Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
eskimogirl
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: !

Postby eskimogirl » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:01 pm

mrmangs wrote:
I think eskimogirl is a URM and she got in last week, if I remember correctly. She's not on LSN though.

ETA: That said, even if you have great numbers, I would just be patient with Stanford. Seems like they take their sweet time and are well worth the wait.


yess, i am an URM and i got the call tuesday. and i was on lsn, but decided to switch my profile to hidden until the end of my cycle.

also, agreed, dean deal is really friendly. and the call lasted a relatively long time considering how many she probably had to make/how much she had to do that day.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:04 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/forthefunofit

LOVE that person :) Gives me Hope.

Also, submitted for review tooodaayyy :D!!! So excited!!

Just got my grades, but you have to request grades in person at my school. Do you think I'll have time to send them my grades if I can't get the grades to Stanford until the first week of January?


Do you mean have time before they make a decision? Then, yes, you will have plenty of time. SLS is known for being incredibly deliberate with their process. (Read: you won't hear for months anyway, so you might as well send them.) Also, I believe if you upload to LSAC, they send the update to the school.

ETA: So, I did not send a "Why Stanford?" essay at the beginning of the process. Do you think it might be appropriate to send one, even though it is still early in the cycle, comparatively? Or maybe in LOCI form? (I know it seems especially early for a LOCI.) I just feel like I should maybe communicate a bit more effectively that Stanford is my #1 and, if admitted, I WILL be there in the fall.


I can't see why writing more would hurt anyone, unless he/she is terrible at writing. Assuming you do a decent job, it can only help.

That said, for a school like Stanford, while making clear your commitment is nice, I don't know how far it would go (they know they are amazing, but I suppose if you have the profile for H and Y then it could help you out). In any case, I would try to sell yourself as much as possible in any further essays (i.e., don't just talk about how great Stanford is).

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 pm

mrmangs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/forthefunofit

LOVE that person :) Gives me Hope.

Also, submitted for review tooodaayyy :D!!! So excited!!

Just got my grades, but you have to request grades in person at my school. Do you think I'll have time to send them my grades if I can't get the grades to Stanford until the first week of January?


Do you mean have time before they make a decision? Then, yes, you will have plenty of time. SLS is known for being incredibly deliberate with their process. (Read: you won't hear for months anyway, so you might as well send them.) Also, I believe if you upload to LSAC, they send the update to the school.

ETA: So, I did not send a "Why Stanford?" essay at the beginning of the process. Do you think it might be appropriate to send one, even though it is still early in the cycle, comparatively? Or maybe in LOCI form? (I know it seems especially early for a LOCI.) I just feel like I should maybe communicate a bit more effectively that Stanford is my #1 and, if admitted, I WILL be there in the fall.


I can't see why writing more would hurt anyone, unless he/she is terrible at writing. Assuming you do a decent job, it can only help.

That said, for a school like Stanford, while making clear your commitment is nice, I don't know how far it would go (they know they are amazing, but I suppose if you have the profile for H and Y then it could help you out). In any case, I would try to sell yourself as much as possible in any further essays (i.e., don't just talk about how great Stanford is).


Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/forthefunofit

LOVE that person :) Gives me Hope.

Also, submitted for review tooodaayyy :D!!! So excited!!

Just got my grades, but you have to request grades in person at my school. Do you think I'll have time to send them my grades if I can't get the grades to Stanford until the first week of January?


Do you mean have time before they make a decision? Then, yes, you will have plenty of time. SLS is known for being incredibly deliberate with their process. (Read: you won't hear for months anyway, so you might as well send them.) Also, I believe if you upload to LSAC, they send the update to the school.

ETA: So, I did not send a "Why Stanford?" essay at the beginning of the process. Do you think it might be appropriate to send one, even though it is still early in the cycle, comparatively? Or maybe in LOCI form? (I know it seems especially early for a LOCI.) I just feel like I should maybe communicate a bit more effectively that Stanford is my #1 and, if admitted, I WILL be there in the fall.


upload? We don't have electronic official UG transcripts at my school, only unofficial. So I have to be on campus at the registrars office to get one.
I know they wont send me an answer for a long time, I just wanted to make sure they won't have already made a decision on my app, since I already have my grades now.
They improve my GPA by .03, but that's not as much as I expected. That is still helpful right? It won't be bad to demonstrate that I didn't get straight As this term right?

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:13 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.


The rumor is that it Stanford really places an emphasis on writing that statement.
When I spoke to Dean Deal she mentioned that it was important to her to try to figure out how you will fit into the Stanford class, and that she focuses on figuring out what you will add and how you will fit in.
That sounds like a Why Stanford essay would help with that.
I'm not sure though. Maybe none of us are.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Update LSAC, it will update SLS for you. Won't hurt, can only help. I am updating my grad school transcript next week.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:17 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.


