U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gokickrocks

Bronze

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by gokickrocks » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:50 am

Quick sidenote, I re-watched the 30 for 30 on "The U" today and made me glad that I applied here. Best of luck to everyone!

overyourhead

New

Post by overyourhead » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:38 pm

streetlight wrote:I'm sitting at a 3.2/160, what do you guys think my chances are here? Miami is one of my top choices and I sent my app in on 10/10 if it matters.
IMO (as a fellow applicant, admittedly), the odds are certainly in your favor. If I were you, I wouldn't sweat it. Plus, you submitted early. Another factor in your favor. And isn't the 75%ile score a 159-160?

thriller21986 wrote:3.3/165...I realize I will get in....But will I get $? That is going to be a deciding factor, as I like everything else about the school.
Oh more than likely you will! I say this based on what I've been told by alumni who now have ties to the school, recruit students for their firm, etc. I don't remember the exact number... it was something like 163-164. I do know that it was definitely below 165. I feel you, though. Miami is my #1 choice since I prefer to live and practice in this area, but money will ultimately be the deciding factor.

Two questions:

1. They don't start reviewing apps until mid-November according to their website. So is there any advantage to submitting now vs waiting until, say, the first week of November? Between now and mid-Nov, what happens? Miami receives your stuff from LSAC, issues you an ID number, and basically acknowledges they have all of your info? When they say "reviewing," does that mean they're not going through apps until then, or not making decisions until then? Waaay overthinking this.

This brings me to my second question:

2. I've completed my app, have all of the EA's ready to go, etc. I'm just waiting for LSAC to receive my LORs. One was sent on 10/25. The other first thing this morning-- 10/27. I realize it will be a few weeks (2? 3?) before LSAC has them.

Should I hold off on submitting my app until they're in? If I submit now, Miami would only be getting my app, EA's, and 2 online eval's (from my same LOR writers). I don't want them to think I *won't* be later submitting my LORs, and then process my app as if that were the case... to my disadvantage, I imagine. I'm also waiting for Nov 1st when my LSAT score is released, but I'm not worried about it.

Should I hold out? Assuming it takes LSAC takes 3 weeks to upload my LORs (meaning Nov 17th-- so mid-Nov.), would I be putting myself at a huge disadvantage by waiting to submit until then? Miami's my top choice, so obviously I desperately want an acceptance, but $$ is also a major consideration.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:06 pm

overyourhead-
submitting early is an advantage regardless of when apps begin to be read. the reason is because, as you know, admission to a law school is based on other candidates. meaning, if everyone else that applied was below your credentials then you would be accepted (excludes YP). the earlier you submit your application, the less amount of people who will be looked at ahead of you (most schools read them in the order they were submitted). this means, more seats available with less competition (at the time).

also, I have no idea what an EA is. If Miami takes evaluations, then I would send what you have if you think itll take a while. you could end up behind the october LSAT takers, which would put you at a huge disadvantage as compared to being in before them, IMO.

overyourhead

New

Post by overyourhead » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I hadn't considered that apps would be reviewed in the order in which they were submitted. Now I'm thinking I should just go ahead and submit. Too bad there isn't anywhere to indicate my LORs are to come.

And by EA, I meant electronic attachments-- resume, PS, addenda, etc.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:34 pm

applied off fee waiver. it's a possibility if i get close to a full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:44 pm

overyourhead wrote:Ah, I see. That makes sense. I hadn't considered that apps would be reviewed in the order in which they were submitted. Now I'm thinking I should just go ahead and submit. Too bad there isn't anywhere to indicate my LORs are to come.

And by EA, I meant electronic attachments-- resume, PS, addenda, etc.
You can always send in more stuff and update if you think its necessary! BTW, keeping an LOR in your pocket is kind of a good idea anyways if your #s indicate you may get waitlisted.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:59 am

I feel like I'm posting this everywhere [and kind of am] but its true. haha. I plan on applying to Miami also but am waiting on my last LoR to hurry up and surface. All is ready and I just want to get on my freaking cycle already.

overyourhead

New

Post by overyourhead » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:53 pm

I know what you mean. The waiting game is a painful one. One of my former profs told me it would take 8-12 wks to write a "very very very short" letter. 3 very's. I think he said he could only do one paragraph, too. I had to move along.

