University of Houston 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby A12345 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:11 pm

bartleby wrote:when are we going to find out about tuition? this is pissing me off.


Tuition is posted under the main site

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby A12345 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:16 pm

http://www.uh.edu/financial/graduate/tu ... /index.php

That figure does not include any fees. I would expect 30000 a year

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Mon May 09, 2011 4:05 pm

waiting for that figure to be official

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby anni » Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 pm

As a waitlisted applicant, is sending updated transcripts pretty much required? I am nervous to because I got a D- in a non-major 1 credit hour class, and possibly a C+ (my school uses + & -). I also got 5 As, but is it worth sending or will it hurt more than help?

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby A12345 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:24 pm

bartleby wrote:waiting for that figure to be official


Do you need it in blood or something lol? A grand or two either way is a drop in the hat haha

bgreen89
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bgreen89 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:31 pm

A12345 wrote:
bartleby wrote:waiting for that figure to be official


Do you need it in blood or something lol? A grand or two either way is a drop in the hat haha


+1

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby craneje » Mon May 09, 2011 10:06 pm

anni wrote:As a waitlisted applicant, is sending updated transcripts pretty much required? I am nervous to because I got a D- in a non-major 1 credit hour class, and possibly a C+ (my school uses + & -). I also got 5 As, but is it worth sending or will it hurt more than help?


I don't know if you are required to send transcripts and, while there are people on this thread who might know, I would recommend calling the admissions office to make sure you have the correct information. If you don't have to send the transcripts maybe you should just send your revised gpa. Assuming that your classes are 3 credits each (except the 1 credit D-), then you have 15 credits x 4.0; 3 credits of 2.3; and 1 credit of 1.0 (or 0.7?) for a final gpa of ~3.6, which is a solid gpa. Also, this ~3.6 represents only 19 credits of your cumulative gpa, so it probably won't make much of a difference. If you do have to send your transcripts, then you'll have another opportunity to express your interest as part of your explanation of your grades. Best of luck!

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby brose » Tue May 10, 2011 8:46 am

I 99% expect those figures to change. If incoming 1L's paid 26k per year, and now they are 2L's, according to that 2012 table, their tuition is 22k/yr... law school tuition never goes down... lol.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Tue May 10, 2011 10:39 am

BLOOD.

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby A12345 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:45 am

brose wrote:I 99% expect those figures to change. If incoming 1L's paid 26k per year, and now they are 2L's, according to that 2012 table, their tuition is 22k/yr... law school tuition never goes down... lol.


Did you not read what I immediately wrote after that? Those hourly tuition rates do not include ANY fees. U of H fees along with the law school fees were like 4k to 5k last year.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby brose » Tue May 10, 2011 11:06 am

A12345 wrote:
brose wrote:I 99% expect those figures to change. If incoming 1L's paid 26k per year, and now they are 2L's, according to that 2012 table, their tuition is 22k/yr... law school tuition never goes down... lol.


Did you not read what I immediately wrote after that? Those hourly tuition rates do not include ANY fees. U of H fees along with the law school fees were like 4k to 5k last year.


Yeah, I read what you wrote. Damn - calm down. I think it's gonna be 30-31K (with your beloved fees), which is ridiculous but I guess it's lower than other schools.

UHPT
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby UHPT » Tue May 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Just read this thread and now I am pretty freaked out. I got my application in very late, April 5th to be exact and i got waitlisted on the 19th. My status has not changed and i dont really know what would be considered strong numbers but i have 3.3 GPA (BBA and an MS) and a 158 LSAT score.

I didnt even know about the LOCI so I am going to send out one today...thanks for posting comments about that, it was very helpful. is there anything specific we have to write about? I have not gotten anything official in mail, so should ijust write a general LOCI?

Good luck to everyone!

oh and I am a PT applicant..

dragonr1835
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby dragonr1835 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:09 pm

I am in almost the exact same situation. 3.32/160 and part-time. I was waitlisted a couple weeks ago but just received a letter in the mail. It doesn't say much but it is worth waiting for before you send in the LOCI as it gives some instruction.

Apparently, it will be awhile before we hear anything as the PT deadline is May 15 and each application is given a full review.

UHPT
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby UHPT » Tue May 10, 2011 3:23 pm

dragonr1835 wrote:I am in almost the exact same situation. 3.32/160 and part-time. I was waitlisted a couple weeks ago but just received a letter in the mail. It doesn't say much but it is worth waiting for before you send in the LOCI as it gives some instruction.

Apparently, it will be awhile before we hear anything as the PT deadline is May 15 and each application is given a full review.


thank you for giving me a heads up :)

youre definitely in better shape than me......good luck!
Last edited by UHPT on Tue May 10, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UHPT
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby UHPT » Tue May 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Okay so it says under "Status" my current status is Decision Rendered- Waitlisted and Current Status Date: 4/19/2011

it also says my Decision Letter Mailed 04/28/2011 under "Mailings"

so is this the letter telling me i have been waitlisted and instruction for the LOCI right? please say yes :/

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby anni » Tue May 10, 2011 4:48 pm

UHPT wrote:Okay so it says under "Status" my current status is Decision Rendered- Waitlisted and Current Status Date: 4/19/2011

it also says my Decision Letter Mailed 04/28/2011 under "Mailings"

so is this the letter telling me i have been waitlisted and instruction for the LOCI right? please say yes :/


It's your waitlist letter, and if it's the same as the one for FT then it just says "If you have additional materials that you would like the committee to consider, such as an updated resume or statement of continued interest(LOCI), you may send these materials to lawadmissions@UH.edu"

dragonr1835
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby dragonr1835 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:51 pm

It is the same. If the thread from last year is any indicator, be prepared to wait with us awhile.

Razorback2010
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Razorback2010 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 pm

anni wrote:As a waitlisted applicant, is sending updated transcripts pretty much required? I am nervous to because I got a D- in a non-major 1 credit hour class, and possibly a C+ (my school uses + & -). I also got 5 As, but is it worth sending or will it hurt more than help?


I'm a 1L and I didn't send them my final transcript November. Don't worry about it.

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Tue May 10, 2011 9:46 pm

Can you post link from last year's waiting thread?

i<3ny
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby i<3ny » Tue May 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Just got off the waitlist to the FT program. Got the email this afternoon and I'm SO excited! Good luck to everyone else on the WL.

User avatar
steviejanowski
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby steviejanowski » Wed May 11, 2011 12:01 am

i<3ny wrote:Just got off the waitlist to the FT program. Got the email this afternoon and I'm SO excited! Good luck to everyone else on the WL.


Congratulations and If you don't mind me asking. What are your stats? Houston is my #1 choice at the moment and I'm still on the WL.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby brose » Wed May 11, 2011 8:23 am

steviejanowski wrote:
i<3ny wrote:Just got off the waitlist to the FT program. Got the email this afternoon and I'm SO excited! Good luck to everyone else on the WL.


Congratulations and If you don't mind me asking. What are your stats? Houston is my #1 choice at the moment and I'm still on the WL.


it's in their profile: 161, 3.4

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Mce252 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:50 am

i<3ny wrote:Just got off the waitlist to the FT program. Got the email this afternoon and I'm SO excited! Good luck to everyone else on the WL.



Did your status checker update as well?

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 am

When did you first go on the waitlist? i.e. how long before you got off the waitlist? :) CONGRATS!!!!

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby upfish » Wed May 11, 2011 11:29 am

i<3ny wrote:Just got off the waitlist to the FT program. Got the email this afternoon and I'm SO excited! Good luck to everyone else on the WL.


+1!!! =D STOKED

Edit: for reference, I was WL'd in January.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”