Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Weirdlog

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Weirdlog » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:54 pm

Amazingly, still alive, too.

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:37 am

this is all just like facebook... at the beginning we get a bunch of friend requests from too many people... then you accept the friends you like, deny the people you really don't, and then keep a bunchhh waiting in your notifications bar until one day you decide that you want to be clutter free and just click ignore on all of them in a row...

but there is still always that one person that you meant to accept but just forgot in that group.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:06 am

mcweanis wrote:
duckmoney wrote:So I'm thinking about withdrawing just because of the hastle an acceptance would cause me at this point if I somehow magically got in. I'm in at Chicago and the fiancé got into teach for America in Chicago, meaning she has a guaranteed job there that can lead to a lot of great career options down the road. If I went to Stanford she would have to turn that down and try to find a teaching job in California.

Also, first choice career is JAG (fully covered by chicagos lrap) and second choice is firm practice in Florida. Although a clerkship would be pretty cool, and I know stanford wins hands down.

Would Stanford even be worth it for me? Advice of fellow pending folks would be appreciated.

just for the sake of your fiancee i would take chicago. dont take that opportunity away from her!!

I was leaning towards that, thanks for the advice!

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:58 am

glitched wrote:this is all just like facebook... at the beginning we get a bunch of friend requests from too many people... then you accept the friends you like, deny the people you really don't, and then keep a bunchhh waiting in your notifications bar until one day you decide that you want to be clutter free and just click ignore on all of them in a row...

but there is still always that one person that you meant to accept but just forgot in that group.

This is so true...It's also my fear about Stanford: I'm hanging around not because they're seriously still considering me, but because they don't care enough about me to even reject me!

Also, I kind of wish I were still in college and finishing up a senior thesis like everyone else in this thread. At least back then I had plenty of real world distractions. Now I just work at a lame dead-end job and am too poor to do anything fun... :( Can't wait to start law school!

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:09 am

juliachild-ish wrote:
glitched wrote:this is all just like facebook... at the beginning we get a bunch of friend requests from too many people... then you accept the friends you like, deny the people you really don't, and then keep a bunchhh waiting in your notifications bar until one day you decide that you want to be clutter free and just click ignore on all of them in a row...

This is so true...It's also my fear about Stanford: I'm hanging around not because they're seriously still considering me, but because they don't care enough about me to even reject me!

Also, I kind of wish I were still in college and finishing up a senior thesis like everyone else in this thread. At least back then I had plenty of real world distractions. Now I just work at a lame dead-end job and am too poor to do anything fun... :( Can't wait to start law school!

it's a double-edged sword. law school admissions neuroticism can easily distract you from the senior thesis, instead of the other way around...

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 am

juliachild-ish wrote:

I graduated in Dec. and am now temporarily working in an analyst position. I have no idea how people do this. TLS/gmail/espn breaks are the only thing that keeps me from breaking the windows with a laser printer and jumping out to freedom.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:24 am

tkgrrett wrote:I graduated in Dec. and am now temporarily working in an analyst position. I have no idea how people do this. TLS/gmail/espn breaks are the only thing that keeps me from breaking the windows with a laser printer and jumping out to freedom.

How are you going to survive as a lawyer?

Although I guess it's somewhat different when you know it's temporary.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:34 am

bdubs wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:I graduated in Dec. and am now temporarily working in an analyst position. I have no idea how people do this. TLS/gmail/espn breaks are the only thing that keeps me from breaking the windows with a laser printer and jumping out to freedom.

my hope is that whatever pi lawyering job i end up doing will AT LEAST be difficult, hopefully intellectually challenging, and fulfilling. my job now is none of the above (basically the bitch for everyone in the office - designing flyers, stuffing envelopes, updating the website..)

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 am

mcweanis wrote:
bdubs wrote:

my hope is that whatever pi lawyering job i end up doing will AT LEAST be difficult, hopefully intellectually challenging, and fulfilling. my job now is none of the above (basically the bitch for everyone in the office - designing flyers, stuffing envelopes, updating the website..)

+a bunch. I hate working in a cubicle, sure, but I would hate it a lot less if it weren't completely mindless and idiotic. I can feel my brain cells wasting away every day...

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:52 am

bdubs wrote:

Yeah a big part of the problem now is that A) Since Im temporary, I take a technical role on most of the projects so I dont travel for face to face meetings and I dont always know the full scope of the project. Basically I do grunt work of building out the process without being involved in the payoff of seeing everything come together at meetings, kickoffs, etc. B ) My group does a lot of strategy/consulting work so a huge portion of our work is making powerpoint slides and making things incrdibly idiot proof and C) They are doing me a huge favor by giving me this job so I work for basically half of what a real analyst makes (still not terrible considering I have no bills). Being bored would be a lot more bearable for double the money.

inandout1

Postby inandout1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 pm

no movement today either I bet.... sTANFORD YOU SOB!!!! (foams at mouth)

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:26 pm

just to spice things up, I'll bet that there will be at least one DSL reported here today.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:38 pm

misterbingley wrote:just to spice things up, I'll bet that there will be at least one admit phone call reported here today.

ftfy

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:40 pm

bleedblue wrote:
misterbingley wrote:just to spice things up, I'll bet that there will be at least one admit phone call reported here today.

ftfy

I like that one much better. :P

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm still not sure whether to be flattered or disgusted with myself. Being the classic borderline candidate and not an auto-admit/reject does up the intrigue factor about their perception of you...no? lol

TheGreatWait

Postby TheGreatWait » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:51 pm

My deferment request was officially granted today, which means there is definitely at least one spot in the class that hasn't been filled. I hope one of you guys gets it (or ideally all of you guys)!

Bulldog05

Postby Bulldog05 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:58 pm

I went complete in early Feb and never sent a LOCI. Is there any reason to send one now or should I wait to see if I get waitlisted?

inandout1

Postby inandout1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Bulldog05 wrote:I went complete in early Feb and never sent a LOCI. Is there any reason to send one now or should I wait to see if I get waitlisted?

not really... unless you did something significant between now and then that is worth talking for one page about..... otherwise, I believe Dean Deal wrote a blog post about not cluttering her inbox w/ useless crap......lol

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Bulldog05 wrote:I went complete in early Feb and never sent a LOCI. Is there any reason to send one now or should I wait to see if I get waitlisted?

You should have sent a LOCI yesterday. (Just my two cents.)

thebigtinman

Postby thebigtinman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:22 pm

Never posted before, but registered to say DLS today. Some time in the last few hours.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:26 pm

thebigtinman wrote:Never posted before, but registered to say DLS today. Some time in the last few hours.

Sorry to hear, but at least there's movement. I'm sure you have plenty of other great options.

Personally I'm ready for DLS; let me move on with my life.

inandout1

Postby inandout1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:45 pm

looks like mr. bing was right. One dls today.... now they should be going home....

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:26 pm

yay, i guess...sigh

KirkwoodGAO

Postby KirkwoodGAO » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:00 pm

inandout1 wrote:looks like mr. bing was right. One dls today.... now they should be going home....

At least 2 DLS today. I just got one.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:02 pm

KirkwoodGAO wrote:
inandout1 wrote:looks like mr. bing was right. One dls today.... now they should be going home....

At least 2 DLS today. I just got one.

3. Just DLSed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”