University of Houston 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bartleby

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:10 pm

ahhhhh UH please show me some loveeeeeee....

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:27 pm

I just got the scholly email. $10k per year. UH is out for me. I'll be withdrawing soon. Good luck everyone!

Josh the Goat

Postby Josh the Goat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 pm

isawhat sent me a message with these questions. I thought I'd answer them here for everyone's benefit.
What are your impressions of UH? Do you regret or not regret your decision to go there?

I don't regret going to UH, though there are probably many people that regret choosing law school right now in general. However, the tuition has also increased considerably from when I started 2 years ago. At the same time I don't think I've seen many improvements to the actual buildings or teachers since I've started. Hopefully in the coming years they'll upgrade more buildings to make the appearance of the law center much more appealing.
Why did you decide on UH in the end?

I planned on staying in the Houston area after graduating, and I knew that UH placed well in Houston. I was rejected at UT and waitlisted at SMU. LSU offered a scholarship but UH essentially matched it which was the final piece for me.
In your opinion how is the stereotypical student at UH? Is it a highly competitive atmosphere or is it more laid back?

It's hard to gauge this because there's a wide variety of law students. One course can be very different from the next one. The majority of students right now seem to not really care because most people don't have offers anyway, so they're not as competitive as I think we were during 1L. Most students seem laid back and like to get involved in clinics or student orgs.
What's your favorite things and least favorite things about UH?

Least favorite thing by far would be parking at UH. They simply overbook the lots and you'll can end up wasting half an hour trying to find a spot or just walking to the law center. But honestly that's more a university problem, and not one that the law center has control over.

If I had to pick something about the law center that I didn't like, I would probably say that tuition has spiked recently, and it doesn't look like it'll be slowing down anytime soon. For the increase in price there hasn't been enough of an increase in quality to maintain it's status as a great value law school.

Favorite thing? I guess I would say that there are plenty of great professors that are always available to meet with and discuss issues if you feel so inclined. There are a lot of activities to get involved in such as the clinics or moot court teams. The fact that the school is here in Houston also allows a lot of great connections with firms and courthouses in the city that can lead to internships and clerking positions.
Did you go into law school with an idea of what field of law you were mainly interested in? And if so did that impact your decision on which law school to go to?

I had an Undergrad in Finance and an MBA in Accounting, so I really thought I would be focusing on tax law, or at least transactional work. That really had no impact on which school I applied to though. However, my wife became pregnant at the end of my first year of law school and I shifted my focus from typical lawyer track to something that would allow for more family time after graduating. I'll be working with an oil and gas company after graduating in a non-lawyer position, but I'll be doing the same substantive work that many transactional lawyers would be doing in their careers.

isawhat

Postby isawhat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:isawhat sent me a message with these questions. I thought I'd answer them here for everyone's benefit.
What are your impressions of UH? Do you regret or not regret your decision to go there?

I don't regret going to UH, though there are probably many people that regret choosing law school right now in general. However, the tuition has also increased considerably from when I started 2 years ago. At the same time I don't think I've seen many improvements to the actual buildings or teachers since I've started. Hopefully in the coming years they'll upgrade more buildings to make the appearance of the law center much more appealing.
Why did you decide on UH in the end?

I planned on staying in the Houston area after graduating, and I knew that UH placed well in Houston. I was rejected at UT and waitlisted at SMU. LSU offered a scholarship but UH essentially matched it which was the final piece for me.
In your opinion how is the stereotypical student at UH? Is it a highly competitive atmosphere or is it more laid back?

It's hard to gauge this because there's a wide variety of law students. One course can be very different from the next one. The majority of students right now seem to not really care because most people don't have offers anyway, so they're not as competitive as I think we were during 1L. Most students seem laid back and like to get involved in clinics or student orgs.
What's your favorite things and least favorite things about UH?

Least favorite thing by far would be parking at UH. They simply overbook the lots and you'll can end up wasting half an hour trying to find a spot or just walking to the law center. But honestly that's more a university problem, and not one that the law center has control over.

If I had to pick something about the law center that I didn't like, I would probably say that tuition has spiked recently, and it doesn't look like it'll be slowing down anytime soon. For the increase in price there hasn't been enough of an increase in quality to maintain it's status as a great value law school.

