Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jtemp320

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby jtemp320 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:03 am

PS visited today...for those who haven't - yes, it is as mindblowingly awesome as you imagine in your dreams :mrgreen:

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:13 am

I agree. Everyone has a chance. Also, it's funny you mention "speech writing for President." Last year Yale admitted someone who was a speech writer for President Bush. They also admitted a model from Abercrombie and Fitch. :)

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:14 am

cardinals1989 wrote:Everyone set your alarm clocks early so you'll be awake when Dean Deal calls tomorrow!!!

Why do we think calls are coming out tomorrow?

And PS, I have Adam Wainwright's (as well as Stan Musial and Bob Gibson) autograph. Huge Cards fan...

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:15 am

Just wanted to say....I had to post on the 100th page of this thread!! Because, let's be honest, this is my favorite thread. :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:18 am

gatorgirl4life wrote:
I know 5 guys (2 friends; 2 co-workers; 1 is a friend of a friend) who went to SLS. Here is a quick profile of these guys just to give you some ideas.

One of them got four engineering degrees simultaneously! and had 3-4 years of engineering experience.
One of them invented couple of stuff and built a company.
Two of them (my friends) used to work for the prestigious consulting firm Mckinsey & Co for two years. In addition, they each had about 2-3 years of experience in the finance filed working for well known financial firms.
One of them (friend of a friend) left a 6-figure salary to go to law school (after 11 years of professional engineering experience in the IP field).

The common denominator among these people is that you can confidently tell, from a quick glance at their resume, that they are going to make it big (they already have!). This is what Stanford is interested in.

Looks like my resume minus the interesting stuff 8)

<3 me SLS!

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:30 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Everyone set your alarm clocks early so you'll be awake when Dean Deal calls tomorrow!!!

And PS, I have Adam Wainwright's (as well as Stan Musial and Bob Gibson) autograph. Huge Cards fan...

No particular reason. Blind hope?

PS-We have to be friends. AND STAN THE MAN?!?!?!?!

Casey2889

Postby Casey2889 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:45 am

tkgrrett wrote:
SLS2011 wrote:I know 5 guys (2 friends; 2 co-workers; 1 is a friend of a friend) who went to SLS. Here is a quick profile of these guys just to give you some ideas.

One of them got four engineering degrees simultaneously! and had 3-4 years of engineering experience.
Two of them (my friends) used to work for the prestigious consulting firm Mckinsey & Co for two years. In addition, they each had about 2-3 years of experience in the finance filed working for well known financial firms.
One of them (friend of a friend) left a 6-figure salary to go to law school (after 11 years of professional engineering experience in the IP field).

The common denominator among these people is that you can confidently tell, from a quick glance at their resume, that they are going to make it big (they already have!). This is what Stanford is interested in.

For those who are in undergrad, beside a solid LSAT and GPA, they need to show that they have potential and know what they want to do. Loooots of ECs and "why Stanford essay" is important for these people.

The puzzle approach that Dean Deal talks about matches this picture. They put together a class where the experience of the people above matches with the goals and ambitions of the undergrads with no experience. Now, if you are a undergrad with no experience and did not specify what do you what to do, they cannot tell how you can benefit from sitting next to the guy with four engineering degrees. In contrast, if you specifically said that you are very very interested in IP law, for example, then they know what to do with you.

From now, they start putting the puzzle together. So, pray that you are one of the pieces.

Yeah my limited experience with Stanford acceptees reflects exactly this. This is why im not optimistic about getting in.

dean deal has also said that she is, more than most, aware of distinctions b/w undergraduate schools. this seems to apply mostly (as you might imagine) to applicants still in college. if you look on LSN, for example, people admitted who were still in UG over the past 5 years have usually come from an ivy/top20 school. this is especially true once you drop to applicants admitted with lower than a 3.9....so, for those of you that fit this profile, there may yet be hope.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:52 am

cardinals1989 wrote:Just wanted to say....I had to post on the 100th page of this thread!! Because, let's be honest, this is my favorite thread. :D

I assume it's because of the awesomeness of the OP :P.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:03 am

Knock wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Just wanted to say....I had to post on the 100th page of this thread!! Because, let's be honest, this is my favorite thread. :D

I assume it's because of the awesomeness of the OP :P.

TITCR.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:13 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

Haha yep Stan the Man, my grandma ran into him outside of Shcnuck's. I saw Chris Carpenter outside of Busch Stadium in his Bentley once.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:15 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

Haha yep Stan the Man, my grandma ran into him outside of Shcnuck's. I saw Chris Carpenter outside of Busch Stadium in his Bentley once.

That's awesome!! If you can't tell, Wainwright is definitely my favorite player. Such a great guy.

/thread derail

dot

Postby dot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:04 am

l000needles wrote:

I'd rather be woken up by her call. Talk to her in an incoherent, half asleep state and then wonder until the email comes in whether that was real or just a dream. Lol.

Happened to me. My fam took me out to lunch to celebrate and I still thought it was a dream.

But had to wait for the acceptance package n tshirt (not email) to confirm it was indeed reality that I was living.

Re: apps and admitted profiles- don't beat yourselves up so much. I had a pretty quick turnaround and while I do have a set of interesting background experiences that fits very nicely with my future goals, I'm not super special/successful at 25.

