Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bleedblue
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby bleedblue » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Weirdlog wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Well, there's ten more minutes until the end of the business day--any history of Stanford calls going out after 5pm?

If not, then I guess I should be happy to have made it through this day (almost), without being DLS'd . . .


We seem to be in almost the exact same boat, BTTOH. I don't think we've had a reported DLS in a little while, so I'm getting afraid these next couple weeks might be a slaughterfest.

Definitely seems that all of the recent admits have been URMs. I'm guessing they have us in different piles and are working through them sequentially.


My guess is they are going through the holds that are URM. Then will go back through the non URM holds. Maybe...I may no nothing at all.

User avatar
Magi228
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Magi228 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Got my call today! Yes, I am a URM for those who are curious

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 pm

Magi228 wrote:Got my call today! Yes, I am a URM for those who are curious


Congrats! URM type/#s?

User avatar
Magi228
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Magi228 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Knock wrote:
Magi228 wrote:Got my call today! Yes, I am a URM for those who are curious


Congrats! URM type/#s?



Thanks! Was completely not expecting the call, so it was quite the pleasant surprise.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whiterobedwall/jd

^ My info

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby aesis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Magi228 wrote:
Knock wrote:
Magi228 wrote:Got my call today! Yes, I am a URM for those who are curious


Congrats! URM type/#s?



Thanks! Was completely not expecting the call, so it was quite the pleasant surprise.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whiterobedwall/jd

^ My info


Congrats to you and all recent admits! Quite envious.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 am

Fuck!

Sorry, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Please call me tomorrow Dean Deal.

Kurst
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Kurst » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:54 am

Something tells me Knock's call from Faye is overdue...

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Pics from my visit this weekend!

Main Buildings

Image

Image

Image

Image


Quad Outside of the Law School

Image

Image

Image


Interior of the Law School

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image




Library

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


New Law School Building (should be done by ASW)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I'll post more of Munger/the campus later!

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:35 pm

............The wait is killing me.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:37 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:............The wait is killing me.


I know it's not gonna happen for me. I have almost pledged to myself to not check this thread anymore . . . but I can't bring myself to stay away.

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Yea....Well I would just like to know. I don't see why it has to be dragged out so much.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Damn, SLS is so beautiful. It hurts inside to look at the pics though :lol:.

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Knock wrote:Damn, SLS is so beautiful. It hurts inside to look at the pics though :lol:.


:D

Munger pics! I tried to get at least one picture of each of the 5 buildings..


Munger!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:47 pm

:shock:. Let me in please Dean Deal!

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby gatorgirl4life » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:48 pm

Knock wrote::shock:. Let me in please Dean Deal!


Knock, I feel like I can just +1 everything you post. haha

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:49 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:
Knock wrote::shock:. Let me in please Dean Deal!


Knock, I feel like I can just +1 everything you post. haha


Please do :P.

ETA: The Stig, if the whole law thing doesn't work out, you have a nice backup career in photography.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:51 pm

The Stig wrote:
Knock wrote:Damn, SLS is so beautiful. It hurts inside to look at the pics though :lol:.


:D

Munger pics! I tried to get at least one picture of each of the 5 buildings..


Thanks for the pics Stig. Munger looks nicer than the other/previous graduate housing at S, although it is pretty pricey.

How did SLS compare to some of your other visits? Aside from the fact that the location is better than any other top school.

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby aesis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Just some impressions from my visit in February.

SLS is kind of lackluster/boring compared to the rest of the school. The rest of the campus is gorgeous and the weather fairly cold in February [(redacted)], but easily tolerable. I visited a few weeks back, but never got around to processing my photos.

I also was pretty concerned that when I sat in on a class of 1Ls I counted 12 out of 60 students who were non-white, and I was even giving people the benefit of the doubt in being "colored." I'm not sure about the rest of the campus since I didn't spend enough time to really gauge the diversity. I grew up in a sea of white, and UG opened my eyes to the importance of diversity. Stanford has been my dream school since 8th grade, but this aspect alone seriously made me question if SLS is for me. Just something to consider, I guess.

Later impressions of Menlo Park and Palo Alto/Downtown Palo Alto didn't really help either. [redacted so I don't out myself] Stanford is a similar suburban vacuum. The mall/downtown area nearby is nice, but nothing extravagant/exquisite and nowhere near the caliber of Los Angeles shopping/restaurant diversity. It's suburban life, straight up. SF is still pretty far (40-60 minutes), so I wouldn't rely on it.

