Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
niederbomb

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:26 am

Knock wrote:
niederbomb wrote:Why is Stanford's median LSAT so low?

I am 170, 3.9X, but I have another, lower LSAT in the low 160's from October. However, I had to fly to a different country to take it, so I noted that on my addendum.

Seriously, any chance at Stanford? Just went complete. Of course I'd go there at sticker if I got in.

You have a chance, but SLS softs and the entire application package is important.

What kind of softs? Do they have to be academic softs? Besides a high GPA, I don't have much in this area. My UG school was a small, private religious school, and I don't have a Masters, never got anything published, but I've had some interesting work experience + a very interesting life story. I got into Penn 3 weeks after applying in late January. Not sure if it means anything though. Stanford >>>>>>>>>Penn.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:31 am

niederbomb wrote:
Knock wrote:

I am 170, 3.9X, but I have another, lower LSAT in the low 160's from October. However, I had to fly to a different country to take it, so I noted that on my addendum.

Seriously, any chance at Stanford? Just went complete. Of course I'd go there at sticker if I got in.

You have a chance, but SLS softs and the entire application package is important.

What kind of softs? Do they have to be academic softs? Besides a high GPA, I don't have much in this area. My UG school was a small, private religious school, and I don't have a Masters, never got anything published, but I've had some interesting work experience + a very interesting life story. I got into Penn 3 weeks after applying in late January. Not sure if it means anything though. Stanford >>>>>>>>>Penn.

It's really hard to say, there's no one size fit all softs that will get someone in, that's why SLS has a reputation of being somewhat of a black box for admissions. Your quick turnaround on Penn isn't likely indicative of anything except Penn liked your application.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:36 am

Knock wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
Knock wrote:

It's really hard to say, there's no one size fit all softs that will get someone in, that's why SLS has a reputation of being somewhat of a black box for admissions. Your quick turnaround on Penn isn't likely indicative of anything except Penn liked your application.

+1

Hate to break it to you, but I don't think it shows much aside from the fact that you may have a strong, overall application. However, history has shown us that this alone is not sufficient for admission to SLS... they are known to be somewhat of a black box, as the poster above said.

Try to be patient! Be glad you have Penn at least - some of us applied earlier and are still waiting! :D

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:52 am

Hate to break it to you, but I don't think it shows much aside from the fact that you may have a strong, overall application. However, history has shown us that this alone is not sufficient for admission to SLS... they are known to be somewhat of a black box, as the poster above said.

Try to be patient! Be glad you have Penn at least - some of us applied earlier and are still waiting! :D

Black box is right. Here's a non-URM who was outright rejected from UVA and Penn who got into Stanford.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Destined/jd

I guess S doesn't even care about GPA as much as people say.

I was pretty happy to go complete at Stanford. My Dean's Cert and Statement of Instructor were sent back in August, and I applied in late January. I was afraid they had discarded them.

I didn't expect to get in anywhere this cycle. But my 3-day turnaround at Vandy, 6 days at UT, and 24 days at Penn have given me hope.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:54 am

niederbomb wrote:

Black box is right. Here's a non-URM who was outright rejected from UVA and Penn who got into Stanford.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Destined/jd

I guess S doesn't even care about GPA as much as people say.

I was pretty happy to go complete at Stanford. My Dean's Cert and Statement of Instructor were sent back in August, and I applied in late January. I was afraid they had discarded them.

They care a lot about GPA but aren't afraid to make exceptions for applicants they want.

http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:08 am

I'm sitting here checking my status. Again. Why do I do this to myself? Blerg. When did people say Dean Deal was coming back?

hellome

Postby hellome » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 am

Hey-O wrote:I'm sitting here checking my status. Again. Why do I do this to myself? Blerg. When did people say Dean Deal was coming back?

23rd

mikstew

Postby mikstew » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Another day starts another agonizing week of uncertainty. But who's counting?

On another note, does everyone else's SLS app have an entry for "Misconduct Explanation (if applicable)" with a checkmark beside it? Or is it just me because I have been a bad, bad boy.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:32 pm

mikstew wrote:Another day starts another agonizing week of uncertainty. But who's counting?

On another note, does everyone else's SLS app have an entry for "Misconduct Explanation (if applicable)" with a checkmark beside it? Or is it just me because I have been a bad, bad boy.

I have it too and I have not been bad to my knowledge.

glitched

Postby glitched » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:33 pm

do you think it might be too late for me to submit an update/LOCI? I recently was unofficially promoted and have been doing much more interesting work at my job. i work in a science lab so i went from filing logs to actually helping interpret and analyze data. Do you think it's worth writing this?

