University of Houston 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TortoiseshellCat

Re: University of Houston 2011

Postby TortoiseshellCat » Wed May 11, 2011 5:30 pm

I just got email saying they had already started looking at their waitlist and that I should send any materials as soon as possible. I wonder if this is bad news or bad news, since people have already gotten off the waitlist...

Chris4943

Postby Chris4943 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Damnit. Still File In Review. This is painful.

UHPT

Postby UHPT » Wed May 11, 2011 5:49 pm

TortoiseshellCat wrote:I just got email saying they had already started looking at their waitlist and that I should send any materials as soon as possible. I wonder if this is bad news or bad news, since people have already gotten off the waitlist...

I think it is good news, if they wanted to reject you they would have just done that without asking you to send additional materials, if you have any. if you have not sent your LOCI I would do it today..hopefully that will change their mind and you will see Accepted in your status checker instead of Waitlisted :)

TortoiseshellCat

Postby TortoiseshellCat » Wed May 11, 2011 6:04 pm

UHPT wrote:
TortoiseshellCat wrote:I just got email saying they had already started looking at their waitlist and that I should send any materials as soon as possible. I wonder if this is bad news or bad news, since people have already gotten off the waitlist...

I think it is good news, if they wanted to reject you they would have just done that without asking you to send additional materials, if you have any. if you have not sent your LOCI I would do it today..hopefully that will change their mind and you will see Accepted in your status checker instead of Waitlisted :)

Thank you thank you! That made my day. :) I am working on that right now and will send it tonight...Have you received any news?

UHPT

Postby UHPT » Wed May 11, 2011 6:09 pm

TortoiseshellCat wrote:
UHPT wrote:

Thank you thank you! That made my day. :) I am working on that right now and will send it tonight...Have you received any news?

No problem :)

I am a PT applicant and they sent me a letter telling me i was WL and i should send "any additional materials", so i was working on my LOCI half of the day at work today :oops: but i got it done and it just got sent a few minutes ago. I think because i am PT/WL applicant i probably wont hear anything till end of May/June...Heres hoping for the best!

anni

Postby anni » Wed May 11, 2011 8:14 pm

TexasGE wrote:For those who received the waitlist letter via snail mail recently - who was it signed by?

Jamie Ann West Dillon
Assistant Dean for Admissions

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Wed May 11, 2011 9:26 pm

I just read through last years thread. It looks like they are starting to accept ppl off the FT waitlist sooner this year - so I am hoping the same for PT! I don't want to be waiting in July ;-/

Mach 26

Postby Mach 26 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:33 pm

I thought I would chime in for those who are currently sitting on the waitlist, and perhaps for some who were rejected this cycle but are still lurking. I feel your pain. I was waitlisted at Houston last year and rode it out until the bitter end without being admitted. I was accepted to STCL and seriously considered going, but I am leaning toward transactional practice and not litigation (which STCL is damn good at) so I decided to try at Houston again this year. A few things I learned along the way:
  • There is a very good LOCI thread on TLS (for those who haven’t found it) that I wish I had read before I sent my letter. It contains some great information. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169
  • Send one LOCI only unless you have some really earth shattering information to update them on. I sent a couple along with a few e-mails over the waitlist process and I got the impression that I annoyed them slightly. Be persistent but cautious in your communication.
  • Visit the law school if at all possible. Do some research and be prepared to ask a question or two. Also, try to get to know the other people on the tour assuming you take one as they could end up being your classmates this year if you are lucky, or they might be next year depending on the circumstances.
  • Pay attention to the admissions blog; they post some useful information there.
  • Don’t live and die by every piece of correspondence you get from the school. Unless you are a 170+ LSAT candidate that got waitlisted for yield protection purposes but guaranteed you would attend if admitted, most if not all of the communication is going to sound generic/canned/impersonal.
  • That said; keep an eye on this thread as it may likely provide you some “context clues” about where you stand in relation to those getting in off the waitlist, FT applicants getting PT offers, etc.

If you ultimately don't make it and decide to sit this year out and reapply (painful to think about at this point I know):
  • Request a debrief of your application with the admissions office (a couple months after classes have started and things have settled down for them) to gather as much information on strengths and weaknesses as they will share. I found this to be particularly helpful when reworking my application for this cycle.
  • If you wait a year, study your rear end off and retake the LSAT. You’d probably just as soon beat your head against a wall but, even though Houston seems more holistic than some schools it’s still mostly about numbers.

