Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fish52

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby fish52 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Sent in my LOCI 7 days ago... no confirmation email from Stanford. Perhaps I got caught in the spam filter? Do they always send a confirmation?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:51 pm

fish52 wrote:Sent in my LOCI 7 days ago... no confirmation email from Stanford. Perhaps I got caught in the spam filter? Do they always send a confirmation?

I would inquire into it. When I sent them an addition to my application, a confirmation came within 24h.

dot

Postby dot » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:51 pm

chup wrote:
dot wrote:
pride09 wrote:My first reaction was also 2 fridges = excessive.

Strange my reply doesn't appear to have gone through.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I am going to have to see about finding people at asw for a housing group (gender neutral, please) who feel this way.

Ash/kretzy, are you guys shopping like once a month or something?? I could see freezer space running out quickly, but with turnover of food in the fridge I don't really see how one cannot be enough. I don't think, clearly, it's impossible to nearly fill two; I just also don't think it is necessary (rains 4br do just fine with 1; I do fine with 6 people and two small/euro fridges ala freshman dorms but in our kitchen and one small freezer). Screams over-consumption in too many ways. But maybe I just have to get used to the American ways.

Don't get me wrong, 1 fridge per 4 people is doable. I lived in Rains my first year, and that was single fridge. But we also had to share a lot of stuff (milk, juice) in order to have room and even then the thing was consistently packed to the gills.

RE: Rains vs Munger. In terms of the social/study experience, would you have preferred to live in Munger for 1L or was it nice to be off in Rains, perhaps with non-law students?

Or to re-phrase, if I were to go for Munger for just one year, which year is better?

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:51 pm

jrose5 wrote:
fish52 wrote:Sent in my LOCI 7 days ago... no confirmation email from Stanford. Perhaps I got caught in the spam filter? Do they always send a confirmation?

I would inquire into it. When I sent them an addition to my application, a confirmation came within 24h.

+1

chup

Postby chup » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:10 pm

dot wrote:
chup wrote:
dot wrote:

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I am going to have to see about finding people at asw for a housing group (gender neutral, please) who feel this way.

Ash/kretzy, are you guys shopping like once a month or something?? I could see freezer space running out quickly, but with turnover of food in the fridge I don't really see how one cannot be enough. I don't think, clearly, it's impossible to nearly fill two; I just also don't think it is necessary (rains 4br do just fine with 1; I do fine with 6 people and two small/euro fridges ala freshman dorms but in our kitchen and one small freezer). Screams over-consumption in too many ways. But maybe I just have to get used to the American ways.

Don't get me wrong, 1 fridge per 4 people is doable. I lived in Rains my first year, and that was single fridge. But we also had to share a lot of stuff (milk, juice) in order to have room and even then the thing was consistently packed to the gills.

RE: Rains vs Munger. In terms of the social/study experience, would you have preferred to live in Munger for 1L or was it nice to be off in Rains, perhaps with non-law students?

Or to re-phrase, if I were to go for Munger for just one year, which year is better?

I lived in Rains my first year, and was randomly assigned to an apartment with 3 other law students. Munger was still being finished, but we hopped over to Munger last year and stayed here this year. Honestly I'm not all that big on Munger. It's kind of sterile and it's mind-boggingly expensive. I wanted to stay in Rains but was outvoted by the other roommates, and we all wanted to stick together. The apartments all have vastly different layouts, so a lot depends on your random assignment. Last year we had the smallest 4-person apartment I have seen in the Munger complex, with a bunch of long, pointless hallways leading everywhere, and my room was built without a closet. There is also a serious lack of adequate lighting in many of the apartments. That said, it's also home to like 80% of the law students who live on campus, so in terms of location it can't be beat.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:21 pm

I'd like some more movement please Dean Deal :D

timmna

Postby timmna » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:22 pm

I asked this in the "In at Stanford" thread, but I'll repost here. Can anyone currently at SLS tell me if pets are allowed in any on-campus apartments at all?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:24 pm

timmna wrote:I asked this in the "In at Stanford" thread, but I'll repost here. Can anyone currently at SLS tell me if pets are allowed in any on-campus apartments at all?

I was told by my friend at GSB that no dogs are allowed in any graduate housing...

timmna

Postby timmna » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:31 pm

bdubs wrote:
timmna wrote:I asked this in the "In at Stanford" thread, but I'll repost here. Can anyone currently at SLS tell me if pets are allowed in any on-campus apartments at all?