Can you link the relevant starting point of this discussion from last year's thread? TYIA!

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:19 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/forthefunofit

LOVE that person :) Gives me Hope.

Also, submitted for review tooodaayyy :D!!! So excited!!

Just got my grades, but you have to request grades in person at my school. Do you think I'll have time to send them my grades if I can't get the grades to Stanford until the first week of January?


Do you mean have time before they make a decision? Then, yes, you will have plenty of time. SLS is known for being incredibly deliberate with their process. (Read: you won't hear for months anyway, so you might as well send them.) Also, I believe if you upload to LSAC, they send the update to the school.

ETA: So, I did not send a "Why Stanford?" essay at the beginning of the process. Do you think it might be appropriate to send one, even though it is still early in the cycle, comparatively? Or maybe in LOCI form? (I know it seems especially early for a LOCI.) I just feel like I should maybe communicate a bit more effectively that Stanford is my #1 and, if admitted, I WILL be there in the fall.


upload? We don't have electronic official UG transcripts at my school, only unofficial. So I have to be on campus at the registrars office to get one.
I know they wont send me an answer for a long time, I just wanted to make sure they won't have already made a decision on my app, since I already have my grades now.
They improve my GPA by .03, but that's not as much as I expected. That is still helpful right? It won't be bad to demonstrate that I didn't get straight As this term right?


Oh, sorry, what I meant is that you send the transcript like you did the old one to LSAC, and they will update your file and send the update to schools that you applied to. I haven't done this, so I can't confirm the exact process, but this is the gist I received from other threads.

As far as the .03, I don't think it will make THAT much of a difference, especially for Stanford, since they do not care as much about numbers as you as a person. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt-maybe you took a course Dean Deal is partial to? :lol: :lol:

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:20 pm

mrmangs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.


Can you link the relevant starting point of this discussion from last year's thread? TYIA!


So are there going to be 10 "why stanford" updates in their office tomorrow?

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.


Can you link the relevant starting point of this discussion from last year's thread? TYIA!


So are there going to be 10 "why stanford" updates in their office tomorrow?


That would be silly. Good writing takes time.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:21 pm

mrmangs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.


Can you link the relevant starting point of this discussion from last year's thread? TYIA!


viewtopic.php?f=7&t=88595&start=1600 and the following pages. Also, at some point earlier in that thread crackberry, when they got in, mentioned that they essentially had the statement in their PS.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.


Can you link the relevant starting point of this discussion from last year's thread? TYIA!


So are there going to be 10 "why stanford" updates in their office tomorrow?


I almost worry that my Why Stanford essay was too much. I was pretty clear that I felt an emotional attachment to Stanford haha
I should have signed it

<3
S0ph1e

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:23 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=7&t=88595&start=1600 and the following pages. Also, at some point earlier in that thread crackberry, when they got in, mentioned that they essentially had the statement in their PS.


Oh, see, that's what I did. I feel like deluging them with more writing at this point is just going to make me seem whiny -- I've already whined a lot in my PS after all.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 pm

mrmangs wrote:
That would be silly. Good writing takes time.


I'm not doing it. I already wrote a bit about that in my PS and I don't think I have anything else substantive to add.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
That would be silly. Good writing takes time.


I'm not doing it. I already wrote a bit about that in my PS and I don't think I have anything else substantive to add.


Yeah, unfortunately I did not do that in my PS, which in hindsight may have been a bad idea. However, I did have two targeted LORs. I think I am just bored and anxious at this point, which is causing me to think of new things to do with my app. It is kind of like when you are bored and eat, haha.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
That would be silly. Good writing takes time.


I'm not doing it. I already wrote a bit about that in my PS and I don't think I have anything else substantive to add.


Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I did address it in my PS, and since I'm out of UG, it's not like I have updated grades or anything huge to add to my application. But I will read the thread and see what the consensus was there, and think for a while to see if I can come up with anything compelling. I wouldn't want to drown them in more words if the words aren't going to do anything for me.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:29 pm

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
That would be silly. Good writing takes time.


I'm not doing it. I already wrote a bit about that in my PS and I don't think I have anything else substantive to add.


Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I did address it in my PS, and since I'm out of UG, it's not like I have updated grades or anything huge to add to my application. But I will read the thread and see what the consensus was there, and think for a while to see if I can come up with anything compelling. I wouldn't want to drown them in more words if the words aren't going to do anything for me.


I actually contacted a post-doc fellow at SLS on Internet privacy issues because I came across his quote in the Chronicle while I was writing a white paper for a potential contract at work. It really gave me the sense that SLS is at the forefront of what I want to learn/practice in. This was after submission though. Maybe I should write about that? Along with my grad grades update?

