University of Houston 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lonestar87
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Lonestar87 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Ok so if everyone on the wait list gets a second review then what could possibly explain the people who received date changes yet still wait listed? Does that mean they were shuffled to bottom of wait list or would you take it as a good sign? Because some people are now getting admitted with without date changes and such. This process is least to say confusing. Haha.

User avatar
jpenaonline
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby jpenaonline » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Lonestar87 wrote:Ok so if everyone on the wait list gets a second review then what could possibly explain the people who received date changes yet still wait listed? Does that mean they were shuffled to bottom of wait list or would you take it as a good sign? Because some people are now getting admitted with without date changes and such. This process is least to say confusing. Haha.



That's exactly why I found her comment interesting.

txag10
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby txag10 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks y'all. I feel, despite having planned on Tech, UH is a better option in the big picture (beyond the price tag), so yes, I should be attending.

noseinlawbook
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby noseinlawbook » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:18 pm

jpenaonline wrote:
Lonestar87 wrote:
jpenaonline wrote:Is anyone else on this board interested in U of H's health law and public policy institute?


Im interested in the energy law focus of the school. UH is highly regarded in that field.....but Houston being the energy capital of the world also has something to do with that I am sure. Haha


Do you think your focus will place you into a different WL category? U of H has a wealth of centers and institutes and I've heard U of H uses an applicant tracking software that can search through different attributes. If you have a background or interest in energy, I would think a drop down menu would note you as a potential candidate for the Center for Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Law. Considering their programs, I would think they'd be an institution to focus more on the diversity of their candidates discipline and interests. I mean, it would suck if their Program on Law and Computation ended up with no students.


I definitely think it can't hurt to have a focus. I was WL and UH was my reach. When I sent my LOCI, I stressed how important their IP program was to me, that this was my focus, etc... Shortly after I was admitted.

Just sayin' :wink: Best of luck to you guys waiting - Hang in there!!

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:35 pm

no news?? hoping part time hears this week!!!

drsugarray
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby drsugarray » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:16 pm

TexasGE wrote:no news?? hoping part time hears this week!!!


Is it typical for most part timers who are on the WL to get a final decision by this time?

Lonestar87
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Lonestar87 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:25 pm

drsugarray wrote:
TexasGE wrote:no news?? hoping part time hears this week!!!


Is it typical for most part timers who are on the WL to get a final decision by this time?


I quote law school admissions reps when I say this, that every year is different. You can literally find out the days leading up to start date and it doesn't matter whether you are PT or FT. I hope that helps! :)

h0peful
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:40 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby h0peful » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:54 am

I'm in for full time!! YAYY!

jess85
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby jess85 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:00 am

h0peful wrote:I'm in for full time!! YAYY!


Congrats! :D

Lonestar87
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Lonestar87 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:13 am

h0peful wrote:I'm in for full time!! YAYY!



First, I say congratulations! When did you receive word that you had been admitted off the waitlist? Was it just today?

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby brose » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:22 am

h0peful wrote:I'm in for full time!! YAYY!


Are you URM?

UHPT
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby UHPT » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 am

h0peful wrote:I'm in for full time!! YAYY!


Congrats that is great news!

Did you find out today?

h0peful
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:40 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby h0peful » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:26 pm

UHPT wrote:
h0peful wrote:I'm in for full time!! YAYY!


Congrats that is great news!

Did you find out today?


Yes, I found out this morning. Not URM. with a scholly!!! Yall I am so excited!

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby upfish » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Numbers?

I didn't expect them to still be distributing scholarship money.

TexasGE
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TexasGE » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:34 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!

p.s. hope you're not a troll :wink:

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby anni » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:56 pm

h0peful wrote:
UHPT wrote:
h0peful wrote:I'm in for full time!! YAYY!


Congrats that is great news!

Did you find out today?


Yes, I found out this morning. Not URM. with a scholly!!! Yall I am so excited!



Congrats!!!!! Amazing about the scholly too!

txag10
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby txag10 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:37 pm

How'd you find out about the scholly?

