University of Houston 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sbmr12
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:54 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby sbmr12 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:41 pm

AdlTX4 wrote:
sbmr12 wrote:Does anyone know how many people Houston usually takes from its waitlist? I know it's based upon available seats, but some schools tend to be more willing to take applicants from the waitlist than others. Houston is my first choice and I would LOVE to be admitted from the waitlist. Already sent in my LOCI. Two letters of recommendation on the way, as well.


#s?


157/3.8

lawuntoherself
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby lawuntoherself » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Congrats all those who got in.

Kyllo
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:51 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Kyllo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:20 am

long time stalker, first time poster

Does anyone know when they start looking at part-time applications? App complete date still shows 1/7

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Mce252 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Is anyone familiar with when U of H will start looking at the waitlist? I know the deposit deadline for admits is 4/15. Is it possible that they look at the waitlist at all before that date?

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby kkklick » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:23 am

UR finally.

dey206
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby dey206 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:48 am

kkklick wrote:UR finally.


did ur status checker change this weekend?

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby kkklick » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:02 am

dey206 wrote:
kkklick wrote:UR finally.


did ur status checker change this weekend?

No it was actually earlier in the week I believe Wednesday.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:17 pm

Does UH match and/or negotiate scholarships offers? I have yet to receive a scholarship offer from UH, but I was not in the first round of acceptances. Does anyone know about when the majority of scholarship offers will be sent out?

dey206
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby dey206 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:27 pm

kkklick wrote:
dey206 wrote:
kkklick wrote:UR finally.


did ur status checker change this weekend?

No it was actually earlier in the week I believe Wednesday.


thanks.

TortoiseshellCat
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TortoiseshellCat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:06 pm

Has anyone else gotten any news?

txag10
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby txag10 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:07 pm

TortoiseshellCat wrote:Has anyone else gotten any news?

Still in review (since 1/24)

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Kinderby » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:11 pm

txag10 wrote:
TortoiseshellCat wrote:Has anyone else gotten any news?

Still in review (since 1/24)

+1 (1/19!) It feels like a reeeeeeeally long month.

TortoiseshellCat
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TortoiseshellCat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 pm

txag10 wrote:
TortoiseshellCat wrote:Has anyone else gotten any news?

Still in review (since 1/24)


:( I wish I knew what went on in the admissions committee. What does "In Review" mean exactly????!!!

txag10
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby txag10 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:15 pm

TortoiseshellCat wrote:
txag10 wrote:
TortoiseshellCat wrote:Has anyone else gotten any news?

Still in review (since 1/24)


:( I wish I knew what went on in the admissions committee. What does "In Review" mean exactly????!!!


I think it means "collecting dust in a back room."

TortoiseshellCat
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TortoiseshellCat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:19 pm

txag10 wrote:
TortoiseshellCat wrote:
txag10 wrote:
TortoiseshellCat wrote:Has anyone else gotten any news?

Still in review (since 1/24)


:( I wish I knew what went on in the admissions committee. What does "In Review" mean exactly????!!!


I think it means "collecting dust in a back room."


Lol that probably sums it up...

aquyenl
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby aquyenl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:51 pm

UH, WHERE'S THE $$$???

CrimLaw300
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby CrimLaw300 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:55 pm

aquyenl wrote:UH, WHERE'S THE $$$???


+1

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Marionberry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:09 pm

aquyenl wrote:UH, WHERE'S THE $$$???


wrong thread

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bergg007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Marionberry wrote:
aquyenl wrote:UH, WHERE'S THE $$$???


wrong thread


then what is the right thread because i'm looking for info about money too

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Marionberry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:21 pm

bergg007 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
aquyenl wrote:UH, WHERE'S THE $$$???


wrong thread


then what is the right thread because i'm looking for info about money too



viewtopic.php?f=7&t=126107

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Marionberry wrote:
bergg007 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
aquyenl wrote:UH, WHERE'S THE $$$???


wrong thread


then what is the right thread because i'm looking for info about money too



http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=126107

I see what you did there.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Marionberry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:48 pm

jacketman03 wrote:I see what you did there.


:D

Admittedly, it was kind of a mean joke. I just find it kind of pathetic that the best law school in the 4th biggest city in the country can't manage to give anyone any real money to go there. Their in-state tuition used to be pretty cheap, which if you've ever visited their website was clearly their big selling point, but now with the recent tuition hikes....

It's still a good school, and reasonably priced still after the recent hikes. It just sucks to see how little cash they give out.

Razorback2010
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Razorback2010 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:14 am

sbmr12 wrote:
AdlTX4 wrote:
sbmr12 wrote:Does anyone know how many people Houston usually takes from its waitlist? I know it's based upon available seats, but some schools tend to be more willing to take applicants from the waitlist than others. Houston is my first choice and I would LOVE to be admitted from the waitlist. Already sent in my LOCI. Two letters of recommendation on the way, as well.


#s?


157/3.8


I'm a 1L at UH. I also had a 157/3.8 and was waitlisted. Over the summer I received an email with an offer to do part-time for a year with the opportunity to transfer to full-time in August that I took. I'd say about half of the people in part-time plan to transfer to full-time after 1L. I don't want to be a downer, but UH really just admits people based on LSAT. Undergrad GPA is pretty irrelevant. Luckily, most of the people who dominated the LSAT and had shitty undergrad GPAs also have shitty law school GPAs. I probably know grades for about 1/3 of the part-time section, and the people who did well (top 10%) had good undergrad records.

I really like my classmates and the law school. I'd recommend it to everyone, and I'd be happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

irenic
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby irenic » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:18 am

Razorback2010 wrote:
sbmr12 wrote:
AdlTX4 wrote:
sbmr12 wrote:Does anyone know how many people Houston usually takes from its waitlist? I know it's based upon available seats, but some schools tend to be more willing to take applicants from the waitlist than others. Houston is my first choice and I would LOVE to be admitted from the waitlist. Already sent in my LOCI. Two letters of recommendation on the way, as well.


#s?


157/3.8


I'm a 1L at UH. I also had a 157/3.8 and was waitlisted. Over the summer I received an email with an offer to do part-time for a year with the opportunity to transfer to full-time in August that I took. I'd say about half of the people in part-time plan to transfer to full-time after 1L. I don't want to be a downer, but UH really just admits people based on LSAT. Undergrad GPA is pretty irrelevant. Luckily, most of the people who dominated the LSAT and had shitty undergrad GPAs also have shitty law school GPAs. I probably know grades for about 1/3 of the part-time section, and the people who did well (top 10%) had good undergrad records.

I really like my classmates and the law school. I'd recommend it to everyone, and I'd be happy to answer questions if anyone has any.


What are the stipulations for going to full time?

Razorback2010
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Razorback2010 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:24 pm


What are the stipulations for going to full time?


Not sure. When I committed to the part-time program I said that I would only do it if they guaranteed that I could transfer to full-time, which they said was fine. I'd imagine that a significant portion of the full-time program will drop out (at least 10-15 people) because of their grades/job market, so transferring won't be an issue.

I'm between the top 5-10%, so I don't think that I will have a problem.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Harry Ass Truman, kvnrogers, lawnerd87, lillawyer2, Nickel94, premalone, ReadyToStart, XUMickeal and 14 guests