. I am a 167/2.5. The low GPA is due to a very poor first attempt at college. I took a few years off and since my return my GPA is a 3.6. Not sure that will make a difference but
I'm hoping!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BSJ921

New

Post by BSJ921 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:29 pm

3.10 160 applied in September accepted early November
Would I have any shot at scholarships?

thanks!

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 pm

In as of this morning at 2:50am!! haha that is one early e-mail.

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:Hi all! I applied earlier this week and haven't heard anything yet of course. Miami is my first choice so I'm checking my email hourly! :) I was wondering how UM is with splitters. I am a 167/2.5. The low GPA is due to a very poor first attempt at college. I took a few years off and since my return my GPA is a 3.6. Not sure that will make a difference but
I'm hoping!
Good luck Rooks! Here are the statistics from last year. Congrats on the great LSAT score. There aren't very many people who had your numbers last year.. but somebody with a 168/2.55 was WL'ed. Did you happen to mention in your PS that Miami was your #1 choice? That might help. http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Intraining

Bronze

Post by Intraining » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Pretty decent source here. Thoughts on the curve?

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skirschner1

New

Post by skirschner1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Intraining wrote:Pretty decent source here. Thoughts on the curve?

--LinkRemoved--
I really dont know much about curves during 1L, but this seem to be pretty fair/generous to me, right? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

streetlight

New

Post by streetlight » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:58 am

I was accepted on 11/5, with a 160/3.3 but haven't heard anything about scholarships. Am I waiting in vain? Or do I have a shot at some $?

FMaze

New

Post by FMaze » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:14 am

I just finished visiting Miami and I Love South Florida. I had been there a couple of times as a pre-teen, did the Aquarium, Zoo, Beaches, etc. This was my first visit as someone with a driver’s license and who could patronize Joe’s Stone Crab, South Beach, the Grove, etc.

To my surprise I just received an acceptance to the U Miami. This acceptance was unexpected because a month ago I had to withdraw all my applications (including the one to U Miami) due to an ED acceptance at a T14 school.

With an ED acceptance, I expect I would be paying [near] sticker. On the other hand, with a 3.9―165 I believe U Miami would step up $$$. The research I’ve recently seen says a U Miami law degree is gold in [South] Florida.

Aside from the dilemma regarding the ED, it seems silly to go deep into debt at a northern school in hopes of working in South Florida. I suppose this post gets down to, if you wanted to live in South Florida, “what would you do?” U Miami or T14?

yepyep

New

Post by yepyep » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:59 am

RooksWS6 wrote:Hi all! I applied earlier this week and haven't heard anything yet of course. Miami is my first choice so I'm checking my email hourly! :) I was wondering how UM is with splitters. I am a 167/2.5. The low GPA is due to a very poor first attempt at college. I took a few years off and since my return my GPA is a 3.6. Not sure that will make a difference but
I'm hoping!
Im in with a 165/2.7 about two weeks after I applied, so you should be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:04 am

FMaze wrote:I just finished visiting Miami and I Love South Florida. I had been there a couple of times as a pre-teen, did the Aquarium, Zoo, Beaches, etc. This was my first visit as someone with a driver’s license and who could patronize Joe’s Stone Crab, South Beach, the Grove, etc.

To my surprise I just received an acceptance to the U Miami. This acceptance was unexpected because a month ago I had to withdraw all my applications (including the one to U Miami) due to an ED acceptance at a T14 school.

With an ED acceptance, I expect I would be paying [near] sticker. On the other hand, with a 3.9―165 I believe U Miami would step up $$$. The research I’ve recently seen says a U Miami law degree is gold in [South] Florida.

Aside from the dilemma regarding the ED, it seems silly to go deep into debt at a northern school in hopes of working in South Florida. I suppose this post gets down to, if you wanted to live in South Florida, “what would you do?” U Miami or T14?