If so, two quick questions:
1. what is the recommended length? I don't want to write anything too long, but anything too short looks kind of lazy.
2. what format do you send it in and if by email, as a pdf attachment or in the body, and also what is the subject line of the email?

Thanks guys.

edit: could sending something in ever HURT my chances? jc

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

glitched wrote:do you think it might be too late for me to submit a LOCI? I recently was unofficially promoted and have been doing much more interesting work at my job. i work in a science lab so i went from filing logs to actually helping interpret and analyze data. Do you think it's worth writing the LOCI?

If so, two quick questions:
1. what is the recommended length? I don't want to write anything too long, but anything too short looks kind of lazy.
2. what format do you send it in and if by email, as a pdf attachment or in the body, and also what is the subject line of the email?

Thanks guys.

edit: could a loci ever HURT my chances? jc

1) Seems like most people have been going for 1 page single spaced
2) I think PDF attachment is the easiest format for them to work with, so I would suggest that.

3) Yes, I think an LOCI could hurt you if it diverges from your application package theme. Does your WE play a significant role in your desire to attend Stanford?

glitched

Postby glitched » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

i wrote a personal statement that showed i wanted to work in biotechnology patent law. and right now at my lab, we are working with a lot of clinical, practical, and cutting-edge technologies (some that i didn't even learn in school).

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:45 pm

glitched wrote:i wrote a personal statement that showed i wanted to work in biotechnology patent law. and right now at my lab, we are working with a lot of clinical, practical, and cutting-edge technologies (some that i didn't even learn in school).

Intimidating to compete with people like this for a 1/11 chance at admission. :)

glitched

Postby glitched » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:50 pm

niederbomb wrote:
glitched wrote:i wrote a personal statement that showed i wanted to work in biotechnology patent law. and right now at my lab, we are working with a lot of clinical, practical, and cutting-edge technologies (some that i didn't even learn in school).

Intimidating to compete with people like this for a 1/11 chance at admission. :)

lol believe me. there is nothing to be intimidated about...

i think i'm going to just write the letter. i will regret it if i don't. i just hope it's not too late.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:31 pm

glitched wrote:
niederbomb wrote:

lol believe me. there is nothing to be intimidated about...

i think i'm going to just write the letter. i will regret it if i don't. i just hope it's not too late.

If done well, this sounds like it could be a compelling letter. I would send it in, unless you know you might have some major updates soon. If this is so, I would hold off and compile these to avoid a deluge of updates.

Also, I agree that PDF attachment to email would be easiest for them. Keep it to a page or less, I would think.

glitched

Postby glitched » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:57 pm

anyone want to read a LOCI? haha

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 pm

glitched wrote:anyone want to read a LOCI? haha

Pm if you want

dc1s

Postby dc1s » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 pm

glitched wrote:anyone want to read a LOCI? haha

I'll take a look for you. Send me a PM.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Anybody have luck getting a response confirming LOCI was received? I emailed one (attached as PDF), got no response, wrote back a week later asking for confirmation; after a few days got an email saying that they did NOT get it (so it was accidentally deleted?) and that I should send again; sent again, along with request that they confirm receipt. Still no response.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:11 pm

somewhere wrote:Anybody have luck getting a response confirming LOCI was received? I emailed one (attached as PDF), got no response, wrote back a week later asking for confirmation; after a few days got an email saying that they did NOT get it (so it was accidentally deleted?) and that I should send again; sent again, along with request that they confirm receipt. Still no response.

I got a response back within a few business days. I'd call their office and straighten it out, that's pretty unusual.

coveyellow

Postby coveyellow » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:25 pm

somewhere wrote:Anybody have luck getting a response confirming LOCI was received? I emailed one (attached as PDF), got no response, wrote back a week later asking for confirmation; after a few days got an email saying that they did NOT get it (so it was accidentally deleted?) and that I should send again; sent again, along with request that they confirm receipt. Still no response.

After sending it twice with no luck, I sent it from a different email address and quickly got a confirmation. Not really sure what the deal is with that.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:31 pm

coveyellow wrote:

After sending it twice with no luck, I sent it from a different email address and quickly got a confirmation. Not really sure what the deal is with that.

What's the recommended email?

Edit: Oh, FROM a different email. Weird.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:32 pm

somewhere wrote:
coveyellow wrote:

admissions@law.stanford.edu. I'll add this to the FAQs.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:33 pm

somewhere wrote:
coveyellow wrote:

Edit: Oh, FROM a different email. Weird.

LOL at admissions using a spam filter

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:58 pm

LOL at admissions using a spam filter

How else do your protect against Regent and long letters from Candy? Stanford is registered with LSAC, too, in some capacity. I bet they get all those emails.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”