I was told by my friend at GSB that no dogs are allowed in any graduate housing...

I have a cat, but I'm afraid it might be true for cats as well...

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:34 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:I'd like some more movement please Dean Deal :D

+1

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:35 pm

timmna wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I have a cat, but I'm afraid it might be true for cats as well...

Edit: I have a cat and dog. So no on campus housing for me anywhere! :(

pride09

Postby pride09 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:05 pm

chup wrote:
dot wrote:

That makes sense. I'm thinking of my current situation where I live in a house with three other people and we've never run out of space. But we do share big items like milk, and one very rarely cooks. How convenient are grocery stores for someone without a car? (I think this was discussed in some school's thread-possibly this one?-but I forget where.)

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Nothing? No DLS...no acceptances?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:46 pm

pride09 wrote:That makes sense. I'm thinking of my current situation where I live in a house with three other people and we've never run out of space. But we do share big items like milk, and one very rarely cooks. How convenient are grocery stores for someone without a car? (I think this was discussed in some school's thread-possibly this one?-but I forget where.)

Not hard. The Marguerite (free shuttle) takes you right to Town and Country, which has a Trader Joe's. A good number of people bike there. There's also a very overpriced market in Munger, if you get particularly lazy. But it's super pricey, even by Stanford-area standards.

Lots of folks will have a car, though, and a large Safeway is within 2 miles of campus, and there's a CostCo within 10 minutes if you really want to stock up. There's also a zipcar service that a few people use.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Kretzky put in a good word for me!

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Knock wrote:Kretzky put in a good word for me!

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Kretzy wrote:
pride09 wrote:That makes sense. I'm thinking of my current situation where I live in a house with three other people and we've never run out of space. But we do share big items like milk, and one very rarely cooks. How convenient are grocery stores for someone without a car? (I think this was discussed in some school's thread-possibly this one?-but I forget where.)

Not hard. The Marguerite (free shuttle) takes you right to Town and Country, which has a Trader Joe's. A good number of people bike there. There's also a very overpriced market in Munger, if you get particularly lazy. But it's super pricey, even by Stanford-area standards.

Lots of folks will have a car, though, and a large Safeway is within 2 miles of campus, and there's a CostCo within 10 minutes if you really want to stock up. There's also a zipcar service that a few people use.

Marguerite :)

--ImageRemoved--

dot

Postby dot » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:17 pm

The Stig wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Nice. I must say, I appreciate the sex-free environment of the shuttle bus.

tgir

Postby tgir » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:18 pm

The Stig wrote:
--ImageRemoved--

Bahahaha.

txl

Postby txl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:10 pm

So it looks like last year, there were 59 total LSN acceptances to SLS. I only count 34 for this year. Assuming LSN participation is roughly equal, does this leave hope for a big chunk of acceptances the first week of April? Just trying to be optimistic...

alive

Postby alive » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:48 pm

txl wrote:So it looks like last year, there were 59 total LSN acceptances to SLS. I only count 34 for this year. Assuming LSN participation is roughly equal, does this leave hope for a big chunk of acceptances the first week of April? Just trying to be optimistic...

It appears that number of Stanford applicants on LSN is also down significantly. So either LSN participation as a percentage of total applicant pool is down, or the number of applications is down significantly.

hope it is the latter...

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:59 pm

Keep in mind that a number of applicants don't release their info until after their cycle is over--so it is unsurprising that there are fewer applicants reporting thus far.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:59 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:Keep in mind that a number of applicants don't release their info until after their cycle is over--so it is unsurprising that there are fewer applicants reporting thus far.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:08 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:Keep in mind that a number of applicants don't release their info until after their cycle is over--so it is unsurprising that there are fewer applicants reporting thus far.

Someone go and obsess over the "updated" date in connection with the decision date and see how many of them updated by this time last year. 8)

may

Postby may » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Someone go and obsess over the "updated" date in connection with the decision date and see how many of them updated by this time last year. 8)

Wouldn't be very effective. "Updated" date changes to reflect when the applicant selects 'Attending,' 'Withdrawn,' or 'Deferred.' Most of the Stanford admits reported one of those at some point, so the "update" date reflects that change rather than when a decision was reported.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”