University of Houston 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ETJ13
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby ETJ13 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:57 pm

Yeah, I read the same thing. :cry:

Even some of the schools that I got denied at said the same thing in their letters. Don't know if that's the same stuff they spew every year though.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Mce252 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:57 pm

lucygirl wrote:I heard UH (along with a lot of other schools, I'm assuming) had double the applications this year, and admitted a lot of FT applicants into the PT program... which I guess screws the PT applicants over. Don't know if this is true but it would make sense.



Double the applications compared to last year? That seems a little extreme.

I haven't heard any cases of that happening except that some full-time waitlisted applicants were admitted into the part-time program last year. They haven't even started considering waitlisted applications this year so I don't know if that's true.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby upfish » Thu May 05, 2011 5:01 pm

Mce252 wrote:
lucygirl wrote:I heard UH (along with a lot of other schools, I'm assuming) had double the applications this year, and admitted a lot of FT applicants into the PT program... which I guess screws the PT applicants over. Don't know if this is true but it would make sense.



Double the applications compared to last year? That seems a little extreme.

I haven't heard any cases of that happening except that some full-time waitlisted applicants were admitted into the part-time program last year. They haven't even started considering waitlisted applications this year so I don't know if that's true.


According to the US News thing from earlier in the year, only CU saw an uptick in apps, so.

h0peful
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:40 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby h0peful » Thu May 05, 2011 5:01 pm

FT Applicant
FIR 4/12
FIR 5/3
Waitlisted 5/5.

WOW!! I am so surprised - I thought for sure I'd be rejected. 3.0/152

Pray I get in off the waitlist yall!! Even if its for PT!

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Thu May 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Awesome!! Congrats!!! Did you get an email?

h0peful
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:40 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby h0peful » Thu May 05, 2011 5:04 pm

TexasGE wrote:Awesome!! Congrats!!! Did you get an email?


No, just checked status checker

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby brose » Thu May 05, 2011 6:05 pm

lucygirl wrote:I heard UH (along with a lot of other schools, I'm assuming) had double the applications this year, and admitted a lot of FT applicants into the PT program... which I guess screws the PT applicants over. Don't know if this is true but it would make sense.


I don't think it necessarily screws over PT people... it just makes it more competitive for the applicant group as a whole, which is better for the school in the long run.

msav8751
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:21 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby msav8751 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi all,
Long time lurker here...just got waitlisted at the end of April and received snail mail confirmation today, stats are 160/2.85 at large Texas University with decent softs. I've already placed a seat deposit at S. Texas and have been really excited about it. I thought for sure that I would be rejected from U of H, so I was surprised about the waitlist. Keepin' my fingers crossed and hope the best of luck to everyone.

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Thu May 05, 2011 7:55 pm

What does the snail mail say for the wait-list? Do they request specific info?

msav8751
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:21 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby msav8751 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:04 pm

TexasGE wrote:What does the snail mail say for the wait-list? Do they request specific info?


The University of Houston Law Center Admissions Committee has had the opportunity to evaluate your credentials for the 2011 Full time entering class. The committee has placed you on our waitlist. The list is comprised of strong applicants who will be considered for admission at the end of the process should additional class seats become available. Waitlist consideration typically begins in late spring or early summer and continues through August.

I understand you may have to make other educational plans blah blah blah...If you have additional materials that you would like the committee to consider, such as an updated resume or a statement of continued interest, you may send these materials to the above email address as well./

I plan on sending the so called statement of continued interest and possibly a recommendation form my current employer (part-time). Not sure if it will make much of a difference, but I figure its worth a shot.

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Thu May 05, 2011 8:21 pm

msav8751 wrote:
TexasGE wrote:What does the snail mail say for the wait-list? Do they request specific info?


The University of Houston Law Center Admissions Committee has had the opportunity to evaluate your credentials for the 2011 Full time entering class. The committee has placed you on our waitlist. The list is comprised of strong applicants who will be considered for admission at the end of the process should additional class seats become available. Waitlist consideration typically begins in late spring or early summer and continues through August.

