Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dany

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Dany » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:19 am

d34dluk3 wrote:I'd like to introduce Dany. As Knock's admissions and scholarship consultant, she'll be handling any questions directed to him in the future.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:11 pm

It's 1:11 PST-- there's got to be some calls soon . . . !

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:16 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:It's 1:11 PST-- there's got to be some calls soon . . . !

My phone is by my side.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Knock wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:It's 1:11 PST-- there's got to be some calls soon . . . !

My phone is by my side in front of me.

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Guys I asked this once before, but I want to get more feedback. How long should I wait before sending a LOCI? (UR 1/28). Two months? more?

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:40 pm

SLS2011 wrote:Guys I asked this once before, but I want to get more feedback. How long should I wait before sending a LOCI? (UR 1/28). Two months? more?

I'd send it now simple because we're just about at the end of the cycle. Assuming you have something worthwhile to include in your LOCI. If you wait too much longer it may be too late.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Knock wrote:
SLS2011 wrote:Guys I asked this once before, but I want to get more feedback. How long should I wait before sending a LOCI? (UR 1/28). Two months? more?

I'd send it now simple because we're just about at the end of the cycle. Assuming you have something worthwhile to include in your LOCI. If you wait too much longer it may be too late.

I agree, most of the final decisions came in the first 2 weeks of April last year. The files are probably going to committee soon.

PS- I sent a letter this morning and received a confirmation that it was added to my file almost immediately. I would hope they would have told me if it was too late.

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Knock wrote:

The thing is I'm not sure what "something worthwhile" means for me. I'm a non-traditional applicant with many years of WE. Not much has changed since the UR date. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to just send a LOCI saying that I'm dying to go to SLS. I already have two targeted rec letters, and a "Why Stanford" essay.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

SLS2011 wrote:
Knock wrote:

The thing is I'm not sure what "something worthwhile" means for me. I'm a non-traditional applicant with many years of WE. Not much has changed since the UR date. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to just send a LOCI saying that I'm dying to go to SLS. I already have two targeted rec letters, and a "Why Stanford" essay.

Well, do you have different things to say than in your Why Stanford essay? My first instinct is to say that if you have a Why Stanford, it might be overkill to send in a LOCI. But if you have something different or new I'd consider it. On the other hand, I can understand wanting to leave everything out on the table and know that I got my decision after presenting the best possible case for myself, so it's tough.
Last edited by Knock on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgir

Postby tgir » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

SLS2011 wrote:

Personally, I think that if you already sent a "Why Stanford" essay, you're covered.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:53 pm

tgir wrote:
SLS2011 wrote:

Personally, I think that if you already sent a "Why Stanford" essay, you're covered.

I agree. I didn't do a "Why Stanford" per se, so I sent in an LOCI. I don't think I would have, otherwise. What more is there to say? I don't think they would be too impressed with any updates, unless you won the Rhodes since you submitted your application...

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Knock wrote:

My phone is by my side.

I feel like this has become a game of watching water boil.

If I just look away...

Nope, can't do it.

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Knock wrote:
SLS2011 wrote:
Knock wrote:

Well, do you have different things to say than in your Why Stanford essay? My first instinct is to say that if you have a Why Stanford, it might be overkill to send in a LOCI. But if you have something different or new I'd consider it. On the other hand, I can understand wanting to leave everything out on the table and know that I got my decision after presenting the best possible case for myself, so it's tough.

In the Why Stanford essay, I talked bout my goals and how Stanford is the best for my particular area of interest. I also talked about my unique WE. I didn't brag about how my WE can be a contributing factor, thinking if I did so, they will say: "Duh? we have enough brain cells to connect the dots!"

Will a LOCI with a reinforcing tone about why Stanford is "the one" and how my background can contribute to the SLS community be a good idea?

tikiman6

Postby tikiman6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 pm

I could also use some advice: I didn't do targeted LOR's or a Why Stanford. I went UR 2/10, and I also got a nice internship since I applied. It hasn't been long since UR, but should I send in an LOCI? Also, I visited since I applied, and thought it was amazing. I really don't want to be "that guy" that bugs them either.

Thanks for any suggestions

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Well, the good news is we made it through another weekday without being DLSed :) .

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:59 pm

tikiman6 wrote:I could also use some advice: I didn't do targeted LOR's or a Why Stanford. I went UR 2/10, and I also got a nice internship since I applied. It hasn't been long since UR, but should I send in an LOCI? Also, I visited since I applied, and thought it was amazing. I really don't want to be "that guy" that bugs them either.

Thanks for any suggestions

Hard call, but ask yourself: would this info, if known, push you from reject to WL or WL to accept? THAT's what you should send in.

If not, hold on to it for a great WL LOCI and combine it with anything else that comes up in the next month or two.

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Well, the good news is we made it through another weekday without being DLSed :) .

Another day of false hope and jerky motions whenever my phone rings...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:02 am

cardinals1989 wrote:

My phones has been very silent lately. At least I am going to be too distracted to obsess over the phone these few weeks.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:05 am

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

My phones has been very silent lately. At least I am going to be too distracted to obsess over the phone these few weeks.

Yeah, my next month is great/hellacious all rolled into one. Still, I know I won't be able to forget about it now. We literally have a few weeks to a month before this is over. SCARY.

I don't even want to think about months on the WL. But I would take it Stanford. Orrr...you could just accept me.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:06 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Yeah, my next month is great/hellacious all rolled into one. Still, I know I won't be able to forget about it now. We literally have a few weeks to a month before this is over. SCARY.

I don't even want to think about months on the WL. But I would take it Stanford. Orrr...you could just accept me.

24 days for me :shock:.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:17 am

Knock wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

What's this thread going to be without you?!?!?!?!

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
Knock wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

:cry:. I'll still be around rooting for you guys.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:19 am

If I can't get in, I will take the WL and ride it out. I guess same goes for H.

In the mean time, I have to be in DC all day tomorrow, a ASW this weekend, and maybe a trip back down to Charlottesville next weekend, and out to Berkeley the following.

Wait, ASW is 2 and an half weeks away? It doesn't look good does it? :?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:19 am

Knock wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
Knock wrote:

Somehow I think we would all find out before 24 days are up.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:20 am

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
Knock wrote:

Somehow I think we would all find out before 24 days are up.

I hope so.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 am

r6_philly wrote:If I can't get in, I will take the WL and ride it out. I guess same goes for H.

In the mean time, I have to be in DC all day tomorrow, a ASW this weekend, and maybe a trip back down to Charlottesville next weekend, and out to Berkeley the following.

Wait, ASW is 2 and an half weeks away? It doesn't look good does it? :?

People will still be getting in in the next 2 and a half weeks-they will be doing the last round of review. I think if you aren't in by the start of ASW, it is probably a WL or ding. Just means we are going to be hearing....real soon. *gulp*

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”