Congratulations to everyone who has been admitted and good luck to those of you who are still waiting. I hope some very deserving waitlisters make it in this cycle!

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Thu May 12, 2011 12:08 am

Mach 26 wrote:I thought I would chime in for those who are currently sitting on the waitlist, and perhaps for some who were rejected this cycle but are still lurking. I feel your pain. I was waitlisted at Houston last year and rode it out until the bitter end without being admitted. I was accepted to STCL and seriously considered going, but I am leaning toward transactional practice and not litigation (which STCL is damn good at) so I decided to try at Houston again this year. A few things I learned along the way:
  • There is a very good LOCI thread on TLS (for those who haven’t found it) that I wish I had read before I sent my letter. It contains some great information. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169
  • Send one LOCI only unless you have some really earth shattering information to update them on. I sent a couple along with a few e-mails over the waitlist process and I got the impression that I annoyed them slightly. Be persistent but cautious in your communication.
  • Visit the law school if at all possible. Do some research and be prepared to ask a question or two. Also, try to get to know the other people on the tour assuming you take one as they could end up being your classmates this year if you are lucky, or they might be next year depending on the circumstances.
  • Pay attention to the admissions blog; they post some useful information there.
  • Don’t live and die by every piece of correspondence you get from the school. Unless you are a 170+ LSAT candidate that got waitlisted for yield protection purposes but guaranteed you would attend if admitted, most if not all of the communication is going to sound generic/canned/impersonal.
  • That said; keep an eye on this thread as it may likely provide you some “context clues” about where you stand in relation to those getting in off the waitlist, FT applicants getting PT offers, etc.

If you ultimately don't make it and decide to sit this year out and reapply (painful to think about at this point I know):
  • Request a debrief of your application with the admissions office (a couple months after classes have started and things have settled down for them) to gather as much information on strengths and weaknesses as they will share. I found this to be particularly helpful when reworking my application for this cycle.
  • If you wait a year, study your rear end off and retake the LSAT. You’d probably just as soon beat your head against a wall but, even though Houston seems more holistic than some schools it’s still mostly about numbers.

Congratulations to everyone who has been admitted and good luck to those of you who are still waiting. I hope some very deserving waitlisters make it in this cycle!

Wow! Very gracious of you to take the time and share your experiences and provide some very useful tips. Thank you. Good Luck!

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Thu May 12, 2011 1:16 am

Mach 26 wrote:I thought I would chime in for those who are currently sitting on the waitlist, and perhaps for some who were rejected this cycle but are still lurking. I feel your pain. I was waitlisted at Houston last year and rode it out until the bitter end without being admitted. I was accepted to STCL and seriously considered going, but I am leaning toward transactional practice and not litigation (which STCL is damn good at) so I decided to try at Houston again this year. A few things I learned along the way:

Thank you for taking the time to write this!! Are you in at Houston this year?

UHPT

Postby UHPT » Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 am

Thank you for all the great information..hope you got in to the school of your choice!
Also I have not really been proactive about contacting the admissions office because i thought they are too busy to dealw ith me and that i could not possibly compete with all the other great LSAT scores. I was recently told to call and check in with admissions counseler to get more information and to show them I am still very much interested in going to UHLS...do you think its a good idea to call them a few times over the next few months?

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu May 12, 2011 11:11 am

UHPT wrote:Thank you for all the great information..hope you got in to the school of your choice!
Also I have not really been proactive about contacting the admissions office because i thought they are too busy to dealw ith me and that i could not possibly compete with all the other great LSAT scores. I was recently told to call and check in with admissions counseler to get more information and to show them I am still very much interested in going to UHLS...do you think its a good idea to call them a few times over the next few months?

I don't think so. You should send them a LOCI, visit the campus, and if you have one, send an updated resume.

Calling them a lot isn't something tangible for your file, and might be a little bit irritating?

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Thu May 12, 2011 11:25 am

upfish wrote:
UHPT wrote:Thank you for all the great information..hope you got in to the school of your choice!

I don't think so. You should send them a LOCI, visit the campus, and if you have one, send an updated resume.

Calling them a lot isn't something tangible for your file, and might be a little bit irritating?

+1

libdemjenn

Postby libdemjenn » Thu May 12, 2011 12:06 pm

upfish wrote:You should send them a LOCI, visit the campus, and if you have one, send an updated resume.

