U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawBound11

Bronze

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by LawBound11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:37 pm

RAB wrote:is it bad to reply to the waitlist offer if you haven't even received notification by their system yet and was only able to see that letter via the link provided on here?
I'm waiting until I get official notice. I'm curious why it's taking a while to get the actual notices updated, though.

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Justathought wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:Can anyone explain why Miami dropped so far? And is it that big of a deal really? They jumped 11 the year before. It seems like there are constant fluctuations in the rankings. Should I be worried if I go here?
No its really not a big deal. Only a few points separate it from the schools ranked in the upper 50s and low 60s. It honestly means nothing. However, with that being said, and despite how badly I want to live and work in Miami, the market down there is terrible and the school is too expensive.

I'm as sad about this as anyone. :cry:
Exactly this. The incredibly high cost is what is making me very hesitant to send in my seat deposit, and extremely hopeful that I can get an acceptance to UF and/or FSU. The only good thing is I read that Miami's tuition is frozen.. so you'll likely be paying the same thing in 3L as you did in 1L without worrying about increases. Then again, that initial amount is nothing to dance about.

beachviolet11

Bronze

Post by beachviolet11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Justathought wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:Can anyone explain why Miami dropped so far? And is it that big of a deal really? They jumped 11 the year before. It seems like there are constant fluctuations in the rankings. Should I be worried if I go here?
No its really not a big deal. Only a few points separate it from the schools ranked in the upper 50s and low 60s. It honestly means nothing. However, with that being said, and despite how badly I want to live and work in Miami, the market down there is terrible and the school is too expensive.

There were a few notable drops this year. I think it has to do with USNAWR new policy on reporting employment after graduation. A lot of schools were finding ways to fudge those number (hiring their own graduates, reporting someone working at starbucks as employed, etc.) and USNWR said they were going to crack down on that and give more emphasis on the real number. Miamis number off the ranking is now 50 something % employment at graduation. i think thats what did it, as it did for a lot of schools like emory.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:52 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Exactly this. The incredibly high cost is what is making me very hesitant to send in my seat deposit, and extremely hopeful that I can get an acceptance to UF and/or FSU. The only good thing is I read that Miami's tuition is frozen.. so you'll likely be paying the same thing in 3L as you did in 1L without worrying about increases. Then again, that initial amount is nothing to dance about.
BTW, when I visited I talked to financial aid and she said that the tuition freeze is going to be lifted for 2011. They will increase tuition.

fdr123

New

Post by fdr123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:55 pm

Yes I saw the same thing. The employment rate is very low at UM. It is 59 after 9 months of graduation which is a terribble stat. Especially since most of us are going to law school to get hired and make big $. I wouldnt waste too much time with UM since it seems that FSU amd UF are dominating the rankings in Florida.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:12 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

BTW, when I visited I talked to financial aid and she said that the tuition freeze is going to be lifted for 2011. They will increase tuition.
More good news. Wonderful.

EDIT: Are you sure? According to abovethelaw (--LinkRemoved--), Miami stated their tuition freeze will remain in place for the 2011-2012 year.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
More good news. Wonderful.

EDIT: Are you sure? According to abovethelaw (--LinkRemoved--), Miami stated their tuition freeze will remain in place for the 2011-2012 year.
I'm 99% sure that's what the lady from fin aid told me. Maybe she is wrong though?

Franco Columbu

New

Post by Franco Columbu » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:14 pm

For those of you who haven't read this yet, you definitely should.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

Some of the things mentioned in this article could be a reality for most UMiami grads, is anyone else as concerned as I am?

always206

New

Post by always206 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:43 pm

LawBound11 wrote:
RAB wrote:is it bad to reply to the waitlist offer if you haven't even received notification by their system yet and was only able to see that letter via the link provided on here?
I'm waiting until I get official notice. I'm curious why it's taking a while to get the actual notices updated, though.

Probably a wise idea; however, if you fill it out before the official notice, then you could get a huge jump on the competition if the list is in order of response. Mind you, I am not suggesting you do that. Personally, I wouldn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

debili123

New

Post by debili123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Just called admissions at UM to check on my status, the reply was that my status is change and in week or so i will get an letter that will tell me about my status.
I don't know, should I be worried, that she didn't tell me whats my status? or its a standard thing to do? :(

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:29 pm

debili123 wrote:Just called admissions at UM to check on my status, the reply was that my status is change and in week or so i will get an letter that will tell me about my status.
I don't know, should I be worried, that she didn't tell me whats my status? or its a standard thing to do? :(
its probably standard. I would call e-mail the dean of admissions if you are dying for a response.

