U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rman1201

Silver

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by rman1201 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Intraining wrote:So is anyone planning on accepting their scholarship package?
Probably not here - 24k.

LawBound11

Bronze

Post by LawBound11 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:43 pm

flgator10 wrote:
LawBound11 wrote:Add me to that new status list, too. Here's to hoping we don't have to wait too terribly long to find out what it means.
I really hope we hear something soon. It's still early, so I'm hoping for some good news. Why would they reject us before the first seat deposit is even due?
Really hoping for some good news for all of us!

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Visited yesterday, it's beautiful. I'll be at UM if FSU or Wake don't come through. Looked the the apartments close and wasn't impressed. Wanted to get a condo in Coral Gables (like 10-15 from campus) if anyone is interested in this too, shoot me a PM. I'm from FL my whole life but I don't know any UM students.

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:32 am

Applied 2/20 and havent heard a word from them at all. no email, no call... should I be worried? Everyone else responded within 2-3 days

SunDevil07

New

Post by SunDevil07 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:19 pm

For those on hold, who then moved to "View Admissions Documents Needed", log into the website and then click on this link: https://myum.miami.edu/Admissions/Accep ... Letter.asp

I just got waitlisted, and it hasn't been updated on the 'Check Admission Status' page, but shows on the above link. I'm disappointed, I thought I would get into Miami and I was excited about going there. Maybe there will be more cancellations then expected.

Good luck to all!

Edit: For those on hold who then get waitlisted, would you/did you send another LOCI if you already sent one when you got put on hold? I assume that it's probably a good thing, but I just wanted to see what others are doing or have done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RAB

Bronze

Post by RAB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:54 pm

I got the wait-list letter too when clicking the link.

FrOhara1213

New

Post by FrOhara1213 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:04 pm

RAB wrote:I got the wait-list letter too when clicking the link.
+1. Better than a rejection I suppose.

always206

New

Post by always206 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Wait listed via link. I went ahead and filled out the form to remain on the list. Anyone familiar with the likelihood of people being pulled off the wait list? Based on what I've read on TLS and LSN, a ton of people withdrawal Miami acceptances. Therefore, it would seem as if we have a shot.

I submitted a LOCI immediately after my initial "hold" status. However, I am going to send another letter/supplemental essay asap. Can't hurt? Right?

This really sucks. My fiancées secured a nursing job in the area. If accepted to Miami, then I would immediately secure a deposit -hence it wouldn't be an acceptance followed by a withdrawal.

Waiting... all.. over... again.. Great!

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Ugh! Why are they waitlisting everyone so early? I thought they'd at least wait until after April 15th to see how many seat deposits they get. Really disappointed. :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

always206

New

Post by always206 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:50 pm

flgator10 wrote:Ugh! Why are they waitlisting everyone so early? I thought they'd at least wait until after April 15th to see how many seat deposits they get. Really disappointed. :cry:

You were wait listed I assume?

I wish I know how many of those "accepted" last year, according to LSAC, were off of the WL.

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:52 pm

always206 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:Ugh! Why are they waitlisting everyone so early? I thought they'd at least wait until after April 15th to see how many seat deposits they get. Really disappointed. :cry:

You were wait listed I assume?

I wish I know how many of those "accepted" last year, according to LSAC, were off of the WL.
Yep, I was waitlisted too. Sent a LOCI, another letter of recommendation, attached an addendum, and even visited. Guess I could send another LOCI but I don't have much else to say.

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Does Miami wait list a lot? My numbers are not great but I think some people with similar numbers are getting wait listed...

always206

New

Post by always206 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:21 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:Does Miami wait list a lot? My numbers are not great but I think some people with similar numbers are getting wait listed...

I think so. It sure does seem that way. Miami should have an infomercial instead. Only 2,000 people are eligible for admission! However, the first 500 who secure a deposit are in! Call and secure a deposit in the next 3 minutes and receive a free Lebron Jersey, beach towel, and spf 30 sunblock!* Shipping and handling is $100 dollars!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

always206

New

Post by always206 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 pm

always206 wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:Does Miami wait list a lot? My numbers are not great but I think some people with similar numbers are getting wait listed...

I think so. It sure does seem that way. Miami should have an infomercial instead. Only 2,000 people are eligible for admission! However, the first 500 who secure a deposit are in! Call and secure a deposit in the next 3 minutes and receive a free Lebron Jersey, beach towel, and spf 30 sunblock!* Shipping and handling is $100 dollars!

