University of Houston 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby brose » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:12 am

I got shut out of negotiations with schollies from wake and w & m... this doesnt help my decision! lol

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 am

Mce252 wrote:
bartleby wrote:i would think car intruders would be more likely to break into cars they can easily access rather than go into a building to break into a car.

regardless - as much as i hate UH's campus your probability of getting your car broken into w/out ur laptop in the backseat is probably similar to parking it at a mall or a supermarket parking lot.



I agree. If you leave something to steal, eventually it will be stolen whether you're in River Oaks or the Third Ward.


When I was younger and an idiot (freshman year in college), I left my laptop in the backseat at the Galleria doing NBA All Star weekend. I count my blessings everyday because my window wasn't smashed and it wasn't stolen.

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Yeah, unfortunately I learned the hard way with this. I was parked at the BW3's in the Village with my ipod in full view - smashed window, stolen ipod. I learned my lesson. I also have been attending UH for the past 3 years and have never had an issue - just don't leave valuables in plain view :wink:

lokist86
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby lokist86 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:38 pm

Just heard back from UH regarding my scholly negotitation. It's been increased from $5k a year to $10k a year. I know they went up a bit in ranking this year and they are still the best law school in Houston, but I still think I deserve a bit more, merit-wise. Would it be in poor form to try negotiating some more?

Suggestions please!

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:59 pm

I would take the $10K and run! :lol: But, seriously, go with your gut - if you think your deserve more and can write a great email explaining that, I don't see the harm. The worst that can happen is they say, no. :wink:

deepspacenine
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:26 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby deepspacenine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:44 am

lokist86 wrote:I submitted an e-mail to Dean Jamie(?) to negotiate my scholarship amount roughly 2 days ago. Today, I received an e-mail from her reminding me to apply for FAFSA and need-based financial aid. Is she trying to hint at something to me? ;p


Did you email the Dean's listed email on the site? Also did you attach the letter in a Word doc or just write it in the email? Thanks! Congrats on your scholly increase :)

lokist86
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby lokist86 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:32 am

deepspacenine wrote:
lokist86 wrote:I submitted an e-mail to Dean Jamie(?) to negotiate my scholarship amount roughly 2 days ago. Today, I received an e-mail from her reminding me to apply for FAFSA and need-based financial aid. Is she trying to hint at something to me? ;p


Did you email the Dean's listed email on the site? Also did you attach the letter in a Word doc or just write it in the email? Thanks! Congrats on your scholly increase :)


Thanks! :) I emailed this addy: JHammers@Central.UH.EDU. Also, I just wrote my letter in the body of the email; no attachment.

Hope that helps!

TortoiseshellCat
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TortoiseshellCat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:50 am

I submitted transcripts to LSAC from Fall '10 that were processed (by LSAC) in early March. Do you think I should call the schools to ask about that or do the schools get an automatic update from LSAC?

P.S. Has anyone heard any news yet?

aquyenl
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby aquyenl » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Just got a boost from 10k a yr to 15k a yr plus a one time 5k fellowship. I'd definitely try to negotiate. Dean Jamie replied back in less than 24 hrs.

i<3ny
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby i<3ny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Has anyone from the waitlist heard anything recently?

txag10
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby txag10 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:54 pm

i<3ny wrote:Has anyone from the waitlist heard anything recently?


I talked to them; won't hear anything until the summer months, all the way into August.

i<3ny
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby i<3ny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

txag10 wrote:
i<3ny wrote:Has anyone from the waitlist heard anything recently?


I talked to them; won't hear anything until the summer months, all the way into August.


That's surprising! I thought they'd let some ppl in after the April deposits roll in/ or don't roll in.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:39 pm

i<3ny wrote:
txag10 wrote:
i<3ny wrote:Has anyone from the waitlist heard anything recently?


I talked to them; won't hear anything until the summer months, all the way into August.


That's surprising! I thought they'd let some ppl in after the April deposits roll in/ or don't roll in.



They aren't due until April 15th. They will need some time to sort out the number of available seats. That puts us pretty much in May before they can even begin to send anything out.

User avatar
txsunshine
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby txsunshine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:03 pm

Never got a separate letter re: scholarship information. Just sent an e-mail inquiring as to whether I should be expecting that letter or if I was simply not chosen for any merit scholarships. Hope to hear back soon as SMU's deposit deadline is next weekend.

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:10 pm

I applied part time....still no news. Deadline for part time isnt until May - any idea when part timers started hearing news? I am tired of waiting!

deepspacenine
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:26 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby deepspacenine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:23 pm

I'll be at the ASD tomorrow and was thinking it is too bad we don't have a TLS handshake to recognize each other.

And good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! Positive thoughts for y'all :D

User avatar
TJISMYHERO
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TJISMYHERO » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:52 pm

deepspacenine wrote:I'll be at the ASD tomorrow and was thinking it is too bad we don't have a TLS handshake to recognize each other.