This is great advice. You really should visit the campus, UHPT. If you are compelled to submit another LOCI, you can drop it off in person. I imagine it would find its way to the right person.

From the Admissions page:
From Monday, May 16th- Monday, August 8th, tours will be available Mondays at 10:30am and Fridays at 2:00pm. However, tours will not be available the week of May 29th- June 3rd.

UHPT

Postby UHPT » Thu May 12, 2011 12:09 pm

True I should make a trip out there and visit the campus..hopefully I can find some time between all these tax deadlines and audits....Thanks guys I didnt think calling would be a good idea either cause if I was in their shoes I probably would be really annoyed by all the calls they get on a daily basis...

Mach 26

Postby Mach 26 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:26 pm

It’s my pleasure. The waitlist process is esoteric and stressful and information helps combat that, especially for details people (myself included). I’m not happy to say I know about it through experience…

I am still weighing some options based on how my cycle turned out this year, but I’d say the odds are really good I will be at Houston in the fall.

I don’t necessarily think getting on board late is going to break you. I would communicate to them (if you haven’t already) that Houston is your top choice and you would attend if offered, assuming that is the way you feel. Beyond that I’ll echo what has been said here; space things out because you definitely don’t want to be seen as a pest. I’ve read from a lot of sources that say don’t contact admissions offices more than once every month or so and that’s probably a good rule of thumb. Beyond letting them know you really want to go to school there, you have probably done about all that you can.

As far as your LSAT score is concerned, it isn’t the only consideration. It is still the biggest one, but I have been told by several Law Center graduates that Houston values applicants with work experience and other interesting softs so sell your strengths and pray for the best. Good luck!

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Thu May 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Mach 26 wrote:It’s my pleasure. The waitlist process is esoteric and stressful and information helps combat that, especially for details people (myself included). I’m not happy to say I know about it through experience…

I am still weighing some options based on how my cycle turned out this year, but I’d say the odds are really good I will be at Houston in the fall.

I don’t necessarily think getting on board late is going to break you. I would communicate to them (if you haven’t already) that Houston is your top choice and you would attend if offered, assuming that is the way you feel. Beyond that I’ll echo what has been said here; space things out because you definitely don’t want to be seen as a pest. I’ve read from a lot of sources that say don’t contact admissions offices more than once every month or so and that’s probably a good rule of thumb. Beyond letting them know you really want to go to school there, you have probably done about all that you can.

As far as your LSAT score is concerned, it isn’t the only consideration. It is still the biggest one, but I have been told by several Law Center graduates that Houston values applicants with work experience and other interesting softs so sell your strengths and pray for the best. Good luck!

I definitely agree with that statement.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Thu May 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi Everyone...just curious if anyone is still in review from 4/20 and has a new review date or is sitting exactly (like me) at 4/20. In review for PT.

TY

h0peful

Postby h0peful » Thu May 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Hey yall -

My status checker told me 5/5/11 that I was waitlisted. I haven't gotten an email or a letter in the mail, including the most recent email everyone is talking about regarding sending in more infomation. Anyone have any ideas whats up?

I applied FT.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Thu May 12, 2011 3:04 pm

h0peful wrote:Hey yall -

My status checker told me 5/5/11 that I was waitlisted. I haven't gotten an email or a letter in the mail, including the most recent email everyone is talking about regarding sending in more infomation. Anyone have any ideas whats up?

I applied FT.

I think it takes them a while to send out an actual snail mail letter - from what I've been reading sometimes up to 3 weeks from the waitlist date.

Chris4943

Postby Chris4943 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:52 pm

File In Review 5/5/11.

Full time.

Very pessimistic.

ETJ13

Postby ETJ13 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Singingkris, I am still in review from 4/20. Nothing has changed since.

PT.

No real idea what is going on, but I am just going to be patient.

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Thu May 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Sent in my LOCI and updated resume today. Fingers crossed.

UHPT

Postby UHPT » Thu May 12, 2011 5:47 pm

longhornlaw wrote:Sent in my LOCI and updated resume today. Fingers crossed.

FT or PT , if you dont mind me asking

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Thu May 12, 2011 6:56 pm

ETJ13 wrote:Singingkris, I am still in review from 4/20. Nothing has changed since.

PT.

No real idea what is going on, but I am just going to be patient.

Thank you for ur response. Nice to know I'm not alone. Good luck to you! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”