You have been selected as an alternate for admission to The University of Miami School of Law. We regret that the keen competition for seats in this fall's entering class makes it impossible for us to grant you admission at this time.
If you wish to be retained on our wait-list, please click here to complete the form. If you do not respond, we will assume that you do not wish to be retained on the wait-list.

As space becomes available and we are therefore able to offer you admission to the class, we will notify you promptly.

Sincerely,

Michael L. Goodnight
Assistant Dean of Admissions

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 pm

always206 wrote:

hahaha! Love this! I really don't understand Miami's admission standards. I know someone who got in who did absolutely nothing in college but drink and smoke pot, made up half the stuff on his resume and personal statement, but he got in because his LSAT score was a few points higher than mine, even though I have a much higher GPA. But if that's the kind of people they are looking for, good for them. I guess working my ass off for four years to maintain an almost perfect gpa, graduating with honors and awards, and being involved in community service and extracurricular activities means nothing to Miami.

LawBound11

Bronze

Post by LawBound11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Add me to the new batch of people added to the WL, too.

I'm trying to figure out what I could write in an LOCI; also, to those that did the additional LOR, did you mail it in? I already asked my mentors for LORs though and submitted most of them to UM; I assume I need a brand new LOR as we're advised to sign the rights away from our LORs submitted through LSAC. I'm not quite sure where to start re: an additional LOR; any advice would be appreciated.

Stardaze22

New

Post by Stardaze22 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:48 pm

yep and add me......damn

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:57 pm

LawBound11 wrote:Add me to the new batch of people added to the WL, too.

I'm trying to figure out what I could write in an LOCI; also, to those that did the additional LOR, did you mail it in? I already asked my mentors for LORs though and submitted most of them to UM; I assume I need a brand new LOR as we're advised to sign the rights away from our LORs submitted through LSAC. I'm not quite sure where to start re: an additional LOR; any advice would be appreciated.
I actually emailed in an additional LOR, which is what I was told to do when I called. I wasn't able to submit any more through LSAC but fortunately, one of my recommenders had also sent me an email copy, and the lady I spoke with over the phone told me that it would be fine to email it. I also tried contacting LSAC to see if there was any way to send another letter and they said that they couldn't send another letter unless Miami requested it, so can maybe try calling Miami and asking them if there is a way to do that. Otherwise, if asking for new letters, maybe it would be better to just avoid going through LSAC, but again, might want to double check with Miami on that one because I feel like they say something different every time I talk to them.

always206

New

Post by always206 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Tomorrow I am going to call, ask to speak to admissions, and see if I can fly down for an interview or an open house.. I am not playing around.. however, this past August, for my birthday, was an amazing time in South Beach. Ha! Maybe I should have mentioned that in my PS.

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:09 pm

always206 wrote:Tomorrow I am going to call, ask to speak to admissions, and see if I can fly down for an interview or an open house.. I am not playing around.. however, this past August, for my birthday, was an amazing time in South Beach. Ha! Maybe I should have mentioned that in my PS.
Good idea. Please let me know what they say. Maybe we should all just show up at their law day with seat deposits :lol:

always206

New

Post by always206 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:11 pm

flgator10 wrote:
always206 wrote:Tomorrow I am going to call, ask to speak to admissions, and see if I can fly down for an interview or an open house.. I am not playing around.. however, this past August, for my birthday, was an amazing time in South Beach. Ha! Maybe I should have mentioned that in my PS.
Good idea. Please let me know what they say. Maybe we should all just show up at their law day with seat deposits :lol:

My best friend said I should mail them a $1,000 check titled, "seat deposit." That way, if they cash it, then I am in! If not, they sure as heck know I am not playing around! Ha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:12 pm

always206 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:

My best friend said I should mail them a $1,000 check titled, "seat deposit." That way, if they cash it, then I am in! If not, they sure as heck know I am not playing around! Ha
I wrote in my LOCI that they are my top choice and that I would immediately send in a seat deposit if accepted, but I guess they didn't care.

always206

New

Post by always206 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:16 pm

flgator10 wrote:
always206 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:

I wrote in my LOCI that they are my top choice and that I would immediately send in a seat deposit if accepted, but I guess they didn't care.

Me too. I need to get Lebron to write me a letter.

debili123

New

Post by debili123 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi everyone, I can't check my status. Do you guys know a link that I can use to check my status.

Thanks

always206

New

Post by always206 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:17 pm

debili123 wrote:Hi everyone, I can't check my status. Do you guys know a link that I can use to check my status.

Thanks

When did you submit your application? You should have received an email stating your application was complete, followed by an email containing a CaneID. Did you receive such email?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”