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm getting in the game. Submitted today!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:36 pm

jr1886 wrote:I'm getting in the game. Submitted today!
#s? :D

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:15 am

Barbie wrote:
jr1886 wrote:I'm getting in the game. Submitted today!
#s? :D
3.3 GPA, waiting on my new LSAT score today. will post later

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:17 pm

I just want to hear from one school just so I can know I'm in somewhere. I can't handle checking every single one of my status checkers twenty times a day... :cry:

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:26 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:I just want to hear from one school just so I can know I'm in somewhere. I can't handle checking every single one of my status checkers twenty times a day... :cry:
I'm really weird and I make a chart for EVERYTHING.. so I have an admissions decision date chart, so I know when to start checking status checkers. That way I don't waste my time.

jr- update?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:29 pm

Barbie wrote:
SixStrings11 wrote:I just want to hear from one school just so I can know I'm in somewhere. I can't handle checking every single one of my status checkers twenty times a day... :cry:
I'm really weird and I make a chart for EVERYTHING.. so I have an admissions decision date chart, so I know when to start checking status checkers. That way I don't waste my time.

jr- update?
Are you inferring that I'm wasting my time? ... Just kidding. Yea, the only ones I really check are UF, FSU, and UM. I only started checking UF once I realized some applications were under review. I check FSU since some people (including yourself) have already heard, and I check UM since as a current student I need to log on to myUM pretty consistently for other reasons.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:33 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

jr- update?
Are you inferring that I'm wasting my time? ... Just kidding. Yea, the only ones I really check are UF, FSU, and UM. I only started checking UF once I realized some applications were under review. I check FSU since some people (including yourself) have already heard, and I check UM since as a current student I need to log on to myUM pretty consistently for other reasons.
haha :oops: I don't check any. TLS will tell me when they are up ;)

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:41 pm

Barbie wrote: haha :oops: I don't check any. TLS will tell me when they are up ;)
Well I commend you for your patience. I'm sure if I can just get in somewhere I'll calm down a little bit. My LSAT has me anxious.

rockylo88

New

Post by rockylo88 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:53 pm

As I live in Miami, I'll be applying this week.

3.35 GPA (Stupid FIU not giving A+s) Econ/Phi
161 LSAT

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 am

Barbie I Pm-ed you

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:12 am

rockylo88 wrote:As I live in Miami, I'll be applying this week.

161 LSAT
I feel the same way. UF doesn't give A+ either and I believe that hurts my GPA

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:40 am

Barbie wrote:

jr- update?

Would you mind sharing your chart?? I am driving myself nuts checking the status checkers :?

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:29 pm

jr1886 wrote:
rockylo88 wrote:As I live in Miami, I'll be applying this week.

161 LSAT
I feel the same way. UF doesn't give A+ either and I believe that hurts my GPA

+1. I went there for a period and the A pluses would have come in pretty handy for classes such as dinos and wildlife issues. Oh well. :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Requested that my app be placed on hold while I retake my 167 from October. Really disappointed that I have to retake, but oh well. Guess I'll finally go complete in January :(

Hope I still get in...

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:28 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Requested that my app be placed on hold while I retake my 167 from October. Really disappointed that I have to retake, but oh well. Guess I'll finally go complete in January :(

Hope I still get in...

Uh, is there a reason why you are holding your application for UM to retake a 167? That score is significantly above their median and I am sure you would get in....Is your GPA really bad??

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:31 pm

Neo wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Requested that my app be placed on hold while I retake my 167 from October. Really disappointed that I have to retake, but oh well. Guess I'll finally go complete in January :(

Hope I still get in...

Uh, is there a reason why you are holding your application for UM to retake a 167? That score is significantly above their median and I am sure you would get in....Is your GPA really bad??
I was going to ask the same thing. Unless your GPA is absolutely terrible, Miami would gladly accept a 167.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:41 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:
Neo wrote:

Hope I still get in...

I was going to ask the same thing. Unless your GPA is absolutely terrible, Miami would gladly accept a 167.
My GPA is a 2.44. I think "absolutely terrible" is a pretty good description.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”