Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
tgir
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby tgir » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:05 am

7ED wrote:I submitted September 15. I doubt (possible though) they keep going back to files again and again over a 3 month span. I guess we should stop worrying so much since the die is (most likely) cast?


Well, I'm not saying that they read these applications every day, thinking that they'll look different each time.

I just mean that they probably have a "maybe" pile, which places an app in uncertain territory but not yet resigned to a waitlist. Keep in mind that they probably want to get a better idea of what the applicant pool looks like before making these sorts of decisions. Given that many people don't submit their apps until January/February, it's easy to see why waitlists and rejections come out so late in the season--they're just hesitant to make a decision too early.

I guess what I'm saying is don't lose hope!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:10 am

7ED wrote:You know, most likely decisions have already been made for everyone who submitted October and earlier.

Our fates have been decided!


:shock:. I'm not sure if I believe that. If they've decided to admit you I don't see why they wouldn't have called you in that first batch. Most of us are still getting read or being held to be read again later or something.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:26 am

Knock wrote:
7ED wrote:You know, most likely decisions have already been made for everyone who submitted October and earlier.

Our fates have been decided!


:shock:. I'm not sure if I believe that. If they've decided to admit you I don't see why they wouldn't have called you in that first batch. Most of us are still getting read or being held to be read again later or something.

You shouldn't believe it. Looking at LSN, A TON of decisions came out in the spring last year for applicants who applied september or october.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:32 am

I applied around mid October last year, and didn't hear back until late February. I have friends who applied in mid November and were accepted in December. No real rhyme or reason.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:39 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:I applied around mid October last year, and didn't hear back until late February. I have friends who applied in mid November and were accepted in December. No real rhyme or reason.


Thank you for injecting some sanity in here. Can't have people giving up all hope after 3 hours worth of calling.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:46 am

r6_philly wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:I applied around mid October last year, and didn't hear back until late February. I have friends who applied in mid November and were accepted in December. No real rhyme or reason.


Thank you for injecting some sanity in here. Can't have people giving up all hope after 3 hours worth of calling.


:oops:

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:53 am

7ED wrote:You know, most likely decisions have already been made for everyone who submitted October and earlier.

Our fates have been decided!


Don't say that!!!! I have not received a call and it makes me a sad person... :( :( :evil:

ETA: Even though we may be slightly off our rockers here, this is nothing compared to some of the other threads.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Kretzy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:30 am

Just wanted to quickly pop in (now that two finals are down and I can't study any more for Civ Pro lest I start forgetting things) to say congrats to the folks who got in and good luck to everyone else!

Like BioE said (and contrary to the poster on the previous page), your fates aren't decided this early, unless that fate is "admit". Most people will go through multiple reads, and folks will get admitted from now until August.

If you do get in, though, come. Seriously. And don't look back. It's a phenomenal place to study law, live, and meet great people who will become your very close friends and future colleagues.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:45 am

I hope it's not Aug. for me. I don't think I am that mobile. I will probably need a good 6 month to prepare to move out there. Hope I get in soon. :mrgreen:

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:55 am

Kretzy wrote:Just wanted to quickly pop in (now that two finals are down and I can't study any more for Civ Pro lest I start forgetting things) to say congrats to the folks who got in and good luck to everyone else!

Like BioE said (and contrary to the poster on the previous page), your fates aren't decided this early, unless that fate is "admit". Most people will go through multiple reads, and folks will get admitted from now until August.

If you do get in, though, come. Seriously. And don't look back. It's a phenomenal place to study law, live, and meet great people who will become your very close friends and future colleagues.


Don't have to tell me twice. Tell Faye to give me a call and I will be out there tomorrow. :mrgreen:

aimee
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:02 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby aimee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:07 am

I live 5 miles away from the school and go to all the football home games. Really wish I can get in.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:35 am

aimee wrote:I live 5 miles away from the school and go to all the football home games. Really wish I can get in.


So is the area as nice as I imagine it to me?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:38 am

r6_philly wrote:
aimee wrote:I live 5 miles away from the school and go to all the football home games. Really wish I can get in.


So is the area as nice as I imagine it to me?


Yes :D

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:42 am

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
aimee wrote:I live 5 miles away from the school and go to all the football home games. Really wish I can get in.


So is the area as nice as I imagine it to me?


Yes :D


Wow isn't this early for you?

Maybe we need some pictures of the surrounding area, not just the school.

User avatar
bleedblue
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby bleedblue » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:46 am

Every other decision just seems so meaningless until I see that Palo Alto number on my phone. This is the problem with following TLS; if I didn't, I would be perfectly content thinking that Stanford didn't make any decisions until the day before orientation when I get my WL reject.:P

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby The Stig » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:59 pm

bleedblue wrote:Every other decision just seems so meaningless until I see that Palo Alto number on my phone. This is the problem with following TLS; if I didn't, I would be perfectly content thinking that Stanford didn't make any decisions until the day before orientation when I get my WL reject.:P


TLS is a definitely dangerous forum to follow. I know that feeling of not getting word from a school when everyone else is (here's a hint: it's starts with H and ends in LS :) ). But TLS also has lots of nice people that support each other :D !