Stanford was #1 choice at time of applying so I asked all 3 recommenders to specifically address Stanford n a joint degree that I want to do there, even if the lor writer didn't have a Stanford connection. Fairly sure this pushed me into "really wants to attend/will quite likely maticulate" territory n thus made me easier to accept early on.

Granted my numbers are fairly high, so that PLUS "fitting" probably sways Dean Deal into thinking it's an easier choice.

l000needles

Postby l000needles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 am

dot wrote:But had to wait for the acceptance package n tshirt (not email) to confirm it was indeed reality that I was living.

Nice! First off, congrats on the Stanford admit dot!

Secondly, I am disappointed at the lack of free things schools are giving out. Duke gave me a mini steno-pad type thing and a lanyard and Columbia gave me a bookmark (besides the journals and stuff everyone gives out). And that's it. I thought these guys were competing for us, I want more! Like t-shirts, mugs, hats, etc. Sh*t, I'll take just about anything, lol. I'm surprised to see that Stanford gives out t-shirts since they're so high up as it is. I'd have thought they'd be more like, these guys should send us free stuff if they want to get in. :D

dot

Postby dot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:34 am

l000needles wrote:
dot wrote:But had to wait for the acceptance package n tshirt (not email) to confirm it was indeed reality that I was living.

Secondly, I am disappointed at the lack of free things schools are giving out. Duke gave me a mini steno-pad type thing and a lanyard and Columbia gave me a bookmark (besides the journals and stuff everyone gives out). And that's it. I thought these guys were competing for us, I want more! Like t-shirts, mugs, hats, etc. Sh*t, I'll take just about anything, lol. I'm surprised to see that Stanford gives out t-shirts since they're so high up as it is. I'd have thought they'd be more like, these guys should send us free stuff if they want to get in. :D

Haha, can't tell how sarcastic that is. But the shirt is nice. Wish it were red/cardinal, but I guess white made sense to save costs. I've got my fingers crossed for a Yale mug :)

hoopla14

Postby hoopla14 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:05 pm

SLS2011 wrote:

I know 5 guys (2 friends; 2 co-workers; 1 is a friend of a friend) who went to SLS. Here is a quick profile of these guys just to give you some ideas.

For those who are in undergrad, beside a solid LSAT and GPA, they need to show that they have potential and know what they want to do. Loooots of ECs and "why Stanford essay" is important for these people.

The puzzle approach that Dean Deal talks about matches this picture. They put together a class where the experience of the people above matches with the goals and ambitions of the undergrads with no experience. Now, if you are a undergrad with no experience and did not specify what do you what to do, they cannot tell how you can benefit from sitting next to the guy with four engineering degrees. In contrast, if you specifically said that you are very very interested in IP law, for example, then they know what to do with you.

From now, they start putting the puzzle together. So, pray that you are one of the pieces.

This is way over the top. I have good numbers (but a sub 3.9 gpa!) and think I wrote a strong, quirky ps, but certainly I have not been obviously successful since I graduated from college almost five years ago, and did not write anything specific for Stanford (though one prof did fill out the statement of instructor), but still I got in. I'm not sure what they're looking for, but for everyone who did not helm a Fortune 500 company before applying to Stanford, don't worry, you aren't headed for the automatic reject pile.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:06 pm

hoopla14 wrote:
This is way over the top. I have good numbers (but a sub 3.9 gpa!) and think I wrote a strong, quirky ps, but certainly I have not been obviously successful since I graduated from college almost five years ago, and did not write anything specific for Stanford (though one prof did fill out the statement of instructor), but still I got in. I'm not sure what they're looking for, but for everyone who did not helm a Fortune 500 company before applying to Stanford, don't worry, you aren't headed for the automatic reject pile.

What's your occupation and what's your LSAT, if you don't mind me asking?

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:08 pm

l000needles wrote:

They should make that a category in USNWR rankings. Then Virginia would give everyone a car.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

bleedblue wrote:
l000needles wrote:

They should make that a category in USNWR rankings. Then Virginia would give everyone a car.

+1 billion, although I'm sure Dean Z would come up with something amazing as well.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:12 pm

My phone is now physically broken, so I can't carry it around with me even though it still functionally works. That means I have to go to work and school all day and not ever know if I got the call until I get home at 5. It's like the decision is now done by snail mail for me.

dot

Postby dot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 pm

hoopla14 wrote:
SLS2011 wrote:

+1

Seriously, SLS2011 may have some pretty accomplished friends/acquaintances, but this is not necessarily representative whole Stanford class (though I'm sure it's full of smart and accomplished people, maybe just not so in-your-face accomplished!)

LegallyBrunette3

Postby LegallyBrunette3 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:16 pm

I feel like the boards have been pretty quiet with decisions recently. This scares me...

hoopla14

Postby hoopla14 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
hoopla14 wrote:

What's your occupation and what's your LSAT, if you don't mind me asking?

PM'd.

steeler363

Postby steeler363 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:08 pm

dot wrote:
l000needles wrote:

Haha, can't tell how sarcastic that is. But the shirt is nice. Wish it were red/cardinal, but I guess white made sense to save costs. I've got my fingers crossed for a Yale mug :)

I will trade my Yale mug for a Stanford T-Shirt.

dot

Postby dot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:25 pm

steeler363 wrote:
dot wrote:
l000needles wrote:

I will trade my Yale mug for a Stanford T-Shirt.

Is that because you're going to go to Yale and can get a new one there?

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Post lunch calls?? :D Can't give good news on an empty stomach!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”