University of Houston 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TortoiseshellCat

New

Re: University of Houston 2011

Post by TortoiseshellCat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 pm

merc280 wrote:
TexasGE wrote:any recent admits/waitlists/dings? This wait is killer.

is your file under review? Mine is still complete since january.
Seriously? How can some people's go from File Complete to In review in a couple of weeks? That's what happened to me. I went complete late february and under review March 9. And why is it that some people's take forever?

anni

Bronze

Post by anni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 pm

TortoiseshellCat wrote:
merc280 wrote:
TexasGE wrote:any recent admits/waitlists/dings? This wait is killer.

is your file under review? Mine is still complete since january.
Seriously? How can some people's go from File Complete to In review in a couple of weeks? That's what happened to me. I went complete late february and under review March 9. And why is it that some people's take forever?

Mine was complete 1/18, and now "file in review" 2/17. Reeeeally hoping for a decision this week but doubt I will get that lucky.

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:10 pm

That's weird that it is taking some people so long. I applied 2/20, went complete 2/25 and received a decision 3/11.

TortoiseshellCat

New

Post by TortoiseshellCat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:15 pm

irishvt14 wrote:That's weird that it is taking some people so long. I applied 2/20, went complete 2/25 and received a decision 3/11.
Did you apply for the part-time program? 2/20 is after the deadline. And did you get in?

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:19 pm

no, I applied for the full-time program. And yes, I was accepted.

Edit: I am not sure if you were all talking about the part-time program but if so, I'm sorry! My dates would be irrelevant then!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TortoiseshellCat

New

Post by TortoiseshellCat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:50 pm

irishvt14 wrote:no, I applied for the full-time program. And yes, I was accepted.

Edit: I am not sure if you were all talking about the part-time program but if so, I'm sorry! My dates would be irrelevant then!
I wasn't talking about the part-time program. I asked you about it because you applied after the deadline for the full-time program.

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:55 pm

irishvt14 wrote:That's weird that it is taking some people so long. I applied 2/20, went complete 2/25 and received a decision 3/11.
I was wrong. I applied 2/10, complete was 2/20, in review 2/25, decision 3/15.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:04 pm

I will be withdrawing soon. Haven't received a scholarship offer and from my understanding UofH is rather stingy with money. One of my good friend's older brother is graduating from UofH this year. I am going to call him before I pull the final trigger. If anyone has a any questions they may want to ask a current 3L, post them up and I will try to remember to ask him. I hope my seat goes to someone in this thread who is still waiting!

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:15 pm

ArchRoark wrote:I will be withdrawing soon. Haven't received a scholarship offer and from my understanding UofH is rather stingy with money. One of my good friend's older brother is graduating from UofH this year. I am going to call him before I pull the final trigger. If anyone has a any questions they may want to ask a current 3L, post them up and I will try to remember to ask him. I hope my seat goes to someone in this thread who is still waiting!
Did you try to negotiate with them with your 90k?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:19 pm

brose wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:I will be withdrawing soon. Haven't received a scholarship offer and from my understanding UofH is rather stingy with money. One of my good friend's older brother is graduating from UofH this year. I am going to call him before I pull the final trigger. If anyone has a any questions they may want to ask a current 3L, post them up and I will try to remember to ask him. I hope my seat goes to someone in this thread who is still waiting!
Did you try to negotiate with them with your 90k?
No, I will probably send them a e-mail. I just find it hard to believe that they will be able to award a comparable scholarship that would lead me to seriously consider attending.

anni

Bronze

Post by anni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:47 pm

anni wrote:Any chance I'll have a decision this week since ASD is this weekend? FIR 2/17. Just wondering if they try to get more decisions out this week because of it.

lokist86

New

Post by lokist86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:04 pm

I submitted an e-mail to Dean Jamie(?) to negotiate my scholarship amount roughly 2 days ago. Today, I received an e-mail from her reminding me to apply for FAFSA and need-based financial aid. Is she trying to hint at something to me? ;p