PS I received the SLS packet today and it came with a t-shirt! So cool.

PPS, knock your avatar is awesome.

aimee
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:02 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby aimee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
aimee wrote:I live 5 miles away from the school and go to all the football home games. Really wish I can get in.


So is the area as nice as I imagine it to me?


The school is great. Many years ago I chose Stanford over Berkeley because of the beautiful campus. However, East Palo Alto is a bad area. I went shopping there once at IKEA and when I was driving away, I saw a car on the side of the road with a bullet hole on the wind shield. No one was in the car and a policewoman stood by the car.

I lived on campus without a car for about 9 months. Although I was an Engineering student, I lived in the old Law School dorm. I heard the new dorm is much better. The old one was just so so. It was much cheaper than any other choice I could have. Every Thursday there was a party in the basement. I could smell the alcohol from my room on the first floor. Food on campus was not bad. There are many choices. If you are tired of campus food, University Avenue has a lot of good restaurants. Bus service was pretty good, considering it is free.

However, living on campus does not mean you are totally safe. Homeless people break in for food. My food got stolen a few times from the communal kitchen. I heard one case of rape or attack while I was still living on campus. The guy got in the dorm because students usually leave the door open for convenience. Well, it has been 8 years, so I hope this kind of problem will never happen again.

Err, not sure if I have scared some of you. I am still living close by the campus and will recommend anybody moving here. Just be aware of your surroundings and lock the door behind you like what you would do elsewhere.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:37 pm

aimee wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
aimee wrote:I live 5 miles away from the school and go to all the football home games. Really wish I can get in.


So is the area as nice as I imagine it to me?


The school is great. Many years ago I chose Stanford over Berkeley because of the beautiful campus. However, East Palo Alto is a bad area. I went shopping there once at IKEA and when I was driving away, I saw a car on the side of the road with a bullet hole on the wind shield. No one was in the car and a policewoman stood by the car.

I lived on campus without a car for about 9 months. Although I was an Engineering student, I lived in the old Law School dorm. I heard the new dorm is much better. The old one was just so so. It was much cheaper than any other choice I could have. Every Thursday there was a party in the basement. I could smell the alcohol from my room on the first floor. Food on campus was not bad. There are many choices. If you are tired of campus food, University Avenue has a lot of good restaurants. Bus service was pretty good, considering it is free.

However, living on campus does not mean you are totally safe. Homeless people break in for food. My food got stolen a few times from the communal kitchen. I heard one case of rape or attack while I was still living on campus. The guy got in the dorm because students usually leave the door open for convenience. Well, it has been 8 years, so I hope this kind of problem will never happen again.

Err, not sure if I have scared some of you. I am still living close by the campus and will recommend anybody moving here. Just be aware of your surroundings and lock the door behind you like what you would do elsewhere.


You wouldn't dare to drive through where I live :) (it's a good thing) Stanford sounds dreamy.

User avatar
icecreamcicle
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby icecreamcicle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:37 pm

The Stig wrote:
PPS, knock your avatar is awesome.


+1, it's great!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
aimee wrote:I live 5 miles away from the school and go to all the football home games. Really wish I can get in.


So is the area as nice as I imagine it to me?


Yes :D


Wow isn't this early for you?

Maybe we need some pictures of the surrounding area, not just the school.


Had a 7am final, ugh. Oh well, i'm back now and ready to receive any phone calls that may or may not come :).

zarabenjamin
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:51 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby zarabenjamin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:20 pm

hmmm i wonder if any calls are coming out today!!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:22 pm

icecreamcicle wrote:
The Stig wrote:
PPS, knock your avatar is awesome.


+1, it's great!


Haha thanks guys, I glad you like it :lol:. I <3 Dean Deal!

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:36 pm

1 final down 2 more and 2 pages of a paper to go... come on Stanford give me some happiness to make up for my inability to find a crappy job.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:37 pm

tkgrrett wrote:1 final down 2 more and 2 pages of a paper to go... come on Stanford give me some happiness to make up for my inability to find a crappy job.


Done with all my finals. C'mon S, return my love :P.

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby The Stig » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Knock wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:1 final down 2 more and 2 pages of a paper to go... come on Stanford give me some happiness to make up for my inability to find a crappy job.


Done with all my finals. C'mon S, return my love :P.


So jealous that you guys are done/almost done...i'm not done until the 21st :roll:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, apricots, beantheshadow, brinicolec, canafsa, guybourdin, hammy393, jtn123, lawof11, mccracal, mm2368, MSNbot Media, NotAGolfer, proteinshake, sspeckk, UltimateSplitter, vho1791 and 31 guests