University of Houston 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
longhornlaw

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby longhornlaw » Thu May 12, 2011 10:36 pm

UHPT wrote:
longhornlaw wrote:Sent in my LOCI and updated resume today. Fingers crossed.

FT or PT , if you dont mind me asking

FT. Was waitlisted back in January. Honestly haven't done anything since then, so it's a crap shoot.

UHPT

Postby UHPT » Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 pm

longhornlaw wrote:
UHPT wrote:
longhornlaw wrote:Sent in my LOCI and updated resume today. Fingers crossed.

FT or PT , if you dont mind me asking

FT. Was waitlisted back in January. Honestly haven't done anything since then, so it's a crap shoot.

i wouldnt lose hope...seems like FT applicants are getting accepted/offered a place in PT...or the "R" word... you have a better chances compared to the PT ppl. Hang in there :)

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 pm

any movement out there?? hoping friday 13th is a lucky one for us waiting!

steviejanowski

Postby steviejanowski » Fri May 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Congrats to everyone off the waitlist. I'm still waiting for FT.

I'm hoping that I can get off of it next week before I have to decide whether to keep my stuff out west at school in storage or bring it back home for summer. Hopefully everyone waiting gets off the waitlist that is currently on it.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Mon May 16, 2011 4:50 pm

I am anxiously still waiting. When was the next deposit due?

Also - for those accepted, the subject of the acceptance email starts off with 'Congratulation from UHLC..." right? What about those dinged? What does it say? I am scared every time my phone vibrates with an email :-/

brose

Postby brose » Mon May 16, 2011 4:54 pm

TexasGE wrote:I am anxiously still waiting. When was the next deposit due?

Also - for those accepted, the subject of the acceptance email starts off with 'Congratulation from UHLC..." right? What about those dinged? What does it say? I am scared every time my phone vibrates with an email :-/

My subject was "University of Houston Law Center" I was accepted in February, though.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Mon May 16, 2011 5:02 pm

brose wrote:
TexasGE wrote:I am anxiously still waiting. When was the next deposit due?

My subject was "University of Houston Law Center" I was accepted in February, though.

:shock:

Mach 26

Postby Mach 26 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Texas GE,

I was accepted FT on 4/26. Subject line was "Congratulations from University of Houston Law Center."

Good luck!

ldudinsky

Postby ldudinsky » Mon May 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Anyone else is the same boat as I am? My file went into review on 5-5-11 but I have still not heard anything from them. FT applicant, file completed in Feb. Not sure if I should call or email a LOCI. I dont want to annoy them but I would like to hear something from them before second deposits are due at the other schools. Any advice?

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Mon May 16, 2011 5:17 pm

ldudinsky wrote:Anyone else is the same boat as I am? My file went into review on 5-5-11 but I have still not heard anything from them. FT applicant, file completed in Feb. Not sure if I should call or email a LOCI. I dont want to annoy them but I would like to hear something from them before second deposits are due at the other schools. Any advice?

So you have been waiting about 3 months? I might send an short email LOCI or something...

AdlTX4

Postby AdlTX4 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:38 pm

I called them last week and spoke with Pam. She told me that if you have already sent a LOCI, it is not necessary to send another at this point. She also said not to call in with any updates, everything has to come to them in writing, and that she could not give me an update on the status of my app over the phone. She mentioned that they dont really start accepting off the waitlist until late May/ Early June and through the summer (although clearly that is not 100% the case).

Mach 26

Postby Mach 26 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:23 pm

For what it’s worth, my full-time application went complete in early February, went FIR on 3/2, FIR date updated on 4/22, and decision rendered on 4/26. Obviously the timeline may differ for those FT applicants still waiting due to schedule compression and the number of seats remaining and may not resemble part-time admissions at all, but the process can definitely take a while.
Last edited by Mach 26 on Mon May 16, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris4943

Postby Chris4943 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm still FIR 5/5 FT also.

It would just seem weird to me that people would get pulled off the waitlist before everyone who's waiting for a 1st decision have gotten one.

I'm just whining though. We'll see what happens.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Mon May 16, 2011 8:25 pm

I would certainly hope that they answer all applications still waiting on a decision before taking people off the waitlist!

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue May 17, 2011 10:08 am

Chris4943 wrote:I'm still FIR 5/5 FT also.

It would just seem weird to me that people would get pulled off the waitlist before everyone who's waiting for a 1st decision have gotten one.

I'm just whining though. We'll see what happens.

It might depend on your stats? I think those of us WL'd in January w/good numbers were YP WLs. When we sent LOCIs they were like "Okay, cool."

