Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fish52

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby fish52 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:34 pm

ExpectLess wrote:
fish52 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Amusing moment of the day-Berkeley FB group is discussing SLS. 8)

Tons of cross-admits. These are pretty much the only two schools that have legitimate holistic admissions processes (Boalt a bit more so than Stanford). Also, rivalries tend to be pretty consuming haha

Unusual does not mean holistic, and it gets old to hear people defend Berkeley as such. They reject plenty of people with stellar numbers and great softs (people who get into Stanford, Yale, etc.). They're just very URM heavy and very California heavy in admissions. That's not holistic, it's just different criteria.

And to suggest that every other school is not holistic? And then to quantify the holistic-ness by saying that Boalt is "a bit more" holistic than Stanford? Pretty silly post.

Don't worry, you might get off the WL.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:35 pm

ExpectLess wrote:
fish52 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Amusing moment of the day-Berkeley FB group is discussing SLS. 8)

Tons of cross-admits. These are pretty much the only two schools that have legitimate holistic admissions processes (Boalt a bit more so than Stanford). Also, rivalries tend to be pretty consuming haha

Unusual does not mean holistic, and it gets old to hear people defend Berkeley as such. They reject plenty of people with stellar numbers and great softs (people who get into Stanford, Yale, etc.). They're just very URM heavy and very California heavy in admissions. That's not holistic, it's just different criteria.

And to suggest that every other school is not holistic? And then to quantify the holistic-ness by saying that Boalt is "a bit more" holistic than Stanford? Pretty silly post.

URM heavy? I thought Berkeley didn't even see the race/ethnicity of its applicants upon review of application for admittance (when I sent my app, that section automatically blanked out). They use a socio-economic questionnaire instead, which one might argue is more holistic.

As for the California heavy thing, do you have data to support this? I'm not trying to argue, I'm merely interested in this information.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:36 pm

fish52 wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:
fish52 wrote:

Don't worry, you might get off the WL.

Already withdrew. :wink:

fish52

Postby fish52 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:41 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:
fish52 wrote:

URM heavy? I thought Berkeley didn't even see the race/ethnicity of its applicants upon review of application for admittance (when I sent my app, that section automatically blanked out). They use a socio-economic questionnaire instead, which one might argue is more holistic.

As for the California heavy thing, do you have data to support this? I'm not trying to argue, I'm merely interested in this information.

They probably are California heavy... it's a state school. I'm sure Michigan and UVA have a higher proportion of in-state students, also. Schools that are heavily subsidized (granted, this is slowly becoming a thing of the past for Berkeley) have somewhat of an obligation to allow greater access to individuals from that state. I have no problem with this-- Berkeley serves the state of Californian and is still considered one of the best academic institutions in the world.

Edit- Ugh I look like a Boalt troll. Nonetheless, Dean Deal please call me. haha
Last edited by fish52 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:
fish52 wrote:

Nope, all anecdotal, although they do have an unusually large percentage of the class as California residents. This may simply be due to self-selection, but check out LSN and the acceptance trend of California residents might surprise you. I definitely was too narrow in saying URM heavy--what I should have said was favorable toward those who, as revealed through their PS or SEC questionnaire, overcame significant hardship or were part of an underrepresented group generally.

This was just my opinion about how Berkeley's process seems. My point was, however, that Berkeley has different criteria than other schools, and to simply call it holistic because it's different is to misuse the word.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:
fish52 wrote:

Berekeley has to rely on the diversity statement to guage URM-ness as a "soft" factor since they can't legally use race as a "hard" admissions factor.

Its pretty clear that they have found a way to keep their URM numbers up, since they haven't declined substantially since the implementation of the non-discrimination legislation.

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:49 pm

DLS on status checker with no email or phone call is a rejection, correct? (very much expecting this one, not particularly traumatized, just want to make sure.)

Thanks!

txl

Postby txl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:51 pm

cassidylane wrote:DLS on status checker with no email or phone call is a rejection, correct? (very much expecting this one, not particularly traumatized, just want to make sure.)

Thanks!

Unfortunately so. Sorry to hear it.

On another note: Your profile pic really looks like the Carnegie Building at Pomona College. Is it?