SunDevil07

New

Post by SunDevil07 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:41 pm

debili123 wrote:Just called admissions at UM to check on my status, the reply was that my status is change and in week or so i will get an letter that will tell me about my status.
It's probably standard, you can always keep an eye on: https://myum.miami.edu/Admissions/Accep ... Letter.asp and see if that changes.

Also, for those who were wary of using the link, I won't tell you what to do, but this has been a reliable source in the past, and I personally chose to respond to the waitlist asap for any potential benefit it might gain me.

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:For those of you who haven't read this yet, you definitely should.

Some of the things mentioned in this article could be a reality for most UMiami grads, is anyone else as concerned as I am?
I am, and as a Florida resident and 24k/yr scholly recipient, I will NOT be attending UMiami this fall.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:13 pm

With all this money everyone is giving back, UM better not pull any bullshit by saying they don't have anymore funds to give. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

jamiLAW

Bronze

Post by jamiLAW » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:For those of you who haven't read this yet, you definitely should.

It is a scary idea to be in that situation, but I guess that's the reality of the legal field. People tend to act like a law degree is a coupon for a $100k/year+ job, when in reality, people have to work hard and make good decisions to be on the higher end of the pay scale...or to even get a job as a practicing lawyer.

But maybe one of those decisions is not attending a school that is charging more and more, yet having worse and worse statistics. (I'm looking at you, Miami!) I know that, personally, I applied to University of Miami just because I was interested in living in Miami, but I have decided not to attend.

jutanski

New

Post by jutanski » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

got a letter that i've been placed on the waiting list :evil: can't believe it...what are the odds of getting accepted after being placed on the waiting list? anybody know?

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:05 am

jutanski wrote:got a letter that i've been placed on the waiting list :evil: can't believe it...what are the odds of getting accepted after being placed on the waiting list? anybody know?
I officially got the letter too. In the past, I don't think chances of getting off the waitlist were that great. But it seems this year, they decided to waitlist everyone very early, so I'm hoping our chances are better, considering the first seat deposit isn't even due until April 15th. (unless they have already had an unusually large number of people put down seat deposits already)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:11 am

Withdrawing tomorrow. Hope one of you guys get my spot.

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:08 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Withdrawing tomorrow. Hope one of you guys get my spot.
^times two. I'll be withdrawing as well. Passing on spot and money to one of you TLS guys, I hope.

always206

New

Post by always206 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:27 am

Official WL notification this morning around 4am. However, I knew that already... Due to the acceptance letter link..

Why?!!?! Just accept me or deny me!

RaspberryBeret

New

Post by RaspberryBeret » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Withdrew today. I had a scholarship offer for 24k per year, so don't let them tell you they're out of money!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

valentina5

New

Post by valentina5 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:32 pm

RaspberryBeret wrote:Withdrew today. I had a scholarship offer for 24k per year, so don't let them tell you they're out of money!
yea but financial aid said during one of their chat sessions w/admitted students that they award more money than they actually have cause they know not everyone awarded will attend...so they don't anticipate awarding those that haven't gotten money...i mean this could change depending on several factors...but just putting it out there what financial aid said...

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:58 pm

As much as I agree with the tone of this article, and as much as I advise against Miami(despite desperately wishing it was a viable option), the person in focus in this article is clearly an idiot.

First of all, I'm pretty sure for whatever reason - timing, private lenders, debt consolidation - this person is not taking advantage of the government's IBR (income based repayment) option. This is a plan that makes loan repayment, even with massive debt, feasible - provided you have some type of job.

Now, if I recall correctly, this guy doesn't have a job, so that point is essentially moot. Let's explore one factor which might, just might, influence his struggles in finding legal employment:

He went to Thomas Jefferson, a fourth tier school located in SAN DIEGO and is looking for work in NEW YORK CITY. Come on, we all know the job market is rough out there for recent grads, but the New York Times couldn't have picked a person more likely to struggle in the NYC job market. I doubt things are rosy for TJSL grads in San Diego, but this guy's intended career path borders on the absurd.

Edit: scratch that, his intended career path is absurd. Its freaking ridiculous. I don't know why after graduation, moving to NY seemed like a good idea. I just can't understand why he isn't pounding the pavement in San Diego where at least some people will have actually heard of his law school.

Additional Disclaimer: This post is in no way intended to serve as recommendation for The University of Miami School of Law.

Franco Columbu

New

Post by Franco Columbu » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:09 pm

I agree with you. They usually do a good job of finding the biggest idiot to talk about in these types of articles. I didn't pay so much attention to the Thomas Jeff grad, what got me concerned was everything else including the UFlorida grad.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:I agree with you. They usually do a good job of finding the biggest idiot to talk about in these types of articles. I didn't pay so much attention to the Thomas Jeff grad, what got me concerned was everything else including the UFlorida grad.
I agree with you too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”