Favorite thing? I guess I would say that there are plenty of great professors that are always available to meet with and discuss issues if you feel so inclined. There are a lot of activities to get involved in such as the clinics or moot court teams. The fact that the school is here in Houston also allows a lot of great connections with firms and courthouses in the city that can lead to internships and clerking positions.
Did you go into law school with an idea of what field of law you were mainly interested in? And if so did that impact your decision on which law school to go to?

I had an Undergrad in Finance and an MBA in Accounting, so I really thought I would be focusing on tax law, or at least transactional work. That really had no impact on which school I applied to though. However, my wife became pregnant at the end of my first year of law school and I shifted my focus from typical lawyer track to something that would allow for more family time after graduating. I'll be working with an oil and gas company after graduating in a non-lawyer position, but I'll be doing the same substantive work that many transactional lawyers would be doing in their careers.

Thank you so much for the detailed answers!!!

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:39 pm

graceful1 wrote:151/3.91

Applied 11/08 FT RD
Accepted 02/09 FT

Withdrew 02/15

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:41 pm

graceful1 wrote:

Applied 11/08 FT RD
Accepted 02/09 FT

Withdrew 02/15

Where else did you get in?

deusvult

Postby deusvult » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:51 pm

In today via status checker.

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Mce252 wrote:
graceful1 wrote:

Applied 11/08 FT RD
Accepted 02/09 FT

Withdrew 02/15

Where else did you get in?

Admitted to Ave Maria (withdrew), St. Mary's (withdrew) SMU PT (probably will attend), Texas Tech (withdrew) and Texas Wesleyan (withdrew) so far.
Last edited by graceful1 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cdsj

Postby cdsj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:04 pm

deusvult wrote:In today via status checker.

+1

AdlTX4

Postby AdlTX4 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:43 pm

cdsj wrote:

+1

Stats? If you don't mind my asking of course...

cdsj

Postby cdsj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:49 pm

AdlTX4 wrote:
cdsj wrote:

+1

3.37/167/TFA Alum/M.Ed./GLBT

deusvult

Postby deusvult » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:58 pm

AdlTX4 wrote:
cdsj wrote:

+1

3.3/163

AdlTX4

Postby AdlTX4 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:00 pm

deusvult wrote:
AdlTX4 wrote:
cdsj wrote:

+1

3.3/163

When did y'all submit?

cdsj

Postby cdsj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 pm

AdlTX4 wrote:
AdlTX4 wrote:
cdsj wrote:

+1

When did y'all submit?

1/18

deusvult

Postby deusvult » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:04 pm

12/16

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Congrats to those admitted today! Hope I hear back soon.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:28 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:I just got the scholly email. $10k per year. UH is out for me. I'll be withdrawing soon. Good luck everyone!

Surprised I didn't get anything myself :? Although I hear UH is pretty stingy and $10k is hardly enough to put a dent into anything.

I went UH for undergrad and right now the uproar is the MASSIVE budget shortfall that's causing giant cuts in higher education. Tuition will spike in the fall and will likely continue to do so, just fyi.

TortoiseshellCat

Postby TortoiseshellCat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Congrats to all admitted!

I have a quick question. How long did it take the status checker to go from "In Review" to letting you know if you'd been admitted/rejected?

deusvult

Postby deusvult » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Just over a month for me. I applied 12/16 but my file didn't go complete until scores came out for the December LSAT.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Been IR for almost a month now. :?

txag10

Postby txag10 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Kinderby wrote:Been IR for almost a month now. :?

+1

AdlTX4

Postby AdlTX4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:58 pm

txag10 wrote:

+1

Been IR since 1/4..............................................

sbmr12

Postby sbmr12 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:25 pm

Does anyone know how many people Houston usually takes from its waitlist? I know it's based upon available seats, but some schools tend to be more willing to take applicants from the waitlist than others. Houston is my first choice and I would LOVE to be admitted from the waitlist. Already sent in my LOCI. Two letters of recommendation on the way, as well.

AdlTX4

Postby AdlTX4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:29 pm

sbmr12 wrote:Does anyone know how many people Houston usually takes from its waitlist? I know it's based upon available seats, but some schools tend to be more willing to take applicants from the waitlist than others. Houston is my first choice and I would LOVE to be admitted from the waitlist. Already sent in my LOCI. Two letters of recommendation on the way, as well.

#s?

anni

Postby anni » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:30 pm

AdlTX4 wrote:
txag10 wrote:

+1

Been IR since 1/4..............................................

complete 1/18, just went IR a few minutes ago. hopefully the wait isn't that long :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”