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:52 pm

txl wrote:
cassidylane wrote:DLS on status checker with no email or phone call is a rejection, correct? (very much expecting this one, not particularly traumatized, just want to make sure.)

Thanks!

Unfortunately so. Sorry to hear it.

On another note: Your profile pic really looks like the Carnegie Building at Pomona College. Is it?

yup :)

txl

Postby txl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:04 pm

I was '09. You?

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks!

Will you please share with us what is your UR date?

Sorry for the rejection. :cry:

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 pm

SLS2011 wrote:

Thanks!

Will you please share with us what is your UR date?

Sorry for the rejection. :cry:

Umm....I'm not sure what my UR date was, I think sometime in late January. My numbers are not spectacular for SLS, I applied based on practice LSATs when in fact I did a little worse on the actual test.

txl I pmed you so as not to burden the thread with Pomona talk :)

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:04 pm

I just bought a Mega Million Lottery ticket. It's for $200 million. If I win, I will pay the entire tuition (including the cost of living) for the class of 2014.

BackToTheOldHouse, Knock, R6, and Cardinal: you will be part of the pack as well.

And yes, I will still go to SLS even after winning the jackpot. :P

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:13 pm

SLS2011 wrote:I just bought a Mega Million Lottery ticket. It's for $200 million. If I win, I will pay the entire tuition (including the cost of living) for the class of 2014.

BackToTheOldHouse, Knock, R6, and Cardinal: you will be part of the pack as well.

QFP

(You are welcome, all.)

src42

Postby src42 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:21 pm

SLS2011 wrote:I just bought a Mega Million Lottery ticket. It's for $200 million. If I win, I will pay the entire tuition (including the cost of living) for the class of 2014.

The lottery is a tax on people who can't do math. Good luck!

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Nice. :lol:

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:29 pm

src42 wrote:

The odd is 1 in 176 million (so apparently some people can do math). But, from time to time some people win.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Hahaha. You better win :).

29 days until my cycle is over.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Just saw the dreaded dls. Expected, but painful. Complete 1/31

Good luck to anyone still standing

fish52

Postby fish52 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:35 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:Just saw the dreaded dls. Expected, but painful. Complete 1/31

Sorry to hear that :(

Question (for anyone): Do you get an email when your status updates, or do you just have to discover that nice little surprise by checking your status checker?

123kl

Postby 123kl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:37 pm

fish52 wrote:
DreamsInDigital wrote:Just saw the dreaded dls. Expected, but painful. Complete 1/31

Question (for anyone): Do you get an email when your status updates, or do you just have to discover that nice little surprise by checking your status checker?

Status checker only, I believe.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:42 pm

fish52 wrote:

no email or anything. just the split second of confusion as I open up the status checker and it looks blank...then the sinking realization when I look up to the left hand corner and see that taunting message in red.

edit- spelling
Last edited by DreamsInDigital on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeNeRegretteRien

Postby JeNeRegretteRien » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:43 pm

SLS2011 wrote:
src42 wrote:

The odd is 1 in 176 million (so apparently some people can do math). But, from time to time some people win.

In fact, unless I'm forgetting something, in this case, SLS2011 bought $1.13 of Expected Value for just $1. With 1/176M odds, a $200M payout, and a $1 ticket cost, the Net Expected Monetary Value of a the ticket is $0.13 ($1.136 - $1), so this is a good / mathematically sound bet. The stats people should be buying a ticket! Good luck SLS2011! :D

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:44 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
fish52 wrote:

no email or anything. just the split second of confusing as I open up the status checker and it looks blank...then the sinking realization when I look up to the left hand corner and see that taunting message in red.

What does it say?

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:44 pm

JeNeRegretteRien wrote:
SLS2011 wrote:
src42 wrote:

In fact, unless I'm forgetting something, in this case, SLS2011 bought $1.13 of Expected Value for just $1. With 1/176M odds, a $200M payout, and a $1 ticket cost, the Net Expected Monetary Value of a the ticket is $0.13 ($1.136 - $1), so this is a good / mathematically sound bet. The stats people should be buying a ticket! Good luck SLS2011! :D

Going to sell one of my kidneys and buy some lotto tickets.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”