And good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! Positive thoughts for y'all :D


Me too! I'm at the Hilton on campus, I took a walk around campus tonight. There were tons of people out, maybe I'm ignorant of what is going on around me, but it seemed pretty safe to me. I actually like the campus, maybe that's because I'm used to state schools. See some of you tomorrow, although I won't know who you are!

User avatar
Josh the Goat
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Josh the Goat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 am

The law center is on the south-east side of campus, somewhat further away from the third ward than the other resident dorms are located. Still, I would not be walking around late on a weekend night on the north side of campus.

Ask about anticipated tuition increases. Chances are you guys are going to face some substantial hikes with all the education cuts going on in the state legislature. 1L's tuition went up nearly 20% last year alone. I'd imagine they're going to pull something similar on you nearly every year until you graduate.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:34 am

Josh - didn't the 1Ls get a better deal though than the 0Ls?

I'm not positive - I just always thought that's how it worked. So if a 1L had to pay 20k the first year, they only had to pay a bit more but nothing like the 26k charged to 0Ls?

User avatar
Josh the Goat
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Josh the Goat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:22 am

If I'm remembering correctly, the tuition for the current 1L's increased around 19% from the previous years tuition, while tuition for continuing students only increased 9% or 10%. However, that may not always be the case. I'm just glad I'm graduating and I can start paying off all the debt. :(

DongLei
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby DongLei » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Is the area around campus really that bad? Several people have told me that I really don't want to live around campus, but none of them have actually gone to UH. Just looking online, rents are pretty cheap just around campus (maybe too cheap), but it would be nice to save money and be able to walk/bike to class at the same time. Anyone have any insight? Calhoun lofts would obviously be the closest option but rent is around $800 a month, whereas around UH rents are in the $400-$600 range.

If UH campus is that bad, where would be a good place to start looking at places?

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:38 pm

DongLei wrote:Is the area around campus really that bad? Several people have told me that I really don't want to live around campus, but none of them have actually gone to UH. Just looking online, rents are pretty cheap just around campus (maybe too cheap), but it would be nice to save money and be able to walk/bike to class at the same time. Anyone have any insight? Calhoun lofts would obviously be the closest option but rent is around $800 a month, whereas around UH rents are in the $400-$600 range.

If UH campus is that bad, where would be a good place to start looking at places?


Okay. DO NOT LIVE IN THE UH AREA. It is like the projects.

$400 a month? If it is too good to be true, it isn't. Calhoun Lofts is a nice building in a shit hole. Think of it as the prettiest turd in the toilet. Don't f-ing walk or bike. Car or GTFO.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:38 pm

bartleby wrote:
DongLei wrote:Is the area around campus really that bad? Several people have told me that I really don't want to live around campus, but none of them have actually gone to UH. Just looking online, rents are pretty cheap just around campus (maybe too cheap), but it would be nice to save money and be able to walk/bike to class at the same time. Anyone have any insight? Calhoun lofts would obviously be the closest option but rent is around $800 a month, whereas around UH rents are in the $400-$600 range.

If UH campus is that bad, where would be a good place to start looking at places?


Okay. DO NOT LIVE IN THE UH AREA. It is like the projects.

$400 a month? If it is too good to be true, it isn't. Calhoun Lofts is a nice building in a shit hole. Think of it as the prettiest turd in the toilet. Don't f-ing walk or bike. Car or GTFO.


I went to UH, PM me if you need to.

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:22 pm

bartleby wrote:
bartleby wrote:
DongLei wrote:Is the area around campus really that bad? Several people have told me that I really don't want to live around campus, but none of them have actually gone to UH. Just looking online, rents are pretty cheap just around campus (maybe too cheap), but it would be nice to save money and be able to walk/bike to class at the same time. Anyone have any insight? Calhoun lofts would obviously be the closest option but rent is around $800 a month, whereas around UH rents are in the $400-$600 range.

If UH campus is that bad, where would be a good place to start looking at places?


Okay. DO NOT LIVE IN THE UH AREA. It is like the projects.

$400 a month? If it is too good to be true, it isn't. Calhoun Lofts is a nice building in a shit hole. Think of it as the prettiest turd in the toilet. Don't f-ing walk or bike. Car or GTFO.


I went to UH, PM me if you need to.


I went to UH and totally agree - I would not live anywhere near the campus to be honest. Definitely look into the med center area too, its close and there are some great apartments. I used to live at the Promenade at Hermann Park and loved it. Plus only like 7 min to campus and very close to Rice Village, 610, 288, great location!

bigghen05
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:18 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bigghen05 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 pm

I just got waitlisted at UH. I don't think my chances of getting waitlisted will get me in at UH. I really want to go to UH but I guess I have to settle for LSU.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”