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 pm

lokist86 wrote:I submitted an e-mail to Dean Jamie(?) to negotiate my scholarship amount roughly 2 days ago. Today, I received an e-mail from her reminding me to apply for FAFSA and need-based financial aid. Is she trying to hint at something to me? ;p
that was automated

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 pm

lokist86 wrote:I submitted an e-mail to Dean Jamie(?) to negotiate my scholarship amount roughly 2 days ago. Today, I received an e-mail from her reminding me to apply for FAFSA and need-based financial aid. Is she trying to hint at something to me? ;p
I think that's a generic email. I got that, too... but I've already done everything the email said to do.

lokist86

New

Post by lokist86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:09 pm

brose wrote:
I think that's a generic email. I got that, too... but I've already done everything the email said to do.
lol, thanks guys. good to know they might still throw me a bone...hopefully with a little meat on it. seriously, $5k a year is insultingly low.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:18 pm

lokist86 wrote:
brose wrote:
lol, thanks guys. good to know they might still throw me a bone...hopefully with a little meat on it. seriously, $5k a year is insultingly low.
U of H is stingy... ha!

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 pm

ArchRoark wrote:If anyone has a any questions they may want to ask a current 3L, post them up and I will try to remember to ask him.
I'm a current 3L at UH if anyone has any questions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:30 pm

thank god the fafsa email was automated. i thought that was the response i was getting for my negotiation email.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 pm

I still haven't gone in review, unless they started looking at my application but haven't updated the status checker page. Granted, I applied for the PT program, but still, it'd be nice to hear something.

anni

Bronze

Post by anni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Is it any easier to be admitted to the part time program? I am anticipating a rejection from full time and am trying to see if this might be an option.

LSP says consider for both programs.

TheSkipper

New

Post by TheSkipper » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:54 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:If anyone has a any questions they may want to ask a current 3L, post them up and I will try to remember to ask him.
I'm a current 3L at UH if anyone has any questions.
Howdy hey,

I'm someone who's planning on attending this fall. My seat deposit is in, and I have no other applications out.

Are the admitted student preview days something I should be interested in? I got the impression those days are designed to persuade people who are on the fence about attending, and I'm not sure I'm really the target audience. I mean this in regards to all of the things that the school invites prospective students too, not just the event this coming friday. (For example, I was also sent an email inviting me to an alumni reception at a local law firm, and to attend a few 2L classes and have coffee with professors)

On a different note, how likely is it that my car is broken into on campus? I have spoken to some people who went to UH for undergrad, and they sort of gave me the impression that I'd have to replace a few windows and that none of my belongings would be safe if I didn't take them with me.

Thank you in advance

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:53 pm

TheSkipper wrote: On a different note, how likely is it that my car is broken into on campus? I have spoken to some people who went to UH for undergrad, and they sort of gave me the impression that I'd have to replace a few windows and that none of my belongings would be safe if I didn't take them with me.

Thank you in advance
i've been at UH undergrad for four years and never had anything stolen from my car. however, i have gotten plenty of parking tickets :?

if you are concerned about theft, there is a garage parking lot you can park in.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 am

if you are concerned about theft, there is a garage parking lot you can park in.

How does the parking garage prevent theft?

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:30 am

i would think car intruders would be more likely to break into cars they can easily access rather than go into a building to break into a car.

regardless - as much as i hate UH's campus your probability of getting your car broken into w/out ur laptop in the backseat is probably similar to parking it at a mall or a supermarket parking lot.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:39 am

bartleby wrote:i would think car intruders would be more likely to break into cars they can easily access rather than go into a building to break into a car.

regardless - as much as i hate UH's campus your probability of getting your car broken into w/out ur laptop in the backseat is probably similar to parking it at a mall or a supermarket parking lot.

I agree. If you leave something to steal, eventually it will be stolen whether you're in River Oaks or the Third Ward.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”