I understand you may have to make other educational plans blah blah blah...If you have additional materials that you would like the committee to consider, such as an updated resume or a statement of continued interest, you may send these materials to the above email address as well./

I plan on sending the so called statement of continued interest and possibly a recommendation form my current employer (part-time). Not sure if it will make much of a difference, but I figure its worth a shot.


Thanks for posting!! :)

msav8751
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:21 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby msav8751 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:54 pm

No problem

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Thu May 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Just read on the 'Admitted Students Page' on the website that they would start enrolling accepted part time students in their schedules in April and that the new student orientation for part timers was in Mid-May....what?? What about the students who have not heard anything and who are waitlisted?

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu May 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Just got wait listed as well. I have some stronger numbers than some of the other posters but still didn't think my chances were that good. I'm thinking a lot of people got wait listed, this does not sound good for us. Anyone got dinged recently?

merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby merc280 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:15 am

yeah I got dinged today. Was in review twice, app complete date first week of january.

lucygirl
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby lucygirl » Fri May 06, 2011 8:05 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:Just got wait listed as well. I have some stronger numbers than some of the other posters but still didn't think my chances were that good. I'm thinking a lot of people got wait listed, this does not sound good for us. Anyone got dinged recently?


yeah, i got dinged yesterday afternoon and I had some stronger numbers (barely!) than some PT applicants i've seen on here who got waitlisted! I had a 3.19 and 156.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby upfish » Fri May 06, 2011 9:10 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:Just got wait listed as well. I have some stronger numbers than some of the other posters but still didn't think my chances were that good. I'm thinking a lot of people got wait listed, this does not sound good for us. Anyone got dinged recently?


I'm hoping that we got YP'd and get in from the list.

pinklawgirl30
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:24 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby pinklawgirl30 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:49 pm

I got waitlisted today for the part-time program today.

153- LSAT
3.6- GPA

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sat May 07, 2011 2:06 am

I went to Houston for undergrad and all of my friends applied to Houston, most ended up going to south Texas or out of the area but several of them were waitlist and admitted so there is hope... one of them had 151 and was admitted 2 days before classes

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sat May 07, 2011 2:07 am

upfish wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:Just got wait listed as well. I have some stronger numbers than some of the other posters but still didn't think my chances were that good. I'm thinking a lot of people got wait listed, this does not sound good for us. Anyone got dinged recently?


I'm hoping that we got YP'd and get in from the list.


Umm why are you not going to Colorado?

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby upfish » Sat May 07, 2011 1:55 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
upfish wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:Just got wait listed as well. I have some stronger numbers than some of the other posters but still didn't think my chances were that good. I'm thinking a lot of people got wait listed, this does not sound good for us. Anyone got dinged recently?


I'm hoping that we got YP'd and get in from the list.


Umm why are you not going to Colorado?


SO w/great job here who can annihilate COL from the list of things I have to go into debt for. Also, I can be on the working board of a charity with several lawyers, have lots of connections, etc.

Love the CU "prestige," but not the $100k+ of debt and the uprooting of all the stuff I've built here. =/

User avatar
king lear
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby king lear » Sat May 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Early admit finally checking in, I'll be at UH in the fall.

bigghen05
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:18 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bigghen05 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Is there a facebook group for the class of 2014 for the University of Houston Law Center?

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby brose » Mon May 09, 2011 1:24 pm

bigghen05 wrote:Is there a facebook group for the class of 2014 for the University of Houston Law Center?


There's an admitted students group... It starts with "U. Houston" so it's kind of hard to find. The information is on the admitted students section of the site. Just be sure to join the 2011 one and not the 2010 one it says to join...

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Mon May 09, 2011 3:10 pm

when are we going to find out about tuition? this is pissing me off.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Keilz, laqueredup, studyingeveryday and 22 guests