From everything I have heard, Miami severely limits your ability to work anywhere OTHER than South Florida. And even competing with grads from UF makes it difficult to be "guaranteed" a job. Also, their scholarships come with strict GPA requirements [unless you get a full ride, from what I have seen on their website]. Miami is also much more that all the nice places you have visited, and it can get to be a giant headache. I would say you would be crazy to not go with the T 14. If anything, just move to Miami once you can enjoy all the nice stuff without needing to travel outside of South BEach.

Concept

New

Post by Concept » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:50 am

govorett wrote:
FMaze wrote:I just finished visiting Miami and I Love South Florida. I had been there a couple of times as a pre-teen, did the Aquarium, Zoo, Beaches, etc. This was my first visit as someone with a driver’s license and who could patronize Joe’s Stone Crab, South Beach, the Grove, etc.

From everything I have heard, Miami severely limits your ability to work anywhere OTHER than South Florida. And even competing with grads from UF makes it difficult to be "guaranteed" a job. Also, their scholarships come with strict GPA requirements [unless you get a full ride, from what I have seen on their website]. Miami is also much more that all the nice places you have visited, and it can get to be a giant headache. I would say you would be crazy to not go with the T 14. If anything, just move to Miami once you can enjoy all the nice stuff without needing to travel outside of South BEach.
UMiami is very valuable in the Miami-Dade/Broward Metropolitan area, particularly if you want to go into MidLaw. It will also sneak you into Tampa and Orlando if your grades and resume are stellar enough to compete against the UF and FSU grads.

nicole88

Bronze

Post by nicole88 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 am

how long has it been taking everyone to receive their decision?

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 am

Concept wrote:
govorett wrote:

UMiami is very valuable in the Miami-Dade/Broward Metropolitan area, particularly if you want to go into MidLaw. It will also sneak you into Tampa and Orlando if your grades and resume are stellar enough to compete against the UF and FSU grads.

Still, she got into Michigan. Obviously, with a stellar transcript you have more options...but considering that the economy is not doing well and Florida is really not doing well- it doesn't make sense.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

southernsnapp

New

Post by southernsnapp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Just wondering, how do they determine gpa requirements for scholarships? Someone mentioned they have a 3.2 requirement for the scholarship. I got 20k/year with only a 2.5 requirement.

Swanky

New

Post by Swanky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:17 pm

southernsnapp wrote:Just wondering, how do they determine gpa requirements for scholarships? Someone mentioned they have a 3.2 requirement for the scholarship. I got 20k/year with only a 2.5 requirement.
I'm not sure if there's a GPA requirement to get a scholarship. I know there's a certain GPA you have to maintain to keep that scholarship. I think that's a 3.2.

southernsnapp

New

Post by southernsnapp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Swanky wrote:
southernsnapp wrote:Just wondering, how do they determine gpa requirements for scholarships? Someone mentioned they have a 3.2 requirement for the scholarship. I got 20k/year with only a 2.5 requirement.
I'm not sure if there's a GPA requirement to get a scholarship. I know there's a certain GPA you have to maintain to keep that scholarship. I think that's a 3.2.
When you say 'that' scholarship, which scholarship are you talking about?

cmk

New

Post by cmk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:10 pm

I got an email inviting me to interview for the Miami Scholars. Anyone else? They already offered me 24k/year, if I got the Scholars extra it would really bump Miami up on my list.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swflgirl

New

Post by swflgirl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Hey all, I was accepted early in December but have heard nothing in the way of scholly info. Should I be worried?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:52 pm

nope. I was accepted early November and didn't get my scholly info until right before christmas.

rockyIV

New

Post by rockyIV » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:11 pm

i was accepted the second week of december and got the same email

Swanky

New

Post by Swanky » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:22 pm

cmk wrote:I got an email inviting me to interview for the Miami Scholars. Anyone else? They already offered me 24k/year, if I got the Scholars extra it would really bump Miami up on my list.
I had an interview and was selected. However, I don't think they add scholarships together. I think they take the greatest of whatever you're offered, if that makes sense. Let me know if you hear differently.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”