Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:41 am

cardinals1989 wrote:Does anyone know if the office remains open during quarter break?

I thought there really wasn't a break on LSN last year.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:54 am

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Does anyone know if the office remains open during quarter break?

Looking at it now, you are right, there are decisions coming in throughout the break week. One acceptance on Friday, the rest rejections. Of course, we don't know if the rejections were sent beforehand, but I guess the call indicates they are working throughout the week. Who knows.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:57 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Looking at it now, you are right, there are decisions coming in throughout the break week. One acceptance on Friday, the rest rejections. Of course, we don't know if the rejections were sent beforehand, but I guess the call indicates they are working throughout the week. Who knows.

I try not to think about it. I would be elated if I get a call, but in the mean time everything else is moving forward. Oh how I dream of Stanford but don't want to be caught in my own hope.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:00 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Pretty sure school offices don't typically take the same breaks as the students. It's not really professional.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:10 am

r6_philly wrote:
I try not to think about it. I would be elated if I get a call, but in the mean time everything else is moving forward. Oh how I dream of Stanford but don't want to be caught in my own hope.

Yeah...I wish I had self control, but I just can't give up my little glimmer of hope.

d34dluk3 wrote:Pretty sure school offices don't typically take the same breaks as the students. It's not really professional.

Hmmm..it seems like a lot of the threads here assumed offices were closing during breaks (not in any way saying that that notion is correct, just putting that fact out there), and it seems like many of them have been closed on school holidays. I think I should probably stop thinking about it, but eh, what else do I have to do...homework? Pshh. :)

nakiko2003

Postby nakiko2003 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:47 am

Does anyone know how stanford informs us of the decision? My status checker just changed to "decision letter sent". Does that mean "DING"?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:48 am

nakiko2003 wrote:Does anyone know how stanford informs us of the decision? My status checker just changed to "decision letter sent". Does that mean "DING"?

You get a phone call or email if you miss that phone call if accepted. DLS without an acceptance call or email means rejection, unless they started sending out waitlists.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:58 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:Pretty sure school offices don't typically take the same breaks as the students. It's not really professional.

Hmmm..it seems like a lot of the threads here assumed offices were closing during breaks (not in any way saying that that notion is correct, just putting that fact out there), and it seems like many of them have been closed on school holidays. I think I should probably stop thinking about it, but eh, what else do I have to do...homework? Pshh. :)

Holidays, yes. It's a work holiday for the organization. Breaks, no. They are not work holidays because workplaces do not shut down for a week at a time. Professors are at work during summer and Christmas breaks, at least at my undergrad school.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:11 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Holidays, yes. It's a work holiday for the organization. Breaks, no. They are not work holidays because workplaces do not shut down for a week at a time. Professors are at work during summer and Christmas breaks, at least at my undergrad school.

Stanford closed for two weeks during Christmas break. Dean Deal specifically mentions this in her blog. While she continued to read files, no phone calls were going out. Again, I understand this was a holiday, but to say they don't close down for a week EVER is wrong. I do think they will continue to work in the office, but I just wanted to bring up this possibility.

I also believe the office shuts down for about a week (maybe more) during the summer break.

ETA: Blog posts

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admission ... dbye-2010/
http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admission ... -vacation/
Last edited by cardinals1989 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:15 am

cardinals1989 wrote:Stanford closed for two weeks during Christmas break. Dean Deal specifically mentions this in her blog. While she continued to read files, no phone calls were going out. Again, I understand this was a holiday, but to say they don't close down for a week EVER is wrong. I do think they will continue to work in the office, but I just wanted to bring up this possibility.

I also believe the office shuts down for about a week (maybe more) during the beginning of summer break.

Yeah, I am just going off of my expectations for a university schedule. They definitely could have their own idiosyncrasies.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:18 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Stanford closed for two weeks during Christmas break. Dean Deal specifically mentions this in her blog. While she continued to read files, no phone calls were going out. Again, I understand this was a holiday, but to say they don't close down for a week EVER is wrong. I do think they will continue to work in the office, but I just wanted to bring up this possibility.

I also believe the office shuts down for about a week (maybe more) during the beginning of summer break.

Yeah, I am just going off of my expectations for a university schedule. They definitely could have their own idiosyncrasies.

Definitely true. I think each university has its own way of doing things, including administrative breaks.

I wish this wasn't the only thing left to talk about at this point. Probably not much more going to happen until the WLs start, then it will be PANIC in here.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:23 am

Berkeley's admissions office was open when the university was on break. I visited during the school break. I don't think administrative offices usually close during fall/spring breaks.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:33 pm

r6_philly wrote: I try not to think about it. I would be elated if I get a call, but in the mean time everything else is moving forward. Oh how I dream of Stanford but don't want to be caught in my own hope.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." Name that book!

pleasepickme

Postby pleasepickme » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Dumbledore discussing the mirror of Erised with Harry.
(in response to post above, which for some reason didn't quote)

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:42 pm

pleasepickme wrote:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Dumbledore discussing the mirror of Erised with Harry.
(in response to post above, which for some reason didn't quote)

Hooray! You win.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:13 pm

ebeth wrote:
r6_philly wrote: I try not to think about it. I would be elated if I get a call, but in the mean time everything else is moving forward. Oh how I dream of Stanford but don't want to be caught in my own hope.

Meh, children's books are for children. HP and LOTR should be left in middle school where they belong. :P :P :P

Cue the angry mob of posters childishly defending childish books

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:30 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ebeth wrote:

Meh, children's books are for children. HP and LOTR should be left in middle school where they belong. :P :P :P

^^ reason why poster hasn't gotten into Stanford yet? perhaps

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:33 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ebeth wrote:

^^ reason why poster hasn't gotten into Stanford yet? perhaps

If liking those books is a prerequisite, I'd rather not be admitted. :twisted:

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:41 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ebeth wrote:

I'll start the mob! :D

You'd think law school applicants on an internet forum wouldn't condescend to the work of Oxford professors.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:05 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:If liking those books is a prerequisite, I'd rather not be admitted. :twisted:

I mentioned Harry Potter in my personal statement. I guess no more than one of us two is getting in :P

ew4877a

Postby ew4877a » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:20 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:If liking those books is a prerequisite, I'd rather not be admitted. :twisted:

I mentioned Harry Potter in my personal statement. I guess no more than one of us two is getting in :P

You are my hero.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:27 am

25 days until my cycle is over. Here's hoping for a last minute call from SLS.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:22 am

rjlee wrote:
Knock wrote:25 days until my cycle is over. Here's hoping for a last minute call from SLS.

why 25 days? is there promise of a decision by april 15? i thought it was april 30? here's hoping for an april 15 decision over april 30...

Another school's scholarship commitment deadline.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:01 am

Dany wrote:
rjlee wrote:
Knock wrote:25 days until my cycle is over. Here's hoping for a last minute call from SLS.

why 25 days? is there promise of a decision by april 15? i thought it was april 30? here's hoping for an april 15 decision over april 30...

Another school's scholarship commitment deadline.

I'd like to introduce Dany. As Knock's admissions and scholarship consultant, she'll be handling any questions directed to him in the future.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:12 am

d34dluk3 wrote:I'd like to introduce Dany. As Knock's admissions and scholarship consultant, she'll be handling any questions directed to him in the future.

I should have my interns handle online postings for me... :D great idea.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”