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby bartleby » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:25 pm

nice, my scholarships posted in my financial aid. i remember brose was wondering when that would happen so just a heads up to my fellow cougs

h0peful
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:40 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby h0peful » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:06 pm

txag10 wrote:How'd you find out about the scholly?



Email from Jamie Dillon

User avatar
jpenaonline
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby jpenaonline » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Lonestar87 wrote:
jpenaonline wrote:
Lonestar87 wrote:
jpenaonline wrote:Is anyone else on this board interested in U of H's health law and public policy institute?


Im interested in the energy law focus of the school. UH is highly regarded in that field.....but Houston being the energy capital of the world also has something to do with that I am sure. Haha


Do you think your focus will place you into a different WL category? U of H has a wealth of centers and institutes and I've heard U of H uses an applicant tracking software that can search through different attributes. If you have a background or interest in energy, I would think a drop down menu would note you as a potential candidate for the Center for Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Law. Considering their programs, I would think they'd be an institution to focus more on the diversity of their candidates discipline and interests. I mean, it would suck if their Program on Law and Computation ended up with no students.


Jpenaonline: I agree with you fully.....and sounds like that is they case here. Because as I have stated before my numbers do not do not do not hit the GPA/LSAT criteria for UH. And I am Asian....so I do NOT get URM consideration too. But I can say this, its all about setting yourself apart. Most schools say that they are not numbers only schools and UH definitely is staying true to that. I have expressed a great desire in my application for the energy policy route. So fingers are crossed.


Lonestar, I came upon the following event in Economist and I thought I'd share it with you considering your interest in energy policy: http://www.economistconferences.co.uk/g ... /home&fbev

Lonestar87
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby Lonestar87 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Do you think your focus will place you into a different WL category? U of H has a wealth of centers and institutes and I've heard U of H uses an applicant tracking software that can search through different attributes. If you have a background or interest in energy, I would think a drop down menu would note you as a potential candidate for the Center for Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Law. Considering their programs, I would think they'd be an institution to focus more on the diversity of their candidates discipline and interests. I mean, it would suck if their Program on Law and Computation ended up with no students.[/quote]

Jpenaonline: I agree with you fully.....and sounds like that is they case here. Because as I have stated before my numbers do not do not do not hit the GPA/LSAT criteria for UH. And I am Asian....so I do NOT get URM consideration too. But I can say this, its all about setting yourself apart. Most schools say that they are not numbers only schools and UH definitely is staying true to that. I have expressed a great desire in my application for the energy policy route. So fingers are crossed.[/quote]

Lonestar, I came upon the following event in Economist and I thought I'd share it with you considering your interest in energy policy: http://www.economistconferences.co.uk/g ... /home&fbev[/quote]

Thank you so much Jpenaonline!!! I appreciate it! I really want to do energy policy and UH is the best place to be for that. But as the days dwindle down, I feel that I am losing hope on my future at UH, therefore hurting my chances for my future in energy policies. Ahhh well.....wait we all must. But thank you for your consideration. :)

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby brose » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:49 pm

h0peful wrote:
Yes, I found out this morning. Not URM. with a scholly!!! Yall I am so excited!


You got a scholly with both numbers way below median (3.0, 152) and not URM? Interesting.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby brose » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:50 pm

bartleby wrote:nice, my scholarships posted in my financial aid. i remember brose was wondering when that would happen so just a heads up to my fellow cougs


w00t just saw mine... finally.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby upfish » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:29 am

brose wrote:
h0peful wrote:
Yes, I found out this morning. Not URM. with a scholly!!! Yall I am so excited!


You got a scholly with both numbers way below median (3.0, 152) and not URM? Interesting.


UH confuses the hell out of me.

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby craneje » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:26 am

upfish wrote:
brose wrote:
h0peful wrote:
Yes, I found out this morning. Not URM. with a scholly!!! Yall I am so excited!


You got a scholly with both numbers way below median (3.0, 152) and not URM? Interesting.


UH confuses the hell out of me.



Me too! Congratulations h0peful on your admittance and scholarship--great news! :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lmcghee, sonyco, texteach, TudoBem, zeglo and 11 guests