Have you guys called to check on your apps?

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 am

I got off the waitlist over a week ago and was WL'd in January. While WL'ed I send in one LOCI. When I spoke w/ Admissions they said what really helps is additional LORs from different ppl (aka not 6 letters all from lawyers). I send in 2 additional LORs and got accepted even before ppl received the "are you still interested" email. I think I got my point accross. So if you have someone that can write you another GOOD LOR, then that really helps. I also met with Dean Jamie West and I think that helped a lot more than just calling admissions would have.

Hope this helps.

UHPT

Postby UHPT » Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 am

i<3ny wrote:I got off the waitlist over a week ago and was WL'd in January. While WL'ed I send in one LOCI. When I spoke w/ Admissions they said what really helps is additional LORs from different ppl (aka not 6 letters all from lawyers). I send in 2 additional LORs and got accepted even before ppl received the "are you still interested" email. I think I got my point accross. So if you have someone that can write you another GOOD LOR, then that really helps. I also met with Dean Jamie West and I think that helped a lot more than just calling admissions would have.

Hope this helps.

Did you send the additional LORs directly to UHLS? or did you go thru LSAC?

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Tue May 17, 2011 11:22 am

UHPT wrote:
i<3ny wrote:I got off the waitlist over a week ago and was WL'd in January. While WL'ed I send in one LOCI. When I spoke w/ Admissions they said what really helps is additional LORs from different ppl (aka not 6 letters all from lawyers). I send in 2 additional LORs and got accepted even before ppl received the "are you still interested" email. I think I got my point accross. So if you have someone that can write you another GOOD LOR, then that really helps. I also met with Dean Jamie West and I think that helped a lot more than just calling admissions would have.

Hope this helps.

Directly to the school. And I send them to their general email and a copy via snail mail.

ldudinsky

Postby ldudinsky » Tue May 17, 2011 11:25 am

Yea I have not been waitlisted either, just file in review, should I call and check on it? I am a FT applicant with decent undergrad numbers 3.2, LSAT 161, and great grad school stats 3.9 with multiple publications. Not sure what the hold up is, I am in at other schools but am from Houston and would prefer to be there over going out to california. Any suggestions?

UHPT

Postby UHPT » Tue May 17, 2011 11:27 am

i<3ny wrote:
UHPT wrote:

Hope this helps.

Directly to the school. And I send them to their general email and a copy via snail mail.

I havent been in school for a while so all my LORs are from past/current employers. I do not know who else to ask..would a friend, mentor, etc be okay?

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Tue May 17, 2011 11:30 am

I havent been in school for a while so all my LORs are from past/current employers. I do not know who else to ask..would a friend, mentor, etc be okay?[/quote]

I think that it could be a mentor but a friend is stretching it. All my additional letters were from ppl that I work for.

UHPT

Postby UHPT » Tue May 17, 2011 11:37 am

i<3ny wrote:I havent been in school for a while so all my LORs are from past/current employers. I do not know who else to ask..would a friend, mentor, etc be okay?

I think that it could be a mentor but a friend is stretching it. All my additional letters were from ppl that I work for.[/quote]

oh ok so a coworker would be better than a mentor ? i guess in that case i can bug a few more ppl to take some time out to write me one...

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Tue May 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Did you send these via LSAC or directly to UH?

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue May 17, 2011 12:29 pm

UHPT wrote:
UHPT wrote:
i<3ny wrote:I havent been in school for a while so all my LORs are from past/current employers. I do not know who else to ask..would a friend, mentor, etc be okay?

I think that it could be a mentor but a friend is stretching it. All my additional letters were from ppl that I work for.

oh ok so a coworker would be better than a mentor ? i guess in that case i can bug a few more ppl to take some time out to write me one...

I would not send one from a coworker. Pick someone who is in some position to evaluate you in some way. Professors evaluate you as a student; bosses evaluate you as an employee. Coworkers are on your level, so I don't think the school is even going to give weight to that type of rec. This is why friends don't work either.

Mentors would be your best bet.

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Tue May 17, 2011 12:39 pm

upfish wrote:
UHPT wrote:
UHPT wrote:

I would not send one from a coworker. Pick someone who is in some position to evaluate you in some way. Professors evaluate you as a student; bosses evaluate you as an employee. Coworkers are on your level, so I don't think the school is even going to give weight to that type of rec. This is why friends don't work either.

Mentors would be your best bet.

+1 I agree. Not co-workers. I meant your boss or someone you've done significant amount of work for.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”