U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dmac8889

New

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by dmac8889 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:12 pm

I was planning on Miami, and had paid both deposits. However, I just got pulled off Pitt's wait list, so I will be withdrawing from Miami in the next few days once I get the official acceptance letter from Pitt. Good luck to everyone here on the UM waitlist, and I hope one of you gets my spot.

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:03 am

Chants wrote:In off the waitlist today. 3.36/159

Good luck to everyone still waiting.
You still considering UM?

Chants

Bronze

Post by Chants » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:10 am

No, I withdrew. I couldn't turn down the $ at peer schools for sticker @ UM (no matter how awesome living in so. Fl. For 3 yrs sounds).

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Anyone know if there has been WL movement this week?

law school?

New

Post by law school? » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:03 pm

TT09 wrote:Anyone know if there has been WL movement this week?
Still on the WL here.

Anyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iceman389

Bronze

Post by Iceman389 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Anyone take a look at the choices for the elements course? Not sure which way to go with the choices. Also if any current students have any thoughts on these professors?

Dean White (only one without a final but a 50 page paper and PowerPoint presentation instead and involves A LOT of research it seems)
Professor Doyle
Professor Abraham
Professor Widen
Professor Anderson
Professor Stotzky

hatteras1

New

Post by hatteras1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 am

Iceman389 wrote:Anyone take a look at the choices for the elements course? Not sure which way to go with the choices. Also if any current students have any thoughts on these professors?

Dean White (only one without a final but a 50 page paper and PowerPoint presentation instead and involves A LOT of research it seems)
Professor Doyle
Professor Abraham
Professor Widen
Professor Anderson
Professor Stotzky

Dean White's section is a lot of research, but you can be successful. It's also helpful that the class rarely ever meets, so it is up to you to complete the paper. You also have about two weeks to complete it after all of your final exams are over. Sucks to work on a paper when everyone else is done, but it works out well in the end. It's one less exam to worry about. Be advised that you will have to work with other students, which can create problems for some people. And you do not get to pick who you work with, it is arranged by the alphabet. The paper is also not a classic exercise in legal writing-- she wants an entertaining story. If you feel confident in finding a case and interviewing everyone involved, then writing about it in some entertaining and interesting fashion, this is the Elements class for you.

Professor Widen is usually a contracts Professor. This is a wild-card Elements class. He is EXTREMELY monotone, but does actually want his students to succeed. It's hit or miss-- half the class will love him, half the class won't be able to stand him. My guess is this will be an elements class heavily focused upon contracts.

Professor Anderson is amazing, but also I've heard he is VERY difficult for Elements. I took him for another class (elective) and loved him. Demands a lot from his students, and will put people on the spot (cold call). I learned the most from his elective class my second semester, much more than any of the other core classes I took. Another Professor that not everyone loves. I've heard that those who took his Elements class refuse to take his Elective based upon their experience in Elements.

I wouldn't personally take Stotzky. I've heard if you can get your hands on an outline for his class, and attend Dean's Fellows Sessions, you will be okay.

Overall, they're all going to be tough. Don't stress about it too much, no one's Elements class will be a breeze. And, it's something to bond over. It just depends really on what type of evaluation you want-- paper, exam, etc. Good luck!

ChiCubs14

Bronze

Post by ChiCubs14 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:37 pm

Thank you for the info ^

Iceman389

Bronze

Post by Iceman389 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:09 pm

ChiCubs14 wrote:Thank you for the info ^
+1 thank you very much. Now I don't have to put the professor's names on a dartboard and throw darts at them blindfolded.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hatteras1

New

Post by hatteras1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Iceman389 wrote:
ChiCubs14 wrote:Thank you for the info ^
+1 thank you very much. Now I don't have to put the professor's names on a dartboard and throw darts at them blindfolded.
HA that's always a good thing. PM me if you guys have other questions-- can't guarantee I'll be able to answer them but I'll try!

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:53 am

Iceman389 wrote:Anyone take a look at the choices for the elements course? Not sure which way to go with the choices. Also if any current students have any thoughts on these professors?

Professor Doyle
Professor Abraham
Professor Widen
Professor Anderson
Professor Stotzky
I liked the sound of Widen's class. Hoping for that one!

Miami?

New

Post by Miami? » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:20 am

Anyone still following this thread that might be able to answer some Qs for the next round of admitted students?

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:26 am

I just posted in the 2015 thread. You can go ahead and ask some questions over there if you want.

EDIT:

Can't promise I'll check back here too often though.. We're right in the middle of finals.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Miami?

New

Post by Miami? » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:21 am

SixStrings11 wrote:I just posted in the 2015 thread. You can go ahead and ask some questions over there if you want.

EDIT:

Can't promise I'll check back here too often though.. We're right in the middle of finals.
thanks Sixstrings and GOOD LUCK!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”