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
That would be silly. Good writing takes time.


I'm not doing it. I already wrote a bit about that in my PS and I don't think I have anything else substantive to add.


Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I did address it in my PS, and since I'm out of UG, it's not like I have updated grades or anything huge to add to my application. But I will read the thread and see what the consensus was there, and think for a while to see if I can come up with anything compelling. I wouldn't want to drown them in more words if the words aren't going to do anything for me.


I actually contacted a post-doc fellow at SLS on Internet privacy issues because I came across his quote in the Chronicle while I was writing a white paper for a potential contract at work. It really gave me the sense that SLS is at the forefront of what I want to learn/practice in. This was after submission though. Maybe I should write about that? Along with my grad grades update?


This actually sounds quite compelling to me. Deal has said she likes to hear about things along these lines, I think. And since you have other reasons to write as well, the numbers update seems slightly less shameless. :P

PS-Why is Dean Deal such a tease. Only 2 TLSers got a call...at the VERY BEGINNING of the day. Thanks for another stress-filled, nonproductive day right before my last final.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:30 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:This actually sounds quite compelling to me. Deal has said she likes to hear about things along these lines, I think. And since you have other reasons to write as well, the numbers update seems slightly less shameless. :P

PS-Why is Dean Deal such a tease. Only 2 TLSers got a call...at the VERY BEGINNING of the day. Thanks for another stress-filled, nonproductive day right before my last final.


Thanks, I will consider writing a few lines about it over the break waiting for the transcript to update.

I am actually quite busy at work these few weeks so it helps with the anxiousness.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
That would be silly. Good writing takes time.


I'm not doing it. I already wrote a bit about that in my PS and I don't think I have anything else substantive to add.


Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I did address it in my PS, and since I'm out of UG, it's not like I have updated grades or anything huge to add to my application. But I will read the thread and see what the consensus was there, and think for a while to see if I can come up with anything compelling. I wouldn't want to drown them in more words if the words aren't going to do anything for me.


I actually contacted a post-doc fellow at SLS on Internet privacy issues because I came across his quote in the Chronicle while I was writing a white paper for a potential contract at work. It really gave me the sense that SLS is at the forefront of what I want to learn/practice in. This was after submission though. Maybe I should write about that? Along with my grad grades update?


Yea they wont care. You update them on contacting someone at their school? I interviewed with two of their professors and both of them told me they have NO control over admissions. One of them even told me he had a Stan UG work for him for two years as a research assistant after graduating and he wrote him a ridiculously good recommendation, but they ended up not taking him anyways b.c. his application was right on the edge of dropping SLS's average LSAT down a point.

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby src42 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:I am actually quite busy at work these few weeks so it helps with the anxiousness.


Same here, though I still find plenty of time to stalk TLS. :)

User avatar
pennyloafer17
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:44 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby pennyloafer17 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:34 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
PS-Why is Dean Deal such a tease. Only 2 TLSers got a call...at the VERY BEGINNING of the day. Thanks for another stress-filled, nonproductive day right before my last final.



Ba too stressful. I'm just sitting here staring sadly at my phone...

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:35 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Yea they wont care. You update them on contacting someone at their school? I interviewed with two of their professors and both of them told me they have NO control over admissions. One of them even told me he had a Stan UG work for him for two years as a research assistant after graduating and he wrote him a ridiculously good recommendation, but they ended up not taking him anyways b.c. his application was right on the edge of dropping SLS's average LSAT down a point.


I don't think the whole point of the update is that he contacted someone. This just leads into the fact that Stanford is at the cutting edge of his field, which is a legitimate and important thing for them to know.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:40 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Yea they wont care. You update them on contacting someone at their school? I interviewed with two of their professors and both of them told me they have NO control over admissions. One of them even told me he had a Stan UG work for him for two years as a research assistant after graduating and he wrote him a ridiculously good recommendation, but they ended up not taking him anyways b.c. his application was right on the edge of dropping SLS's average LSAT down a point.


I don't think the whole point of the update is that he contacted someone. This just leads into the fact that Stanford is at the cutting edge of his field, which is a legitimate and important thing for them to know.


Yes I was searching for an authoritative opinion on the particular subject (it's 2010 cutting edge new) and the only credible reference from a law point of view was of Stanford origin. That's why I want to study at Stanford - it seem to offer the best education in a new legal frontier. Everyone else is not quite caught up yet.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:29 pm

Woke up to a missed call. Not from SLS :cry:.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bakewelltart, blueapple, carlos_danger, guybourdin, hopeful applicant, mlp12, tinafeyclone, VapidP and 23 guests