That said, I would choose Stanford over any other school for the weather, job prospects, ridiculously friendly atmosphere/staff, and its IP programs. I probably won't get in anyway, but thought I'd add some personal impressions. If anyone can speak to the issues of diversity, chime in, of course. R6?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:12 pm

aesis wrote:That said, I would choose Stanford over any other school for the weather, job prospects, ridiculously friendly atmosphere/staff, and its IP programs. I probably won't get in anyway, but thought I'd add some personal impressions. If anyone can speak to the issues of diversity, chime in, of course. R6?


I was hoping you'd say you wouldn't choose Stanford, even if it translate to a 0.001% chance increase. haha (jk of course)

As for diversity... I saw a lot of Asians. Which could really hurt my chances. But I have to be honest I have not seen any law school being really diverse. Well I have never really seen a university that is truly diverse, like my own surroundings. I know many schools boast their 30-45% students of color, but you are right we usually just see a lot of whites and a lot of Asians. So if you don't count Asians ...

They have admitted several highly qualified minorities lately, I think this coming class will be just fine.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:14 pm

aesis wrote:Just some impressions from my visit in February.

SLS is kind of lackluster/boring compared to the rest of the school. The rest of the campus is gorgeous and the weather fairly cold in February [(redacted)], but easily tolerable. I visited a few weeks back, but never got around to processing my photos.

I also was pretty concerned that when I sat in on a class of 1Ls I counted 12 out of 60 students who were non-white, and I was even giving people the benefit of the doubt in being "colored." I'm not sure about the rest of the campus since I didn't spend enough time to really gauge the diversity. I grew up in a sea of white, and UG opened my eyes to the importance of diversity. Stanford has been my dream school since 8th grade, but this aspect alone seriously made me question if SLS is for me. Just something to consider, I guess.

Later impressions of Menlo Park and Palo Alto/Downtown Palo Alto didn't really help either. [redacted so I don't out myself] Stanford is a similar suburban vacuum. The mall/downtown area nearby is nice, but nothing extravagant/exquisite and nowhere near the caliber of Los Angeles shopping/restaurant diversity. It's suburban life, straight up. SF is still pretty far (40-60 minutes), so I wouldn't rely on it.

That said, I would choose Stanford over any other school for the weather, job prospects, ridiculously friendly atmosphere/staff, and its IP programs. I probably won't get in anyway, but thought I'd add some personal impressions. If anyone can speak to the issues of diversity, chime in, of course. R6?


Racial diversity isn't the only type of diversity though, of course.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Knock wrote:
Racial diversity isn't the only type of diversity though, of course.


If you are implying being social-economically disadvantaged (but not racially) gets anyone a boost in admissions I'd like to know what school.

User avatar
hdivschool
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby hdivschool » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:18 pm

aesis wrote:I also was pretty concerned that when I sat in on a class of 1Ls I counted 12 out of 60 students who were non-white, and I was even giving people the benefit of the doubt in being "colored." I'm not sure about the rest of the campus since I didn't spend enough time to really gauge the diversity. I grew up in a sea of white, and UG opened my eyes to the importance of diversity. Stanford has been my dream school since 8th grade, but this aspect alone seriously made me question if SLS is for me. Just something to consider, I guess.

Your observation is definitely something to consider, but it could've been an anomaly between sections. Or that skin color wasn't an accurate predictor of how people self-identified.

Stanford, Harvard, and Yale report virtually identical minority presence (36-37%). So, unfortunately things aren't going to be any better if you're choosing among those three.

Also, there are other academically valuable types of diversity besides race.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
Racial diversity isn't the only type of diversity though, of course.


If you are implying being social-economically disadvantaged (but not racially) gets anyone a boost in admissions I'd like to know what school.


I'm not implying that it gets anyone a boost in admissions. I was talking in terms of choosing a school, if diversity is important to you. Diversity of experience, socioeconomic diversity, etc.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
Racial diversity isn't the only type of diversity though, of course.


If you are implying being social-economically disadvantaged (but not racially) gets anyone a boost in admissions I'd like to know what school.


Berkeley.

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby aesis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:But I have to be honest I have not seen any law school being really diverse. Well I have never really seen a university that is truly diverse, like my own surroundings. I know many schools boast their 30-45% students of color, but you are right we usually just see a lot of whites and a lot of Asians.
'

I guess the root of my qualm is that law schools aren't diverse as it is, and when you're attending law school in a city that mirrors that lack of diversity (as opposed to NYC, LA, Austin, Cambridge (?), DC, etc.), the effect is augmented.

I love you Stanford! ... Make my dreams come true!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Nickel94, notnecessarilyproper, pandaaa, RictusErectus, rizzlebizness, TakeItToTrial, Zoe107 and 9 guests