University of Houston 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lancer
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby lancer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Im in the MBA now trying to get into the JD to do the joint program. The typical joint program is 4 years since they cut about 30 hours of classes out if you do the degrees together. You either do the 1st year as a MBA or a JD, and then you switch for the 2nd year. Then the 3rd and 4th year you do a mix of MBA and JD classes.

You do have to get admitted to each school individually, so you will have to take the GMAT as well and submit another application to the b-school.

User avatar
Josh the Goat
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Josh the Goat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:47 pm

gonzonater wrote:Does anyone have any info on the jd/MBA program? I talked to one of the 2Ls on asd and she told me that she's doing it and finishing in 3 years

I'm guessing you talked to Tamecia. There are several people pulling off the JD/MBA in 3 years. You have to take summer classes, but it seems like it's definitely manageable, just need to plan your schedule really well. Up to 12 hours of your JD can be taken in other graduate programs at UH, so combine that with several summer classes and you can pull it off. Don't expect to work too much though if you want it all done in 3 years.

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby craneje » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:01 am

Has anyone with multiple 'in review' dates heard anything yet?

My file: IR 3/9, 4/5, & 4/7

org_chemist
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby org_chemist » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:10 pm

craneje wrote:Has anyone with multiple 'in review' dates heard anything yet?

My file: IR 3/9, 4/5, & 4/7


IR 3/11, 4/1. Dinged about 30 min ago. Wasn't a surprise with my numbers and being OOS.

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby craneje » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:23 pm

org_chemist wrote:
craneje wrote:Has anyone with multiple 'in review' dates heard anything yet?

My file: IR 3/9, 4/5, & 4/7


IR 3/11, 4/1. Dinged about 30 min ago. Wasn't a surprise with my numbers and being OOS.



What rotten news! Sorry. A decision still hasn't been made on my application, so my fingers are still crossed. Are you planning to attend a different school or will you wait for next cycle? Also, what is "OOS"?

org_chemist
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby org_chemist » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:36 pm

craneje wrote:
org_chemist wrote:
craneje wrote:Has anyone with multiple 'in review' dates heard anything yet?

My file: IR 3/9, 4/5, & 4/7


IR 3/11, 4/1. Dinged about 30 min ago. Wasn't a surprise with my numbers and being OOS.



What rotten news! Sorry. A decision still hasn't been made on my application, so my fingers are still crossed. Are you planning to attend a different school or will you wait for next cycle? Also, what is "OOS"?


Sitting out a cycle, so I can retake the LSAT. OOS = out of state. Good luck to you!

dey206
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby dey206 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:12 pm

WAITLISTED!!!!!!!!!!

glad to get a response and see they read my application. I was in review 3/11 and then 4/1.

longhornlaw
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby longhornlaw » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:35 pm

dey206 wrote:WAITLISTED!!!!!!!!!!

glad to get a response and see they read my application. I was in review 3/11 and then 4/1.


This is the first time I've seen someone happy to be waitlisted. Congrats!

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby craneje » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:45 pm

org_chemist wrote:
craneje wrote:
org_chemist wrote:
craneje wrote:Has anyone with multiple 'in review' dates heard anything yet?

My file: IR 3/9, 4/5, & 4/7


IR 3/11, 4/1. Dinged about 30 min ago. Wasn't a surprise with my numbers and being OOS.



What rotten news! Sorry. A decision still hasn't been made on my application, so my fingers are still crossed. Are you planning to attend a different school or will you wait for next cycle? Also, what is "OOS"?


Sitting out a cycle, so I can retake the LSAT. OOS = out of state. Good luck to you!


Thank you! I wish you the best of luck with the LSAT and your cycle next time around.

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:46 pm

WOO HOO!!! There is movement. Congrats :)

I have not even gone into review yet. Hoping next week I will reach that step!

User avatar
LawBound11
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby LawBound11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Dinged today.

Good luck to those of you still waiting!

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby anni » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:21 pm

LawBound11 wrote:Dinged today.

Good luck to those of you still waiting!


When did you go IR?

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:29 pm

can some current students talk about how hard it is to maintain a 2.9?

UH came through for me and i'll be depositing once this is explained

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Just sent in my withdrawal letter. GL to everyone who is waiting in the wings

dey206
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby dey206 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:16 pm

longhornlaw wrote:
dey206 wrote:WAITLISTED!!!!!!!!!!

glad to get a response and see they read my application. I was in review 3/11 and then 4/1.


This is the first time I've seen someone happy to be waitlisted. Congrats!


lol after your app is in review for months depending on the school you just dont care any more. I still had a "what if" in the back of my head so I am glad I can move forward with deciding.

bumbumbum87
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bumbumbum87 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:22 pm

I got waitlisted for their part time program :(

Anyone know how hard it is to get accepted off the waitlist? My numbers aren't all that great so I'm happy I didn't get flat out rejected (150, 3.63).

notthatgirl14
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby notthatgirl14 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:09 pm

Went IR a few days ago. At this point I'd just like an answer (however if the law school gods are reading this, I'd prefer a positive answer) I'm not too terribly optimistic, My GPA was just ok and my LSAT was rather tragic.

Still...Closure is a good thing.

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby craneje » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:07 am

I received the wonderful news of being admitted yesterday! I have to send my deposit by 4/25--I think I'll wait until I receive the formal letter via snail mail. So, there is hope for other late applications. My file was complete (for full time) 2/10; IR 3/9, 4/5, 4/7; accepted 4/8. I wish everyone still waiting to hear (or still waiting to decide) the best of luck.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Mce252 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:36 am

bumbumbum87 wrote:I got waitlisted for their part time program :(

Anyone know how hard it is to get accepted off the waitlist? My numbers aren't all that great so I'm happy I didn't get flat out rejected (150, 3.63).



It's hard to say. You could try and look at lsn, but I haven't seen much waitlist data for part-time applicants.

lancer
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby lancer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Would people with recent decisions mind posting their numbers to give us people still waiting some clue how what are chances might be?

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby craneje » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:13 pm

lancer wrote:Would people with recent decisions mind posting their numbers to give us people still waiting some clue how what are chances might be?


I was accepted 4/8 (2/10 complete, 3/9, 4/5, 4/7 IR): LSAT 161; GPA 3.78 (3.88). I wish you the best of luck and hope you hear good news soon.

User avatar
Josh the Goat
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Josh the Goat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:01 pm

bartleby wrote:can some current students talk about how hard it is to maintain a 2.9?

Here's the link to the current class standings.
To maintain a 2.9 you need to have better scores than about 25% of the law school. So roughly a 1/4 of the students won't maintain a 2.9. GPA takes into consideration whether or not a grade you receive has a + or a -. So the GPA breaks down such that a A = 4.0, A- = 3.666, B+ = 3.333, B = 3.0, B- = 2.777 etc.

So to maintain a 2.9, you need to make at least a B in everything, and you can still make a B- in one or two classes.

Study hard and you'll be fine.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:
bartleby wrote:can some current students talk about how hard it is to maintain a 2.9?

Here's the link to the current class standings.
To maintain a 2.9 you need to have better scores than about 25% of the law school. So roughly a 1/4 of the students won't maintain a 2.9. GPA takes into consideration whether or not a grade you receive has a + or a -. So the GPA breaks down such that a A = 4.0, A- = 3.666, B+ = 3.333, B = 3.0, B- = 2.777 etc.

So to maintain a 2.9, you need to make at least a B in everything, and you can still make a B- in one or two classes.

Study hard and you'll be fine.


Houston it is.

User avatar
scutarius
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby scutarius » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:36 pm

IR Today. If I am accepted, I hope they don't ask for a deopsit by the 15th. Does anyone know if there are any more ASD scheduled?

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby brose » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:15 pm

scutarius wrote:IR Today. If I am accepted, I hope they don't ask for a deopsit by the 15th. Does anyone know if there are any more ASD scheduled?


There's one in July...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Bob loblaw law blog, cyclawps, genjustice, joezze, Mlk&Ckies, mm2368, MSNbot Media, OptimusPrime, patrickkpaul, Pomegranate27 and 35 guests